PDA

View Full Version : Best camera view : inside? outside?

Asymeel
20th February 2008, 04:30 PM
Hi,

I would like to ask which view of camera is used most of times, from inside or from outside?

Personaly, i use the inside camera because of 2 reasons :
- The speed sensations especially in rapier and phantom classes.
- And because i have always been used to select this view so now i can't play with the other one =].

Besides, i think the main cons of the inside view is that you don't always correctly see bombs and mines in front of you.

So what do you think is the best one, inside ? outside ? the one you are used to play with ?

PS : This is my first post so i just wanted to say that i'm happy to join the WOZ community =]

Ash-Omen
20th February 2008, 04:39 PM
hi welcome to the zone!,

i use outside view because u can see better wats goin on around u and i like to look at the ship :D

omega329
20th February 2008, 04:42 PM
First of all
Welcome to the zone!
I personally prefer the outside close view just so I can see the gorgeous texture detail and concept ship designs.
In my opinion, zone should always be played in outside close view, it really helps with the cornering as you know how far you can go across without hitting the wall.

EDIT:aww... ash beat me....

Asymeel
20th February 2008, 04:50 PM
Yes i think you're right because it's true that in zone mode i really have know the race by heart to anticipate with the inside view.
But the problem is that it's very hard to change of camera view when you've always played like that in WO :o.

Renegäde
20th February 2008, 05:36 PM
I dont think ive used an inside view (unless its a full detail in car view) on any game let alone Wipeout. I just love looking at the ship to much to use anything but the outside view. Up until last week I was using the far outside view but switched to close as I feel it makes my racing alot sharper. Still prefer the looks of the far view though.

TheFrostE
20th February 2008, 06:37 PM
far view is too far and the inside is too hard to judge unless your REALLY used to it. so its the middle view for me :)

Sausehuhn
20th February 2008, 06:39 PM
Middle for better control.
Inside for a better feeling of speed and more fun.

So it's the inside view for me.

Asymeel
20th February 2008, 07:33 PM
It's interesting to notice that looking at it's own ship while playing is very important for the outside camera players :p

Nadia Elenova
20th February 2008, 10:34 PM
I've just tryed a couple of times the inside view but I'm not used to it.
It's easier for me to follow my race lines in the middle view.

phl0w
20th February 2008, 10:59 PM
Only racer I ever played outside is F-Zero, MicroMachines and Mario Kart.
Why would I care how my ship looks like? If I wanna see something pretty I look at paintings.

Kyang
20th February 2008, 11:18 PM
I use the outside "Close" view. My reasoning is that it is easier to avoid the walls and opponent vessels close by. I also think the game just looks better this way.

However, if I suddenly feel like I want to "feel" the speed of the game, I choose the Internal view. The "Close" view just doesn't capture the feeling the speed the same way.

Task
21st February 2008, 02:31 AM
It's interesting to notice that looking at it's own ship while playing is very important for the outside camera players :p8 ) I wonder if these are the same people that have the side-view mirrors on their car turned inwards so they can see their own car? 8 D

I always play internal view, I need to see the track and my ship constitutes an enormous blind spot if it's on the screen.

Vincent_VII
21st February 2008, 03:45 AM
Middle/close behind. I like the internal view in Pulse but the camera feels too low to the track, like it's under the ship. I think it needs to be raised a few feet...

cybrpnk
21st February 2008, 04:16 AM
Inside for me...been playing inside since day one of WipEout on the PSOne...

I tried switching to outside once and it totally threw my sense of depth off...I seem to gauge turns better inside and how much airbrake to apply...o...and the sense of speed is damn cool...

Dragoon111
21st February 2008, 07:02 AM
I agree with Vincent,the inside view from the AG ship its to low for its geometry.I'd prefer the outside view,better feeling of the enviroment,the rival ships and the close-incoming weapons.....before you take a face such as this:eek when a plasma hits your own ship.

bloseth
21st February 2008, 07:03 AM
The first few weeks of WO3 was outside the ship, and I sucked badly. Then i switched to internal view, and improved vastly!

But... Has anyone of you internals (:robot) noticed that the pickup icons block the view in steep/loop sections of the track? I like to look far in front of me!

rejj
21st February 2008, 11:21 AM
I've always played racing games from the nosecam or roofcam camera.. and started playing Pulse the same way also.

That is, until I realised that it is absolutely impossible to see where you are going when doing the ridiculous barrel rolls using the first person view - so I've had to swap to the chase cam. It's not easy to swap views. :(

bloseth
21st February 2008, 11:37 AM
Regarding internal view and barrel-rolls: Yeah, it can be confusing, but hey! I even played Rollcage 1&2 from internal view! :robot *flex*

Jake
21st February 2008, 11:47 AM
After playing through all Wipeout games with the internal view, I have just this last month converted to external (close). It just seems a lot easier to see what is going on around the ship.

I remember the external views for all the PSone Wipeouts being a bit rubbish though.

Rapier Racer
21st February 2008, 11:57 AM
I've always used the furthest away external view I like to see my ship and also I find it easier for aiming weapons, plus the entire screen flips around when you barrel roll using internal view, don't like that one bit.

Animagic
21st February 2008, 05:18 PM
Hey Asymeel, welcome to Wipeoutzone!

I drive in third person when I race a track for the first time ever, but after that it's 1st person only.

I miss the cockpit view of WO3 even though it was totally impractical.
It was cool.

P52Smith
21st February 2008, 06:34 PM
I sometimes use the internal camera view, but rarely in phantom and never in zone mode, always close.
I got a bit bored of some of the ships but I needed to up their loyalty so I decided to use them and the internal camera view.
Personally, I love the spinning effect when barel rolling in internal view.

As to switching mode, this can be done via the in-game options menu when paused, pressing select whilst in a race (paused or not, still works) or from the options menu on the front menu screen.

wich
22nd February 2008, 10:29 AM
I always use a bumper cam in any racer, I like to see as much of the track ahead of me as possible. I know how big my craft is and I have already seen the bend coming at me so I know what my racing line should be, no need to see it when I'm already there.

But yeah, doing a BR or having a raging battlefield just in front of you means you will be essentially blind for a fraction of a second, but again, you already know your racing line so just stick with it an be sure to take in everything when you can see again and take immediate action to continue on your racing line.

Medusa
22nd February 2008, 03:34 PM
I prefer inside view (concave HUD) because I've used it for every wipeout and I'm not going to change now!

The feeling of speed is incredible with the inside view, I feel like I can see further ahead of the ship (perhaps just a psychological thing there...), and it makes it feel more realistic.

And yes, the weapon indicators in Pulse really piss me off when they're so low from the top of the screen like that. Seriously, put them right at the top! This is a game with looped tracks!

Tomahawk
23rd February 2008, 06:10 PM
Inside view only for me. I feel as if the craft is blocking my sight when I'm using outside view and the inside view has a greater speed-feeling.

Lion
24th February 2008, 10:51 PM
external/close for me...
I use bumpercam in every other racing game I play, but I can't handle the tilting of the screen in any wipeout's internal view.
I had the same problem with test drive unlimited's bikes.
so I'll be using external unless an option is provided to not tilt the camera around on bumpercam

MarcoM
25th February 2008, 12:58 PM
I started with the close external. But now I am practicing the internal view. It gives a very good sence of speed. Sometimes it is too hard to see the pads but I am learning.

I wonder this for years (no kidding): which view to use. In many games I adore the internal view, but in WO I find it to difficult. Then Gran Turismo I like to admire the cars but at the same time I like using the internal view.

So I keep switching over and over again from time to time.

lunar
25th February 2008, 04:12 PM
Wipeout 1 is the only game in the series that I can play on external view. With any of the others, if I don`t use internal, I`m just like a drunken sailor at the helm of the ship, and can`t time my turns or even keep the ship in a straight line at all.

TheFrostE
25th February 2008, 07:17 PM
props to all of you guys that use internal like its so natural. i couldnt finish a race to save my life in an internal (well i probably could, but it would be terrible to watch) i wish i could race internal but i feel i would need to re-learn every race again on the speeds to learn the pads better and get used to that darn tilting. and im too good in third person now to consider going back to square one

q_dmc12
25th February 2008, 07:18 PM
I wonder if these are the same people that have the side-view mirrors on their car turned inwards so they can see their own car? 8 D

Yes, (I do) it gives a sense of perspective and scale in relation to the environment surounding my car - no joke.

Mirror(L)
/ env /car|
/___________|____|

jklasdf
31st March 2008, 02:26 PM
i just recently moved to 1st person view permanently. its so much more intense!:D plus i find it really useful for coming out of corners cause you can SEE the corner ending at the same time the ship is supposed to be coming out of the corner, rather than the split second after u might experience in 3rd person view

sakerbax
31st March 2008, 08:18 PM
yes I agree with you, my cornering improved a lot in internal view
but I often find my self being hit by unseen weapons and I also miss being able
to see from which side im being passed by other ships,

all in all if you can drive without internal don't switch it's addicting and has some disadvantages

Darkdrium777
3rd April 2008, 02:32 AM
Either. I played PurE in external and a bit in internal; and PulsE mostly internal, so I can use both without problems. I have a slight preference for the internal though, because the speed effect and the blur looks much better. :)

Delci
3rd April 2008, 02:42 AM
The only problem I have with internal is that I don't know the boundaries of my ship, and whether or not if I turn at this corner if the now-unseen part of my craft will undesirably scrape the wall because I can't see the hull. External allows you to see how wide and long the ship is, so you'll know if you're about to hit something or if you'll scrape a wall during a turn...
...or I could be completely wrong.

Lance
3rd April 2008, 02:51 AM
After you've raced internal/nosecam for awhile, you can feel where the edges of the ship are.

sakerbax
3rd April 2008, 12:26 PM
kind of like when you're actually driving..

Lance
3rd April 2008, 03:46 PM
Yep, very much so.

jklasdf
3rd April 2008, 05:42 PM
yeah, thats exactly wat i noticed. but i can't do 1st person if im in a car, it makes me nauseous:(

Lance
3rd April 2008, 06:15 PM
Do you have a chauffeur? Must be nice. :)

jklasdf
4th April 2008, 04:38 AM
it is B)

P52Smith
26th April 2008, 03:49 PM
I found that I used internal on Pure everywhere except Zone mode where it the close camera was positioned right on top of the jet(?) exhaust. I only use close in Pulse but I would like this even closer camera to be a standard option for future games. Could be called 'Engine'

Albino Ace
2nd May 2008, 02:48 AM
Outside view for me, definitely! Inside...well, I'd get dizzy every time I barrel rolled. :P There's also the further-out outside view, but at some points, the camera gets really low, which prevents me from seeing mines and things...I find the closer outside view to be best. :nod

blixabargeld
7th May 2008, 03:21 PM
External is best in my opinion, but I'm quite envious of people who can drive Internal and make master times..(without the need to barf during barrel rolls) :?

jklasdf
8th May 2008, 11:59 AM
haha, i love doing barrel rolls in internal view! :D they're craaaazy. but i find i can't do internal on phantom very well :P it's just tooo messed

Rapier Racer
9th May 2008, 12:54 PM
External, I like to see the hot stuff that is my ship :g

Edit OOPS I forgot I already replied to this thread

Mad-Ice
11th May 2008, 09:43 AM
Yeah, I like to see the hot stuff too. That is why I always used external view. Lately I have been playing a little bit of the older games with a NeGcon. When I use this controller I really prefer internal view, it is such a natural feeling.

Pure and Pulse I play with external view. The screen is just too small and the controls do not fit with internal for me.

Zackdem
6th November 2008, 02:32 PM
Haaa, finally I find the thread (sorry again Lance :redface:),

As you have maybe already read in the wrong one i made, I love the internal for sensation speed since the first W'O'' (for me it was unplayable with the external).
It sucks for BR, so sometime i'm using the external in some places for specific races if i want to make a good TT, but I will not change for a full time outside view.

archman
15th April 2009, 07:00 AM
I'm using close external all the time, because it feels the easiest that way. But just yesterday, I tried Flash and Rapier class with internal camera and got positively surprised of how good was the feel of speed and action "closest to your eyes". I just wish it had more blurring when performing BRs. Oh YEAH! The BRs rule when using them on internal. I wonder when I'll get used to it that much that I'll be able to play Phantom, heheh... ;)

archman
15th April 2009, 08:24 AM
Tried Phantom with internal camera now. I manage to handle it. LOL :D

btw.: Asayyeah: I admire your internal camera skills (on HD as I see :))! ;)

Asayyeah
15th April 2009, 09:46 AM
A new converted Pilot to the internal view ! speed feeling is definitely there and when you handle that flipping screen when you BR everything will be OK :)
Thx for the compliment and congrats to you to have the 'balls' to change from view ! hats off Archy

archman
15th April 2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks to you too, Asa!
Heh, now I'll be an easy target for you damn fast pilots. :D But I'll manage it, 'cause I really enjoy it! Hey, the cornering is better in internal, you watch for those cussions everytime. I find some corners easier to handle now (example: First long right on Amphi wht). (hm...but I didn't try o7 yet, I still have a fear from those hairpins, heh) And I even choose Triakis or Pirahna over EG.X. I like it minimum handling, to keep it real stable. :D

But the "action" and "uptempo" on internal camera here is at its peak. ****, I'm impressed too much now. (only if there was more blurring on BRs and turbos:()

ACE-FLO
15th April 2009, 11:28 AM
I can playboth Moa-T's and Metropia White in phantom speed class, with the Internal Cockpit view... On the latter, the barrel rolling of the ledge - followed by the turbo induced barrel roll before the last turns of the lap - Are absolutely petrifying... But worth the adrenal boost of energy which I have no doubt you will get, if you pull this off... Just trying to perfect OP7 on Flash with the Cockpit view...

Personally though - for the sake of competition - I prefer the "Close" external view.... It's the compromise between Internal "Cockpit" view and the External - "Far" view...:lol

archman
15th April 2009, 11:30 AM
Heh, I'm kicking o7 wht phantom with internal now (i should be studying now:(). hahhaha, I'm 5 seconds slower on TT :D:D

MrSmadSmartAlex
15th April 2009, 02:19 PM
:lol I've never even considered internal. The thought of it's horrific! I'm going to try it now...

(5 minutes later)
Hahaha! It is horrific! But great fun! I'd never have the balls to use it online though...

archman
15th April 2009, 02:33 PM
I will try it now in 25mins :D

Lion
16th April 2009, 01:29 AM
For reasons I no longer recall I decided to make the switch to internal just after starting on wipeoutHD
There's no going back now

archman
16th April 2009, 07:02 AM
Internal is so much faster. External doesn't feel like Phantom anymore. :D

archman
16th April 2009, 10:56 AM
A new converted Pilot to the internal view ! speed feeling is definitely there and when you handle that flipping screen when you BR everything will be OK :)
Thx for the compliment and congrats to you to have the 'balls' to change from view ! hats off Archy

+1 and also the cornering is somewhat interesting, you look out for that cussion, and by that I manage to get corners more efficiently. The con IMO is that is really hard to run thru pads, you have to be really sharp to kick 'em all up. example that triple speed pads left right left on Fort Gale White.

Asa, when are we going to race, man?!? :D ;)

Asayyeah
16th April 2009, 11:08 AM
Slowly but surely you ll get there, Arch ! About racing you online , i ll have to find a place outside mine ( house i mean) to let me fight you and see by myself how impressive your internal view progression is !

archman
16th April 2009, 11:38 AM
Be gentle. ;)

ACE-FLO
16th April 2009, 04:40 PM
Asayyeah must be awesome to have you Archman, saying "be gentle"... that's scary...:lol Asayyeah - you must be a demon on track....

archman
16th April 2009, 04:42 PM
He is a definite demon on the track, you will feel it...sooner or later...

;)

ACE-FLO
16th April 2009, 05:02 PM
Me... nah... not for a while Arch -he's obviously way too good for me in my current state. I haven't even raced online all week.

I do aspire to such ability though - and my motivation? all the rushes to be had along the way...

komatos
16th April 2009, 09:10 PM
Internal view is the only way to go! I've been playing Internal view since the original Wipeout back in 1995. I prefer my pseudo-full 3D effect in just about all games, including the Wipeout & Ace Combat series, and any first person shooters that you don't have to use an over-the-shoulder viewpoint. Feels so much more lifelike, and really gives you a sense of speed, of being there, of being one with the machine. Gives you a better view usually, too.

Every time I've tried external view (close or far), I've quickly switched back to internal. My brain can't adjust to the smaller sized ship and I tend to overcompensate even more on turns or trying to get weapons/speed pads. Usually within the same lap I've changed the view back.

Not that being used to using the internal view has made me any better at racing online, especially without a NegCon. I still usually chase the back o' the pack at higher speeds (Rapier/Phantom) :D

archman
17th April 2009, 10:49 AM
I also find it better to race without soundtrack, just sfx. It makes me well concentrated! lol

Cheers! ;)

Temet
17th April 2009, 11:25 AM
I like inside view... to see other playing!
I've been playing far external view since 2097... so now I can only play this view... but I would really love being able to play internal view! :D

ACE-FLO
22nd April 2009, 01:47 PM
Tried a few internal view races and its not for me... not with my stigmatism, I'm finding myself reaching for the eyedrops midway through the second lap... Its just too much. But I do understand the addiction, I'm addicted.

Yes, I know I'm contradicting myself - let me put it this way> No Stigmatism = No external views... otherwise, Internal is just way more fun - and like Arch says, Easier to handle the craft (less jerky) which is awesome. Barrell Rolls with internal view are mental helter skelter experiences... Go Mr Archman - you total nut!:dizzy

archman
22nd April 2009, 01:51 PM
Hehehe, Ace. Yep, Internal rocks my ass 100%! :D

Barrell Rolls are ten times bigger fun now. You pull them off, and you get surprised that you ended hitting the wall and stopping to 20kph :D

purist284
17th May 2009, 01:44 AM
I always use internal. My thinking has been when, in real life, would you, say, drive a vehicle while floating behind and above it? The external view is a remnant of video gaming's infancy - a relic from F-Zero and 2D racers before it. I do realize alot of people are just plain used to the external view and find the internal view difficult to adjust to. To each his own.

Ahhh Wipeout 3 had a cockpit view, now that was the $hit.

ACE-FLO
17th May 2009, 02:04 AM
i find that custom skins on other ships look real cool when bashing neck n neck with them whilst using the internal view lol.

however, the 'close external' view is the best compromise. And the one i'm most comfortable with. And the one which i'm most competitively fastest with... if it get's the win, that's all that matters!

RA1D3R
29th May 2009, 02:15 AM
Well I play lots of racing games, and in 90% of them I use the "cock-pit" view.
I agree it creates a better sense of speed and less time to re-act.

But for some reason in pulse I prefer the external view. I would think it's to be more aware of my surroundings which is so critical when traveling at such intense speeds, and the use of weapons by fellow pilots.

MrSmadSmartAlex
12th June 2009, 04:43 PM
I always use the external view in Pulse. I've tried internal, and I was just terrible (by that, I mean more terrible than external:lol). Strange thing is, I've been playing Wipeout and Wipeout 2097 a bit recently, and can only race internal on those:?. All the problems I have with internal view in Pulse are reversed... but maybe I'm just being an idiot!:D

MrSmadSmartAlex
28th March 2010, 12:28 PM
I've switched to far external view for a while. It's amazing for lines, a little harder to judge when to barrel roll, and total unplayable :turd as soon as you're on a magstrip! :lol
I wonder why they programmed the camera to go so low that you can't see where you're going...:?
I don't think I'll stick with it for long, because of this problem.

SaturnReturn
28th March 2010, 12:52 PM
Is it a problem all the time on the magstrip or just when pitching the nose down? I noticed this on leungbok's videos but never had it that bad myself, but I never nose down.

MrSmadSmartAlex
28th March 2010, 01:03 PM
No, it's all the time on magstrips. Pitching the nose down on a magstrip does nothing but mess up your handling (no speed increase), so I always release it until I'm back on the normal track surface. ;)

edit: it doesn't do it on close external view at all btw.

SaturnReturn
28th March 2010, 02:02 PM
Ah, ok. I use close external, so guess that's why I don't really notice it.

Albino Ace
28th March 2010, 02:12 PM
I always used close external myself. Far external feels too far for me, and also has the mag-strip issue. And internal view makes me naucous (spelling?) when I barrel roll. It also feels weird with the whole screen tilting when I turn; I can't handle that. :lol

Mr Phlanj
28th March 2010, 03:11 PM
wait do u pitch down all the time MrS??

MrSmadSmartAlex
28th March 2010, 03:18 PM
Sure, unless I'm on a magstrip, or want to be in neutral pitch or pitch up for a BR. ;)

Asymeel
28th March 2010, 05:47 PM
I'm happy to see that this 2 years old post is still on top! :cake

I still play internal view. I tried sometimes external, but I definitely cannot change anymore.

My conclusion is: use the view you have the best feeling with.
If you like to watch your ship with the energy flow behind use external.
If you prefer speed sensations, use internal!