PDA

View Full Version : wipEout HD preview on the 1UP Show

eLhabib
5th April 2008, 12:58 AM
To those who haven't watched it already, I highly recommend this week's 1UP Show (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3167244). Lots of footage and very interesting comments when it comes to the sixaxis steering - they seem to really like it a lot after digging into it. I pull my hat to those guys, I was totally surprised at how well they know their w'o'', and they seem to think exactly the same as many of us about what we know so far.
Yes, they also mention the terrible, terrible HUD ;) I really hope SL are taking this into consideration.

Darkdrium777
5th April 2008, 02:10 AM
Thanks, I'm gonna watch that :)

Wow, really nice preview. :) I agree though, the HUD, although it's not that bad of a design, does not fit the game. Like they said, the menus are really nice but the HUD just doesn't go with the game.

Lance
5th April 2008, 03:14 AM
I'm watching the attempt to outflank. :evil :g

Mano
5th April 2008, 03:50 AM
Maneuvering on air is one of the reasons i love dogfighting in sims, tho im very inexperienced, i can see its truly an art, pursuit, lag pursuit, circles, yo-yos (high and low) etc etc etc, and the combinations of this maneuvers all in a free enviroment

and i would love for this to be implemented in of course a more limited plane, in a Wipeout game, in some limited way force the machine (craft, not console) to free itself from gravity for a moment that lets you maneuver like doing a roll around an oponent in a tunel and gain position for the entrance etc. not like a magnet thing, but taking advantage of inertia and the anti grav properties of the craft, more difficult but with a lot more freedom and not scripted.

Thats why i have advocated for a bit more "simulation" inclined wipeout before, though i have to say slightly sim-like, a caliber a bit below Gran Turismo would do perfectly; there are more complex sims of course, but i would like it to be just a bit more free, by giving it better physics, and i think Assayeah would love to fly more :g

i think when i have expressed this before it might have been taken a bit to the extreme side, i mean, a total sim could be very hard to digest (but i would definitely love that :D, indigestion and all), i do believe a bit more physics and realism would give WO that extra step in its evolution that could freshen it a bit more.

that being said it think HD looks great and would love to try it, though it seems you will make me spend more than i planned on games this year :D

rdmx
5th April 2008, 04:50 AM
If anyone wants the WOHD story by itself, go here
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18262

The menus look gorgeous and I like the look of those post modern things in the background. What they said was true. If they could make the in-game HUD as slick and minimalistic as the menu, the game would be even more awesome.

cybrpnk
5th April 2008, 05:08 AM
holy sh...

now I know what Egg or was it someone else meant by Tron is HD's bitch...after seeing the hyper neon effects on track with the changing colours...I want this game now!!! man...HD has put the cool back into Sony's Playstation...keep up the excellent work...

Sausehuhn
5th April 2008, 09:09 AM
The menus are prefect! Really!

Please give us back a WO3/Menu-like HUD! And get rid of this pixel-font and use the same, clear, Arial-like font you use for the menus!
I swear it's better to read and hell yeah it fits to the menus!

eLhabib
5th April 2008, 10:36 AM
Word.

Axel
5th April 2008, 03:01 PM
Very nice, ok they need to get rid of that HUD, it is really sticking out like a sore thumb seeing the game in motion.

AbstractPanda
7th April 2008, 04:13 PM
This looks incredible. I was really on the fence about picking up a PS3 but now that I have seen this it really seems like a possibility. Though yes, I really do think they need to do something about the HUD. I'm really happy with how well they did the motion controls.

Anyone else thinking of using Sixaxis controls playing WOHD?

taqili
7th April 2008, 05:38 PM
Yep, I'm gonna do the sixaxis thing. I'm a big fan of subtlety and despite being a gamer for 15+ years, I think I can say that as far as driving/flying is concerned, I'd rather use my arms than my thumbs.

blixabargeld
7th April 2008, 05:42 PM
love the guys from SL... LOVE

Axel
7th April 2008, 10:44 PM
I'll give the motion controls a try but I have a feeling that the analogue stick will do for me :)

Lion
8th April 2008, 04:32 AM
I thought it was strange in the 1up video that they talked of sixaxis and dpad, but neither of them mentioned analogue stick at all.
I was ready to dismiss sixaxis entirely until watching that video though, so they have at least convinced me to try and learn it.
I suspect I will still be going back to analogue stick with tilt pitch, however.

eLhabib
8th April 2008, 08:22 AM
same here. I think I will try sixaxis, combined with nosecam view (which I normally don't use) - that sounds like the perfect combination for total immersion. However, for competitive play I think it will be analogue stick for me.

Spaceboy Gajo
8th April 2008, 02:41 PM
"Zone went all the way back to Pure."

Was what I believe one of the reviewers said. He also said he's been playing Wipeout for ten years. During those ten years he either accidentally forgot about Fusion or purposely forgot about it. Like trying hard not to think about it's existence.

Comic Book Guy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comic_Book_Guy) aside, it was great to hear guys other than us on the forums geek out the series let alone HD. Always good to see more Wipeout fans. I agree with them about the HUD. I remember seeing pics of it before the review, but they brought about a good point about the HUD being functional especially when you need to quickly take a glance at it.

When I first saw the review I was like, fat chance I'm going to use the motion controls. However, after reading the follow up threads and having a conversation about classic controls in another game I will give it a go. You see, the conversation I was having last night was with another hardcore NHL (EA Sports) player. He didn't like the new control scheme. He was telling me he couldn't get used to them. I was telling him, I was like that but I just kept playing and after a while and up to now I cannot go back to the old controls. I feel like it's second nature now. Hoping that this will be the same for HD.

Maybe I'll even the first person view a try too. Been third person from the beginning.

Linchpin
8th April 2008, 03:28 PM
I'm really keen to try out the dual shock 3 controller with this game , I thought it was awesome how he said the controller vibrates when your pitch isn't in-tune with the track . I'm sure the sixaxis motion sensing will be an awesome thing to get used to , still dont think it will surpass the feeling of a neggie :rolleyes:

But imagine a negcon with the motion sensing technology for pitch control , now that my friends , would be the ultimate controller! :nod

Darkdrium777
11th April 2008, 12:21 AM
I too plan on getting a DualShock 3 for this game. That pitch bit also got me in the bandwagon for buying a DS3. :g