PDA

View Full Version : Im rubbish how can i get better????

wacko853
7th February 2008, 03:39 PM
:brickwallhi i now have pure on the psp it is a fantastic game i just need to get better times. can anyone help me.

Tomahawk
7th February 2008, 04:33 PM
Well, you might have been told that before, but the magic word for getting better at any game is... *drumroll* practice ;)

Another thing that helped me quite a bit in learning how to play pure was when I finally got online with it on X-Link Kai. That's the real challenge and really helped me to beat my personal records over and over again.

wacko853
7th February 2008, 04:35 PM
there is just one problem i dont have the internet on the psp

Flashback Jack
7th February 2008, 04:54 PM
You don't particularly need it. At the same time, there's little you can glean from us aside from the recommended directive to practice. Like most fast-pace games, this one demands a certain degree of reflex conditioning and upkeep, which calls for many hours of repetition.

To become a capable player in the Wipeout Zone standard, expect to submit to at least one hundred hours of in-game time before you're familiar enough to crack the top five in the various record tables, depending. It also helps if you have a fair tolerance for repetition, because that's the only way you'll truly improve.

In the end, how well you fair is up to you. Some get bored quickly, some don't. Persistence is key though if you wish to be world-class. :)

- F

Task
8th February 2008, 12:45 AM
Jack has it correct. As does Tom.
You don't really need the online, but a great way to get your practice without it becoming stale is to find someone you can do some ad-hoc mulitplayer with.
Ain't nuthin gonna improve your skills like racing against friends. You can get easily trapped in the "one more!" loop and the whole day will just disappear...

wacko853
8th February 2008, 10:24 AM
i dont know any friends that have the game so i am a bit stuck:frown::frown::frown:

Flashback Jack
8th February 2008, 01:03 PM
You're only stuck because you want to be. Take your hand off the tiller and dive in, cold and naked (figuratively). It was said that you don't need to put your PSP online however much a great benefit it is to slug it out with your friends.

Don't defeat yourself.

- F

wacko853
8th February 2008, 02:33 PM
my brother also plays on it and i have faster times what i need is someone else

Flashback Jack
8th February 2008, 03:40 PM
If you say so.

Welcome to the party. You've got plenty of people here to race with. Also have a look at the Pure records that are linked off this website (http://www.wipeoutzone.com).

- F

wacko853
9th February 2008, 09:17 AM
thanks but i need to find someone to race back home

phl0w
9th February 2008, 09:54 AM
You don't need anyone to race with, you need to want to (like FJ said) sit down, choose free-play on Phantom on any track, preferably Vineta K or another one of the easier courses (Anulpha, Mandrashee, Sinucit, Porta Kora...) and play for like 100 laps, trying different techniques (like when to sideshift or airbrake, to airbrake before turning or to airbrake and simultaneously turn or to turn and then airbrake, all that has to be considered and results in different lines and speeds through turns) and lines, it's crucial to find the apex of every turn in order to carry the most speed through it- that should be your primary goal for now. I think what you're looking for is some kind of strategic guide for Pure, but unfortunately there's no such thing.

wacko853
9th February 2008, 03:36 PM
i see your point:|:|:|

Tomahawk
9th February 2008, 03:48 PM
i dont know any friends that have the game

I have exactly one friend here in nuernberg who owns wipeout pure and is a fan of the series like me. Sadly he lost his PSP and didn't buy a new one up to today, so I can't be playing against him right now. I can only advise you, like Frances already said, to try to beat some records from our records pages if you have no one to play against and if you have no possibility to take the game online. And as phlow already said: just keep on playing - you'll get better and better the more time you spend on a track.

Flashback Jack
9th February 2008, 04:23 PM
thanks but i need to find someone to race back home

It appears you have specific criteria in mind as to what it takes to succeed in the game. That's fine and all, however if you wish to improve at the fastest possible rate, drop your fetters and consider, to the letter, the information you ask for and are given.

G'luck.

- F

wacko853
10th February 2008, 09:54 AM
i have posted some times on the rankings i need some feedback on how i am doing:o:o:o

stin
10th February 2008, 10:11 AM
Nice time with Feiser on Sol2 track Rapier, I will need to work on that.

stevie:)

wacko853
10th February 2008, 11:12 AM
why thank you how good are you

phl0w
10th February 2008, 11:40 AM
You don't need advice you just want your times to get attention, it seems.:naughty

Asayyeah
10th February 2008, 01:49 PM
Wacko853 : could you please delete your nickname included into your real name into the record table : you don't need to do that , you can overmouse on a real name into the table and see what nickname is associated with.

Task
10th February 2008, 03:19 PM
Hi Oliver,
Having had a look at some of the times you've entered, I think one thing you can do to improve is to pick a ship. Your records here are all over the map, it looks like you've tried out every ship in the game. Good on ya!
Now that you have experience with every single craft, choose one to focus on. Most people choose either Triakis (because it's broken) or Zone (because it's slick). Certain tracks might require a different ship, and you'll definitely find that higher speed classes can require a more nimble ship. Either way, once you've picked a particular ship and used it for a while, then you'll see a big improvement. It hardly matters which ship you choose, so always go with the one that you perform best with, the one that suits you, the one that feels right.
For example, just yesterday I had some great races with Jack and Gajo. I flew my lovely Goteki all day, Jack wouldn't leave his AG Sys for cash money, and you'll pry Gajo's corpse out of a Feisar only with a serious crowbar!
Despite the massive differences in these ships and the amount of practice we get, there were several instances of us all being equally matched. We each had our turn at the head of the pack (admittedly, Gajo's turn was shortest, but he gets the least practice out of the bunch of us, and that's a huge factor) and we all had a great race day. My cousin kept trying out different ships, and never found one that suited him, until I aquainted him with the download packs and the Icaras. Now I think all his records are Icaras. 8 )

So at this point in time my best advice to you comes in the wise words of the Hydro Thunder announcer:

CHOOSE YOUR BOAT!

Tidal Blade!

wacko853
11th February 2008, 08:14 PM
hmm. im not sure who i should stick with thats the problem now:frown::frown::frown:

Medusa
11th February 2008, 08:21 PM
Pick the one that you think will still exist in future games (EX. don't pick Puma!) and that can survive online/ multiplayer play (Ex. don't pick Medieval or Zone!). Otherwise you'll find yourself very attached to that team, and if the next wipeout comes along without it, you'll be very irate.

Flashback Jack
11th February 2008, 08:38 PM
hmm. im not sure who i should stick with..

The AG Systems organization could use another eager pilot. It's an excellently-maneuverable ship, but stay off the walls for your own sake. :)

- F

Medusa
11th February 2008, 08:53 PM
HEAR, HEAR!!! *incredibly massive bias takes over*

You could always pick your favourite WipeoutZone moderator and then use the team they have as their avatar...

stin
11th February 2008, 09:25 PM
Just pick your ship as you comfortable with...

stevie:)

wacko853
12th February 2008, 08:29 PM
Thanks for all the advice i have been doing some time trails with feisar and i need some feed back ...... i might try to beat them with ag systems.

wacko853
15th February 2008, 06:44 PM
i am getting better i am nearly in the top 10 for all of the tracks in time trail

wacko853
18th February 2008, 04:21 PM
ag systems rock on pure they are really goood

Task
18th February 2008, 11:23 PM
Many top pilots fly AG-Sys, the low mass combined with the high thrust make for a craft that can recover quickly and pulls out of corners like nothing else.
Be warned though, the shields on that ship are a little light, you're going to get eliminated a couple times.

Enjoy your flight! 8 )

wacko853
19th August 2008, 09:26 PM
why thank you i hope to discuss other things in the future

swift killer
20th August 2008, 11:11 AM
Use prephiral vision, don't concerntrate too hard and you'll notice you become more precise or 'in the zone', also, remember racing line is important.

Xavier
25th August 2008, 05:37 PM
Something that would be really helpful to new pilots would be hard statistical data about the machines, courses, and weapons.

For example, say you have 1% of your shields left going into the last part of the last lap in a tough tournament race and can't afford to explode and end up with zero points. On the other hand, you wouldn't mind passing one of your rivals at the last second if you could. While thinking this, you pick up a speed boost pad.

Now, your next thought is probably, "Do I use this, or absorb it?"

You can only weigh those two options if you know many things -- how much shield you're going to gain by absorbing the pad; how much speed you'll gain if you use it; how much shield you'll lose if you accidentally bump a wall or other ship (remember, you've only got 1%!), etc., etc.

Having all this data in front of you would really help beginning pilots in choosing their ships and forming strategies.

Has anyone ever compiled it? Maximum speed for each ship, number of seconds to reach that speed, distance (in meters) to reach that speed, shield strength and how much is lost when hitting a wall at a certain speed, hitting other ships (heavier, lighter). How much shield is gained by absorbing each of the pickups; that's something I really want to know.

Of course you can learn all this by feel, but you shouldn't have to. Has anyone done this yet? I'm playing Pulse a lot these days and would be happy to start such a compilation for that game.

Lance
25th August 2008, 06:01 PM
I really wouldn't want all that data in front of me if you mean displayed as part of the game start-up sequence. However, I can certainly see it as a good thing to have in the manual, whether as a paper inclusion with a disc distribution game or an online downloaded manual.

phl0w
25th August 2008, 06:41 PM
Xavier, I'd gladly help, since I'm the type of gamer who needs the inside scoop, i.e. know what basic mechanics there are and how they are calculated. Since for me games are about competing, I want to know as much as there's to know about the playing field, whether it's even possible to play a given game competitively, whether most stuff is hard coded and/ or mere luck (some Beat'em Ups come to mind, also many racing games). With PC games this is an easy task and therefore "tweaks" with configuration files and such are everyday business for PC gamers, not so much with console titles on the other hand, for obvious reasons. I played 2k Sports' hockey titles pretty intensely and after investing tons of time in finding a realistic set of sliders to reflect real hockey as close as possible I encountered so many difficulties and unknown variables that apparently even the coders of their games wouldn't know, that I gave up. WO always felt very consistent in the "realism" department, which doesn't necessarely mean it must reflect our real world's physics but feature a set of physics that in itself offers countabiity, credibility and most importantly reliability, because that's what natural laws are about and result in a game with huge potential for competition.
Unfortunately only the devs can shine light on the raw data that actually gets computed and release it for a crowd that likes to dig in to the stuff that is the physics of WO. As is known, ships' stats are just a summation of numerous parameters that get processed from the engine, thus leading to confusion like why ships with the same speed stat actually top out at different velocities and the like. When the Triakis-bug got public somebody- I think it was Egg- told about data sheets for each ship where he found the wrong deceleration value. Maybe releasing those sheets wouldn't be a bad idea?
Of course it's not necessary to know all that to play the game for fun and even competitively to some point, but there's a line with every game where you need more detailed kowledge of its fundaments to improve beyond that line and while I'm far from there with Wipeout, I often get to a point while playing where I'm under the impression that by knowing a thing or two would actually help me more than spending another 100 laps on a track to - in most cases incidentally - pull off that perfectly raced lap.

rdmx
26th August 2008, 07:07 AM
HD on the default HUD has weapon power and absorb statistics on either side of the weapon icon.

DJ Techno
3rd September 2008, 05:41 AM
you want to get better....

stick yourself with an injection of liquid electronica

plug your ears and nostrils into a sonic and air system of trance sound and ambient atmospheres

stick your eyes completely in the visual works of techno, gabba, goa, detroit, england, french, and house moves

move your body, hands, arms, shoulders, legs, hips, feet, and neck to the sounds of drum and bass, jungle, and acid house

and last but not least

repeat, repeat, repeat

and finish with twelve tracks, from each wipeout game, using these musics
cold storage
fluke
prodigy
orbital
elite force
future sound of london
bjork
roni size
moby
darren emerson
ian van dalh
alice deejay

Have a Nice Day...

ACE-FLO
27th April 2009, 08:08 PM
At DJ Techno - your Post ROCKS - Its all true... This is how you get loose, and when loose, my games are tight. It makes perfect sense.

zargz
1st May 2009, 09:18 PM
1. Practice.
2. Practice.
3. And then practice some more!

8)

TheFrostE
7th May 2009, 06:07 PM
ew....pure X_X (begin the stoning of froste)

as much as i love the entire wipeout collection, pure and fusion i cannot get into that much

archman
7th May 2009, 08:36 PM
Pure was personally very hard to get into for me. But once I got used to it, I enjoyed every single moment I spent playing it.

DJ Techno
24th June 2009, 06:45 AM
their will be a new list of pure tracks to have a listen and try for players.. when i come back to my state from the north american tourny....

right now its bout 3 am. and a lot of new music was given to me. and more.