PDA

View Full Version : WipeoutHD...expectations...

cybrpnk
20th March 2008, 03:08 AM
Being an Industrial Design student, whenever we design products, we always have to study what our target market or consumers want before putting pen/pencil to paper. In the case of HD...

How successful do we think Studio Liverpool have...at this point in the build of HD, been able in meeting our individual expectations and visions (target market) of our perfect WipEout? (I know that up until we hold the controller and launch off the start line, we cannot really say much...but lets discuss graphical, menu design, ship design, colour palette and base off the 3 new gameplay videos)

I LOVE MY STUDIO LIVERPOOL!!!

I love the realistic graphical approach as oppose to 2097's highly stylistic graphics (part of the reason being the PSOnes inability to push high polygon counts) but would love to see some stylistic elements thrown into maybe the downloadables like the really cool TRON effect tracks in the Zone Mode for Pulse.

HUD is too similar to Fusion...conjures up traumatic memories...I did like the Pulse and Pure HUDs though

Sense of speed is perfect, SL has to be congratulated for giving us 60fps at 1080...a marvel and feat in itself with so much going on...

Once again...congratulations go out to SL for putting so much work into a downloadable game...imagine, if this much work and dedication can go into a small release, imagine what the true PS3s WipEout is going to be like!!!

Lance
20th March 2008, 03:22 AM
A brief digression:

''whenever we design products, we always have to study what our target market or consumers want before putting pen/pencil to paper''

This is exactly the opposite of Steve Jobs approach at Apple. He knows what he thinks would be cool, puts a development team on it for three years while constantly demanding adherence to his idea of perfection, keeps the whole thing as secret as possible, then announces the finished product and sells zillions of them to people who didn't even know what they really wanted until they saw it.

The approach seems to work. :)

cybrpnk
20th March 2008, 03:33 AM
LOL...Apple is in a whole other league and keep their secrets very close to themselves...eg manufacturing techniques and whatnot...we did a case study recently on the iphone and there are some pretty impressive and subtle design nuances here and there that would have taken awhile to get right...

Egg
20th March 2008, 10:08 AM
like the really cool TRON effect tracks in the Zone Mode for Pulse.

HD has that.

infoxicated
20th March 2008, 11:10 AM
Understatement of the day.

Tron is WipEout HD's bitch. ;)

eLhabib
20th March 2008, 12:05 PM
I'd have to say I'm pretty damn happy with what HD turns out to be - graphics, style, gameplay (as much as one can tell from the videos) all seem to be there. I'm a bit worried about the speed (again, judging from those recent videos), but then I just can't imagine SL to figure out 60frames 1080p and then not delivering on the speed. Those guys know whats important, so I'm not really worried.
What really bugs me though is the new HUD, I just can't stress this enough, it simply doesn't do the rest of the game any justice. Granted, it looks better in motion than on screens, and it also seems to be perfectly functional (shield bar on top center was an excellent idea), but the graphic design is a complete letdown. For a game element that you look at 99% of the time, this is pretty much TERRIBLE.

Delci
25th March 2008, 12:50 AM
I'm a bit worried about the speed (again, judging from those recent videos), but then I just can't imagine SL to figure out 60frames 1080p and then not delivering on the speed. Those guys know whats important, so I'm not really worried.

Well, previous 'big console' WipEouts have had plenty of speed...well, I mean, Fusion especially (too fast, actually, especially with the fully upgraded craft)...tons of speed that made it pretty difficult to even maneuver. I'm pretty sure HD will have some of the classic glory of speed, if they have Rapier and Phantom classes...

eLhabib
25th March 2008, 08:36 AM
After having played the preview build yesterday, I'm not worried about the speed anymore. It's there. Phantom is eyebleedingly fast.

guillaume
25th March 2008, 12:44 PM
That's great news!!
Now I need to find someone with a PS3.
Oh, wait.
There's one at work!!! :D

mdhay
25th March 2008, 06:51 PM
Understatement of the day.

Tron is WipEout HD's bitch. ;)

:clap.

You have one at work?:o

cybrpnk
25th March 2008, 07:24 PM
After having played the preview build yesterday, I'm not worried about the speed anymore. It's there. Phantom is eyebleedingly fast.

you got to play the preview build??? yesterday??? where??? how??? what??? why??? who???

Sausehuhn
25th March 2008, 07:30 PM
He's a pre- and reviewer for a gaming magazine :)

Lance
25th March 2008, 07:37 PM
Prereviewer? ;)

cybrpnk
25th March 2008, 07:42 PM
sigh...the perks of working for the industry...one can only dream i guess...

I'm up for some eye-bleeds...chuck in some brain-melts and I'm definitely there...still checking the PSN everyday for a hint of a demo...or even better...the real thing...

always end up buying other games like PAIN on impulse...cmon Studio Liverpool!!! Release HD already...cause I'm just buying up everything on PSN...help me stop impulse buying...

Lion
25th March 2008, 09:22 PM
you know the psn store is only updated once a week?
thursday or friday depending on where in the world you are

mdhay
26th March 2008, 01:29 PM
Pain is good though.
-----------------------
I hope that you can control the quake's ripple with the Sixaxis - add more strategy.

eLhabib
26th March 2008, 02:01 PM
How would that work? you mean like wave the sixaxis like you would wave a carpet?

mdhay
26th March 2008, 02:16 PM
Yeah - like that.

Egg
26th March 2008, 03:10 PM
Haha, ace idea!

If it was a Tom and Jerry game, that is.

;)