PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Pulse worth getting a PSP for?

XR_GTR
20th February 2008, 11:09 PM
I would really love to play one of the Wipeout games (lost my Wipeout 3 disk eons ago and Fusion is... er...) again, but from what I hear on WOZ, most people's reactions seem to be mixed. With all the talk of bugs and cheaters running rampant in the game, should I get a PSP and Wipeout Pulse? Or just wait for HD (since I already have a PS3) ?

Kyang
20th February 2008, 11:14 PM
Wipeout Pulse is set the be one of about only two games which I will be playing on my PSP for quite some time. As far as buying a PSP just for a single game, I never found that to be a wise decision, regardless of how much I liked the game.

However the mixed bag of claims of glitches and bugs has kind of passed me over. I have not encountered a single one yet, other than missing a shadow on a few bits on the Moa Therma track.

Task
21st February 2008, 02:28 AM
Well XR_GTR, (man, sounds like a model number, are you a Xios pilot by chance?)
I don't know if Pulse will be the most fun you've ever had with Wipeout, but if it isn't I'll bet that Pure would be. Pulse has built-in online capabilities, so go with that one if that's what you're after. Pure has more sliding, the "feel" of the two games is really different. Pure is a much larger game by the looks of things (the EU version is huge), lean that way if you're looking for the "hours and hours and hours" of solo play.
I've put a ridiculous number of hours into Pure the past year, and this year I'll be putting a similarly ridiculous number of hours into Pulse, I'm sure.

And hey, there's a lot of other good games for the PSP that you'll be able to pick up cheap as well. I've already got Silent Hill and Field Commander and Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo. I've got my eye on a couple more as well, the PSP is hardly a one game system. Wipeout can make it look like one, though. 8 )

If you can find a friend or two in the area with a PSP, you would not believe the fun that can be had in Ad-Hoc mode. Astounding!

Frances_Penfold
21st February 2008, 03:31 AM
I agree with Task! With the double-combo of Wipeout Pure and Wipeout Pulse, no racing fan can go wrong :)

Nowadays you can also pick up a number of other AAA titles (Daxter, Lumines, Megaman) for cheap (<$20 USD).

If nothing else, think about how much more exciting your bathroom breaks can be with a PSP :hyper

Vincent_VII
21st February 2008, 03:41 AM
LOL @ bathroom breaks comment. The **** definitely moves faster. :clap

*shrugs* I play my PSP more than any other "console" I own. A lot of that time is spent playing Pure/Pulse. I kind of bought a slim PSP for Pulse, myself. I wanted the faster refresh rate and raised D pad. ;)

stin
21st February 2008, 06:53 AM
I done over 130hrs of Pulse, is that enough for you?

I done over 700hrs of Pure as well.

Just go and get it!:hyper

stevie:coffee;)

infoxicated
21st February 2008, 08:17 AM
I think there are dozens of good reasons to get a PSP.

Gameplay wise, WipEout Pulse is one of them.

Nadia Elenova
21st February 2008, 08:36 AM
There is a lot of reasons, but I'd buy it even if it's just for pure and pulse! :p

bloseth
21st February 2008, 09:12 AM
Pure was the reason why I got mine. Even though I have other games I think 95% of my PSP-time has been with the Wipeouts. I'd say get one, and get the slim version. The reduction in weight actually has much to say when playing some.

Rapier Racer
21st February 2008, 09:28 AM
Your gonna buy a PSP and one Wipeout game? Then get Wipeout Pure.

Kansas
21st February 2008, 04:46 PM
A great PSP game is Daxter. Also try Patapon when it comes out.

Animagic
21st February 2008, 05:22 PM
my PSP is my main console.
But if you already have a PS3 I would wait until you hear details on WipEout HD and see if you like their pricing structure, and if not, just go with pure and pulse on PSP.

I don't expect wipeout hd to come out before september, but I would love to be wrong.

phl0w
21st February 2008, 07:35 PM
Pulse worth getting a PSP for? Definitely no, but that's the general consensus throughout the answers given - STOP - If you're into WO I'd say get another WO3 disc, I THINK it still looks and plays better than Pulse. - STOP - As some said, Pure is the better single player choice. - STOP - et ceterum censeo, that a PSP without CFW isn't worth getting at all. - STOP - I CAN ONLY THINK OF ONE game that I can honestly say was worth my time: Lumines. - STOP - Just don't get yourself talked into getting a PSP, you decide, understand?

Edit: Whether Pulse makes it worthwhile to buy a PSP for that game alone depends entirely on the character of the player, not on what other players' opinions of the game might be.
That was my initial purpose, to keep the thread starter from believing other people's opinions about PSP games in general, because they tend to be way too biased and like a salesman's mantra.

Lance
21st February 2008, 08:35 PM
''Last edited by phl0w : Today at 09:45 PM. Reason: in case I insulted somebody or his dog/ cat''

[cogitates for a bit] I think you still insulted their mouse. Even after the edit. :D

Edit: Whether Pulse makes it worthwhile to buy a PSP for that game alone depends entirely on the character of the player, not on what other players' opinions of the game might be.

Dogg Thang
21st February 2008, 08:39 PM
Whoever tells you about other awesome games for the PSP is lying or an unreflected gamer who would waste his time on anything. EDIT (read: is a good person who's actions and opinions should not be questioned and/ or criticized)

Now, you see this just sounds like you're being a dick and there is really no need for it. The person described in your edit is you. Anyone who disagrees with your opinion is a liar? Please.

Lance
21st February 2008, 08:55 PM
And BTW, phl0w, you have a PM from me

phl0w
21st February 2008, 09:14 PM
Thanks, I like mail ;)

Asymeel
21st February 2008, 09:33 PM
I think pure and pulse are very good games. In my point of view, you can buy a console for only 1 or 2 games if they really worth it.

Having played to pulse and pure makes me now want to play the older wipeout games to discover other tracks =]

BARTgai
22nd February 2008, 03:51 AM
Bought my first PSP (phat) back in '05 with Pure. Best thing I ever did :)

Rush25
22nd February 2008, 04:18 AM
i got my psp for pure too! if pulse came out before pure i would've gotten my psp for pulse! :P

it was more of a win win thing for me, i spent (spend actually) alot of time on the wipeout games but when i discovered other games like twisted metal, GTA and LocoRoco i was sold.

i know the psp is a portable console but i play so much of it even when im at home!

Kansas
22nd February 2008, 06:01 AM
I use my PSP for more than just games, although I will admit that one of the main reasons I got it was to get Pure. However, I have several PSP games, including SOCOM: Bravo Team, Daxter, Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition, Pulse, and soon, Patapon.

Intera
22nd February 2008, 07:38 AM
I don't know, depends how into wipeout you are.

All I'll say is I was looking for games to trade in out of my 8 psp games, and Pulse was the only one that was a definite NO.#

OT for a sec, Kansas Patpon is brilliant isnt it hehe :)

Rapier Racer
22nd February 2008, 06:24 PM
Do you have any of the GTA games on the PSP? You should trade those in..

Kansas
22nd February 2008, 06:53 PM
I don't know, depends how into wipeout you are.

All I'll say is I was looking for games to trade in out of my 8 psp games, and Pulse was the only one that was a definite NO.#

OT for a sec, Kansas Patpon is brilliant isnt it hehe :)

Amazing game, bro. It's like an acid trip (not that I do that stuff lol)

zargz
22nd February 2008, 11:23 PM
should I get a PSP and Wipeout Pulse? yes, you should.

xdirex
23rd February 2008, 03:10 AM
I brought my PSP just to play Wipeout Pure on, as I heard it was a real return to form after Fusion.

Definitely happy with my choice, especially now that Pulse is out! While I still prefer the handling of the classic Wipeouts (2097 and 3), Pure and Pulse are amazing games in their own right, and definitely worthy additions to the Wipeout franchise.

I actually use my PSP for more than just Wipeout, but this is definitely the primary reason that it exists in my life.

I think that the fact that you're asking the question says it all. You won't regret it... ;)

rejj
23rd February 2008, 01:16 PM
Unless you have a large amount of disposable income handy, I'm going to have to go against the trend of this thread and say that no, you shouldn't.

It seems that most people are overlooking the fact that your question translates to "should I pay $300 for this game?" - and the (hopefully!) clear answer to that is "no". I'm not saying that it isn't good or that it isn't worth playing.. but no game is worth that much.

If you've got some other titles that interest you on the PSP also, then it is worth considering.. but no one game is worth buying a whole system for.
Regardless of the game, regardless of the system.

Kansas
24th February 2008, 02:49 AM
I've also used my PSP as an MP3 player in the past and for movies and as a browser. Don't forget that the PSP is more than just for games.

phl0w
25th February 2008, 08:27 AM
With my Pulse UMD slowly dying on me (makes alarming noises while spinning), I stopped playing it, so now my PSP only acts as a portable Go-computer and podcast-walkman, with the occassional Patapon session, although the game couldn't live up to its hype, way too easy and repetitive. Bottom line: I constantly find myself in lack of motivation and urge to switch on my PSP, but do something constructive instead :)

Medusa
25th February 2008, 03:05 PM
If you already have a PS3, then the wait for HD is not too long. It depends how much you loved the old games I think, and if the idea of barrel rolls irritates you or not. You may spend the cash to play Pulse for a few weeks before HD is released, and find yourself hating the BRs and glitches or even the overall gameplay, which you'll get in HD anyways (hopefully not the glitches though).

Try to find somewhere you can test Pulse out a bit before buying? You'll never know 'til you try it.

Rapier Racer
26th February 2008, 04:49 PM
Well theres a Pulse demo on the PSN what better way to test.

Lance
26th February 2008, 05:30 PM
It occurs to me to mention that I've still not bought a PS2, much less a PSP. It takes several good games that I think I would like to play for a lot of hours per game to make it worthwhile to me to buy a console.

Chrono
26th February 2008, 05:45 PM
PS2's are dirt cheap at any game retailer store, used.

Medusa
26th February 2008, 08:29 PM
I think you've made a wise decision, Lance. I've only played ICO on PS2 that I thought actually made the PS2 worthwhile. (This is because I don't game very much. I have car racing on my PS1 and could care less about better graphics, it's still car racing.) It takes a very different sort of game to really perk up my interest. People rave about a lot of RPG games but I guess I'm too cynical to bite the lure.

The only really interesting game on PSP I've found so far (Other than Practical Intelligence Quotient, and I can do brainteasers without a PSP, lol) is the preview for Flow. It looks seriously drug-induced and dreamy. I think I could enjoy it.:o

I'm thinking of getting rid of PSP once done with Pulse. It's a small screen and it's hard on the eyes. It's very, very cool, but I really don't need it and don't really want it that much. I suppose if I drop it a couple more times I won't need to sell it...

Lance
27th February 2008, 04:39 AM
PS2's are dirt cheap at any game retailer store, used.

And yet I still have not bought one. :D

-------

Izzy, I don't have the patience to play RPGs; there's too much slow wandering about, and usually too many repetitive fights, etc, so that disqualifies a lot of beloved fan favourites right there. And I don't like to do puzzles; if I'm going to do analytical thinking, I'd rather use it to design a machine, usually a vehicle, but maybe a telescope or something, or lots of things. I usually only like racing or martial arts games. And man, did GT ever start sucking by the time it got to PS2.

Medusa
28th February 2008, 02:39 AM
"there's too much slow wandering about, and usually too many repetitive fights, etc, ..."

Yes, exactly! Which is why I spend more time admiring the artistic touches of ICO than actually enjoying the boy-with-horns vs. shadows bits, lol! It's nice to not have metres and maps and garbage littering the screen so I can see the pretty castle. (I must admit I'm not even half-done it and haven't touched it in months.)

Regarding the PSN Pulse demo: it's noteworthy that only Euro PSN members can use it. Unless anyone can prove me wrong? I couldn't use it, anyways.

Dominator
29th February 2008, 11:56 AM
Wow ICO . . . that takes me back a bit, what a visually stunning game that was, great game play too, would love to see it as a download for PSP sometime soon :D

Task
1st March 2008, 06:50 PM
Yeah, ICO was the best thing I ever played on my PS2.
There's one level (about 5/8 through the game) where you're on a long rope bridge over a lake through a chasm and when you hit the midway point the camera shifts so you can see this enormous majestic waterfall...
I literally dropped the controller, it was so stunning. Stood there for at least 5 minutes, moving the camera around, having a look-see...

Great game. One of the few I really sunk a lot of hours into.

phl0w
2nd March 2008, 08:44 PM
Ah, ICO, major flashback and recurring memories...
I don't wanna spoil anybody who hasn't made the incredible experience of playing ICO, that's why I'll keep it cryptic :) Task, after your first play through did you *hint hint* start a second game *cough* :)?

Task
5th March 2008, 11:40 PM
No. I nearly got the hidden weapon (didn't futz with the tree enough), but I didn't play through the game again. I didn't really want to know, I felt that not knowing was half the charm.

taqili
9th March 2008, 08:26 AM
back (slightly) on topic: all the good people say that wipeout on psp slim is far superior. since I already have a working psp-1001, is wipeout worth a psp slim? tv-out is really selling me, but what about the controls? is it that much better? I am not made of money, especially since I'm about to purchase a PS3 and who knows how many games, but I do so love my psp.

infoxicated
9th March 2008, 10:09 AM
If you were to trade your old PSP and get good money for it then a PSP slim is definitely worth the upgrade. I kept my old one because my girlfriend uses it, but every time I go to pick it up I'm amazed at how I carted something that weighty around with me.

Dunno if it's worth upgrading to a PSP slim just for a single game, but the overall benefits of faster loading and better controls improved many of the games in my collection, making it justifiable for me.

Intera
9th March 2008, 03:37 PM
The D-Pad is a lot better on the slim imo, which of course makes a diff to WO.

phoenixx
22nd March 2008, 10:54 PM
I loved WIPEOUT right from the early beginning, and I bought my PSP only because of PURE.
To be able to play WIPEOUT everywhere is great... I'd buy the PSP again even if WIPEOUT was the only game available...

blixabargeld
23rd March 2008, 06:50 PM
buy a psp for a wipeout game? than get both!
don't underrate bathroom-breaks matter, as suggested before..:cowboy