PDA

View Full Version : The Starting Grid

Sven
11th July 2002, 02:32 PM
The moment I saw Fusion's starting grid the first time, it was immediately familiar. The familiarity comes from the Wipeout (1) intro video where doors open and these big magnetic clamps come out holding the ships. While there are no magnetic clamps (they would be hard to work out in a full grid, no?), there are the doors, and I think the Fusion Team was directly inspired by Wipeout.
Thoughts?

infoxicated
11th July 2002, 05:16 PM
Well, yeah - Studio Liverpool made the original one and 2097/XL so they had more in common with that than Wipeout 3 which was made at Leeds.

I quite like the opening sequence, but the whole klaxxon thing just pisses me off - I really wish you could turn that off on the grid and in the menus... it's really, really, really, really, really annoying!

Lance
11th July 2002, 06:09 PM
what are you trying to say, Rob?

:)

Sven
11th July 2002, 10:18 PM
what's wrong with the klaxxon? and you can always skip the intro sequence if it bothers you that much.

AmishRobot
12th July 2002, 01:44 AM
No matter how fast you hammer the button during the load sequence, you'll always get this obnoxious burst of noise when the race starts. It's quite jarring, impossible to avoid, and yes, it's really, amazingly, unbelievably annoying. I despise it.

And about the announcer, I've been very vocal in just how much I miss the old Amiga voice from XL/2097, but I may have found something better. On the new Flaming Lips album, the first song begins with this voice sample that would fit like a glove, and just sounds... cool. You can check it out here (http://flaminglips.com/player). It's the very beginning of the first song, "fight test".

Wamdue
15th July 2002, 10:20 AM
i think the alarm should be more like the one in the Deathstar, not as annoying and more terrifying. ;)

about the grid sequense, yeah, i belive they were influenced by the wipEout 1 intro sequense.. I remember when I was waiting for both 2097 and wip3out, both times I was hoping for the game to include this part of the race , because in-game, there would just be dull textures.. too bad the ship lifters disapears before start, i would love to see them holding the ship up until the race is started, then it would be exactly like the wipEout intro :)

Sven
15th July 2002, 12:39 PM
yeah, but that would also make it too hard to get out of the grid =P