PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout 3 SE on PSP, PAL resolution question

AG-wolf
27th February 2008, 05:38 PM
I recently modded my PSP... like any good Wipeout fan, I've put ISO's of all the PSX WO titles, and Pure and Pulse on my memory stick (in before ZOMG PIRACY; I own all the games legitemately).

WO1 - forgot how stilted this was compared to the Saturn version
WOXL - plays beautifully, a perfect portable racer
WO3 - wait... why bother, when-

I have WO3SE. I never got it to run on my NTSC TV without picture roll, then I found some other good PAL - NTSC conversion tools and disc loaders... I can get it to work, but the CD Audio doesn't play or the picture stretches off the screen on the top and bottom.

I figured I'd rip the disc and convert it to play on PSP... it works, but I get black bars at the top and bottom of the screen (see attached image) I've used a couple apps to convert PAL to NTSC (Zapper 2000, Popstation GUI 3), but when they patch the disc image, the picture stretches off screen on the top and bottom just like my TV, and the game plays faster than it's supposed to (the 50hz/60hz change I'd imagine) and doesn't feel right.

Now, considering i have both WO1 and XL on the memory stick, not to mention both classic circuits in Pure, I don't really need to play the special edition of 3, I could just rip my normal NTSC WO3 disc... but I want to be able to finally play this game, and weren't there some extra prototype tracks or something too?

If anyone knows what i could do to get this to display properly, any help would be appreciated. I know there are other sources to ask, too, but I figure there has to be a few dedicated enough people here that someone might have figured something out :P

Task
28th February 2008, 03:24 AM
I would have to say that a couple black bars are a small price to pay for a functioning WO3SE on a handheld without losing your shield bar.

Accept what you have and rock on!

That is the opinion which is mine.

Lance
28th February 2008, 05:29 AM
'''What I wrote. That theory. That is mine. *cough* That which is my theory about dinosaurs. [goes on and on in this fashion for two more minutes] That they are extinct. *cough* My theory which is mine.'''

Or something like that. Courtesy of Monty Python.

AG-wolf
28th February 2008, 03:26 PM
hahaha, quiet you :P Though I think I'm gonna go with Task and just accept that I can play it at all...

Rapier Racer
28th February 2008, 03:50 PM
Now, considering i have both WO1 and XL on the memory stick, not to mention both classic circuits in Pure, I don't really need to play the special edition of 3

Yeah you do because it has Wipeout tracks with SEs physics, finally a form of the first game thats bearable to play!

AG-wolf
28th February 2008, 08:33 PM
I dunno, I still prefer WO1 on Saturn the most :P Don't get me wrong, WO3s physics are an infinite improvement... but there's still a lot of nostalgia in the first game XD I honestly still like XL/64's physics the most, but most people would call that blasphemous

Lance
28th February 2008, 10:55 PM
But not Al Sartwell/jabberjaw. IIRC, he likes 64 the best. And many of us are fans of XL/2097.

Axel
29th February 2008, 09:26 PM
I like 64 the best too :)

TheFrostE
7th April 2008, 07:51 PM
me three...well i like them all, but i am definetly liking 64. as for saturn wipeout 1, that is just a joke in my eyes, no wonder you beat my time in terramax with hitting two walls ;) , eric...it BARELY slows you down in saturn

elitepspfreak
4th March 2009, 07:06 PM
The same thing happened with me, I have it, so I just got WipEout 3 NTSC and played it, even though I want WipEout 3 Special Edition, but it's only in PAL. What if you use a ppf patch, or try converting it with PSX2PSP it has some PAL2NTSC options.

Darkdrium777
4th March 2009, 07:23 PM
I did manage to convert SE using POPStation GUI (I think that's what it's called) using a PAL to NTSC fix. It worked, played, but like AG-Wolf here I had a black bar. This time sitting at the top of the screen (Or the bottom, can't remember). I remember reading somewhere that this was adjustable somehow using another program, but it's long ago and to be honest the black bar was OK to me. ;)

Ally
8th March 2009, 04:07 PM
Wip3outSE running adequately on PSP would make me buy one and stop borrowing my brothers. If anyone can get it working at proper speed etc for the love of God share it!

Darkdrium777
8th March 2009, 09:19 PM
PM sent, as I doubt Rob would allow me to explain the procedure here.

AG-wolf
9th March 2009, 02:33 AM
easy as pie, but discussion is frowned upon. I have all 4 versions of Wipeout 3 on my psp actually, all running properly :P

wipeout rocks
7th January 2010, 03:59 PM
could someone link me to a psx-psp download please

xEik
7th January 2010, 07:15 PM
Digging an old thread, asking for an illegitimate copy...
Thread locked.
Please read the forum rules.

EDIT: I see now that you were asking for the conversion software, not the game ISO. Even having that in mind, discussions related to Custom Firmware aren't allowed in WipeoutZone.