PDA

View Full Version : HD's use of the PS3 CPU.

omega329
7th April 2008, 05:27 PM
I was wondering, how much of the PS3's CPU(s) is used in an average situation?

eLhabib
7th April 2008, 05:49 PM
I'd say about 17.5 gram

omega329
7th April 2008, 08:09 PM
I was looking for a percentage of used processor power...

eLhabib
7th April 2008, 08:53 PM
No ****!
What I meant to say by that statement is that the question itself didn't mean anything in real-world terms. All those statements we often hear about how this game or that game uses about 40% or 90% or whatever of a system's capability are total and complete BS. It's just something devs like to say to innocent customers to make them feel good about bragging with their game which looks oh so good but hey, just imagine, it only uses so-and-so much of the systems power! Just imagine how powerful my (enter system of choice) is!
It's PR, nothing else. If you count by these 'stats', then games like God of War use around 300% of the PS2's power, because they thought they were at 100% years before that.
In general, you can expect that, while wipEout HD looks phenomenal now, you will look at it in 3 years, popping it in just for a little retro feel inbetween sessions of the next wipEout after HD, and you will say 'my god, how did I think this was great-looking back in 2008'.
But hey, it looks great now, so enjoy!

Lion
8th April 2008, 04:29 AM
it's a more valid question than usual in relation to the PS3 hardware though.
it's streamed nature and the separate cores of the cell mean that the game could run entirely in the ppc/rsx portions and not use any cells at all.
I'm not a programmer, so I don't know to what the cell cores are most suited, for all I know the type of calculations used in a wipeout game might not be very suited to such a parallel architecture

Darkdrium777
9th April 2008, 11:19 PM
for all I know the type of calculations used in a wipeout game might not be very suited to such a parallel architecture
Who knows, since there are seven other ships on the race, perhaps one SPU per enemy AI? :g That would be Über intelligent AI I believe, but I don't think that's the case since the Cell would be short of one SPU. (There are six SPUs usable in game, one is reserved for the gameOS, and one is disabled, for eight total)

omega329
15th April 2008, 07:57 PM
well they did say that hard mode would be harder...

stin
15th April 2008, 11:24 PM
Yes!, I`m looking forward to that! But, I will need a PS3 first!:dizzy

stevie:nod