PDA

View Full Version : The Thruster Challenge - Year 2!!!! (advance warning)

Thruster2097
4th July 2002, 10:19 PM
From those of you who can remember as far back as last year, on the ezboard forums.... (remembering now???) The WipEout SW99 challenge?? well something similar is about to happen.
The whole idea is.... Every year that I am a member of WipEoutZone, I hold a free-for-all chalenge, with (usually) a nice quality prize as an incentive. The prize is not the whole point, though... its just a bit of fun at the end of the day, and it gives me a chance to get to know some of the newer members a bit better, too.
Last year, the challenge was to play a PC version of WipEout - which is still available for download from wipeoutzone- and send in the best time.
Some people entered, though not as many as I would have ideally wanted.. and nowhere near enough people to challenge our in-house champion of everything, zoolander, who walked off with the prize of a limited edition wipEout 1 "john dekka" shirt.
This year, I have two of the promotional "wipeout fusion" posters to celebrate 110 years of anti-gravity racing (and the launch of wipeout fusion, too) from subliminal.co.uk, and I might be able to chuck in a copy of wipeout fusion for the PS2, but unfortunatley I cannot giveaway a PS2 console to go with it.......

The only real problem is.... I cant think of a real good wipeout-based challenge for you guys this year!! Perhaps I am not trying hard enough..... whatever!!
Rest assured, there will soon be a challenge, and there will be a prize that is worth winning!

Watch this space, because Thruster2097 is about to celebrate his second birthday - and you could get the presents!!!
Stay tuned!

infoxicated
5th July 2002, 04:02 PM
And in annual support of the Thrusty challenge (like the whatever it was I sent out last year.... erm... wtf was it...? oh yeah - a Tigron T-Shirt!) there will be some very special WipeoutZone prizes to go along with whatever the hell he comes up with.

We are talking posters and copies of Wipeout Fusion signed by the development team here. Oh yes. An AG freak's wet dream!

Thrusty - you have the stage... (f*cked if I can think of a decent competition!... although we could do an accumulator style thing... with an online quiz too ;))

Thruster2097
5th July 2002, 05:58 PM
can I enter??? PLEASE???? :lol:

thanks for the help, rob... always appreciated! lets see if we can make this something to really remember!

Wamdue
5th July 2002, 11:41 PM
this sounds like a kick ass challenge! ;) youre the best thruster 2097! Always helped to feed my wipeout fusion hunger pre-release! Im still very thankful!

TYSON
16th July 2002, 12:33 PM
:D

Well sounds like a great idea thruster, i'm not sure about playing a wipeout on my pc though. (it's not good enough). And then if people use the playstation theres the problem with verifying times... hmm. I'm not sure... Anyone?

Lance
16th July 2002, 05:43 PM
Tyson, we go by the honour system here. you will find that the members of this association actually have honour, though you are justified in suspicion by the behaviour of members of certain.. [cof], other groups.

we don't use the pc version for competitions because there is no standardised hardware to assure an accurate comparison of times

Thruster2097
16th July 2002, 10:06 PM
well I did last time.... although it wasnt technically perfect!
This is definatley work in progress, but I assure you it will try to be fair!

Lance
17th July 2002, 02:07 AM
:D
oops, i've only been on the forums since last um... september, i missed that one. all the challenges i've seen were on console, and there was one i couldn't participate in because i only had the PC version of WO1. on your challenge last year, how did you balance times for PC?

Wiseman
17th July 2002, 10:45 AM
Actually, if I recall correctly, he chose/we used the Shockwave version of Wipeout, there is a link to it in the Links page at the main site.

JABBERJAW
17th July 2002, 09:37 PM
I wear that shirt out to clubs, I tell girls it's my 2200$ shirt. They say no way, and I reply, "not so much in price but in style" Then the conversation hits a snag.

Thruster2097
22nd July 2002, 10:30 PM
heck, glad it works for you, buddy!
I just got myself a tshirt which says "British mad ba***rd on Tour 2002 Benidorm.... and I got myself on the BBC Television!

I cant quite use it the same way - I am only in spain for a few more hours, but at least I can say that I am now a television personality AND the best thruster ever! :lol:

jmoid
2nd August 2002, 08:15 PM
count me in ya punks!!!! :)

Thruster2097
16th August 2002, 09:50 PM
okay bruv, you`re in! :lol:
yourself, and everybody else is going to be invited on this one (except infoxicated and I), its just a real shame that I cant enter!

The challenge is gaining some sort of shape now, and its looking curvier than pammie anderson (in a good way, that is :P )

There will be another update soon.....

(rob - got the email, working on it!!!! )

Vasudeva
17th August 2002, 11:12 AM
Hey Thruster... a few week backs you sent me an e-mail saying you'd soon send me another one. I'm still waiting for that mail :o.

Peace :wink: ,
V.

Thruster2097
16th October 2002, 07:01 AM
yeah, tell me about it! :oops:

if only I could live without sleep.....

(everything coming soon :cry: )

Wamdue
16th October 2002, 09:19 PM
is the challenge starting soon? im not rushing you, just curious :)

Hybrid Divide
29th October 2002, 11:40 PM
Hey Thruster,

Count me in.

Cheers,
Vagrant Logic OUT