PDA

View Full Version : The crashing is driving me nuts

Dogg Thang
15th February 2008, 04:35 PM
I think I'm almost ready to call it a day for Pulse. The last two days, I have been plagued with crashing. Usually follows the pattern of going to the loading screen for no apparent reason then either freezing and switching off or, interestingly, throwing me to a random incomplete menu (like the team select screen with no craft, or a race grid with no races) and then switching off.

I have spent much more time waiting for the game to reload or load (now that the loading times have gone up dramatically with the packs) than actually playing the game. It's fairly infuriating.

I'd check to see if there's a quality assurance person listed in the credits but it has just crashed on me.

wich
15th February 2008, 04:45 PM
I noticed that with the download packs, whenever I come back from sleep (even if I was just in the main menu) a loading screen appears for a few seconds, and then I get back to the menu. I never noticed this before I had the Mirage and Icaras packs. Could this perhaps be related?

Dogg Thang
15th February 2008, 04:48 PM
Yeah, I'd say it's related. My loading times shot through the roof with the addition of the Mirage pack, with some new loading sections added where there were none before. And now that I've added the Icaras pack, my game is just crash after crash.

wich
15th February 2008, 04:55 PM
Well, luckily I don't experience the crashes, but yeah, itseems the loading times have gone up a bit, but especially the loading screen appearing for a few secs at seemingly random points in the menu is quite annoying.

Frances_Penfold
15th February 2008, 05:44 PM
Have you guys tried turning ALL the music off (both switching "off" each music tracks as well as putting music level at 0%)?

I know that with the Pulse and Pure, turning the music all the way off pretty much COMPLETELY removed all the bugs that I had been experiencing-- including the sleep bugs (Pure) and random crashing when resetting a race (Pulse).

Otherwise-- yeah, that sucks-- not especially motivating to get the DLC if it degrades the experience of the core game.

Hopefully this is something firmware-related that can be fixed in the future? For example, if the reading of the memory stick is not right, perhaps this leads to the problems with the DLC...

lunar
15th February 2008, 05:46 PM
I`ve had terrible memory stick issues with Pulse, freezes, corrupted ghost saves and so on. Getting rid of custom skins seemed to help a bit, but the problem is more than that. I can`t save ghosts on Vertica or Outpost 7 no matter what I do. I guess you`ve tried getting rid of custom soundtracks and ghosts, and running on a freshly formatted memory stick? You can copy the download packs off and onto the same PSP freely to back up, they`ll still work. I can now use custom skins without the game crashing, but keep getting random save bugs. It could be your memory stick, there are several models that apparently haven`t worked at all well since firmware 3.7+, I think. Hope you can make it work.

Dogg Thang
15th February 2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks for the sound tip, Frances. I'll give that a go.

I haven't got custom soundtracks or ghosts running but have been using custom skins.

While it's possible the memory stick might have something to do with it, Lunar, I play other PSP games fairly regularly and the only other game I've ever had similar (or indeed any) problems with is actually Pure. Yikes.

Intera
15th February 2008, 06:02 PM
I agree, the crashing is pretty bad.

Unless I reset my router everytime I go online it crashes, and it also does it quite frequently after it's said "Loading 9,8,7" etc

wich
15th February 2008, 06:11 PM
For the record, I haven't seen any crashes myself, only the weird loading screens. I don't have any custom skins, have a couple of ghosts, but have ghosts disabled and usually run with music at 0%, though I have custom soundtracks on my Stick.

Another thing which just now came up though:

I was playing the Icaras grid, I put the PSP to sleep on the grid, and when I turned it back on all the events say "NONE" instead of stuff like "SINGLE RACE", "TIME TRIAL", "ZONE", etc. very weird.

stin
15th February 2008, 09:38 PM
Well, I`m still having problems with freezing but I now always constantly saves nearly ten to fifteen minutes.

The main point is, I`m still think it`s my psp is having problems with it.

So possibly FW? I`m on 3.71 atm

stevie:)

tapioca
15th February 2008, 10:49 PM
I finally found a way to get the download packs (i'm on a mac and had to install a friend's Windows on it just for the month… thank you Sony, your PSstore is really user-friendly) and after half an hour of gameplay i already got my first bug with the Mirage ship on Vostok Reef :

Right from the starting grid, no controls were responding except the directionnal buttons and the nub. No airbrakes, no accelerator nor weapon etc, no start /select/home. After a few seconds trying to move my ship, the screen got a bit darker as if it was going into sleep. The only thing i could do was put the console into sleep mode. And when i set the power on again, the controls were back…

Animagic
16th February 2008, 02:24 AM
wow, sounds like the download packs are bad news...

or maybe it's everyones firmware, what is everyone running?

Dogg Thang
16th February 2008, 08:34 AM
I'm on 3.8 at the moment.

tapioca
16th February 2008, 12:50 PM
I'm experiencing new bugs since i installed the 2 first packs yesterday. I tried to get online 2 times only and got 2 issues in less than 5 minutes !!

First time i was entering a game and all got frozen on the ship selection screen. I think the game was trying to display my last used ship (Mirage or Icaras for sure) but as it is forbidden online, that ended up with a crash… All i could see was the Assegai ship with a team name display bug, like 2 fonts on each other. >>> First reboot.

Second time I was in a 7 races tournament with Kandang and another racer, and got through a strange bug after the 2nd race on Outpost 7 : endless replay (fullscreen with no menus) of my AG-Sys with a weird slowdown effect and just ambient noises. My ship could even hit Kandang's one that was still on the track, frozen before the last chicane. Couldn't get to the 3rd race after the countdown !!! No button worked except Home >>> Second reboot.

I downloaded the new packs yesterday and the game is like filled with bugs…

I'm on 3.71 firmware

Task
16th February 2008, 02:14 PM
I'd check to see if there's a quality assurance person listed in the credits but it has just crashed on me.Man, that's awful news, but I can't help laughing with the way you put it!
I can just see you fighting with it, getting to the credits screen, waiting for it to scroll, you can just see Quality Assurance starting to scroll up, you'll be able to read the name in just a moment... *poof*, lights out and screen black! Hard crash!

If we're lucky, it's a FW issue, just like the 3.11 or whatever it was that messed up Pure, and a yet-to-be-released FW will fix it.

Well, I hope it works out one way or another.

Dogg Thang
16th February 2008, 07:58 PM
As it turns out, there was a whole big title 'SCEE FIRST PARTY QUALITY ASSURANCE', with a huge team of people not fixing the bugs.

Found a new one today - the Alternate ship skins on the download packs disappear from selection for some reason.

Razgriz375
17th February 2008, 03:53 PM
Hi, I have had the similar problems which often lead to me losing my saved data (which is annoying when youve just got half amount of loyalty points for a ship). Im using a 4GB which seems to have problems even when not in the game. But since ive updated to 3.90 i havent had any problems so far with saving in Pulse. (the saving of photos takes few seconds but thats probaly because its trying to find an available name as i have 350 screenshots!) I have had one problem since which was trying to overwrite a ghost, even though it stated a save fail, it still saved...weird? I havent tried removing the songs from the playlist infact i have 22 extra songs so....Its best to keep a backup of your data before it gets corrupted.

Have any of you had data corrupted when using Pulse?

BARTgai
17th February 2008, 11:11 PM
The current versions have problems correctly reading a 4GB card. I think it said somewhere in the process of updating. That could be why you're having those other issues.

bloseth
19th February 2008, 07:14 PM
Lately I've tried to refrain from using the sleep mode while playing Pulse (booting the game doesn't take that long time), and have had _no crashes_ since then! I think the sleep mode has some sort of influence on the crashing.
:robot

BARTgai
20th February 2008, 12:27 AM
yeah same here, i just shut the whole system down when i'm done and let it boot up again when the system restarts. that way, it's more like a normal console in that it has to start up every time you want to play a game. :)

Frances_Penfold
20th February 2008, 01:50 AM
Lately I've tried to refrain from using the sleep mode while playing Pulse (booting the game doesn't take that long time), and have had _no crashes_ since then! I think the sleep mode has some sort of influence on the crashing.
:robot

It's definitely true-- but my experience is that if you shut down the music in Pure, and now in Pulse, you can use sleep mode with zero problems :)

bloseth
20th February 2008, 06:27 AM
I actually managed to provoce a crash yesterday even though I had started with a 'fresh' boot. Going to the statistics and flipping _quickly_ through the screens seems to do the trick.

Dogg Thang
20th February 2008, 07:13 AM
Yeah, I've tried a few things so far. At the mention of a 4GB card (which I was using), I transferred everything to a 1GB card. So far, no noticable difference. I've had a few crashes with it already.

I also turned off all the music. Now this may have made a difference. I'm still getting crashes but I don't think as many. It's hard to tell exactly how much difference it's making and could be just random chance but I think I noticed an improvement.

Going in and out of sleep mode definitely seems to dramatically increase the chances of a crash but, like Bloseth, I've had them with a fresh boot too. One, I didn't even get to the game menu itself - it added a new loading screen (as it seems to be doing), that stopped for a while and then it switched off.

But, you know, thing is I don't want to do all this.

The game should not crash, plain and simple.

bloseth
20th February 2008, 09:11 AM
The game should not crash, plain and simple.
That, i second. One of the things that made me migrate from playing the PC to consoles, was the feeling that things were more complete and working on consoles. Being able to patch releases is becoming a pillow for developers, and I don't like that. DLC is ok, but patching is not. When developers even got _one_ platform to develop for (not the myriad of possible hardware configurations on PCs) it is _intolerable_ that serious bugs gets through the screening.

But... I can't stop playing Pulse. I love it.

P52Smith
20th February 2008, 09:30 AM
I got so fed up with the crashing I turned "UMD Auto-start" back to "on". I turned it off as soon as I was originally able to because I didn't like it, that's how desperate I am!

btw: 3.90, 1GB stick, >750 pics, too many crashes!!!!!

Dogg Thang
23rd February 2008, 01:12 PM
Well, a week after posting this thread, I've hit a point where I've had enough. Goodbye Pulse. May your quality control army develop itchy crotches and bad breath.

At least Apollo Justice will arrive for me on Monday. Until then, well, it's a sad day when I'll play Mario and Sonic at the Olympics over a WO game but that's what I'm doing. I won't be investing in WO HD anyway as I imagine it will likely be an experiment in microtransactions but I couldn't put myself through the frustration anyway. Hopefully somewhere down the line, quality control in SL will get the attention it deserves.

Until then, it's back to the long jump.

Frances_Penfold
23rd February 2008, 01:36 PM
Sorry to hear that, Dogg :(

Is there any chance that the problem you have been having are caused (or augmented) by the memory stick(s) that you are using?

I gather that there have been quite a few problems with current and recent Sony PSP firmwares when matched with particular memory sticks, especially large (>1 gig) memory sticks.

Since the problems you are having (game save corruption, DLC implementation) heavily involve the memory stick, I just wonder if that is part of the problem...

Dogg Thang
23rd February 2008, 01:47 PM
It's certainly possible. I've tried 2 stick, one at 4g and the other is 1g. Both crashed. I've tried loads of things including going back to my old fat PSP and it's hard to say what contributes and what doesn't but at this point all I know for sure is that it crashes and I'm done.

stin
23rd February 2008, 02:27 PM
I still get alot of crashes, but, it`s more than normal crashes since I dowloaded the packs.

The point is, I`m still playing Pulse more than ever!!.

stevie:|

Rapier Racer
23rd February 2008, 03:50 PM
Since the problems you are having (game save corruption, DLC implementation) heavily involve the memory stick, I just wonder if that is part of the problem...

Doubt it Pure did the some of the same, and I had 3 different memory sticks to play it with a Sony and 2 Sandisks its crashing was less than Pulse though.

Maybe its the system software, with the exception of one strange dark period I found that Pure got more stable with time, its not crashed on me for an utter age now.

As for Pulse I don't have all the download packs, crashing isn't too frequent just the stats page one thats been pointed out and it also loves to crash after I take a photo, don't play it much online anymore though so that eliminated a load of potential bug frustration right there. Pure will keep me going till HD arrives.

Speaking of which any bugs that might appear in that game won't be a problem right! Cos plenty other devs patch their PS3 games so theres no reason SL couldn't.

(I'm guessing there are technicalities which prevent PSP games being patched?)

lunar
24th February 2008, 09:53 AM
Yeah, I've tried a few things so far. At the mention of a 4GB card (which I was using), I transferred everything to a 1GB card. So far, no noticable difference.

I may be clutching at straws, but I followed the same path to try and fix my Pulse issues, which admittedly were not as bad as yours. I tried every possible fix with 4gb and 1gb Sandisk "gaming" cards.

Finally I got my 2gb "Sony" high speed out of the digital camera (it`s cheap ebay so possibly a fake), formatted it with the PC in FAT, instead of using PSP format, and gave that a go. At first I had similar problems, but now a lot of it has cleared up, I can use custom skins without problems, and I have absolutely no issues saving ghosts. There are still some familiar crashes, but a lot of things have improved and it may well be the the card giving the improvement, assuming it`s not some random temporary "improvement", that is. But it has been better for a while now. So it could be worth a go if you can beg borrow or steal a "Sony" card, unless that`s what you already have of course. I hate to see a Wipeout fan having to give up, and wouldn`t deny what you say that, memory sticks apart, there are some major QA issues with Pulse.

Lance
24th February 2008, 09:35 PM
Maybe it's the FAT filesystem that made the improvement instead of the card?

Medusa
25th February 2008, 02:56 PM
I don't know, I've never reformatted my Sony 4 GB stick using the PC and it is apparently already formatted as FAT32. At least that's what XP tells me.

P52Smith
11th March 2008, 08:51 PM
I hate to say this but I've changed from WipEout Pulse to Patapon, I'm that desparate, I will change back if I get challenged but otherwise, patapatapatapon all the way to Earthend

Dogg Thang
11th March 2008, 09:54 PM
Due to the crashing?

I never went back to Pulse. I can't think it's likely I will. I'm tempted to pop the UMD into an envelope and send it to the SL quality assurance team in case it helps them figure out what's wrong with it. I did write a snotty mail to Sony customer services but haven't heard back.

Lance
12th March 2008, 03:49 AM
}grin{ Yep, snotty messages to customer service are well-known for eliciting quick and helpful responses. :)

Dogg Thang
12th March 2008, 06:56 AM
I don't think there is such thing as a 'helpful' response in this instance, Lance. Unless that response involves them doing a recall and actually taking the time to fix bugs before sending it out to the public, something I imagine would be a little unlikely.

Unhappy customers are not good customers and I would have thought writing diffusing responses would have been the job of a customer service department.

But then I thought getting a product out that wasn't riddled with bugs would have been the job of a quality assurance department so what do I know.

Tomahawk
12th March 2008, 09:09 AM
...I've changed from WipEout Pulse to Patapon...

I've done the same. If I've time to play at all, then it's Patapon right now. I didn't experience that many crashes with my WipEout Pulse, so I can't say I've switched games because of crashing. Patapon just feels way more fun to me. Once I've finished this game, I'll see if I'll pick up Pulse again or not...

borell
12th March 2008, 01:35 PM
Yep, I have switched to Patapon as well. I have not had much problems with crashes in Pulse, but it is not entertaining enough... Except for multiplayer, I do not see many reasons to play Pulse instead of Pure.

The crashes I get most often in Pulse is if I press x early on during the presentation of a track.

stin
12th March 2008, 02:01 PM
The crashes I get most often in Pulse is if I press x early on during the presentation of a track.

Exactly!, that is what I have done and now, I hardly any crashing for a while now.

Now I`m still having problems of Wipeout.com. I successfully logged in, press upload profiles then upload profile and went frozed! Other that, everything is fine apart from upload profile.

phl0w
12th March 2008, 03:02 PM
I hate to see a Wipeout fan having to give up, and wouldn`t deny what you say that, memory sticks apart, there are some major QA issues with Pulse.
Problem is, though, that it's the casual gamer rather than the fan who's giving up on the game. There are so many logical errors involved in the whole "make it accessible to the masses", I'm really sick of it. All those problems, bugs et cetera have tipped the scales for me: Playing has become more of thinking about all the things that are wrong with a game than actually concentrating on playing it. Which, usually isn't something that's happening to a good game.

Patapon is a good choice ^^ I also dug out Ultimate G'n'G again. Awesome game, not only due to its horrendous difficulty.

lunar
12th March 2008, 03:25 PM
It`s a fair point, I`m probably too forgiving, though the shockingly low framerate at times makes me want to chuck the PSP out of the window. My Pulse crashes in the stats at the same place all the time, but is working better with a Sony memory stick, and I like the game enough that at the moment it just tips the balance in favour of continuing. :)

Lance
12th March 2008, 06:07 PM
Unhappy customers are not good customers and I would have thought writing diffusing responses would have been the job of a customer service department.

Even though that's the case, I can tell you from several years experience in being the service part of 'customer service' that the nastier a customer is, the less likely they are to get a mollifying response. That isn't just me, but is also every other customer service person I've known. The customer service rep isn't the one who made the error that gets the customers mad, but iS the one who has to take the heat for something that isn't their fault. If only a customer could talk directly to the people who made the errors, eh? But the same happens there, because the people who made the mistakes weren't trying to screw up and weren't trying to do you damage, so it's better to be civilised toward them instead of letting anger do its counterproductive thing. We do have to let a company know they ****ed up, but antagonising individuals within the company probably isn't the way to do it.
Complaining accurately about their mistakes in a public place is probably the best way to get action. Get hold of a reporter on a slow news day, get them to do a piece on how the company is doing you and other customers wrong. If you can get widespread publicity about the problem, the offending company is way more likely to fix it, and maybe even try to make some compensation to the person who put them in the critical spotlight.

Dogg Thang
12th March 2008, 07:13 PM
The customer service rep isn't the one who made the error that gets the customers mad, but iS the one who has to take the heat for something that isn't their fault.

Very true. That's the job. I can't imagine anyone who goes into customer service would be all that surprised by that.

Lance
12th March 2008, 10:09 PM
They're surprised by the intensity of the heat, the lack of emotional control in adults. :) It used to surprise me, anyway, till I'd experienced it enough to realise how common it was.

Asayyeah
13th March 2008, 01:47 AM
It's late here and i am really too nervously tired after spending more than 4 hours raging on solving my profile update issue into the ranking site. i still got those crashes ( black screen go to psp menu) everytime i am trying to upload my profile due to the DL packs...
I uninstalled them by formatting MS , same with the PSP downloader ( installed it again) , tested with no packs to see if i can upload my profile/records , and yes i can :O
Dl all the packs , tested them : playable no problem but ALWAYS that sudden crash ...
I thought ok , you may not DL them on the row , just pick the 1st one (Mirage) , test it into the game , and try to upload your profile... that's what i did but again CRASH
:turd

HELP & any suggestions will be much appreciated

Vincent_VII
13th March 2008, 02:34 AM
****Disclaimer. This is not a post about custom firmware.****

I thought I would step in here and offer my two cents.

In 3.80 Sony changed the memory stick driver. The new driver in 3.80 and higher is slower. It causes problems with ALL content streamed from the stick. This includes MP3s, video clips and even PSN content that has been downloaded. Many running higher than 3.7x experience issues when playing downloaded content. This means using downloaded tracks, skins, ships and even streaming MP3s while playing Pulse could cause it to run very unstable.

I would assume that Killzone online and the Syphon Filter online add ons suffer the same instability. Some users have reported serious problems running PS1 games bought from the PSN store after updating to 3.80/3.90.

Not everyone runs into these problems (or possibly they just don't notice). Users with the older, fat PSPs seem to experience fewer issues with 3.80 or higher. I hope this sheds some light on some of the issues that people are having. Sadly, the issue was not resolved in 3.90. The same drivers remain and so does the instability.

Frances_Penfold
13th March 2008, 04:52 AM
If this is indeed the source of the problem, it is soundling like the firmware-related problems folks were having with Wipeout Pure back a year or 18 months :frown:

So is EVERYBODY with DLC experiencing these kinds of problems? Maybe it's not so bad that it hasn't been released in North America after all...

Vincent_VII
13th March 2008, 04:56 AM
I think just about everyone is. I honestly believe those who aren't having issues with 3.80/3.90 just haven't noticed it yet.

Anyone out there with 3.7x who can confirm fewer DLC issues? I'm 'merican and have no way to test.

I just know that my PSP slim with 3.90 gets VERY unhappy when I try to race with streaming MP3s. I finally got sick of it and deleted the Wipeout MP3 folder all together.

stin
13th March 2008, 08:10 AM
Anyone out there with 3.7x who can confirm fewer DLC issues? I'm 'merican and have no way to test.

I`m on 3.73 atm.

Funnily enough, I has not tested the latest yet so I don`t know. But yes, there is alot less crashes on my slim psp than before.

Personally, I also have 2 fat ones (one is broken and hopefully other old broken psp comes and I will try to fix it), the other which I`m not touching it, because, it`s my son who uses it.

lunar
13th March 2008, 09:27 AM
Asa, I have a mixed-results story. Wipeout-game.com used to crash my PSP on 3.71, but going to 3.8 certainly improved all online connections. So that could help.

But 3.8 also had bad effects on my Sandisk memory stick, with music and skins crashing the PSP, like Vincent said. However, then changing to a Sony 2gb memory stick solved almost all of these problems. I now have no problem uploading profile, very few crashes and I`m on 3.90 firmware, Slim PSP, and have all the packs.

Asayyeah
13th March 2008, 07:55 PM
Thx everyone for all your infos.
I had 3.80 FW , i DLed 3.90 today following your advices but nothing has changed, i got the crash at the real last step of uploading profile process.
I have an original Sony 2gb MS
I don't have any other similar crashes while playing off or online...only when i want to upload.

Don't expect me to upload if i can't find the solution ( if there's one...)

The Gracer
13th March 2008, 09:27 PM
Ive never had a crash in my whole Pulse career. Not once. Having said that, i have no DLC, one custom skin (for my Assegai) and i dont have any mp3s as my card is only 128MB (i use my 1gb card for music, video, downloadable demos and the like).

Im running FW 3.90, have been since before i started playing.

A lot can be said for using a clean card with only wipeout stuff on it, especially when the said card is very small - back all your files up, go and buy an 'el cheapo' card with the smallest capacity you can settle with, format it in your PSP and put all your Pulse data onto it.

Not saying it will definitely help you out, but its worth a shot.

On the other hand, you shouldnt have to go to those extremes to make the system work like it should - this isnt a problem with the game but with the system you are playing it on!

Im using a white fatty, by the way.

Dogg Thang
13th March 2008, 09:47 PM
this isnt a problem with the game but with the system you are playing it on!

I disagree. Even if the system does affect it, it is a problem with the game. After all, I haven't had problems with any other PSP game except for Pure, and I've played and own a lot of them. And I tried Pulse on several memory sticks, different firmware and two PSPs, one slim and one fat. You're lucky not to have any problems that you've noticed. Wish I could say the same.

Frances_Penfold
13th March 2008, 11:11 PM
For what it's worth, I am in a similar situation as Gracer, though I HAVE seen a handful of game crashes in my >150 hours playing Pulse.

Like Gracer, I have a bare-bones set up: no DLC, no mp3 folder, smallish memory card with NOTHING on it except for Wipeout Pulse ghosts and a single Wipeout Pulse save file, music turned off at the menu, with each song manually switched off in options.

NOT that it should be necessary to have such a streamlined system to play Wipeout! But it may be worth checking out for those of you experiencing the crashes :)

lunar
15th March 2008, 08:40 PM
I now have no problem uploading profile, very few crashes and I`m on 3.90 firmware, Slim PSP, and have all the packs.

Well, Mr Smug (see above quote) finds reality comes back to bite him on the arse. :mr-t I now have exactly the same problem as you, Asa. I mean exactly. It`s kind of funny, in a :brickwall:bomb:rolleyes: kind of way.

It`s quite easily fixed by cutting and pasting the packs to my desktop, then pasting them back in the Game folder again to play after succesful upload. But something makes me suspect your problem isn`t caused at your end, Arnaud. ;)

Asayyeah
15th March 2008, 08:49 PM
I feel sorry for you Stephen :( , that is absolutely a weird situation, a new contamination :?: ( last night Stevie got more than 5 crashes on the row when he wanted to join us online ...)

Thx for the tip but when you are talking about the cut & paste , you mean to move the folder called UCES00465, right? not another one?

lunar
15th March 2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, UCES00465 is the one. :)

Lance
15th March 2008, 09:20 PM
I begin to think that I want to avoid EVer buying a console with an upgradable Operating System.

mdhay
16th March 2008, 07:09 AM
Thx everyone for all your infos.
I had 3.80 FW , i DLed 3.90 today following your advices but nothing has changed, i got the crash at the real last step of uploading profile process.
I have an original Sony 2gb MS
I don't have any other similar crashes while playing off or online...only when i want to upload.

Don't expect me to upload if i can't find the solution ( if there's one...)

Maybe your holding the psp in a way where you are sliding the switch, but you don't notice?

infoxicated
16th March 2008, 09:41 AM
^

//ultra face palm

mdhay
16th March 2008, 09:45 AM
What do you mean by "ultra face palm"?

Never mind, I know.

Asayyeah
17th March 2008, 12:05 AM
I don't understand it but from Rob that should be funny and 2nd degree :)

Thx Stephen for the tip ;)

MArtin : i mean real crash of the psp when pressing the X button when launching the final step of the upload into the site. Not switching off the on/off button on the side by mistake ( note i did that a lot with my 1st psp, now it's ok ;) )

P52Smith
18th March 2008, 07:20 PM
Will 3.93 be the solution?
Will Dogg get Pulse out again?
Will this thread be rendered useless?
I doudt it (but I hope it is)!

3.93 is released today (18th March)

Sausehuhn
18th March 2008, 07:34 PM
I bet it won't! :)

Vincent_VII
18th March 2008, 07:52 PM
Not unless Sony changed the memory stick drivers.

NeXaR_QroN
18th March 2008, 09:29 PM
They haven't.

Dogg Thang
18th March 2008, 09:44 PM
I would love to feel I could load up Pulse again without frustration taking over. Who knows, maybe this will help.

Got an email from customer services suggesting it may be that my psp is dying as they haven't heard about anyone having any problems at all with Pulse. They asked for more details and said they had passed my previous mail to the relevant QA dept. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Cooking Mama 2 while waiting for psp God of War to come out here.

Medusa
18th March 2008, 11:59 PM
Cooking Mama 2! LOL! Didn't even know there was a 1...

Sounds like customer service really has no idea what's going on at all. I find that to generally be the case with all customer service I deal with, unless it's for banking. I guess only the banks can afford to train people properly for all the questions that will be fired at them.

Dogg Thang
19th March 2008, 07:58 AM
Yes, it does sound like they don't know what's going on but I appreciate that they're asking for more info.

As for Cooking Mama 2, you should totally check it out. It's genius. I made sushi rolls yesterday.

Mad-Ice
19th March 2008, 10:03 AM
Hi Dogg,

I have been reading here about all the problems you are having with Pulse. It really is ashame! At least they are taking you serious and I hope the problems will be solved in the end.

I am sorry to say that I have had no problem with Pulse crashing on me, my specifications are: PSP fat two years old, OFW 3.90, OF MS 1GB.

But the problems I have with my PSP is that, it is only playing Wipeout UMD's. Seriously, I played Pure so much that finally I wanted to play some of my older games like: locoroco, Tiger woods, Tekken, but none of them were working, also all the other games from my friends were not working anymore on my PSP. So I was really worried about when I bought Pulse. My PSP thought like Oooh it is another Wipeout game so it is okay!! So I have a PSP that is only willing to work with Wipeout! So really there is not such a big problem here for me!

Dogg Thang
19th March 2008, 10:06 AM
That's absolutely bizarre, Mad-Ice! Well, if you're a WO fan, then that probably suits! Although Tekken on the PSP is way better than it had any right to be so I'd feel you could be missing out there. But if you've got a setup that works with WO, stick with it.

Mad-Ice
19th March 2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah indeed, it is bizarre! Luckely I am a big WO fan. But yeah I am missing out on Tekken, but the game supports gamesharing so whenever I got friends over with PSP's, then I just give them the UMD, so we can play anyway.

You know what I did find out yesterday was: When I had problems online, I was kicked out the lobby a lot. When I stopped using my own shipskins I could connect again. Maybe try to delete all your skins, maybe that helps a little? I really hope something will work for you, you can not be making sushi rolls for the rest of your life, no can you!?

Dogg Thang
19th March 2008, 10:30 AM
I like making sushi rolls!

Mad-Ice
19th March 2008, 10:34 AM
Lol, Sushi for life!!! The powerfood for a real Japanese AG-Pilot!

Dogg Thang
16th April 2008, 08:46 PM
I got another email from Sony customer service. Apparently, they sent my list of problems to the QA department who couldn't replicate any of them. Odd as many on my list are common things seen here. They recommended I take the UMD back to the store and have it replaced to see if a new one is problem-free. Somehow I can't imagine it will be but I can give it a go I guess.

infoxicated
17th April 2008, 08:42 AM
As far as I'm aware, there was only the one version passed to submissions for Europe and if there's a DLC version it'll be based on that version, too.

The US version has a few bug fixes, so you'd maybe be better off selling the Euro one and getting a North American copy of the game. It's not like it's completely free of the bugs, but there should be fewer front end crashes because the buffer for it was increased, and that record issue was fixed.

Mad-Ice
17th April 2008, 01:11 PM
It is good to hear Sony is giving you replies. I would go for the US version too! Good luck.

Chrono
17th April 2008, 08:57 PM
For me, Pulse started crashing more after the packs. It's here and there, nothing that really discourages my play.

I find when you sleep the game, it's more likely to crash. If you are gonna sleep it, do it on the main menu. It tends to crash less when you do that.

The bug that bothers me the most is what I like to call the "Numbers Bug." It happens, more often, online. It's when my numbers, on my hud, just don't show. A reboot of the game generally fixs it, and I usually continue a few races with it (damnit, I forgot to reboot moments), so it's playable. It's just annoying.

I play off the mem card, using CFW 3.71 M33-2 (woulda sworn it was a higher version, weird). It's an NTSC-U PSP 1001, think it's 3rd gen, as I believe it came with 1.50, originally.

Maybe this will answer some of you're crash woes Dogg

infoxicated
18th April 2008, 01:16 PM
It might well be playable, but it's totally unacceptable.

It should never have made it onto the shelves with the amount of bugs it has, and the fact some of the more glaring ones are fixed for the US version is an admission that the European version is flawed. Broken. Worthy of replacement, I'd say.

I simply wont accept this kind of dirge in any other game that I play, so I certainly wont accept it with WipEout. Pulse can sit in its disco box where it belongs while I play titles that have been finished to a higher standard.

I mean, can you imagine either Gran Turismo or Metal Gear Solid going out the door with **** like this in it?

No, you couldn't, because the reputation of each franchise is held in enough regard that Sony allow the developers of each to polish them to a high degree and only release it when they are satisfied with it.

If WipEout isn't held to the same standard by Sony then perhaps it's time they quit on the franchise before they tarnish the reputation of it beyond repair.

JABBERJAW
18th April 2008, 04:49 PM
"Pulse can sit in its disco box" lol

P52Smith
19th April 2008, 09:25 AM
Going back to what I said earlier about 3.93,

Since updating I have found the crashing to be far more infrequent and less of a problem than before, why, I really don't know but it does and I'm sticking with it until the new version is avaliable

In fact, since returning to Pulse, I have played around 5 hours worth without a crash or fault, strange, perhaps, as you say, the problems are DLC related as I haven't got the DLC yet but am hoping to soon, if the DLC is the problem, I'll see then and report it here (assuming I ever get the DLC of course!)

3.95 is now out
So far, no crashes but I'm not hopeful it will stay that way.