PDA

View Full Version : Mini Map

Kevlar
25th February 2008, 06:13 PM
As the title suggests, how do you think a minimap in the bottom left corner of the screen would work?(moving the lap timer to the top right/left/center)

Fascia
25th February 2008, 06:28 PM
I can't really see it workings, you'd have to divert your view, and well, diverting your view is usualy a big no no.

Kevlar
25th February 2008, 06:33 PM
I think it could work if, say you're on a straight-and I doubt you'd spend a great deal of time looking at it(like 1-3 secs)

Asymeel
25th February 2008, 06:40 PM
It may be possible for venom and flash classes maybe.
But for faster classes...houu i can't imagine =]

Frances_Penfold
25th February 2008, 07:27 PM
Well, given how handy the mini-maps are in Mario Kart (especially Super Circuit on the GBA and Mario Kart DS), I would really like to have a small, on-screen course map that showed the positions of my opponents. It is an option that ideally could be toggled on/off.

I mean, right now the top wipers do this the hard way, by looking backwards while racing :dizzy

It would be nice to be able to know what weapons / power-ups opponents have as well...

Sausehuhn
25th February 2008, 07:42 PM
I like it the way it is.
These maps make it less challenging.

Frances_Penfold
25th February 2008, 10:48 PM
Less challenging, perhaps, but my experience with Mario Kart is that it adds a whole other layer of strategy-- you then KNOW where your opponents are and what they are armed with.

Are you in first place, and notice that the back person got a blue shell? Quick drop to second place to avoid being the target.

Person behind you get a red shell? Quickly drop back or get ahead.

Ok, well, obviously Wipeout is just fine without the maps but I do think they *could* add something to the game... in some ways, are the "incoming weapon" indicators in Wipeout HD sorta filling this roll?

Chickenman
26th February 2008, 05:32 AM
For me in racing games I've always turned off the map (where possible), it's another thing to block the HUD. The current weapon activated icon (I play 'in craft' mode) takes up enough of the HUD as it is.

The announcer tells you what weapon is about to come your way. And as previously mentioned, the incoming weapon indicator in HD will all but make a map that tells you who has what weapon redundant.

ZenDJiNN
26th February 2008, 09:10 AM
With the size of the screen i think there's enough on there already. Any more & it will just make it harder on some of the turms & Mag-strips etc.

It could work on the HD version though, and could be pretty helpful. :)

P52Smith
27th February 2008, 04:04 PM
I've always thought that there should be a map.

Only thing I would say is to put it at the bottom in the middle!

Great ideas though!

jklasdf
31st March 2008, 02:20 PM
a map should at least be an option, even if ur never gonna use it. i personally would rather just race the track to the point of knowing it off by heart because that just seems more legitimate to me, but there are of course going to be people who would rather just be able to glance at a mini map to kno where they are going.

this is especially true for ppl that are new to the game and know nothing about the tracks.

P52Smith
31st March 2008, 04:33 PM
I'd use it mainly to know where I am in terms of distance rather than just in time. Also I could use on all 7 oponents not just the nearest to me.