PDA

View Full Version : Steering with sixaxis motion sensing

element42
12th March 2008, 05:46 PM
Despite my fervent hopes, I don't think it's going to work adequately, certainly it ain't going to replace the negcon as favoured control mechanism :(
I experimented a bit with Burnout Paradise, and it was mostly bad. It seemed just about controllable when only accelerating calmly, but as soon as I needed to brake or anything: :blarg

omega329
12th March 2008, 06:01 PM
afaik the motion sensitivity on the DUALSHOCK3 has/will be improved over that of the sixaxis, meaning that a response will be made for somthing less than throwing it at the wall:g This should mean that it will be easier to control craft, but I won't be risking whatever might be caused by playing it at phantom, I don't even know if I could move my hands fast enough...

Lion
12th March 2008, 06:38 PM
there may be some games where motion controls are appropriate (it works great in bowling for example) but for the VAST majority of games it's just too imprecise.
this is especially true for steering in racing games.. it's just a gimmick

I'd be happy if a rapid wobble of the sixaxis is used to activate a barrel roll in HD, and I might be able to deal with it for pitch control. but I have zero interest in it as a method for steering.

lunar
12th March 2008, 08:18 PM
Totally agree motion control would probably never work for steering, but it could perhaps be a good solution for pitch control. There`s probably no other way to have independent control of steering and pitch, as with a Negcon. I imagine the problem with any form of motion control is knowing where the centre point is, so one thing that could be useful would be a display on the screen showing an image of the ship relative to horizontal, i.e. neutral pitch, so we can learn how much pitch we are applying with motion sensing, and where the centre point is. You wouldn`t be able to look at it in Phantom, but maybe it would help you get used to how to use pitch control with motion sensing.

Maybe there could also be use of the rumble to help with this - a little bump that you feel in the controller when the pitch is centred, though not much use to a Sixaxis user obviously.

element42
13th March 2008, 09:47 AM
I did actually use the Dualshock3... If it has improved sensing over the standard sixaxis, I dread to think what that's like.

I think the pitch/rumble idea is a great one. And I guess if we have to have barrel rolls, then wobbling the sixaxis to do them is also a good one. Although having both pitch and barrel roll activated through motion sensing might lead to some seriously messed up jumps :?

Rapier Racer
13th March 2008, 10:41 AM
I like the idea of the motion sensing being used to control the pitch. Quite frankly I can't see what other practical use it could have aside from being used solely for barrel rolls.

People are always talking about making the game more accessible right? I think motion sensing pitch control would be a step in the right direction for casual players and also please the hardcore fans. (Assuming it works I've got a launch day shitaxis here). I think a lot of new players are not aware of pitch control in Pulse and so they can only progress themselves so far and probably wonder why they keep getting spanked in Rapier and Phantom.

SL if your going to implement it so the motion sensing can be used to steer the craft I think you are wasting your time, if it wasn't good enough for Motorstorm it sure as hell won't work for Wipeout.

Lance
13th March 2008, 03:52 PM
I wonder if the six-axis could be used for automobile racing as though it were a steering wheel with all controls on the wheel.

Sausehuhn
13th March 2008, 04:05 PM
Played Motorstorm with the SIXAXIS once. I have to say: It is very strange at first. But you can get used to it, I'm sure.
It's very accurate once it's controlled. But you're moving the controller in the air instead of some nub that's in some ball bearing.
That can give the impression of not having anything real in your hands you control.

For WOHD, I would like pitch control via motion sensor. Barrel roll via R1 - L1 combination please. Not via D-Pad/nub anymore - that can lead to BRs you don't want.
Alternative steering with the motion sensor is nice, but I prefer the D-Pad/nub.

Lion
15th March 2008, 08:31 PM
I wonder if the six-axis could be used for automobile racing as though it were a steering wheel with all controls on the wheel.that's the way that most wii driving games work, and also pretty much the way that it works in most ps3 driving games that have tried to use it.
that's where the complaints about the precision (or lack thereof) come in.

Lance
15th March 2008, 09:17 PM
Are any of the Wii driving games really good/compelling/having long term interest?

Assimilator
15th March 2008, 09:55 PM
I'd just like to add that F1 ce using the sixaxis motion sensing for steering is quite good once you get used to it but it's still no neggie.

I hear that the f1 ce developers were helping with some aspects of wipeout HD possible they helped with this too.

stin
15th March 2008, 11:30 PM
Lance, Wii is classed as a family game and I did played it but does not impressed me at all!

stevie:)

Lion
15th March 2008, 11:35 PM
@lance
I no longer live in a place that has a wii (though the place I used to live now has 2 :P)
but speaking for the driving titles that I had played on it before moving: no. none of them do hold long-term interest
the upcoming mario kart wii may hold interest for quite a while, but as said I no longer have a wii around.

buying a wii in NZ is easy, we've never had shortages :) but there's only been about 2 games on it so far that I've liked, the rest force use of inappropriate motion controls.

mdhay
16th March 2008, 08:26 AM
Might as well call it the s**taxis, because I can't get used to its higher function at all(steering)

KingTalo
23rd March 2008, 02:35 PM
Hey all,

It's been quite some time, but seeing as to how i'm enjoying the awesomeness that is Pulse i figured i'd stop in and throw down my 3 pesos. So yes WOHD is going to blow all of our minds.

Now, i've never had the pleasure of using the Neg but i have to say- i bought Pure with my PSP the day it came out (March 2005) and until Pulse came out i played it habitually. I've never had any problems with control (Pure was a bit airbrake intensive), but would imagine if motion were implemented well it could be a viable alternative.

Lunar mentioned having the rumble may help, and maybe it's too battery intensive but i think the rumble could be used to greater effect. Say that in the deadzone (the neutral position) the rumble stays idle, and as you pitch it gets more and more intense until you're at/beyond it's range of motion (at which point the controller would be rumbling at it's highest level). So a hard pitch would be met with greater rumble, and a softer pitch with less. And the neutral position remains still.

If you still don't know what i mean think of those force feedback steering wheels.

TheFrostE
23rd March 2008, 03:04 PM
i gotta go with lion on this one and say that it would be to imprecise. then again i dont use a neGcon either, call me crazy but im just as nasty with a d pad in my left hand :nod

Ash-Omen
23rd March 2008, 11:19 PM
wat i think will be kool is the ability too use D-Pad or Anologue for steering and the sixaxis for pitch control, this would make pitching alot easier and add more depth, imo

eLhabib
24th March 2008, 09:56 PM
well, you're gonna have that, and it even lets you adjust the sensitivity of the sixaxis. Works great (judging from preview build).

Lion
25th March 2008, 10:31 AM
that is great news, thanks eL :)

Skvall
25th March 2008, 10:45 AM
Yes thats really nice. Thats what I like about motion sensing in Motorstorm. You can "lean" in the air, kind of like when riding a motocross. Adds to the feeling, only bad thing is that steering with motion sensor is not precise enough to compete with D-pad/analog. And this will have the best from both. :) :+

Sugar_from_OTW
18th May 2008, 09:32 AM
egg mentioned on another thread that the motion control may not make it at all. I (as most people, I guess) panned the whole motion-control-for-steering thing, but after seeing the 1up preview, I started to get a little excited about it.

Egg
18th May 2008, 10:26 AM
AAAAArrrrrghhhhhhhhh

No, I didn't !!!!

Way to distort a comment. I said I read an interview from SCEA where a guy said he didn't know whether it was going in. In fact, read it for yourself, you'll get the 'tone' of the interview.

http://www.crispygamer.com/_GeneratedPages/Interviews/Interview839.aspx

Darkdrium777
18th May 2008, 02:53 PM
I for one am glad that motion control is in the game because it looks like it is well implemented (It might be the first PS3 game to do that actually). As I said earlier I will try it out.

Wip3ou7
18th May 2008, 06:54 PM
Sometimes I think I'm one of the only people in the world that have success with the SIXAXIS controls in games.... I find it to be HIGHLY accurate when the player using it is deliberate about their motions and angles. I will definately give the full SIXAXIS control scheme a try... but I will probably settle with the d-pad in the end. Not because I don't like SIXAXIS or think it's not accurate or responsive... but simply because I have over 10 years of practice piloting wipeout ships with the dpad, so that's bound to be the most natural to me.

Ota
18th May 2008, 07:10 PM
egg mentioned on another thread that the motion control may not make it at all.
lol
Good way to create a rumor. Read every second word and summarize.
I guess that's what is called the 'Entropy of Information'. ;)

Rapier Racer
18th May 2008, 07:13 PM
Good way to get egg to stop posting.

Wip3ou7
18th May 2008, 07:53 PM
I played F1: Championship Edition with the SIXAXIS steering and I thought it worked great.

Norfolk'n'Clue
19th May 2008, 12:25 PM
I'm defo going to try it - wouldn't have bothered, but apart from the 1UP guys enthusing about it and saying it's really good. They said you need to practice for about 4 days or something to get anywhere near good. I love the idea of controlling pitch by lifting the controller - it was the one thing I found hard to do on Pure with so much else going on.

piper999
20th May 2008, 04:47 PM
Has anyone on here played Warhawk?

You can use motion sensing in that game to control jet fighter type vehicles and it works brilliantly. Very fast, very accurate and very believable handling.

I think if the sixaxis is used as well for Wipeout HD the game should be incredible.

Another somewhat less relevant example of brilliant sixaxis control is High Velocity Bowling.

mdhay
21st May 2008, 08:15 AM
Has anyone on here played Warhawk?
Try and stop me! And welcome to the forums.

I tried the Sixaxis on it, thought it was "good" and went straight back to the sticks.

infoxicated
21st May 2008, 11:08 AM
I did some power boating in GTAIV last night and the sixaxis was great for it - probably because boats have that sort of fuzziness anyway. I cant see it being of much use with regards to steering precision, although I think it'd be useful for pitch control.

piper999
21st May 2008, 04:21 PM
Try and stop me! And welcome to the forums.

I tried the Sixaxis on it, thought it was "good" and went straight back to the sticks.

Cheers!

Personally speaking I'm hoping for the option of acceleration and braking being done by the trigger buttons and all other steering to be done by sixaxis.

eLhabib
21st May 2008, 04:32 PM
You can do that in HD.

Linchpin
21st June 2008, 06:05 PM
Just thought I'd add my 2 cents .
I tried the motion sensing controls for motor storm , ok I admit there was a sliight delay that was frustrating at first , but after about an hour or so I was completely used to it , could turn just as well as with the d-pad . I actually find it way more fun steering with the six-axis motion sensing , feels more relaxing .
So even if it takes me a while to get good at using it with wipeoutHD , I'm definitely not going to go back to the d-pad . I feel way more immersed in the game using six-axis , it is definitely more fun and relaxing . And I'm not trying to be a world champion wipeout pilot.
So .. immersion and fun is better than precision steering for me.. :banzai

sakerbax
22nd June 2008, 03:31 PM
I'm not really interested in replacing the nub with motion sensing but using it to control pitch would be great especially if we get some feedback (like rumble) when we're not at the right angle, that would be really intuitive

Sugar_from_OTW
22nd June 2008, 10:19 PM
I did some power boating in GTAIV last night and the sixaxis was great for it -

I thoght it worked well with the bike in the sixaxis tutorial. Once I got on the streets on a bike, however, it was really difficult.