PDA

View Full Version : Any North Americans obtain DLC for Pulse?

Frances_Penfold
9th February 2008, 12:24 AM
I am wondering if any of my fellow Americans or Canadians-- folks that imported the PAL version of Wipeout Pulse-- have been able to LEGALLY obtain the new downloadable content?

I would like to purchase the tracks in particular but am at a loss as to how to do it.

* My PSN account is based in the U.S.
* My credit cards have a U.S. address
* I'm a mac user

Am I ****-outa-luck here, or have any of y'all identified a legitimate work-around?

I suppose I can purchase the U.S. release of Wipeout Pulse next week (heh, my wife's gonna be thrilled about that, having convinced her in December that I "really needed" to import!) and then wait for the content to trickle over to the North American PS store-- but I'd rather not ;)

Vincent_VII
9th February 2008, 02:54 AM
I feel your pain. I am also a mac user and in North America. I'm not even going to attempt downloading the content.

Gee I wish Sony would just give us access to the PS Store with our PSPs.

Frances_Penfold
9th February 2008, 06:33 PM
Access to DLC (purchase-able content and free demos) via a PSP-store would be perfect for me, on many levels. Last I have read from Sony interviews, however, is that a PSP-version of the Playstation store is not a priority at the moment-- probably doesn't help that the PSP firmware is hacked to hell and back so there are serious DRM issues.

I checked last night-- it's not possible to view or purchase the extra Wipeout Pulse content on the Playstation store with a North American PSN account.

It may become possible over the next couple of weeks, as Wipeout Pulse sees it official roll-out in North America-- but it's not clear if the DLC will be region specific.

I guess I will wait and see what happens next. I'd really like to be racing the new tracks, and to be able to play online with the European WOZ pilots without getting booted from matches because I don't have the extra tracks...

Medusa
9th February 2008, 08:25 PM
I can't even try until my new PC arrives sometime this year. *HISS, HISS* *BITTERNESS* *JEALOUSY* *ENVY*

When it does, I'm going to attempt creating a European PSN account, and if that works, I'll go from there. I have a few cards I can try buying with once I get going. There's just no point in me buying from PSN Store right now as the installer doesn't work with my PC.

*HISS, HISS* My fangs are showing. I'd better go.

Frances_Penfold
9th February 2008, 11:38 PM
Here's another angle-- using the PS3 as the means to purchase DLC for Pulse.

My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that the Playstation stores you access from PC vs. PS3 have different content. Also, it is possible to have multiple accounts (even in different regions) on a single PS3.

Anybody with a PS3 (either in North America or PAL-lands) determine whether Pulse DLC can be accessed from your machine?

rejj
9th February 2008, 11:48 PM
Just asking - I have no idea if this is possible or allowed:

Is it possible to get someone with an account from europe/australia/nz to purchase the pack for you and then send you the file?
Or are they signed to your account somehow?

Asayyeah
10th February 2008, 01:55 PM
It's not possible Rejj : when you start downloading the file through psn, something is written into the flash memory of your psp, so it's simply not possible to transfer it like you describe, cause your psp won't work with that file

the_Admiral
11th February 2008, 11:38 AM
Here's another angle-- using the PS3 as the means to purchase DLC for Pulse.

My understanding (which may be wrong!) is that the Playstation stores you access from PC vs. PS3 have different content. Also, it is possible to have multiple accounts (even in different regions) on a single PS3.

Anybody with a PS3 (either in North America or PAL-lands) determine whether Pulse DLC can be accessed from your machine?

Excellent idea, which I tried last week on a PAL UK account. However the DLC is not on the PS3 store when I checked last. Not sure why it's only on the PC version of the store, when PSOne titles are capable to be delivered via the PS3.

Last time I bought some PS3 DLC it was Warhawk, which I bought on my Master PS3 account and not on the sub-account which I actually use online. However Sony won't let you run the game on multiple accounts even though its on the same physical machine. Be very wary of DLC which can screw over legitimate purchasers.

Medusa
14th February 2008, 03:13 PM
Here's an update. I got a new PC, PSN Downloader Installer Compatible:blarg.
I created a twin of myself who lives in Sheffield (shout out to Leftism!).
I activated my PSP only on this account.
I tried all my credit cards to add funds to this account (different Mastercards, and a Visa).

It doesn't work. To add a credit card you must enter the same billing address as the credit card company has, which would be fine, except the page does not let you select another country/region other than what is on your PSN account.

I just read that (defor I think it was?) bought the NA game and it loaded up his EU savegame just fine.
This makes me wonder, if I buy the download packs from the US store, maybe they will work with my EU UMD...or maybe not. But apparently I'm going to have to try it anyways.

Frances_Penfold
14th February 2008, 04:11 PM
Excellent work, Medusa! Thanks for trying this out!

I was REALLY surprised to learn that a PAL game save will load in the North American release-- hopefully there isn't some resulting game destroying glitch that hasn't been uncovered yet.

It would be ideal if we could buy U.S. DLC and then run it directly with a PAL version of Wipeout Pulse.

The next best thing would be if we could reliably transfer our PAL game save data to run on a North American version of Wipeout Pulse, and then purchase the DLC from a U.S. PSN account.

I don't really mind spending the $30 to buy the North American release-- but I don't really want to start the game over and assemble my TT/Speed Lap records from scratch.

Medusa
14th February 2008, 05:44 PM
[QUOTE]
I was REALLY surprised to learn that a PAL game save will load in the North American release...I don't really want to start the game over and assemble my TT/Speed Lap records from scratch.

Ditto. I'll buy the NA if I have to, but the amount I shelled out to import makes that rather cost-prohibitive for me.