PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout HD HUD

ben10
3rd April 2008, 12:21 PM
Just had a quick look at the Wipeout HD gameplay footage over at Gamersyde.com and I have to say that whilst the game looks stunning I do not like the way the new HUD shakes and stretches on screen as you fly over speed boost pads and hit obstacles. Also, the large hexagonal weapons indicator wastes a lot of visible space and contains a tiny vector drawing of your current weapon which is not very easy to see. There are times when a third of the central field of view is obscured by the HUD info and timing stats! And because its shaking and stretching its highly distracting and annoying. I hope there is a choice of HUDs available – all previous Wipeout HUDs were far less intrusive so why have they changed it? It seems a bit pointless having a shuddering pilots eye view HUD with the external ship view anyway!

Sorry for the rant on my first post but this place appears to be the best place on the web to talk about all things Wipeout. Been addicted since 2097 and am so looking forward to the HD version.

Does anyone here think the new HUD is an improvement?

eLhabib
3rd April 2008, 12:23 PM
And you are sooo right!
Welcome!

Sausehuhn
3rd April 2008, 01:30 PM
I've said it already and I'll say it again:

The HUD has a terrible design!

Hillo
3rd April 2008, 01:57 PM
The old hud version looks a lot better, it's pretty wipeout 3-ish.
Seen in this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxNEqirsmIM&NR=1

Skvall
3rd April 2008, 04:49 PM
And it didnt have the visual reaction on boost pads. =P

Hillo
3rd April 2008, 06:24 PM
Yeah, but i like the WO3 style. :P

Sausehuhn
3rd April 2008, 07:34 PM
Agreed! Agreed!
Studio Liverpool - hear us scream "Agreed!" !!

Nadia Elenova
3rd April 2008, 10:19 PM
Agreed. IMHO, HUD design can be more functional (less detailed for a faster reading) and has unnecessary info such as the amount of damage/energy absorbed from each weapon, it's the kind of things you read in the manual once and that's it.
But I think the style is cool :+, I wouldn't change it all, just fix things a bit. :p
It would be cool if you could customize it by parts, I mean if you could chose what info you want to see in the HUD: position, weapon icon, weapon info, laptime... :)

Lion
3rd April 2008, 11:03 PM
I'd leave the info displays as is, but remove all the stationary borders

ben10
4th April 2008, 02:01 PM
Good to see there is a classic Wipeout following here!

I agree with Hillo – that test footage from last year has a much more satisfying Wipeout look and feel, which I had thought was the premise for Wipeout HD – the best of classic Wipeout in High Definition. Wipeout Pure and Pulse proved that the old style could still be achieved and incorporate the new dimensions of gameplay (mag-strips and special zone tracks) without changing the basic formula too much.

Studio Liverpool should stop messing with gimmicky effects like the nauseating speed boost lurch, blurring effects and the overly obtrusive HUD or they risk losing the classic Wipeout experience like what happened with Fusion.

I agree that Wipeout needs to be fresh and move forward but I would prefer these effects to be saved for the next gen Wipeout edition or at the very least provide a classic Wipeout look and feel mode for Wipeout HD. After all, this is going to be the first time that we can play the game properly on a big TV since Wipeout3!!

Axel
6th April 2008, 12:48 PM
Great to see even new users agree. Well I purchased my PS3 today, waiting for Wipeout. Man I'm going to be so hooked. Damn.

But back on topic, the HUD needs to go. I mean the only thing good is the shield damage in the middle of the screen. I did like the old style HUD a lot better to behonest. But Wipeout 3SE is also my fav wipeout as well lol.

blixabargeld
9th April 2008, 07:48 PM
i don't like the new hud too, and the boost reaction could be annoying in phantom class..
but i feel that hud design is still to define. :nod

omega329
9th April 2008, 08:19 PM
well, I actually like the design of the HUD:g *pauses for audince's reaction* however, I think it may be improved with a bit less "non-functional pretty stuff". Also, the fuzzy, out of tune thing when you land a jump annoys me, fine for weapon hits, but the craft should be designed for taking jumps and shouldn't be malfunctioning.

For the record, I like the design by itself, however it does not suit the menus and the look of the game.

ColdRem'S
9th April 2008, 08:59 PM
I prefer by far the old one we've seen last year, in the WO3 style, like Hillo said before just like in the game menus. I would even say that the HUD is the biggest drawback to me in HD right now. It contrasts too much with the fantastic design of the ships. That's why I hope they change this crappy HUD before they release the game.

G'Kyl
10th April 2008, 10:28 AM
Somehow I doubt SL will go back to the old Pulse HUD, but I too hope they'll overhaul the current one. However, I love the muted sounds with shields active, status critical and while being airborne! I think it does a lot to make HD feel more dynamic and intense than what was before.

Ben

taqili
10th April 2008, 02:58 PM
It seems the reaction to the HUD has been nothing but negative from everyone who has commented... I wonder why it hasn't changed?

Egg
10th April 2008, 06:57 PM
Because all the videos you've seen over the last week or so are from the same build.

taqili
10th April 2008, 08:02 PM
I love you.

Axel
10th April 2008, 08:56 PM
nice :)

eLhabib
10th April 2008, 09:02 PM
THIS is the best news you could give us. THANK YOU!

ColdRem'S
10th April 2008, 10:24 PM
+1, thank you Egg for bringing what seems to be an excellent news!:g

Skvall
11th April 2008, 09:04 AM
Nice if true! Make them more like the menus plz. :]

Colin Berry
11th April 2008, 01:44 PM
Uhm, Jon was not saying the HUD has been changed, it has not (and small refinements aside it will not be) he was pointing out all the reason it hasnt changed from video to video (as asked "I wonder why it hasn't changed? ") is that the videos are from the same build.

eLhabib
11th April 2008, 01:57 PM
Not to sound cocky, but why exactly hasn't there been any change? I'm not saying that you should take wozone feedback into consideration (and we certainly appreciate the wishes you already fulfilled), but it wasn't only us who criticised the HUD. This HUD is pretty much the only thing that has been criticised all over the media on wipEout HD. Why ignore that when you still have the possibility to react to it and remove the only real point of criticism so far? This is really disappointing imo.

Sausehuhn
11th April 2008, 02:15 PM
Signed.

Well I'm happy if you guys just throw in a bit of old G|C-code again and make the old WO3-like HUD from the G|C-release as a 2nd option. Better than nothing at all.
Cause even though I really love the whole design (for me it's a mix between WO3 and WOPure - which is definitely something good!!) the HUD is the thing where the game fails.

Colin Berry
11th April 2008, 02:15 PM
not to sound arsey. . . :)

Peoples opinions on the style are opinion, some will like it some wont (I like it, I dont want the HUD to look like it came from Wipeout 3 or 2097 but thats my opinion and its not my final decision anyway, it lies with the Art and Game director so my opinion on the style is actually not that relevant)

The first iteration was changed because there was significant opinion within the team to change it. This second iteration is liked far more with in the team.

Opinion on the functionality such as 1up mentioning ease of glancing critical info has been taken on board and that is why it has been refined slightly. But we cant go changing styles to suit feedback, some people dislike it, some like it, who do you listen to ? in the end you listen to the people concerned in the crafting of it, and trust their judgement.

As for having the opportunity to change it, (even if we wanted to which we dont) thats a huge and incorrect assumption at this stage of development

eLhabib
11th April 2008, 02:40 PM
thanks for the reply. totally understand. I don't see the connection between the perfectly minimal menu and the overdone HUD, I think there's a major split in design and overall feel, but as you said, it's just an opinion.
still, if there ever will be an opportunity to download a different HUD style in the future, a lot of people would appreciate it :)

infoxicated
11th April 2008, 03:34 PM
The front end might well have been designed with copies of WipEout 3, The Great Big Book of Stuff The Designers Republic Have Done, and some tracing paper, but at least it has a strong, consistent theme throughout.

I think what's jarring about the HUD is that it shatters that consistency. It's pretty obvious they were designed by different people at different times, and that and the similarity to the Fusion HUD brings back memories of when WipEout went really, really wrong.

Axel
11th April 2008, 05:47 PM
Ah well bit of a shame that. But hey, you guys are the boss. But I actually don't like it (paying customer) :P. But hey, we got to have something to complain about at least :)

Sausehuhn
11th April 2008, 05:54 PM
Agreed, Rob.
I don't want to offend anybody here - but people are always talking about "games must suit the customer because he's the boss". And then, when the customer obviously says what he doesn't like nobody wants to hear his opinion. Oh well...

Axel
11th April 2008, 06:01 PM
Agreed, Rob.
I don't want to offend anybody here - but people are always talking about "games must suit the customer because he's the boss". And then, when the customer obviously says what he doesn't like nobody wants to hear his opinion. Oh well...

LOL I feel your pain dude. I'm sure they might throw in the option for a second HUD as a download option maybe?

omega329
11th April 2008, 06:57 PM
knowing sony, It'll cost £5 to download a new hud...

Colin Berry
11th April 2008, 07:20 PM
Agreed, Rob.

TBH, and I dont want to offend either but that is crap

We pay A LOT of attention to constructive opinion and ideas on here and have done for over 6 years, but we cant listen to it all and neither should we, because we'd be back n forth like a yoyo. You cant satisfy everyone.
What about the people who like the HUD, we disregard what they think because some others dont like it ?

To say
"And then, when the customer obviously says what he doesn't like nobody wants to hear his opinion. Oh well... ?"
Kind of pisses me off given the amount we have listened, I mean thats a nice kick in the teeth, forget the times we have listened and pick one were we disagree, and say nobody wants to hear..

We do listen to constructive criticism and comment (not "its terrible", or "its not enough like wipeout 3" - because thats opinion and not constructive at all)
Sometimes we listen to feedback and act, sometimes we disagree with it and dont, and its our job to make make these choices, its our jobs and careers so we dont just make willy nilly decisions without thought or reason we take on board comment and make a decision, thats what we have to do and sometimes person A will love it and person B wont and sometimes vice versa. When it comes to the HUD style its the Art Director and Game Director who take on board that info and comment and make a decision and thats thier job.

But please do not ever accuse us of not wanting to hear opinion when it is negative because thats just bull and hardly fair at all

Axel
11th April 2008, 07:37 PM
Don't sweat it dude, and we appreciate what you do. Your right, you can't please everybody and I'm sure this game will turn out great.

Here is my overall criticism. It feels too big and cluttered TBH. It takes up far too much space for something I only take less than a second to look at if you catch my drift? But if you guys disagree, least i know you did while reading our posts. Which is better than not listening at all.

Thanks, now get back to cooking our game!! ;)

blixabargeld
11th April 2008, 08:47 PM
anyway, it's not so important how the HUD is going to look.. It's just because people on this site use to discuss on almost everything, as it is really easy to see from just the titles of some threads..;)

Alex_Se
11th April 2008, 10:29 PM
Acctualy i value the looks of a game a lot! This includes the HUD.
I'm pretty disapointed with this one. :( The one on the first demo was better looking.

Sausehuhn
11th April 2008, 10:38 PM
Sorry, Colin, I didn't meant to sound rude or something.
I know you guys are taking a look at these forums and I really appreciate that, believe me :)

But that won't change my feelings about the HUD. It simply doesn't fit to the rest of the game's style and I do not see any need of pixel fonts for a TV-based game. It makes sense on a small screen with less space (actually that's what pixel fonts are made for), but on huge screen I prefer more traditional fonts such as Arial or Helvetica.
To me those look less "lost" on a huge screen and they are more legible.
Also a white/blue color spectrum makes more sense to me when I look at the menus.
For me, the HUD simply doesn't fit to the menus - and that's what HUDs in WO always did in the past.

Surely, I speak just for myself.

Lion
11th April 2008, 11:25 PM
@foxxy, your comment about the big book.. made me laugh :)

and for everyone that's worked on the game... I can't wait to get my hands on it, and if the HUD design is the only design decision that we're complaining about, (what I imagine is a fairly small portion of the total work that's gone into this title) then you can at least be happy that the rest of the game is as close to satisfying all of the people all of the time as humanly possible :)
good work, and I eagerly await the ability to buy woHD

Assimilator
23rd April 2008, 07:59 AM
ok since thread got closed rather than moved/merged

heres on 2 cents worth on ths topic that has since gone off topic

Ok guys i'm happy with the current design of the hud and to be frank, at eye bursting speeds your not even gonna notice it's there once you have your eyes fixed on the track and your enemys.

But Studio Liverpool what about this for an idea give the bloody wingers about the HUD, a HUD skinning tool. and let them alter the hud to how they see fit?

Skvall
23rd April 2008, 09:25 AM
There are actually a thread about the HUD. (and this is not the one..)

But regarding your suggestion I think that the HUD is not that important to steal time from other things. Would take less time to just change the HUD, I would prefer that if anything.

I think totally customizeable HUD are more important in games like Quake than in Wipeout. And even there the developers doesnt have that option. The community makes it themself.(they have done so for Q3 and maybe Q4 too..)

xEik
23rd April 2008, 04:27 PM
There are actually a thread about the HUD. (and this is not the one..)

I moved your posts to the correct thread.

Sch@dows
18th July 2008, 08:43 AM
It's kind of late, but i will still give my opinion based on gamersyde videos.

The HUD itself has clearly that wipeout touch i expected to find. But I must admit that the screen is a little overloaded when the time difference is display.
I understand that with WO speed, temporary information should be display where it is easier/quicker to see, but maybe the text could have been enough (no box around it).

that thing appart, I like te distortion effect when passing on boost pod, and the scale displayed in Zone mode.

Do someone knows if the fisheye effect on the HUD which was available on Pulse will also be available on WOHD ?

Thanks.
I really liked this one !!!

Axel
18th July 2008, 11:54 AM
This is a point that has been argued for ages. I am hoping that the artist who designed the HUD took note and that they have made some changes to the HUD. TBH, I would prefer the option to have two HUDS. The one from the preview vids of last year and the one they had now.

The one they have now will look clattered on my normal 4:3 TV :(

I think they have made some changes hopefully. Infact I'm praying that they have because apart from the floatiness, this is my biggest gripe about the game.

Sch@dows
18th July 2008, 12:06 PM
I've only seen the HUD from the press build release in march (thx gamersyde).
Do you have some vids or screens from an earlier version, please ?

Axel
18th July 2008, 12:11 PM
I'm at work so I can't get the direct link for you. check out www.gametrailers.com . Search for wipeout HD vids and check out the earlier ones. The HUD had a minimalistic theme to it.

Sch@dows
25th July 2008, 08:37 AM
Yeah I saw them and I think that even if the new one isn't perfect, it IS quite an accomplishment compared to the first one ^_^.
Since the annoncement through TVG, it seems that multipe HUD will be available (maybe customizing will be possible like the skins in Pure, or the ships' in Pulse ... let's hope so ^_~

HISHO[JP]
25th August 2008, 10:42 AM
I dislike the HD's HUD...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=2pQpzGLcvEc&fmt=18

......:?!?

:eek

eLhabib
25th August 2008, 10:46 AM
That's on of the optional retro HUD designs. This one is from wipEout 2097, and there's another one from wip3out.

Fascia
25th August 2008, 10:53 AM
I don't suppose the 2097 hud comes with a 2097 announcer, does it?

Sch@dows
25th August 2008, 11:15 AM
Personnally, I prefer that HUD to the HD original one which is (that's only my opinion) too thin and difficult to read (maybe because there a lot of information display on the center of the screen ^_^).
Does someone know if there will be Pure HUD (with fisheye effect) ?

Wip3ou7
25th August 2008, 11:29 AM
wow did you see the way the ship tumbled down the track as it exploded at the end there?? TIGHT! and that XL hud looks perfect! HD is going to be so amazing. ill never need to buy another video game ever again.

ben10
25th August 2008, 12:33 PM
11th hour request for Team HD (Colin Berry and co)...
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for de-cluttering the HUD central field of view – it looks so much cleaner without the timing stats in the center. Also the inclusion of the retro HUDs is pure genius!

However, I notice that the HUD dynamic effects are still present. This is the single most annoying aspect of the HD gameplay videos from the past few months and I think its unfair to impose this effect on us after 13 years of Wipeouts without it. It seriously makes me want to chuck – particularly after watching a few laps of Anulpha Pass! There is enough dynamic action going on on-screen already without the need for any motion on the HUD and on two player mode it looks even worse!

Can we please have the option to disable the HUD stretching and shaking effects!! Hell if you can offset the coordinates of the timing stats to the top left of the screen I really don’t see the problem with a simple boolean flag to disable the HUD animation.

C’mon guys, if you really expect us to fork out >£300 quid to play this game (OK – I will be able to use the PS3 to play BluRay discs too but I mainly want it for WipeoutHD!) could you please give me the option to experience the game how I want to play it?

DawnFireDragoon
25th August 2008, 12:54 PM
agreed, the inclusion of the 2097 HUD is a huge improvement, it looks sooooo good, but the motion stuff does need to be optional. plus with the art direction for that track, it now belongs in f-zero...in my opinion. kinda wish they based the whole style on 2097, 3 or pure rather than the neon-esque pulse.

supersocks
25th August 2008, 01:01 PM
First I thought there was something wrong with the 2097 HUD. Then I realized speedometer read 600 or 700 kph instead of 300 :P

Sausehuhn
25th August 2008, 01:36 PM
Does someone have pictures of the WO3-HUD? Can't wait to see that as it matches perfect with the menu style :)

Axel
25th August 2008, 02:04 PM
Thats what i thought, the menu screens are so Wipeout 3 lol. When you play the actual game, the HUD takes you completely away from it all lol. I will definitely be using WO3 HUD :D

Darkdrium777
25th August 2008, 04:45 PM
The XL hud looks awesome, thanks for the video ;)

Rapier Racer
25th August 2008, 09:24 PM
I'm also curious to see the WO3 HUD, although the 2097 one looks ace I think I'll be using WO3 HUD providing it's as good as that one.

cybrpnk
25th August 2008, 09:27 PM
wow did you see the way the ship tumbled down the track as it exploded at the end there?? TIGHT! and that XL hud looks perfect! HD is going to be so amazing. ill never need to buy another video game ever again.

Haha...my thoughts exactly...SL has brought back WipEout giving games that element of the future cool once again...and damn is this future super cool...!!!

Could this be my last game ever for this year??? Hmmm...

RJ O'Connell
26th August 2008, 01:42 AM
I'm also curious to see the WO3 HUD, although the 2097 one looks ace I think I'll be using WO3 HUD providing it's as good as that one.
I want to see what the weapon icons will be like, specifically for weapons like Cannon, Bomb, and Turbo that weren't in WO3.

BARTgai
26th August 2008, 01:48 AM
I think the retro huds are great, and I can't wait to see the wipEout 3 one. That will be my choice as I loved the design in the original game.

On a side note, that crash at the end was EPIC WIN :eek :g

RJ O'Connell
26th August 2008, 01:55 AM
Wonder if we'll see Burnout-esque 100x rolls. ;)

Linchpin
28th August 2008, 08:50 PM
I don't suppose the 2097 hud comes with a 2097 announcer, does it?

I was also wondering if it does , that would be way too cool!

eLhabib
29th August 2008, 08:20 AM
Not that I noticed, no.

Linchpin
29th August 2008, 12:21 PM
Bummer!
Ahwell , can't wait to see the WO3 HUD , that one will suite the game so well I reckon .
On a side note watching all these new vids , a thing I'm really happy about is that the floatyness seems to have increased slightly YAY!

Rapier Racer
29th August 2008, 08:53 PM
My God, Wipeout 3 HUD, Xpander, Assegai = GOOD TIMES!! :rock

Going to feel all nostalgic like lol

RJ O'Connell
29th August 2008, 08:59 PM
Don't forget two-player Vertical Split.

Lance
29th August 2008, 09:38 PM
My God, Wipeout 3 HUD, Xpander, Assegai = GOOD TIMES!! :rock

Going to feel all nostalgic like lol

Hell, we don't even nEEd HD; we've already got Wipeout 3! ;) :beer

Linchpin
31st August 2008, 06:08 PM
haha YOU don't need HD , but I do D;

Rapier Racer
1st September 2008, 03:22 PM
lol but but Lance I like shinyness :P

DawnFireDragoon
8th September 2008, 10:52 PM
Here's a picture featuring the 3 hud's from HD, it's really bad quality (from youtube) but you can easily see the HD one's the most difficult to understand, the 2097 one wins on been the best for actually knowing what's going on and the wipeout 3 one looks nice too.

obviously they'll all look a LOT better in full HD.

but there you go...

Darkdrium777
9th September 2008, 12:16 AM
I am downloading the high quality preview of elHabib, I will make higher quality screenshots when I get it ;)

DawnFireDragoon
9th September 2008, 12:29 AM
awesome.

you'll have to forgive my quick 'print screen, paste into paint' job!!! :lol

metalpancake
9th September 2008, 01:11 AM
I reckon they should also have a WO pure Hud. I liked that one. nostalgic and new at the same time.:P

xtriko
9th September 2008, 01:58 AM
maybe they add pure and pulse HUD with DLC. it would be a good idea I think.

Darkdrium777
9th September 2008, 04:18 AM
Attached images ;)

DawnFireDragoon
9th September 2008, 10:22 PM
both, look very nice! i doubt anyone will be using the HD one for long!

Rapier Racer
9th September 2008, 10:47 PM
I think if the game attracts new fans they might, a lot of newbies to the series won't be bothered by the HUD I bet. And by that I mean they have no taste :P

DawnFireDragoon
9th September 2008, 10:57 PM
true, noobs may enjoy it. and that's fine, i think by putting in the classic HUD's SL have covered all bases. a good decision and one which proves they listen to the fans! (the one's, as you put it, with taste!!!) :)

BARTgai
10th September 2008, 12:23 AM
WipEout 3 hud! :eek I LOVE IT!

trentdf
13th September 2008, 03:01 AM
hey i was just wondering about using the old huds, does this mean they have to add new symbols for new weapons, and in the case of wip3out, change the missile and rocket symbol? or would they just use HD symbols for everything

BARTgai
13th September 2008, 03:19 AM
From the videos I have seen, it looks like they use the same style as the hud. ie: the rockets on the 2097 hud are the three ticks in a triangle like the original game. The others like leech are most likely adapted to that style.

trentdf
13th September 2008, 04:02 AM
ok kool, for some reason this excites me:lol

Sausehuhn
13th September 2008, 08:58 AM
That's right for the WO2097 HUD, but the WO3 HUD uses - unfortunately - the WOHD symbols.

Axel
13th September 2008, 02:20 PM
Really? Dang I didn't know this. Ah well at least we have the HUD in the first place. We can't really complain.

DawnFireDragoon
17th September 2008, 08:15 PM
does anyone know if the shakey HUD and zoom effect stuff can be turned off, because i got really excited by the classic HUD's, but all the vids i've seen of the classic HUD's have this effect too...as well as the red flash of damage. i find the effect a bit over the top and why would a HUD do that in the future anyway.

i get the idea, make it feel like your there really hitting stuff e.t.c, e.t.c, but i don't like it and would really....REALLY, like to know if this is an optional thing in HD.

any input, at, all, would be apreciated. :)

Rubix42
17th September 2008, 08:17 PM
I lub the 2097/XL HUD.

Ugh, 8 days. This feels like an eternity.

Sausehuhn
17th September 2008, 09:25 PM
Seems like you cannot turn off the motion blur an the red flash effect.

eLhabib
17th September 2008, 09:53 PM
Indeed, you cannot.

DawnFireDragoon
17th September 2008, 09:58 PM
damn. :(

i really hoped it would be optional as it's such an extreme effect. oh well, thanks for clearing that one up for me guys.

eLhabib
17th September 2008, 10:04 PM
Honestly, when you're racing, you don't notice. Don't judge from watching videos of the game. Playing it yourself is a whole different deal.
Oddly enough, as much as I hated the HD HUD when I saw the first screens of it, now I prefer it over the 2 old-school HUDs. Why? Because it's simply better organized and easier to read (weird, ey? :paperbag)

DawnFireDragoon
17th September 2008, 10:19 PM
the thing is, it was one of the things that bugged me in pulse (also not optional in that game) i admit after a bit it wasn't noticible...or i just got better and didn't hit anything!!! it looks a lot more intense in HD, but i would like to play it to see, not just that but also to see a few other things i'm unsure about (art direction things, but that's my personal opinion) but with it been a download title i can't go into a shop and play a demo and not a single one of my friends, all gamers to some degree, owns a ps3 or really wants one. i'm hoping for some good solid 'real' reviews. looking forward to the 1up one and any by regular gamers on youtube.

Sch@dows
17th September 2008, 11:31 PM
well, I must say I prefere HD's HUD to Wip3Out's one, but 2097 is still my favorite.
I'd love to get Pure/Pulse's HUD with the fisheye effect that was available on the PSP game.

eLhabib
18th September 2008, 08:22 AM
See, that's another weird thing: where's the fisheye HUD? I'm quite sure I've seen it in earlier videos... :?

Sch@dows
18th September 2008, 08:46 AM
I didn't see at all. The Zone Mode with the speed scale on the left, or the "steering" assist look like fisheye effect but that' all.
I had love this effect since it gave the impression that the HUD was displayed on the cockpit glass or directly on the pilot's helmet.

Maybe later with the new tracks (hidden request spotted n_n).

Axel
18th September 2008, 09:44 AM
Hmmmmmmmm I think i'll still be using the WO3 HUD. HD HUD clutters the screen too much. I'm a minnimalist so thats probably why.

ben10
18th September 2008, 10:45 AM
Yep – I totally agree! The standard HD HUD simply gets in the way of all that beautifully rendered Wipeout action, so the clear and minimalist WO3 HUD looks to be the best option for me too. Lets hope it doesn’t take too long to unlock it!

eLhabib – I meant to say thanks for posting your excellent video interview with Tony at Leipzig. The sequence with the Icarus ship and WO3 HUD finally convinced me to jump in head first and get myself a PS3! Only one week to go now...

eLhabib
18th September 2008, 10:49 AM
Yay! I sold a PS3! ;) Tell Sony, maybe I'll get commission :D

Sch@dows
18th September 2008, 11:49 AM
Not fair !!! I sold (help selling) 4 PS3 just by showing the Hi-Def video from gamersyde u_u
Who said WO is a game just for hardcore gamer ^_^

Back on topic, I think there is a limit between minimalist HUD and ... empty HUD like WO3 one.
This is futurist races, so futuristic HUD should come with it n_n

Chill
19th September 2008, 03:20 AM
I did hate the HUD on Wipeout HD when I played it at the gaming convention... trust me you're **** out of luck for knowing what current condition your energy is... and the lap and position numerals aren't visible enough... you have to look at them for several seconds... thank god for the new HUDs... WO3 HUD all the WAY!!!

Flashback Jack
19th September 2008, 06:48 PM
you're **** out of luck for knowing what current condition your energy is...

Sarcasm? The energy indicator frames the weapon icons, top middle of the screen on the new HD HUD.

- F

Chill
19th September 2008, 09:24 PM
No -F I mean you don't know exactly how much energy you have... all you know is when everything starts flashing, you better GET SOME!!! haha...

Nadia Elenova
26th September 2008, 04:29 PM
Just unlocked the 2097 HUD!!
I love it, when I first played with it, I keep the rest of the race absorving and picking up weapons just to see the new weapon icons.
And the font style... I love that font :dizzy.

Dogg Thang
26th September 2008, 04:33 PM
2097 HUD. So that guy (forgotten who) who made a bunch of claims some time back turned out to be spot-on after all.

RJ O'Connell
26th September 2008, 04:34 PM
As well as the Wipeout 3 HUD.

SouthendRage
26th September 2008, 04:40 PM
Just got the Wip3out HUD, pretty cool. I feel all nostalgic when I use the Goteki 45 craft....

Rubix42
26th September 2008, 04:43 PM
Are they just unlocked through campaign play, or does it require something special?

Axel
26th September 2008, 04:45 PM
Unlocked through gameplay. I think to need 10k career points for the WO3 one. But no disrespect to the SL team. But the old HUDs are so much better and clearer. So easy to read especially WO3 HUD. That HUD will be my default for life :)

SouthendRage
26th September 2008, 04:54 PM
I think they are unlocked through loyalty points with a team, the Wip3out HUD is released at 10.000 loyalty points.

Darkdrium777
26th September 2008, 04:57 PM
WipEout 3 HUD looks fantastic! Although a smaller screen percentage is recommended or else you've got to go far into the corner to read it, but it looks really good.
The only thing I wish for the HUD is that you could use HD's in Zone and 3's in race, because the Zone HUD is fantastic as well!

Sausehuhn
26th September 2008, 05:53 PM
I like the WO3 HUD very much. Looks very clean.
Same for Zone Mode. There's very little covered by the HUD - and that's perfect for me.

Skvall
29th September 2008, 12:16 AM
The only thing I wish for the HUD is that you could use HD's in Zone and 3's in race

That was exactly what I was thinking! That would be great.

But WO3's are so the best HUD in this game. Its really beautiful and it works good with the menus in the game. It should be the default HUD imo. =P

Thanks to the developers for listening to the criticism on the HD HUD.

taqili
29th September 2008, 02:01 AM
WipEout 3 HUD looks fantastic! Although a smaller screen percentage is recommended or else you've got to go far into the corner to read it, but it looks really good.
The only thing I wish for the HUD is that you could use HD's in Zone and 3's in race, because the Zone HUD is fantastic as well!

vouch all of this -- w3o is how we roll and HD for zone because it's so much clearer

HydrogLox
29th September 2008, 02:31 AM
The legacy HUDs lack the proximity indicator (doesn't seem to be explained in the game guide but Colin mentioned it in at least one of his interviews (http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/ps3/previews/wipeout-hd-c482ab.html)) of the HD HUD.

You can use it to:

judge when somebody is sneaking up on you (especially useful when you're in first place)
block (non-turbo) passing attempts (as long you don't expose yourself to forward facing weapons)
perfectly align mine and bomb drops in front of the craft behind you
judge when to start a pulse to (in most cases) eliminate the passing craft

Darkdrium777
29th September 2008, 02:36 AM
AFAIK the WO3 HUD also has the proximity indicator, although it is less precise than the HD HUD. But I still don't need it, just drop mines and bombs onto the speed or weapon pads :twisted It worked well enough for me until now.

Sausehuhn
29th September 2008, 10:54 AM
Yes, it does have it.
It's the little yellow arrow that was, originally in WO3, for pointing to the pitlane (if I remember correctly).

mdhay
30th September 2008, 05:38 PM
There were two arrows. The one on HD's hud is the exact same one in the exact same place, but since there's no pit(:)/:(), there's no second arrow.:)

Rubix42
30th September 2008, 05:42 PM
Am I the only one using the 2097 HUD?

Maybe it's because that was the first game in the series I ever played, but I feel like I'm back in my comfort zone. Plus, I love all the weapon icons on the 2097 HUD. Pure awesome if you ask me.

infoxicated
30th September 2008, 05:46 PM
I just opened th W3 HUD about an hour ago and used it for a tournament. Suddenly everything is right with the world. :)

What's weird is the green text for "Final Lap" - I don't remember that from WipEout 3. Which is odd, because the graphic design team at Studio Liverpool seem to have had no problem perfectly copying everything else the Designers Republic have ever done.

Maybe it was just a green-ish shade of tracing paper they were using that particular day?

mdhay
30th September 2008, 05:59 PM
From What I Can Remember it should have been orange, and there wasn't a Final Lap message at all.

Lance
30th September 2008, 06:11 PM
I don't recall any final lap message in WO3 NTSC. Or even GT for that matter. :D

mdhay
30th September 2008, 06:20 PM
See, that's another weird thing: where's the fisheye HUD? I'm quite sure I've seen it in earlier videos... :?

It's there, but only in internal, and not as "strong" as the Pulse Concave effect.

infoxicated
30th September 2008, 06:42 PM
On the HUD's overall, I hate the zooming effect when you hit a speed pad. Don't mind the interference when you take a knock, but the zooming just does my head in.

zerojay
30th September 2008, 07:54 PM
What's weird is the green text for "Final Lap"

They updated the HUDs to have all the features of the original HD HUD. Notice how it also writes in green who eliminated whom during a race? Never happened in Wo3 either.

infoxicated
30th September 2008, 08:06 PM
Holey **** - you can eliminate people?!1! :o

//must. try. harder.

;)

zerojay
30th September 2008, 08:11 PM
Well, it's the HD version of elimination, which means "not at all, but a quarter second penalty".

G'Kyl
30th September 2008, 10:13 PM
OK, I just had it! Firstly: I use the 2097 HUD - hell, is there even another? ;) But what's driving me crazy is that I must not LOOK at the HUD when the race is about to start. Because you know what I do? Thanks to an unconsious reflex, I keep pressing the accelerator immediately - in order to rev up turbo start energy. Only happens with the legacy HUD. Damn nostalgia!!!
Gotta love it. :))

Ben

lunar
30th September 2008, 10:21 PM
:lol some serious mental conditioning there!

I think a final lap indicator is vital. I can`t always keep count to four, let alone five, when in the midst of some of the more terrifying battles you can get into.

Sch@dows
1st October 2008, 07:33 AM
I unlocked WO2097 HUD yesterday and I only played a couple of race with it.
The design est much more cool than the HD one, but it's also way to large !!!
The weapon slot, when filled, is a pain in the *ss, and the energy scale is way to hard to read especially in critical battles.

I also unlocked W3O HUD, but haven't tested yet. I will but for now HD is the more user friendly for me.

I don't like the position indicator in tournament. I don't care whose in front of me, since I only need to be 1st ^_~. I only need to now how many ships are in front of me like in single race mode.

trentdf
1st October 2008, 08:09 AM
What's weird is the green text for "Final Lap" - I don't remember that from WipEout 3.

There was a final lap message in special edition, and it was yellow.

ColdRem'S
1st October 2008, 08:31 AM
I've unlocked both HUDs (campaign finished) and I LOVE the Wo3 HUD. It is beautiful and easy to read. :twisted

Axel
1st October 2008, 08:54 AM
The WO3 HUD is perfect. Yeah you don't get the indicator of who is behind you, but meh. I'm old school hardcore. I don't want everything done for me :)

ColdRem'S
1st October 2008, 09:46 AM
Look closer Axel, there's a little yellow arrow on the left lower side of the Wo3 HUD. However it doesn't show how far is your follower.

Axel
1st October 2008, 10:04 AM
Ah, I saw that playing on my HD TV, couldn't really notice it on my normal TV lol. Well nevermind, i wont be looking at it anyway :)

zerojay
1st October 2008, 02:41 PM
:lol some serious mental conditioning there!

I think a final lap indicator is vital. I can`t always keep count to four, let alone five, when in the midst of some of the more terrifying battles you can get into.

Look at the billboard at the finish line where the race countdown is. It says "FINAL LAP" and you also hear it.

Sausehuhn
1st October 2008, 02:47 PM
Now that I think about it: Would have been nice to have the checkpoint sound of WO2097/WO3 when crossing the laser, depending on which HUD is selected.

RJ O'Connell
28th December 2008, 04:32 PM
Been playing with the 2097 HUD exclusively since I unlocked it. It looks absolutely killer. I don't know if I can switch to WO3 now. :g

Lucas_RD
28th December 2008, 11:12 PM
Only one I miss is this Pulse HUD
http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/SonyPSP-Conduccion/4c/IMG2-cw466d97b56210b/wo_20070511_141348.jpg

When I used it, somehow feel of speed was doubled.:banzai
I hope SL guys bring it back in addon content.

H3avyM3tal
29th December 2008, 10:05 AM
Lucas RD, that DOES look great.
For me I have been playing with the 2097 HUD, and it looks absolutly killer on my screen (2408WFP). The screen has awseome colors that make this HUD looks amazing imo. Need to try the other aswell. Been sick of the defult HUD...

Axel
29th December 2008, 10:03 PM
Loaded the WO3 HUD and never looked back. I saw a vid with the new HUD on and was thinking which HUD was that? Totally forgot about HD original HUD lol.

OBH
30th December 2008, 03:10 PM
HD hud. Why chose one without the ship indicator is beyond me.

eLhabib
30th December 2008, 03:15 PM
I agree. Some of you may remember that I absolutely hated the new HUD when the first screenshots surfaced, but now it's the only valuable choice for me. I still like the other two HUDs better from an artistic viewpoint, but the clarity and display of useful information on the new HUD is unbeatable.

Darkdrium777
31st December 2008, 08:39 PM
All the HUDs have the same features, just placed differently, no? There's the proximity detector on 3's HUD too. After what I need is energy, lap time and position, and I'm happy. And with 3's HUD I can find that easily because there's no horizontal striping of the text written in shiny colors (If you see what I mean).

ben10
23rd July 2009, 10:51 PM
Wipeout HD Fury 2009-7

Thank you very much Studio Liverpool for finally giving us the option to disable the shaking+stretching HUD effects. Best 8 quid I ever spent. The stable display looks far more satisfying and even enhances the speed boost effect – which looks cool now! I use the HD HUD all the time now – its great to finally see through it with consistant clarity.

PS – By the way, Fury is not bad too!

PPS – Only kidding! It is a beautiful piece of work. Particularly love Aphisium reverse – wonderful lighting effects and cool airtime sequences.

I love my SL :)

Darkdrium777
23rd July 2009, 10:51 PM
The disabling of the HUD effects was there before. :)

ben10
23rd July 2009, 10:58 PM
I'll get me coat.

Darkdrium777
23rd July 2009, 11:02 PM
LOL

No you can stay xD Welcome :)

SaturnReturn
23rd July 2009, 11:48 PM
I don't think I knew about it, so thanks for raising the point. I'll look into it - might be better :)

IH8YOU
24th July 2009, 12:11 AM
HD hud. Why chose one without the ship indicator is beyond me.

First, the 2097 HUD is the best one ever, and the ship indicator is redundant if you're playing with 5.1 surround. :)

Sch@dows
24th July 2009, 12:53 PM
Any chance to see the fisheye effect (like Wipeout Pulse) in the future ?

lagoonalight
25th July 2009, 12:14 AM
I would love if they let us customize our HUD mainly if we could cut out things like the boost icon and others for speed laps and trials ciz not everyone wants that stuff taking up space ESPECIALLY the boost icon in the middle of the freakin screen. I use the Wip3out version cuz I am most comfy with that but I could really do without the largeness of the bottom icons, too.

And no HUD would also be a great option for those that want it. Many game have done this and so should this great one.