PDA

View Full Version : karbonis rapier

JABBERJAW
28th March 2008, 02:21 AM
Karbonis rapier tips, tricks, ect anyone?

1) what ship, ag is my guess
2) when is the exact time to use turbo on TT?
3) Any track jumps?

Medusa
28th March 2008, 02:55 AM
It's been awhile...but yes, AG-SYS, I use the turbo on the starting grid right after the last curve. Basically try to straight-line the track. That's all I remember.:?

lunar
30th March 2008, 09:40 AM
this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3jX1cilT58) from 03.38 is my racing line for Karbonis PAL Rapier. On NTSC it might be a little less wide into the turns because the AG Systems handles sharper on that version. My Venom lines are completely different for at least half of the track.

eLhabib
30th March 2008, 11:26 AM
wow, they really let you have it in the second race! still very nice - I never really got to terms with the bumpy chicane section of Karbonis in Rapier.

edit: just watched your Korodera video - thing of beauty, really! Made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. What's that music track? Fits prefectly. :clap

rdmx
30th March 2008, 12:37 PM
I go warm and fuzzy too :)

In any case, the song I think you are referring to is
Queens of the Stone Age - No One Knows (UNKLE Remix) - and it appears to be the instrumental version.

lunar
30th March 2008, 01:04 PM
thanks! :) That`s the right music track (the second one), with a bit of cutting and splicing to make it all happen near the right time! The first track is "Roughneck" by the Freestylers.

Martin, you might remember that I couldn`t ever get the hang of the chicanes at the end of Blue Ridge ;) Hope to see you online again with HD, I miss those Kai battles.

Al, I think the trick with those chicanes is the entry point by the Buddha jump. I don`t use any pitch or brake on rapier there. You need to go off in the middle of the track (on Rapier), and do that little "jink" to the right, in the air, before the next turn. You`ll see it in the video. This sets you up to hit the apex of every corner in the the "esses". If you don`t get the entry right you pay the price four corners later. Awesome track design, imo. Medusa might have a different method for it though. Those chicanes are hell to keep the speed up, and can really screw up a great lap.

I don`t brake anywhere on Karbonis, unless I screw up in the esses and have to correct. On Rapier for pitch I just nose down a while before the turn left down the hill, holding nose down until I land. Nose up again at the dip where I miss the double speed pad. I think on NTSC maybe I take this double speed pad, can`t remember. Nose down over the crest before the speed pad on the left (the one that moves from Venom class). I think that`s all the pitch control I do, on Rapier. Turbo I do the same place as Medusa, I think.

This track`s going to be such a fight at your place, I demand a video. :D

eLhabib
30th March 2008, 03:21 PM
The good times are gonna be back soon, don't worry. And I hope Blue Ridge is coming as a download soon!

TheFrostE
30th March 2008, 04:29 PM
i cant help you on the tips here, seeing as im apparently the only loser on here that races everything with feisar

Asayyeah
30th March 2008, 09:32 PM
you never be a loser FrostE.
You decided to stay with your beloved Feisar and everyone here is respecting your courageous choice.

Stephen : reading you is like reading bible of WipEout you definitely kick ass mate ( not talking about the effort you put on editing music to fit with your lines : amazing!!!!! )

TheFrostE
30th March 2008, 10:54 PM
Encyclopedia Stephenica? :p most definetly giving props for his WO knowledge

dobyblue
6th May 2008, 03:02 AM
i cant help you on the tips here, seeing as im apparently the only loser on here that races everything with feisar

No way dude, Feisar rules! I always race WipEout with Feisar, Peter Jackson.

I can't set times with the other ones.

I was just watching that video of Karbonis up the page and I tell you there is no way you can race those lines on the NTSC version!

lunar
6th May 2008, 09:10 AM
My feeling is that it would be possible to get close to those lines on NTSC, at least with AGS, but that wouldn`t be the fastest way for NTSC. On NTSC you can take the turns a bit tighter without causing the ship to drift. On PAL I think you have to go wide and make the turns as smooth as possible, to avoid making the ship drift and suffer a loss of speed. On NTSC I think you can aim towards making the track as short as possible, on PAL you have to make it as straight as possible. Maybe the most important thing on Karbonis is that the ship has to be going as close to a straight line as possible when you hit the speed pads, if you want the maximum boost.

After playing NTSC, a PAL AG Systems feels like Auricom, it`s great fun. In general I think the PAL version is more fun to play because of the handling difference, but it does have a lower frame rate and both are great.

dobyblue
6th May 2008, 10:09 PM
I was trying last night like crazy to set some better times with AG or Auricom than I can with Feisar on Karbonis, but I just couldn't do it.
I'm going to spend another hour right now trying!
Ha, ha.
:)

JABBERJAW
10th May 2008, 12:05 AM
try using auricom for about 20 minutes, then go back to AG, then you can make the lines

Darkdrium777
10th May 2008, 02:15 AM
Whats the matter with Auricom? I can fly it (almost) perfectly! See here (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4IiQ_2NaC88) :p
Just kidding, I know what you mean ;)

And don't mind the turbo flying off after the boost pad, I was playing PurE and you know about that bug in it... Well I thought it was the same here :)

dobyblue
7th July 2008, 08:08 PM
try using auricom for about 20 minutes, then go back to AG, then you can make the lines

You are right - I was finally able to start making the lines and shaved over 5 seconds off my best Feisar time!

Whats the matter with Auricom? I can fly it (almost) perfectly! See here (http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=4IiQ_2NaC88) :p

Absolutely smokin'!

RJ O'Connell
17th July 2008, 08:53 PM
I always race WipEout with Feisar, _Peter_ Jackson.
You mean there's another Jackson in the FEISAR system in 2052? XD (sorry, couldn't resist!)

Silly question, but who aims for any of the speed-up pads in the esses near the end of the lap?

lunar
17th July 2008, 10:22 PM
Never - most of those speed pads are only there for decoration. :naughty ;)