PDA

View Full Version : Wipeout Pulse Released Today in the U.S.... NOT!

Kansas
13th February 2008, 02:50 AM
So, the official release date for Wipeout Pulse in the U.S. was Feb. 12, 2007. So, the game should be on shelves, right? Nope. Couldn't find it anywhere. All the stores said it wouldn't be available until tomorrow. While waiting one more day doesn't really bother me, the faux release date really gets under my skin.

TheFrostE
13th February 2008, 03:03 AM
agreed as you probably saw in my post, oh well, ill cya on the track tommorow my man :) the names FrostE

Kansas
13th February 2008, 03:21 AM
I'm either going by Kansas or Soul Reaver :)

Vincent_VII
13th February 2008, 03:26 AM
I'm not surprised. It usually takes a day for shops to get it in stock. The release date is usually the "shipped" date.

Animagic
13th February 2008, 04:18 AM
yeah, it's just a little bit more waiting.
...see you online tomorrow... I'll try to snag the handle "vagabond" if it isn't already taken.

Dogg Thang
13th February 2008, 06:04 AM
Yeah the difference in dates has always struck me as odd. Over here, a release date is the release date - the day you can walk into a shop and buy it. In the US, it's the day they send it out to shops. So, depending on your local shop, it could be 1-3 days after the shipping date.

ayeonich
13th February 2008, 06:27 AM
It would be nice if they would change that. You couldn't imagine the amount of disgruntled customers that you have to deal with because of that discrepency working at a game store.

BravePotato7
13th February 2008, 07:40 AM
Its the release date, it'll take time to actuall get it shipped, like the next day. I think only really major and hyped titles get shipped early so they make a huge buck on 'release' day. This way I'm sure cuts down on leaks, pirate copies and so on. Regardless, I looked today too and was bummed.

DjManiac21
13th February 2008, 08:22 AM
It's gonna get really interesting with all of you guys playing online! :)
I'll probably go online when I get back from work then, it sounds like there's gonna be a lot of pilots online as from now on ;)

Have a good one!

Ash-Omen
13th February 2008, 11:40 AM
i hope so theres never anyone online!!! well apart from venom all the damn time ¬_¬ wat time are all u leets online i never see u anymore:|

infoxicated
13th February 2008, 01:25 PM
Release dates always do my head in.

In Europe games are released on a Wednesday, but for whatever reason it tends to be a Friday in Britian. Occasionally you can score a copy earlier than Friday by simply asking Johnny No-Clue behind the counter and he'll give you a copy if they have it in stock.

I got my PSP Camera a day early due to this - GAME had it in stock and they couldn't think of a good reason not to give it to me. :)

Chrono
13th February 2008, 02:41 PM
I work at a video game retail store in the states for just over a year. Releases are odd, but easy to understand. If a game has a release date of Tuesday, you probably wont get it until early Wed. Some places get it on Tuesday, like New York and LA, but most people don't. With BIG titles, like halo, GTA, Madden (sports game in the states), Final Fantasy, and Metal gear Solid, they usually are in stock mid day Tuesday, at the latest. Often these titles are given a midnight release, which is cool.
But that's how it works, they always say tuesday, and more often then not, it's gonna be Wed. This is all based on the states, it could be completely different in Europe.

infoxicated
13th February 2008, 02:48 PM
I never really minded that it was on a Friday here in Britain - I think for Madden 2004 I actually took the Friday off work and went to the game store first thing in the morning to pick it up, then spent the whole weekend hooked on it. Haven't done that in few years now, but Friday just seems like the logical day for me - kicks off the weekend nicely. :D

TheFrostE
13th February 2008, 06:24 PM
well i'm sitting here in the east coast of US (connecticut to be exact) and UPS stopped movement today due to bad weather! so now i cant get it until the 14th, very rarely am i so pumped for a game and wen i am pumped, i get screwed....grrrrrr

Chrono
13th February 2008, 06:27 PM
You could be a real nerd and drive to New York to get it. That's what I would do.

Vincent_VII
13th February 2008, 06:37 PM
Sorry to hear about that. :(

I am trying not to think about it because I don't have any money anyway. :turd:turd

infoxicated
13th February 2008, 07:21 PM
chocofrosty, your thread has been merged with this one - there was absolutely no reason to start another one on the same subject.

TheFrostE
13th February 2008, 11:01 PM
alright, sorry admin, well in any case, i just picked it up, they got the shipment really late, and only one game in, i got it :)

defor
13th February 2008, 11:03 PM
Got my US copy today.... and surprise suprise...
my PAL savegame loads right up!
the title screen even has "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Presents", not America...

so far the only difference i've noticed offhand is that the us variant does nto seem to remember the last team used when you go choose a race... a little obnoxious- a bug?

otherwise, the games are so close to identical in release (including packaging) it's near impossible to tell.
(of course, the PAL UMD still looks better)

Kudos to everyone involved in the release.
Here's to hoping the downloadable packs are cross-compatible too!

Animagic
14th February 2008, 01:04 AM
Ok... got my game at 5pm today finally...
I have played NON-STOP since then

Ahhhhh it's sooooooo good...
stylistically it's probably my favorite wipeout since 3.
It's like the game that Fusion should have been.

I'll jump online in an hour or two
my handle is 'VagabondArts'
...see you guys online.

Frances_Penfold
14th February 2008, 01:59 AM
the title screen even has "Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Presents", not America...

so far the only difference i've noticed offhand is that the us variant does nto seem to remember the last team used when you go choose a race... a little obnoxious- a bug?

otherwise, the games are so close to identical in release (including packaging) it's near impossible to tell.
(of course, the PAL UMD still looks better)

Here's to hoping the downloadable packs are cross-compatible too!

Wow, that's remarkable! Thanks much for the info-- I'll be curious to hear more impressions from North American folks that had previously imported the PAL version of the game.

I think Foxy said that there is at least a small glitch fixed in the U.S. version, related to race records somehow?

RJ O'Connell
14th February 2008, 04:06 AM
I'm not sure if I should get the NTSC version.

The diehard series fanatic in me says "F*** yes!" but the penniless, unemployed, way too busy with school kid in me says "You're just fine with the Aussie version! Save your money for a PS3." Tough call.

Oh, and on an unrelated note, isn't it fantastic - another Wiper from the southern states! Welcome to the Zone Animagic! ^^

Animagic
14th February 2008, 05:14 AM
RJ- hey man, southeast USA has other wipeout fans?
awesome!!! :D

Nice to make your acquaintance!
Although I've been a member of the zone for a bit, I drifted away, sadly.
Pulse brought me back.

yeah man, get the NTSC version so you can access the extra content coming later...

Kansas
14th February 2008, 05:43 AM
I work at a video game retail store in the states for just over a year. Releases are odd, but easy to understand. If a game has a release date of Tuesday, you probably wont get it until early Wed. Some places get it on Tuesday, like New York and LA, but most people don't. With BIG titles, like halo, GTA, Madden (sports game in the states), Final Fantasy, and Metal gear Solid, they usually are in stock mid day Tuesday, at the latest. Often these titles are given a midnight release, which is cool.
But that's how it works, they always say tuesday, and more often then not, it's gonna be Wed. This is all based on the states, it could be completely different in Europe.

I live in Los Angeles and had to wait until today to pick mine up. In fact, the store that I went to (GameStop) didn't have it on the shelves yet :o However, the girl at the counter went to the back and brought out a box and gave me the first copy in the store. She even threw in a demo of Patapon :D

Oh yeah, the game is awesome. I love it.

Just wondering...is it possible to download my created skins so I could use them offline?

Also, I don't have wireless internet at home... Can I still connect via USB to the computer?

Dogg Thang
14th February 2008, 05:57 AM
Defor (or anyone else with the US version) - would you be able to do a couple of bug tests for us to see what has been fixed? For me, I'm most interested in the ambient sounds bug. If you're racing in a tournament, put your PSP into sleep mode and then go back into the game, do the crowd noises and other sounds disappear? The crowd sounds will be the most obvious.

The other thing I'd be curious about, again sleep-related, is if it remembers you're using a custom skin in a tournament aftercoming from sleep mode.

I guess the next big thing which only those with the Mirage pack will be able to test is - as the save works, does the pack work?

KANDANG
14th February 2008, 06:12 AM
quick question:

is the u.s version able to connect via ad-hoc with the eur version?
:P

lunar
14th February 2008, 08:24 AM
If the Euro store packs work with the US UMD then it`s a buy!

About the issue of not remembering your last ship used, this might be a bug-fix itself. On the day pack 1 was released I had a go with Mirage offline ,then went online. In the online ship select it automatically came up with ship 9/9 i.e. Mirage, but failed to load the ship and crashed my PSP. So maybe it fixes this problem.

defor
14th February 2008, 09:39 AM
If the Euro store packs work with the US UMD then it`s a buy!

About the issue of not remembering your last ship used, this might be a bug-fix itself. On the day pack 1 was released I had a go with Mirage offline ,then went online. In the online ship select it automatically came up with ship 9/9 i.e. Mirage, but failed to load the ship and crashed my PSP. So maybe it fixes this problem.

Interesting point- Prevent one bug by somewhat forcing another...

Dogg Thang- I'll test your bugs on my way to work.

Dogg Thang
14th February 2008, 10:03 AM
Thanks Defor! Really appreciate that.

guillaume
14th February 2008, 11:57 AM
Great!

*goes look at what Rob had said (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4608&p=80996) a few weeks ago*
*and now only understands what it meant, the important piece of information being 'borked times'...*
Rob, sorry for this (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4403&p=81313) post then, it was pretty useless :)

defor, could you test the tournament difficulty level bug as well?
(Begin a hard tournament that you've never completed, quit the game with the home button, then relaunch the game, it should ask if you want to finish the tournament. Finish it, then look at your medal. What difficulty level was the medal set in? EU version said 'medium')

NeXaR_QroN
14th February 2008, 03:04 PM
If you do the same thing but starting on medium, it ends on easy. On PAL version, at least.

BARTgai
15th February 2008, 01:20 AM
Defor (or anyone else with the US version) - would you be able to do a couple of bug tests for us to see what has been fixed?

yes, i would also like to know a list of bug fixes before i pick up a copy :)

EDIT: Got a US copy today. good to see the record but is fixed, but the crowd going quite after going into sleep mode is still there :(

Chill
20th February 2008, 11:02 PM
Barely just caught first glance of my copy of Wipeout Pulse about one minute ago!!!! YES!!!! :D

Kyang
20th February 2008, 11:11 PM
Around the East coast here, Pulse was available in the local Best Buy right around the day after the release date. There were only four copies, which all sold out right away...

I finally got my hands on Pulse earlier this week.

I still see some kind of missing shadow glitch on Moa Therma though. :( .

Chill
21st February 2008, 04:40 AM
Ok... I have to say... what the hay... The floating physics seem to be faiding away... it felt totally weird, and not nearly as fun as Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3, or even Pure... honestly... :(

xdirex
22nd February 2008, 12:00 AM
Has anyone established whether the US version contains any bugfixes or changes? Is it the definitive version to get?

Task
22nd February 2008, 02:45 AM
Yup. It's mentioned in a thread or two around here, and also on the front page:

At the cost of a waiting a couple of extra months those lucky folks can pick up a copy of the game with the race time profile glitch fixed
No DLC for it yet, but in some people's opinions that's irrelevant. 8 )

stin
25th February 2008, 11:03 AM
Well, got US version of Pulse delivered this morning from my golf friend who stays in USA.

Yes same cover on the front and it`s slightly different on the back and side and UMD has different pictures.

If you want pics?, I can do it for you if wish.

stevie:)