PDA

View Full Version : WipEout movie/series?

Delci
25th March 2008, 12:31 AM
I just thought of this randomly the other day, and thought it was too dumb to post it at a place like this, but heck, it's worth a try. It's probably a bad idea anyway, but it might be interesting too.
In the future, what if they made a Wipeout movie or series, like a live-action film or an anime? You know, technically it could work. The franchise seems big enough. It would be nice to see a novel too - maybe expanding the Wipeout universe a bit, running with the science-fiction concept. Talk about the history of Anti-Gravity racing, maybe, or describe what it's like to actually be a pilot controlling a craft in one of those high-octane races. Sometimes the manuals give a bit of storyline text (especially Pulse's!), and the descriptions in the games border on poetic.
Who knows, maybe it wouldn't be as successful. It'd be interesting to see how they would do that, though. So, am I alone on the idea, or would anyone else like to see Wipeout's horizons broadened?

kyocrisis
25th March 2008, 02:00 AM
that would be pretty cool, if they did it right lol.

blixabargeld
25th March 2008, 10:20 AM
it's a fact, all movies based on videogames sucks...

Lion
25th March 2008, 10:46 AM
ideas for a wipeout movie have been discussed several times before... but I don't remember seeing anyone put forth the idea of a series.
I think it could work really well as a cartoon/anime.
there would have to be some larger overarching plot to the show, but you could fit some cool race scenes in each episode.
Unfortunately, judging by most of the drivel on TV; I have a hard time imagining it happening with anything resembling decent writing

Delci
25th March 2008, 07:35 PM
They have several plot-possibilities if they were to turn it into a series, or even a miniseries...I wouldn't mind seeing the Burnston Burns 'balloon incident' which halted Icaras' development or maybe even if they went in-depth about the 'grey goo incident' (?) at Talon's Junction...
Something creepy they could reference to is the fact that the people in the stadium at Basilico aren't actually real (I think), because the description says that they are 'crowd avatars' (like holograms?) and that Nova Scotia was abandoned due to some kind of outbreak. WipEout meets I Am Legend?
The result? Speed Racer X on crack.

Lance
25th March 2008, 07:53 PM
Sony has lost so much money in the games division that I wonder if they might not ultimately resort to the movies and telvision portion of the operation to produce profitable content based on their game franchises. Content ownership is where they have been most successful since their decline in general electronics hardware leadership. Hardware and content tend to be competitive against each other in the market, what's best for one being what's worst for the other. Content freedom for hardware, restrictive content control for content owners. Sony sits on both sides of the fence.

----

It is rare that high-quality film or tv is ever made from games; what usually happens is a lot of flashbang visuals with the quality of writing sacrificed to those SpecialEFX. Anyone who wants to have their intellect or emotions engaged instead of getting only sensory overload is disappointed. Because of the high level of player control and interactivity, the games are even better for sensory overload than any movie could be, so I would prefer that no movie or tv series ever be made from WipEout.

Delci
25th March 2008, 08:12 PM
That's true...I can picture a WipEout Michael Bay flick with a Single Race event scene that would look more like an Eliminator challenge in Phantom class.
At the same time, podracing comes to mind...
If they tried to impletment the 'emotion-yanker' concept into a W0 series, I bet it would be in the form of 'Contender Eliminated' with tears and the modern bloodthirsty touch.
In this case, you're right. WipEout probably won't be using anti-gravity over the red carpet anytime soon.

kyocrisis
25th March 2008, 08:39 PM
I wouldnt want to see WipEout as a movie, but as an anime series I think it would definitely be cool. And unlike game to movie translations, there are several games to anime done well.

Delci
25th March 2008, 08:44 PM
WipEout as anime...probably would be the better choice if it was to undergo any other adaption. WipEout as a moving piece of pop-art with the hyperglossy sheen of anime. Let's just hope Piranha can outrun moe references!

Medusa
25th March 2008, 10:22 PM
Nooo!! 'Cause then the novel I am writing would be overshadowed by it.

Just kidding. Of course I'd love to see it happen. But it won't. Or it will be crap. That's always how it goes when you have great expectations.

Delci
25th March 2008, 10:37 PM
Let's just hope it wouldn't be like the DooM 3 novel; brand-new, book adaption of a game...but paperback and $5 at the most.
Now, as for WipEout as a manga...

Lance
26th March 2008, 02:50 AM
~snip~there are several games to anime done well.

None of which are named ''Yu-Gi-Oh'. :g

Nadia Elenova
26th March 2008, 09:18 AM
A movie would be cool if they do it properly, and somehow I believe there is not a posibility.
Anime series would be more suitable, my bet is for Production IG Studio (Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.-the series, not the boring movies!-). They can do nice plots and CGI mechanical elements really well designed and animated, with crazy but not senseless action.
Novel will be also cool, expanding the backstory that made us shiver througout the WO series (thank you guys who are responsible of that). And talking about manga, well, I can help thinking in Yukito Kishiro (maybe too cyberpunk) or master Shirow.
Just dreaming...:)

Delci
26th March 2008, 10:33 PM
In the event of a manga/anime, I can imagine the main character's involvement would probably incline towards AG Systems, and implement a few of Fusion's 'upgrade' features, with limit-scraping combat and speed-tech to boot, but opposition coming in the form of personal history or ridiculously skilled rivals...which would essentially be WipEout meets Evangelion.
At this point, I can imagine the other teams becoming an afterthought. xD

Lion
27th March 2008, 03:59 AM
I honestly think the closest we'll ever get to what we really want to see was realised in Oban: Star Racers
there would obviously be a lot of differences, but it would be a case of x instead of y for each bullet point rather than a totally different direction

Spaceboy Gajo
27th March 2008, 05:36 AM
I've chimed about this in the past, but I thought I'd help pad the numbers for this poll. My original thought of a series happened back in the day when CG cartoons/movies first hit and started to dominate the landscape. Still would prefer the CG route, but reading the posts on here I quickly want to comment.

There are plenty of stories to tell since the people writing the back story have fleshed out an amazing universe. You can concentrate on Pierre Belmondo's pursuit of anti-grav, the pilot rivalries in the first game, talk about the corruption that caused the downfall of ant-grav racing after F9000, or even those little bits as the game loads the track in Pulse. Any one of those would be would make a great arc for the series or a season. Or even take these points and use them as flashbacks. Could've been done in the F9000 era, especially with Natasha Belmondo.

Also, I wouldn't litter every episode with a race, maybe have some of it take place behind the scenes like say in a garage. Show the pilots, mechanics or execs beside say a FEISAR. That way at least you've filled your anti-grav craft quota for that episode ;) Whatever the case, I'd hate for it to be dumbed down for the kids so becomes a race of the week kind of fair.

That said, I'm afraid that to have a movie or series, you're basically gearing it towards kids. I just love taking this idea and running with it. Wishing that in a perfect world they'd go with something a bit closer to what I was thinking of. Guess there's always fan films/fan art for that. Maybe even reading Medusa's stuff ;)

Bottom line, if they can make an anime on F-Zero, then Sony can do the same for Wipeout!

And if they do make a Wipeout series, please show the bombing of the Pacific Islands or Goteki's headquarters as a cliffhanger ;) Would definitely make me come back for more.

PS - GitS : SAC was awesome!

TearsToShreds
27th March 2008, 04:09 PM
Making Wipeout into an anime would be the last blow to make me steer away from the series. Anime and the likes are abominations of mankind, in my opinion. ;)

Raven236
27th March 2008, 10:13 PM
I personally think it would work well for a Anime or Manga.

The idea of a live action movie may not work, as movies based on games tend to be bad.

Sadly as mentioned before in this trend that oban star racers is the closest thing to a wipeout anime at this point.

Should there a wipeout anime or manga series i watch/read it for sure

Lance
27th March 2008, 10:27 PM
Anime and the likes are abominations of mankind, in my opinion. ;)

A possibly excessive sweeping generalisation. :D

Dammit, I still haven't seen Porco Rosso. Love the seaplanes.

The idea of a live action movie may not work, as movies based on games tend to be bad.

Indeed they do. Horribly horribly bad. Some of the games deserve much better. Not all. ;) But some.

Delci
29th March 2008, 04:09 PM
It would be simple, if they just broke down the concepts and plot of Air Gear to its core, turned Air Treks into anti-grav teams and did some background on the more...'famous' pilots (Natasha Belmondo ftw?).
It could even be set way back, when the earliest teams were founded, showing the events leading up to or between each game - maybe each different 'episode' (in the event of a miniseries) or 'season' (in the event of a long-term series) as a different year.
...I'd still like to know how Burnston Burns choked on a balloon... xD

blixabargeld
30th March 2008, 05:28 PM
agree with the muse, but not with the same integralistic position:)
as i child i was a big dragonball fan..

Nadia Elenova
30th March 2008, 09:11 PM
Talking about anime as a genre or drawing style is pointless. It's like you've seen Jackie Chan's Rush Hour 3 and you say cinema can't tell a good science fiction story. :p

Delci
3rd April 2008, 02:22 AM
Of course not!
I'm just steering towards what everyone else is seeming to say, and running with it.
It seems like a lot of people think live-action would be a fluke. At least, from what I can see...
But, hey...in my opinion, anything can work, if it's done right.

Lion
3rd April 2008, 04:07 AM
when I suggested that it could work well as a cartoon/anime, I made that suggestion because animation seems to allow for a much broader range of concepts than what modern cinema does.

A fan film done well could inspire a higher budget effort, but if a studio was approached with a concept they'd pass it through a couple of dozen layers of filtering, and the net result would be bland and terrible.

If an animation team was to make something based on wipeout concepts, the chances are much better of something resembling the universe that we know from the games may actually making it through to the end product.

Yes, if handled right, a wipeout movie could be great.
but the chances of it being handled right without being based closely on something else in a linear medium (as opposed to a game) are slim to nil

Delci
3rd April 2008, 04:25 AM
Oh no, I completely agree.
I just didn't want to imply that it would be an automatic flub.
You are right; animation would allow for a much more...attainable...effect. One example could be the Animatrix, or, for the CG Endeavors, Appleseed Ex Machina or other attempts like Spirits Within or Advent Children.
For a WipEout movie of that caliber, though, it seems like it would cost a very large sum of money...

Nadia Elenova
3rd April 2008, 09:33 PM
This would be the estimated level of success acording to the final format (and my honest opinion :p ):
Broadway musical-0% Movie-20% Animation-50% Novel-95% Videogame- 100% :)
So get the original back-story writers back to work and take the wipeout spirit to the forefront!

Delci
5th April 2008, 05:03 AM
Actually, that's pretty darn accurate... xD

Nadia Elenova
22nd April 2008, 12:06 PM
Guys you DON'T want a Wipeout movie, don't you? :g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh5XZixmJMY

(don't miss supermario at 00:52)

Lance
22nd April 2008, 12:15 PM
I don't; the interactive game is better than a movie could be.

blixabargeld
22nd April 2008, 01:03 PM
see asayyeah playing 2097 on youtube is way better than any movie..:dizzy

Darkdrium777
22nd April 2008, 08:06 PM
Guys you DON'T want a Wipeout movie, don't you? :g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh5XZixmJMY

(don't miss supermario at 00:52)HAHAHAAHA LMAO. That's like WipEout meets Rollcage and F-Zero xD How bad do you think the story will be?

If WipEout had to be something other than a video game it would have to be a novel. But it should have a much deeper story than just racing.

omega329
22nd April 2008, 08:43 PM
Guilty secret:
I have the full HD trailer of Speed Racer on my computer...
I feel so dirty...

Lance
22nd April 2008, 09:19 PM
As well you should; it's not even a cartoon. And certainly not a car 'toon.

omega329
23rd April 2008, 08:04 PM
It was those car fumes that did it...

nakamura
23rd April 2008, 10:46 PM
With the quality of the star wars pod races years ago in the phantom menace the actual races could be amazing. Need a decent story to back it up of course.

I wonder if Uwe Boll is available........................

Lance
24th April 2008, 12:16 AM
Movie preview commercials of Speed Racer are showing in my locality; the racing scenes look like pure CGI of a very unconvincing sort, like on an older game console except with lots of pixels so they look smooth. But they do not look realistic at all. It is certainly not the way I would want WipEout to look in any visual medium of any kind.

Darkdrium777
24th April 2008, 06:37 PM
Speed Racer reminds me of this movie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spy_Kids_3-D:_Game_Over) which was also about a race in futuristic cars and which flopped miserably due to poor plot but also poor racing action.
I didn't watch SpyKids 3D and I am definitely not going to watch Speed Racer.

P52Smith
26th April 2008, 02:51 PM
I feel that the idea could follow a tournament such as Descension in Pure (example only, not my idea) and have pre- and post-race talks to and between pilots as well as news stories about the race. Another idea relating to this is to follow the tournament from the perspective of one team, the winner doesn't really matter.

The idea will work well if implemented properly.

Another idea is to follow the life of AG-Racing from 2004 to 2207 and onwards if there is another game out before the film.

blixabargeld
26th April 2008, 07:30 PM
to be honest, I think that would be better for Sony to rely on other brands than wipeout for a movie, the commercial impact of Wipe"Out' it's not as big as, for example that of an appreciated by masses brand like Gods of War.. (which I really don't like ndr)
maybe I'm wrong, but money is money..

Assimilator
27th April 2008, 07:36 AM
it's a fact, all movies based on videogames sucks...

come on mortal kombat was pretty good :D

blixabargeld
27th April 2008, 11:51 AM
I hope you're joking..:)

mdhay
27th April 2008, 02:43 PM
I see you are an objective person, assimilator, because Blixabargeld is biased.(And yes, I am also).

And on that note, I run for the hills.

nakamura
27th April 2008, 11:14 PM
Silent Hill was a good movie. Captured the feeling of the game well, good plot, well acted in general. Only ruined my Sean Beans american accent.

Lance
28th April 2008, 11:56 AM
I liked the Mortal Kombat soundtrack,
but [TMI>>> I only liked the movie because the guy was hot.

eLhabib
28th April 2008, 12:25 PM
What guy? Johnny Cage?

Lance
28th April 2008, 06:46 PM
Liu Kiang [actor Robin Shou]

omega329
28th April 2008, 07:00 PM
Comic book films are awesome, therefore a wipeout comic must be made, then a film. The comic provides the backstory and extended fanbase, the games provide the teams, tracks and textures for the CGI Race scenes...

KIGO1987
13th July 2008, 11:14 PM
The idea of the Movie just could be a flying success with the right formula. Decent plot with great cinematography would obviously play a big role in it, with the addition of some of the best Wipeout music artists of all time. There is already an in depth fan fiction in the Wipeout series, so it could just work, all we need is someone with enough enthusiasm and resources to put this idea into a rolling action. Any Movie Directors out there wants to give this a shot? It might just be more successful than ever considered possible.

Darkdrium777
14th July 2008, 01:39 AM
You have to create characters for this film, and unless I am wrong character rivalries in Wipeout Fusion were not on the "Plus" side of the game, or so I've heard. It would be very hard to have a movie just about racing and the big corporation, people need a man to identify with on the screen, a "hero" of some sort, as well as a problem he must face.

That's why I still think a movie about Wipeout would be unsuccessful, because I just cannot see what could be created to fill in these gaps...

cybrpnk
14th July 2008, 03:04 AM
i could be absolutely wrong here...but wasn't a WipEout-ish video arcade game used in the movie Hackers??? (o dear...I've let out a little secret...yes I did watch the movie...only for Angelina Jolie...)

edit: linky
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ygV4MkUh-M

eLhabib
14th July 2008, 10:24 AM
there's absolutely no shame in liking the movie 'hackers'. And yes, there are scenes where the protagonists are playing an on-rails shooter that is a close relative to the first wipEout game.
As for a wipEout movie - I don't see any problems with having heroes and villains in it. Just please make it based on the first wipEout game, it has to be gritty and experimental, and it has to have Kel Solaar and Arial Tetsuo in it!

swift killer
14th July 2008, 02:03 PM
I recon it should be an anime/manga styled animation, or a CGI rendered movie, I dont think live action would work.

eLhabib
14th July 2008, 02:05 PM
if movies like 'I, Robot', 'A.I.' or '5th Element' are any indication, live action with convincing CG would very well work. I'm all for it!!! Just don't let Uwe Boll pick up the idea!

swift killer
14th July 2008, 09:25 PM
You forget that if it is done in CG or Live Action, there a risk of losing the simplistic visual finess which made the game eye-catching.

RJ O'Connell
15th July 2008, 05:11 AM
Just don't let Uwe Boll pick up the idea!
Wipeout is not a single-player action/adventure game. We are safe from Eww Boll.

I envision a WipEout movie as being kind of like a sci-fi version of the 1966 film "Grand Prix". Like a condensed run-through of a season told through several different perspectives. It'd be long, yes, but I wouldn't have it any other way. And it should be based on 2097/XL or the original.

adelheid
27th July 2008, 02:46 AM
The intro should cover the unveiling of the first "ship" in the desert, then cut to title, then get to the film which will inevitably get nerfed because someone somewhere simply HAS to have a love interest in every film ever made, wether it fits or not... Hitman anyone?

An Anime style would work, I guess, but... well... isn't that a little overdone now? I mean, there are other Animation styles, some of which surpass Anime imo... if nothing else an Anime artist would have a field day with the female pilots' boobs, they always do, it's like some weird form of OCD.

P52Smith
28th July 2008, 02:16 PM
I think that it should be primarily CGI but the pilots and key characters should be based on the person providing the audio for that role to make them appear more lifelike.

A recent idea I had relating to this was that it should map the development of AG technology, particularly in AG racing including 1-3 races from each league, including Fusion's final race when the controversy is revealled to the masses and how they handle it. Then the revelation of the 'illegal' racing and the FX150 followed by Pure, HD and Pulse in the same manner as pre-fusion before including some developmental features for the next game in the series, to suggest the next stage of evolution for the die hard wipeout fans to think about.

Although this is a very good idea, I can't see Sony allowing someone to do it, or even doing it themselves.

RJ O'Connell
28th July 2008, 02:42 PM
"The Last Race" was handled sort of like this: Rogue datacast networks bust into Race HQ, find evidence that pretty much most of the F9000 was rigged, larger datacasts pick up the story, the raid gets filmed on the Jumbotrons, fans go apeshiat and the pilots are forced to abandon the race.

For a less half-assed explanation from an official source, click hither (http://wipeoutzone.com/fiction.php?action=display&id=120).

P52Smith
3rd August 2008, 01:00 PM
Yes, I think that about covers it.
I think that that would be an important part of the 'documentation' of AG Racing.

However, I think it unlikely that this great idea would ever become a reality. A great shame for many WipEout fans.

swift killer
4th August 2008, 08:26 AM
An Anime style would work, I guess, but... well... isn't that a little overdone now? I mean, there are other Animation styles, some of which surpass Anime imo... if nothing else an Anime artist would have a field day with the female pilots' boobs, they always do, it's like some weird form of OCD.

If it is an Anime, I think the more favourable animation teams to chose would be the guys who did Appleseed or the team which did the cool animation for Kill Bill vol.1, but then again, I dont really know my anime, all I will say is keep it AWAY from hollywood, because in my view, they are more capable of screwing it up. Most of the design aspects of WipEout seem to have an Anime/Manga influence to them, so it seems natural for it to be an Anime.

Nadia Elenova
4th August 2008, 04:49 PM
Holywood will surely screw it up. Production IG is THE STUDIO to get this job done properly.

P52Smith
5th August 2008, 01:28 PM
What about the guys who did speed racer, they might be good?

(I don't actually know who did it but I thought it was quite good quality)

rdmx
5th August 2008, 01:52 PM
The Wachowski brothers I think - the guys behind the Matrix.

P52Smith
5th August 2008, 02:03 PM
The Matrix series is also quite good.
We need to get these boys in!

Nadia Elenova
8th August 2008, 11:22 AM
Speed racer? Wachowski brothers? NO WAY!!

eLhabib
8th August 2008, 12:24 PM
Sad, but true.

RJ O'Connell
9th August 2008, 04:26 PM
Oh, the Metallica innuendo! :D

[/offtopic]

Chill
4th September 2008, 07:33 AM
If they did a Wipeout movie, it could just happen to be a huge hit like Star Wars if it's planned right, who knows? All I know is I'd definately own the movie...

Or if Wipeout could be made into an anime series, like Speed Racer was (but obviously better), that could be badass as well... hahaha. ;)

Either way, it needs a badass story to base it on...

DJ Techno
24th September 2008, 09:31 PM
Sony has lost so much money in the games division that I wonder if they might not ultimately resort to the movies and telvision portion of the operation to produce profitable content based on their game franchises. Content ownership is where they have been most successful since their decline in general electronics hardware leadership. Hardware and content tend to be competitive against each other in the market, what's best for one being what's worst for the other. Content freedom for hardware, restrictive content control for content owners. Sony sits on both sides of the fence.

----

It is rare that high-quality film or tv is ever made from games; what usually happens is a lot of flashbang visuals with the quality of writing sacrificed to those SpecialEFX. Anyone who wants to have their intellect or emotions engaged instead of getting only sensory overload is disappointed. Because of the high level of player control and interactivity, the games are even better for sensory overload than any movie could be, so I would prefer that no movie or tv series ever be made from WipEout.

If its one thing.. Its another

always hearing that a company won't produce something cause of money!

all the movies out there from... well lets see.
comic books, novels... oh and video games.

I don't think Sony needs to even have a part in making a movie. maybe the part in funding and a bit more.
Not paying some director or producer of there choice to make something.

If it comes up.

somebody does a movie...
let it be where Arial Tetsuo and the begining of the whole thing.

Hell, the director for Wing Commander. get him to do a movie for this thing. bam.

Lance
25th September 2008, 10:06 PM
Sony got into the movie business back when they bought Columbia Pictures, and became owners of their entire catalogue. Since then, Sony has become a major distributor of not only those old movies, but new movies as well. As the owner of WipEout, and a movie distributor, and a financial backer, they would have complete control of a movie based on the game; that includes having the say over who directs, who produces, what actors are used, the whole shebang. You know how over-the-top they've been about content control, so it's "unlikely"/impossible that they would allow any independence to anyone working with their content, no matter whom wE'd like to see working on it. Dammit.

neochrome
29th September 2008, 06:24 PM
I think WO would make a great novel (or series).

Thinking about the sony connection, the final fantasy movie although a little slow, would be a great CG way to make a WO feature. Better than the clone wars style anyway.

Wipeout - with Ariel Tetsuo - yeah baby:cowboy

RJ O'Connell
30th September 2008, 10:52 PM
I dunno...As much as we tend to cast away Fusion, it definitely has the blueprint to be "the game" you could base a WipEout movie off of.

ElectroBolt
2nd October 2008, 09:43 AM
what about a reality tv-style mockumentary, involving real actors supported by cgi effects for race scenes? I think the WipEout background offers a great deal of material to show pilot and team rivalry, media pressure and stuff like that...

DJ Techno
4th October 2008, 09:27 PM
at least you failed to mention paul walker and vin desiel as the actors to what you sayin...

Lance
4th October 2008, 10:59 PM
I don't want to see those actors in a racing movie again.
Nor the guy who wrote the scripts for t F & t F.

DJ Techno
5th October 2008, 02:55 AM
I'm Sorry

you didn't know Lance?

Fast and Furious 4 London

Brian and Don ( Paul And Vin )

Really just cause, Sony has a department that says under that section they claim rights and stuff to Wipeout. Wouldn't completely turn the movie into something of a pop drop.
It doesn't have to be in theatures. But DVD and Blue Ray disk, makes them the bucks too.

I keep seeing Sony pictures show up after Sanford and Son comes on and over. each show.

they might have owning rights to Fred Sanfords show now. But they damn can't change it.
and Wasn't it Originally Designers Republic who created Wipeout. And like Sanford and Son.
Its the original people who have the more power to anything bought out.

eLhabib
5th October 2008, 10:11 AM
for the 1000000.....st time, no, it wasn't DR who created wipEout - they just did SUPPLEMENTAL GRAPHICS DESIGN (Team Logos, etc.). Ships, Tracks, Gameplay have NOTHING to do with them, all credit goes to Psygnosis.

Lance
5th October 2008, 07:15 PM
WipEout was created by Nick Burcombe and Jim Bowers, who were working for Psygnosis at the time, and they and the other team members of Psygnosis [which Sony already owned controlling interest of] designed and developed the game. The Designers Republic basically just painted and waxed the car so the surface was a little shinier, but they didn't make the car.

swift killer
7th October 2008, 10:26 AM
you should look at the other stuff Designers Republic have done, quite amazing

I may have said this before, but i think the best way for a WipEout movie/series would be CGI or Anime style.

Life action would in my opinion degrade the visual feel to some extent.

Lance
7th October 2008, 04:04 PM
I've already seen other stuff that DR has done. Did you think I had not?
And don't forget that the Designers Republic of today is not the same set of designers they had in the time when they worked on the WipEout series. I'm reasonably sure you had not forgot this. :)

I don't think that future WipEout game versions or HD in particular, nor a movie based on any of them, would likely be made better by the participation of DR.

swift killer
7th October 2008, 04:32 PM
I know, one of them broke away and started another company, one of them has visited my college and is absolutely obsessed with helvetica, so much so he appeared on the movie commemorating the 50th annivarsary of helvetica.

Lance
7th October 2008, 05:36 PM
helvetica, pfft.

I still like the original Baskerville.

And Perpetua, and Tempus Sans, and ... and... Ogham! :g

swift killer
8th October 2008, 05:43 PM
oh dear, that is what i define as poor typography

mdhay
8th October 2008, 06:23 PM
F500, OCR A Extended and Wingdings FTW!

RJ O'Connell
9th October 2008, 06:10 AM
Back on topic...I keep imagining that if this movie were to be made that Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson would play a minor role (maybe a race commentator), any other cameos you can think of?

swift killer
9th October 2008, 07:04 PM
or he could be a big headed know it all.... he seems to fit that role very well.

AdHoc
26th April 2018, 03:20 AM
OMG they just announced... nah just kidding, no WipEout movie yet, but one can dream, right? I just thought about it for the first time and figured there would be a corresponding thread on the forum.

VR could give Sony execs some ideas...

Lion
30th April 2018, 09:24 AM
wow, a ten year old dredge...
remarkably, none of my posts on the earlier pages contained this!?
https://i.imgur.com/56t9YTA.png

Jonny
4th May 2018, 03:06 PM
All I can say is that a both games and racing tend to be poorly made in movies, bring in Sci-Fi and the results me be really cringey.
Well, a quality team could of course deliver great work, as long as it's no Hollywood...

Lion
12th May 2018, 09:20 AM
I think the Wachowskis could pull it off. I quite enjoyed Speed Racer, and a film with that kind of oversaturated vision of reality with a plot based on bringing about the fall of F9000 could be really cool.
Fusion, and the lore presented in Pure, provide some promising material.

Sausehuhn
6th July 2018, 07:40 AM
I had a conversation in ’11 I just remembered …

[…] I would probably point out though that it was never originally intended that the game would have loads of back-story; that was just something that was worked on because we had some time available and it was massively fun to do. Certainly, the stuff that appears online at Wipeoutzone was never intended to see the light of day; it was purely background material that was supplied because a film production company had expressed interest in developing a Wipeout concept. […]

(quote slightly altered for anonymity reasons)

Jonny
6th July 2018, 10:31 AM
That may explain the loads of background in the original game, compared to the rather flat stuff in the rest of the series, excepting Fusion.

Lion
15th October 2018, 10:20 AM
I'll just leave this (http://www.noiseheatpower.com/wipeout.htm) here and wonder if it has anything to do with Sausehuhn's comment

eLhabib
15th October 2018, 10:49 AM
WOW. Thanks for that! :rock

Lion
15th October 2018, 11:03 AM
I couldn't remember the URL, but I had emailed him after seeing a thread about it on here in 2007. Knew I still had the email somewhere in my old gmail account :P

T-301
25th October 2018, 02:26 AM
"The future was then, according to this 'Wipeout 2097' shirt."
That line strikes quite a feel...

GBalao888
14th September 2020, 09:36 AM
As a film student myself, it's my dream to create a Netflix-like adaptation of WipEout as a whole (live-action), with each season representing events from every League, such as:

Season 1 - AGRC and F3600
Season 2 - F5000
Season 3 - F7200
Season 4 - F9000, Depression and Rebirth
Season 5 - FX300
Season 6 - FX350
Season 7 - FX400 and Beyond