PDA

View Full Version : 3 video's from the preview build..

rushin
19th March 2008, 01:32 PM
clicky (http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6175_en.html)

suggest sitting down before viewing if you are of an excitable disposition ;)

Fascia
19th March 2008, 02:08 PM
Do mine eyes decieve me? Is that 2097 style edge grinding?

DjManiac21
19th March 2008, 02:28 PM
My freaking god!

Amazing! :+

Mad-Ice
19th March 2008, 03:01 PM
The graphics look absolutely amazing. I think HD is even floathier then Pulse. But the hud is seriously not good, I wished they kept the one from Pulse or even the one form Pure. Also when a ship is hit you see flames coming out of the cockpit, not really fond of that. All in all I think it is just going to be a superb game in the end.

mdhay
19th March 2008, 03:27 PM
Ooh, pilot death.

eLhabib
19th March 2008, 03:36 PM
Graphics are top notch, no doubt. Looks floatier, alright. Gotta admit the HUD does look a tad better in motion somehow, but still not satisfying... :(

But hey, what speed class is this - 4 laps is usually indicative of rapier, but the speed wasn't there AT ALL. I sure hope that was venom...

Dogg Thang
19th March 2008, 04:10 PM
Yeah the speed looked really slow. Had to be venom. It could be that the lap count isn't yet tied to the mode on that version.

On a technical level, the graphics do look impressive.

mdhay
19th March 2008, 05:56 PM
The ships look swollen and the track(s) look way too narrow.

HISHO[JP]
19th March 2008, 05:57 PM
Under sea tunnel of Vineta K is worse than Pure's...
I can't feel under the sea...

But the other of HUD and speed feeling(I think it's flash) is great!

I wanna see Moa Therma video.

P.S.
Was this Qirex ship gone...?
I like this Qirex ship better than current one.

eLhabib
19th March 2008, 06:18 PM
I ADORE the Qirex ship in these videos! I was totally stunned by the detail!

Sausehuhn
19th March 2008, 07:20 PM
A few things:

The Qirex model in those videos is the final one, Egg mentioned somewhere that they changed the models (thank god for that!)
The Vineta K tunnels look boring. No water refraction, nothing. The water on the glass looks strange, when I dive I have no such effect on my glasses...
I wanna see clearly what's underwater!
The flames are strange.
The finish line laser still looks boring - give it more glow!
the HUD is terrible, but not as terrible as it looked on those screens.

Question: Has anybody else had problems with playing the videos? I'm on my 2,16 Core 2 Duo MacBook with 2 GB RAM and the video only plays for a few seconds and then stops. Tried both, Quicktime and VLC, both have problems.
My HDD is nearly full, just 5 GB left - maybe that's the reason?
Never had problems with HD-videos. Actually the FullHD trailer plays without any framedrops.
I wanna see them fluently :(

mdhay
19th March 2008, 07:32 PM
I do. When the vid starts I see this screen and I have to FFĂ—120 for a split second. My 60gb ps3 has 16gig left, if it helps.

Sausehuhn
19th March 2008, 07:36 PM
Hm... I get the first frame-stop at around 0:13... Maybe it's my video card. The MacBooks are really low-end when it comes to those.
To many frames I guess... I should convert them down to 30fps or something...

Skvall
19th March 2008, 10:38 PM
Question: Has anybody else had problems with playing the videos? I'm on my 2,16 Core 2 Duo MacBook with 2 GB RAM and the video only plays for a few seconds and then stops. Tried both, Quicktime and VLC, both have problems.

It was exactly the same for me in those players.
Use Media Player Classic (and CoreAVC..), it works and its not as heavy on the CPU as other players.

These movies was still a little slow on my PC though, but better than nothing. :)

edit: oh, you are on a macbook. dont know anything about mac.

eLhabib
20th March 2008, 12:14 AM
Hm... I get the first frame-stop at around 0:13... Maybe it's my video card. The MacBooks are really low-end when it comes to those.
To many frames I guess... I should convert them down to 30fps or something...

the mp4 vid doesn't play smooth on my pc either (4GHz, 3 gig ram), so it might be the codec. Download the wmv instead - it's not quite as high-quality, but runs smoothly.

cybrpnk
20th March 2008, 02:49 AM
!!!

HOLY JEBUS!!!

This is insane...*hugs PS3*...agree with the comment on HD having a floatier feel...the craft once again seem like 2097 where they look like they're actually hovering on a cushion of air...bobbing up and down...very nice Studio Liverpool...

Bout the HUD...I'm impartial...but I reckon it CAN be better...nothing that has to replicate what miTDR did with the series...but nothing reminiscent off Fusion either...as I said, impartial, as long as gameplay is tight and I can speed through chicanes, haripins, sweeping curves at +1000kmh, I'm a happy chappy...

PS...love the little details on the craft like the blinky lights on the wing tips of the Feisar...yummmm...

Can't wait to take my skills online...long live AG-5Y5tems!!!

Frances_Penfold
20th March 2008, 03:28 AM
Fun to have in-game vids to watch from preview code :)

One thing I do NOT like is the screen blur and the boost "forward" that is experienced when the ship goes over a boost pad-- that could get old really fast given the number of boost pads that are on some tracks.

Perhaps the boost feel is diminished when racing at faster speeds though...

Darkdrium777
20th March 2008, 03:52 AM
But hey, what speed class is this - 4 laps is usually indicative of rapier, but the speed wasn't there AT ALL. I sure hope that was venom...I believe that four laps could also correspond to Flash, which would justify the slower speed.

A few things:
The Vineta K tunnels look boring.
The flames are strange.
The finish line laser still looks boring - give it more glow!I have to agree with those three points, Vineta K is special because it has an underwater section, so it should look special.
Also, the laser looked a bit better in the PSP games, since it has this misty effect around it, now it just looks like a bland red or green semi transparent line.
And the flame effects are not strange, I believe they are ugly and do not add to the game at all. After all, the ship is protected by shields (Energy), when there is no more energy the ship explodes on the next impact. Why would the ship catch on fire if the shields take a hit? I cannot explain it. Also it looks like it's only the cockpit that catches on fire, and not the engine or the wing...

rdmx
20th March 2008, 08:08 AM
Admittedly, the HUD looks better in motion.
But it's looking sweet! Coming from playing burnout, im fine with the boost forward effect but it looks like they've done an SSX for the music - when you get airborne (more so than you already are :P), the music changes modulation or whatever (if anybody knows, can they tell me what it is). Really cool, but the way when you have a shield that sounds get muffled is a bit annoying.

Skvall
20th March 2008, 09:19 AM
I also liked that the ships seems to have a good floaty feeling. However I still dont like the way they bump into the ground after a fall. Its not a car? :P Earlier games didn't have that, not in the same way..
But otherwise looks pretty floaty yes!

The thing about the high FOV/blur/speed when going over boostpads was something I liked at first, but after seeing it for 2-3laps it felt like it got in the way of the flow.

Maybe it feels different when you are actually playing.

But it's also looking great. I want this game! :D

stin
20th March 2008, 09:26 AM
To me, it`s almost 80% Rapier than Flash.

I`m not bothered, as long it`s Wipeout well apart from HUD.

stevie:)

Sausehuhn
20th March 2008, 11:42 AM
Btw: The way the "new lap record" fades away is terrible. Why does it have to contract and then fade away?
A simple fade-out would have done the job pretty well.

Egg
20th March 2008, 11:57 AM
What a bunch of moaners you lot are.

Anyway, here's more vids.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6183_en.html

eLhabib
20th March 2008, 12:09 PM
OMG I love you. Zone mode is PERFECT.

Sausehuhn
20th March 2008, 12:19 PM
Egg, should I start to mention all the things I like? ;)

lunar
20th March 2008, 12:19 PM
What a bunch of moaners you lot are.

Personally I just plan on switching it on and letting it blow my brains out, and I won`t let anything spoil it for me. :) Apart from the Barrel Rolls. ;)

If I may be permitted one small moan, not directed at the game, why do websites insist on putting up videos in formats and resolutions that many people cannot watch? For God`s sake a 25mb wmv would play fine and let me see everything I want to see and hear everything I want to hear. I don`t need it in 3 gazillion megapixels at this stage, that`s what my PS3 is for, and I can`t find a computer in the building that can handle these videos.

Sausehuhn
20th March 2008, 12:26 PM
Well... there are videos downloadable in 640*360 :)

rushin
20th March 2008, 01:26 PM
you sure its not a codec issue with watching the video's? i am using my crappy work laptop (1.8Ghz single core, 1GB ram, etc) and they play fine..

One thing that hasnt been mentioned is the voices, they are very umm colonial british sounding. I really miss the excitable japanese schoolgirl of old :dizzy

Sausehuhn
20th March 2008, 03:03 PM
I rather stay with british than with electronic-robot-british ;D
But yeah, japanese would have been nice.

stin
20th March 2008, 04:03 PM
Moa Therma track is slightly narrower than Pulse Moa Therma!:robot

But it`s looking very promising.

Egg, of course, we are moaners cos we are hardcore wipers!:p

(Sorry Mr Egg)

stevie:paperbag

Skvall
20th March 2008, 04:53 PM
I don`t need it in 3 gazillion megapixels at this stage, that`s what my PS3 is for

Exactly, play them on your Ps3. It can play the "MP4 1280x720". :)

And yes the Zone-mode looks awesome! Trackdesign and the new zone-meter. Sweet!

lunar
20th March 2008, 04:58 PM
thanks for the info :+ I`ll do that..... :)

HISHO[JP]
20th March 2008, 05:20 PM
the speed looked really slow.
I think it's a side effect of 60fps.

In Moa Therma video, the trail and backfire of Pirhana ship disappears after finishing the race.
Is this a bug? (Maybe the player didn't press accel button when finished.)

The flare effect of ships(while running) is nothing... I think it's a simbol of wipEout since XL/2097...

No trails of missiles...

Back view of Assegai ship is not cool... worse than FX400's one.

But zone graphics are great!

Egg
20th March 2008, 05:52 PM
I've just played it; and not having seen it for a while, I was totally blown away by the sheer volume of STUFF that's happening on-screen.

Don't stress your little heads about missing trails, disappearing effects and all that bollocks. You're pulling apart a preview version from weeks ago. When this game's finished, YOU'RE GONNA LOVE IT.

That is all.

ColdRem'S
20th March 2008, 06:01 PM
Well, Egg, you're a lucky one! :nod
I just hope you're right, I want to be amazed!:dizzy:dizzy
We NEED a release date :rolleyes:
Two new videos on Gamersyde: http://www.gamersyde.com/news_6183_fr.html (french link sorry) including surprising Zone Mode!

supersocks
20th March 2008, 07:01 PM
People watch out. I dug Egg's background and it seems he was an Italian spy in India during Korean war specializing in brainwashing. :nod

Now everyone repeat after me: Engine flares. Engine Flares... :robot

Axel
20th March 2008, 08:59 PM
Egg can you please let me know how the "floatyness" feels? My only moan apart from the barrel rolls is that it doesn't feel like your hovering like the old games thats all. But it is much floatier than Pure for sure.

eLhabib
20th March 2008, 09:26 PM
oh yeah and the release date would be of some minor interest, I guess... ;)

Dogg Thang
20th March 2008, 09:57 PM
I have no doubt about the amount of stuff on screen. It does seem to be the main WO design rule here - have screen, will fill. Yeah I think the trails look pretty weak and I wish there was more of a sense of composition and design but, still, I'm impressed with the technical visual stunts being pulled here. It does have a wow factor. I think it's going to pull in a lot of players on visuals alone.

Medusa
20th March 2008, 10:12 PM
This is such a sick looking game! Wow. There is going to be a ton of new wipeout fans over this one. Maybe even a tonne! It's the best looking futuristic video game scenery I've ever seen. (That is, futuristic where it's a good future. ;) )

The FEISAR gets the best looking design IMO, very sweet. If I play this game sometime before I die, I don't think I'll mind losing to such a great looking ship.

Paradoxx
20th March 2008, 11:20 PM
I prefere the female voice in Wipeout3. In Wipeout3 it sounds more... "computer"... and more sensual at the same time.
...But amazing render ! I'm ready to make my come back and fly at the top of the rankings on Wipeout HD... :D ;)

Lance
21st March 2008, 12:26 AM
Ah. Self-confidence. Or something..
Considering the accomplishments of other French players, self-confidence may be justified. :) Although you're from a different part of France than the Free French Flyers.

omega329
21st March 2008, 08:47 AM
Time for someone to go against the flow, I LOVE the HD HUD, I think it's brilliant and one of the best in the series. Keep up the good work!
btw, welcome to the zone paradoxx ;)

mdhay
21st March 2008, 09:24 AM
I like it too.

omega329
21st March 2008, 09:51 AM
Am I the only one noticing a strange connection me and mdhay are having:?
It's like were almost the same person.
I'm getting suspicious...

mdhay
21st March 2008, 10:24 AM
Holy shi-

What are you suggesting?

Lion
21st March 2008, 11:55 AM
having just watched a couple of the videos... I can see myself playing a LOT of zone mode.. it's like everything that made zone great already, plus some of the best bits of audiosurf mixed in there too :)

the hud design I thought was weak previously... in play it's fine. and it's not too far from the screen edges.. I am concerned about how much it moves around though.. I like how it blurs out for a moment on impacts.

some of the fonts (esp on the start/finish sign) look out of place. are these placeholders? or was clarity deigned to outweigh aesthetics?

the motion blur and most of the sounds are great... though then engine sound when passing a neighbouring ship sounded a bit weak...

the duration on shields and on APs is considerably shorter?

the woman's voice is great I particularly like how it sounds like she's growling the weapon names when it's a warning, but sounds excited/friendly you're activating a shield or AP, or completing a lap. The countdown guy sounded out of place to me.

some of the new weapon sounds (particularly placing a bomb) are awesome.

I'm not too keen on the flaming ship... but I am struggling to think of a better way to indicate visually that the quake had upset something badly enough that it needed time to recover.

eLhabib
21st March 2008, 12:09 PM
Shield distortions? Sparks? Anything is better than flames - but then it doesn't really bother me...
I also noticed the font on the start/finish sign, and although I don't mind it, it does seem kinda out of place. (but actually I like that better than the HUD font)

Sausehuhn
21st March 2008, 12:19 PM
My opinion about the start/finish line font: The best :D
Seems to be something simple like Arial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arial) or Helvetica (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helvetica). And I like that. I'm not too much a fan of these cyber-future-space-fonts if you know what I mean.
Stylistic fonts can look great, sure, but I rather stick to my beloved Helvetica than to some over-used artisitic font.
I imagine WOHD to have the 3.2.1.GO font in the menus as well (take a look at the website, it's used there too) so it's not out of place.

Actually I would like to see more of those simple and clean fonts (SL could replace the huge "Sebenco" at Sebenco Climb with a more fitting font for example).

omega329
21st March 2008, 12:26 PM
I'm not suggesting anything, I'm not adopted or at least I don't think so...

what colour's your hair mdhay?

eLhabib
21st March 2008, 12:52 PM
@Max: 100% agreed.

mdhay
21st March 2008, 01:09 PM
I'm not suggesting anything, I'm not adopted or at least I don't think so...

what colour's your hair mdhay?

Brown.

Egg
21st March 2008, 01:23 PM
I'm not too keen on the flaming ship...

That's work in progress. The mines look better now, too. The ones I did were a bit too metallic and hard to make out.

Fascia
21st March 2008, 02:12 PM
I like the flaming ship, i believe it adds to the intensity of the speed infact, it made it look and feel faster. That said I think that the flaims should be on different parts of the ship too, not just the main cockpit, but also the engines, airbreaks and weapons systems, at random or something.

omega329
21st March 2008, 02:39 PM
Brown.
:blarg
This is getting a little too creepy for my liking...

Axel
21st March 2008, 02:50 PM
This game is really starting to look very good. It seems like it's time to get rid of the Xbox and bring in the PS3 to sit next to my Wii. Not point having a 360 and PS3 :)

Rapier Racer
21st March 2008, 04:57 PM
I like pretty much everything I've seen, OK the Assegai looks 'different' but still good, I agree about that flaming ship effect that has to go guys, really.

Paradoxx
21st March 2008, 10:24 PM
Considering the accomplishments of other French players, self-confidence may be justified. :) Although you're from a different part of France than the Free French Flyers.

My nickname was "Free Division" and I've put some scores on the official ranking of Wipeout Fusion. I'm not a god but I hope I can be a competitor in the future :).

I have Wipeout Pure on PSP, but I'm not a fan of Wipeout on this kind of machine, then, since Wipeout Fusion I'm waiting for the new game that can makes me come back in the race. That's one of the reason I have a PS3 too... I'm "Wipeout HD" ready ^^ !

(My PSN id is Paradoxx... )

Dr. Angryman
22nd March 2008, 04:32 AM
Oh my freakin' gourd.... I just saw the vids and Zone mode's "music tracks" are breath-taking....

Hillo
22nd March 2008, 09:33 AM
Great vids, made me want a PS3&Wipeout HD pretty bad...but i'll propably be happy with mah WO3SE&2097

TearsToShreds
22nd March 2008, 04:14 PM
Certainly a big WOW factor here. I watched the streamed videos, and even in that horrific quality HD looks fantastic. The ships look great, and so do the enviroments (even though I don't like Wipeout's current style, but that's personal). Also have no problem with the HUD, it's just a HUD after all. The temptation to buy a PS3 suddenly becomes really hard to control. :D

Asayyeah
26th March 2008, 09:44 PM
Purely awesome videos, thx SL for providing me reasons to buy soon a ps3 !

My nickname was "Free Division"

Word is small, i met Free division through Wipeout fusion, years ago, i did joined his cool site he built with a friend. Few weeks ago Guillaume told me he was working in a gaming studio with a guy who knew me ! it was Paradoxx :D

Welcome aboard mate and in your new FFF familie :dizzy

Lion
27th March 2008, 03:48 AM
we complained a lot about the hud in another thread, but having now watched these videos on my projector while sitting in the same place as I will be while playing, I have a bit more insight into how they'll seem while playing.. and ironically.. I kinda wish the hud was a bit closer to the centre :P

I'm glad the shield meter is top centre, and the proximity display is great too. the two lower corners are pretty much unseen I think, but that's partly because their designs are too complex to be clear while focussing on where the track goes next.
The same problem seems to afflict the position and lap count displays at the top corners. Their placement would probably be OK if their design was simpler/higher contrast.
I stated earlier that I thought the hud moved around too much. I retract that.. it only seemed that way because I was actively looking at it. while watching the centre of the screen and concentrating on where the track goes, it's noticable that it's moving, but it looks about right.

I'd suggest that more of you try this simple test, choose a video of a track that you've played a lot on psp and focus on following the track with your eyes as if you were playing. see if you agree

eLhabib
27th March 2008, 12:14 PM
you can actually adjust how far to the corners you want to push the HUD.

Frances_Penfold
27th March 2008, 02:32 PM
^^
Ooh, glad to hear that! The "centering" of the HUD elements was my major concern from watching the vids and picts from the most recent version of the game.