PDA

View Full Version : Harimau in Pulse?

aerobie
20th February 2008, 10:29 PM
I know I could just wait for the download pack to become available in the UK tomorrow and try Harimau out for myself, but this has been perplexing me for a (short) while: What is the deal with the Harimau ship in Pulse? It has exactly the same stats as Assegai, except its acceleration is one notch worse.

Why release a craft that is already matched by another in three categories and then outclassed in the fourth? Am I missing something? Is it so that Harimau drivers have extra bragging rights when they cream Assegai drivers online? Or does Harimau have some other edge that isn't included in the stats, like an easier to manage centre of gravity or less deceleration when it hits the rails?

I know that there are Harimau fans out there... I'm not questioning the presence of the team in Pulse; I'm glad Harimau's making a comeback. I'm just wondering why it wasn't given an extra point for shields or something to make up for how it compares with Assegai.

(Something similar happened to Harimau in Pure as well: the Omega Ships (Klor, Turboweevel, Haironaut, and Cardracer) edged out Harimau in stats, making it kinda obsolete--except for those who are fiercely devoted Harimauans, of course!)

(P.S. Hello, this is my first post, though I've been visiting this forum since the UK release of Pulse. You may have played against me online already--my PSN name is 'aerobie' and I'm the one flailing around uncontrollably on the track most of the time.)

Kansas
20th February 2008, 10:37 PM
I've never seen the appeal of Harimau myself. It's a cutesy ship but never a serious threat or one of my particular favorites.

phl0w
20th February 2008, 10:43 PM
No two ships are the same even if their stats say so. The game engine combines many, many factors into 4 stats. It's pretty much a breakdown to have an "overview" of how a ship may behave.

There's a thread (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4528&highlight=piranha) that may answer your question.

aerobie
20th February 2008, 10:50 PM
It's pretty much a breakdown to have an "overview" of how a ship may behave.

Aaaah... gotcha. Thanks! I'm really looking forward to the next pack tomorrow: Harimau and the final new track, Orcus.

Dragoon111
21st February 2008, 07:11 AM
I dont like Harimau myself although i like its stats(but as you said there are identical to Assegai's stats:frown:).Its good that represent a country for the AG competition but the geometry of the ship its familiar to AG-systems(thin front and the massive engine from behind) and i dont like the porpuse of this team.Save the enviroment yes,i love nature myself but i think this doesnt suit for the international AG competiton.I like the name and the translation of the name though(tiger);)

Hellfire_WZ
21st February 2008, 11:54 AM
To anyone who has downloaded the Harimau pack, could you give an assessment on how it compares to Assegai? As I've never really used Assegai at all, maybe one of the more long-term users would be in a better position to compare. Bit stuck as to what to write for the guide :?

TearsToShreds
21st February 2008, 04:35 PM
So, eventually I did get it (+the Auricom pack), had enough money left for a Pulse pack this week... And Harimau doesn't seem to differ much from Assegai, although after a few speedlaps on Moa Therma I did beat my Assegai record. So I'm not sure if it's better in some unknown ways. Even though the handling has a rating of 9, it feels a little bit lumpy to me, but it might just be the shape of the craft making it seem that way. It's certainly a pretty ship, and aesthetically I prefer it over Assegai.

Animagic
21st February 2008, 05:12 PM
the stats bars don't say anything about how the ships "feel" to fly around.

That's why I like Harimau, cause of the way it feels.
and also the colors on the ship look freaking awesome, that doesn't hurt...

P52Smith
22nd February 2008, 10:49 AM
They look awesome normally, and inverted. I did a custom skin and inverted the colours using paint and:eekare they good!
Looking forwrd to actually using it in a race though, will have to wait:brickwalluntil:cake

orgy
22nd February 2008, 12:11 PM
can you use harimau online?

P52Smith
22nd February 2008, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately no.
This information is in many other places though, most people know this by now, if you looked at the Icaras page it tells you so, I've not looked at the Harimau page but I would be very surprised if it was available online.

Rapier Racer
22nd February 2008, 04:56 PM
So would everyone else on this forum no doubt.

P52Smith
20th April 2008, 02:22 PM
Yep, no doubt about it

Besides, they're not