PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Pulse: last game on psp?

blixabargeld
20th March 2008, 11:16 AM
I'm quite worried about the future of the series.
Whit the advent of PS3 probably there would be no wipeout game (or rather no good wipeout game) coming to our portable console, 'cause next-gen market is becoming more important.
I was not programming to buy a PS3 in the near future, so what would happen to my favourite game if I "stay" on my psp or if I buy a 360?(less expensive and with better games right about now) I don't like Fatal Inertia...:rolleyes:

RJ O'Connell
21st March 2008, 01:43 PM
You'll probably end up regretting it, if you ask me.

After Wipeout HD there will be "Wipeout PS3" which is what GT5 is to GT5P - a much more fleshed-out game, and that's saying a lot since HD already has enough features to pass off as a full-fledged game.

There's still the chance of seeing a portable Wipeout afterwards, but it might be awhile. Or it may just end up on something like a "PSP 2".

TheFrostE
21st March 2008, 05:05 PM
360 ftl :rolleyes: , just my opinion. i bought a ps3 not only for wipeout series, but theres a lot of games coming out that have caught my eye, ii have army of two, getting GTA 4 the new battlefield, RE 5, resistance 2, aliens "colonial marines" and that survival horror coming out, some futuristic one, forget the name. ya guys, when im not tearin it up in wipeout , im a huge FPS buff, but in all honesty, buy whatever one will make you more happy in terms of games that you know you will enjoy. hope that helps :)

blixabargeld
21st March 2008, 07:49 PM
the problem is that i bought ps2 instead of xbox just to play fusion, and i just don't want to make the same mistake again:xbox was way better, imho
360 is less expensive than ps3, with a better implementation of online gaming, and a lot of games which i really like, such as mass effect (from the developing team of star wars:knights of the old republic, an amazing rpg ndr) and bioshock..
it seems that the best thing is to wait to wipeout hd and see if it's good as it seems from the screenshots :-)
and, of course, to the next "full game" (wipeout 4?)
thank you for the responses
cheers

Task
22nd March 2008, 12:16 AM
I'll bet if you'd got the XBox you'd have the RRoD and be wishing you'd gotten the PS2 instead. It's just a "grass is always greener" thing.
Sure, I got the PS2 to play Fusion, but I spent a lot more time with ICO and Shadow Hearts and Silent Hill and Front Mission and Steambot and Katamari and Drakenguard and Ring of Red and... Well, I don't play the PS2 much anymore (I'm fully on PSP these days), but I've always gotten full gaming value out of my console of choice. If you haven't, then I wouldn't be calling it the fault of the console... 8 )

Waiting it almost always the best route to take. Wait until the choice is obvious. Of course, I didn't mind waiting 2 years to get WOPure, YMMV.

TheFrostE
22nd March 2008, 05:18 AM
thats why i sold my wii after having it since christmas it came out for ps3 5 weeks ago, sure i was waiting for mario kart and ssbb, but to have a whole console for 2 games....no thanks, have any of you seen the god awful line up for wii this year. YUCK!. i also sold my DS for a psp slim, picked up FF tactics and pulse when it dropped. now im enjoying my PS3 to the fullest with wipeout, remote play, DVD playing, and alots of good games coming this year.

blixabargeld
22nd March 2008, 10:19 AM
"grass always greener" logic always works, ok, but i finally got also an used xbox from a friend and enjoyed it a lot more than ps2.. but well, waiting with pure and pulse still to complete is not a bad thing :)

AbstractPanda
22nd March 2008, 10:59 PM
I have a feeling this may be the last PSP Wipeout game, and it may not be long until we see the successor to the PSP (which makes me sad seeing as how I just bought one). As for purchasing a PS3, I think it is slowly becoming a more lucrative purchase considering the current price point, but I don't see much on the horizon (exclusives-wise) besides Metal Gear 4 and Wipeout HD (I guess Little Big Planet looks fun).

On the other hand, the PSP seems to really kicking ass lately (I traded my DS Lite for one. Funny thing was the L Trigger was broken, but the employees didn't notice :rolleyes: )

Rapier Racer
25th March 2008, 02:02 PM
Personally I don't care if Pulse is the last PSP game because I can't see myself downgrading back to PSP when HD and PS3 are sat in front of me, I'll maybe play Pure occasionally when I can't get access to my PS3 of course.

blixabargeld
25th March 2008, 08:32 PM
i think that graphics is the less important aspect of a game.. otherwise i couldn't enjoy 2097 and wo3 anymore

RJ O'Connell
26th March 2008, 05:39 PM
F-Zero X was slammed by critics who thought the game looked bland, ignoring the fact that it was the first racing game for a console that ran at a constant rate of 60 fps.

But aside from Fusion, Wipeout games have always been the gold standard of graphic detail and fast-paced gameplay for whatever system, whether it is Pure and Pulse for the PSP, or the original trilogy on the PS1. I expect the same out of HD and [New Wipeout PS3].

P52Smith
19th April 2008, 09:38 AM
I reckon they should do the next WipEout for PS3 AND PSP and make it so they can interact online etc.

This will keep both PS3 players and PSP players happy and allow an even larger number of people to race each other.

Darkdrium777
19th April 2008, 01:42 PM
That would be very hard to accomplish since they would have to write two different game engines with exactly the same physics, controls, gameplay, etc. and that of course support online interaction. One of these engines will have to run on a multi-core 3.2Ghz processor, while the other will have to run on a small 333Mhz chip. I've never seen that before, and I doubt it could happen...
There probably will be other WipEouts on PSP though, after all this is what made it popular again, I doubt SL would be silly enough to abandon the platform that brought it's franchise back.

P52Smith
19th April 2008, 03:14 PM
Good points but perhaps the PSP 3000 series will be more adequate for this idea of mine.

I expect also that there will be another WipEout on PSP but an advanced connection system would be nice too.

blixabargeld
20th April 2008, 03:39 PM
I reckon they should do the next WipEout for PS3 AND PSP and make it so they can interact online etc.

This will keep both PS3 players and PSP players happy and allow an even larger number of people to race each other.

Online connection in terms of gaming between psp and ps3 is of course impossible..
SL could make something like connectivity in order to share times and to unlock new contents, things that has already been done, f.e. in outrun for ps2/psp.

omega329
20th April 2008, 03:42 PM
... and in jak x/daxter for PS2/PSP respectivley...

blixabargeld
20th April 2008, 04:50 PM
... and in socom :D

mdhay
20th April 2008, 05:37 PM
Or Pro Evo.

Rapier Racer
23rd April 2008, 08:58 PM
There probably will be other WipEouts on PSP though, after all this is what made it popular again, I doubt SL would be silly enough to abandon the platform that brought it's franchise back.

What more could they possibly do with Wipeout on the PSP though? It's better off on the PS3 or even PS2. I doubt there will never be a high level (and by that I mean the number of players) of online competition on the PSP compared to the console.

If lots of folks played the game online for a good while after release might it increase the chances of new stuff being made for it?

blixabargeld
24th April 2008, 06:42 AM
well, a massive version of Wipe''Out' for example.. Lilke a definitive resume for those who missed the last episodes,(from pulse to the first) maybe with all the most liked tracks... Only dreaming?:p

Lance
24th April 2008, 12:51 PM
Only dreaming? Yes. Nice dream [Thank you, Radiohead], but too many practical difficulties.

blixabargeld
24th April 2008, 01:27 PM
nice "the bends" quote8)

omega329
24th April 2008, 01:48 PM
ooh... pure with online play... *drool*