PDA

View Full Version : Is Piranha the supership in Pulse?

Mad-Ice
4th February 2008, 09:51 AM
What I would like to know is: is Piranha the supership in Pulse, like Triakis is the supership in Pure?

I think it is, except on tracks like: Fort Gale, Platinum Rush and Outpost 7.

What do you guys think?

zargz
4th February 2008, 11:43 AM
I think so judging from the rankings but I'll stick to my guns (assegai) :cowboy

Chrono
4th February 2008, 11:52 AM
If anything in Pulse is too good, it's Goteki. Piranha is just the best for TTing, at least till Icarus.

QirexAAX
4th February 2008, 01:49 PM
Goteki is too good? I like the Goteki ship so much I've tried it dozens of times but can't seem to make much progress with it >.<

phl0w
4th February 2008, 01:51 PM
I hope so!

"Piranha - One ship to rule them all since 2097" ;)

Flashback Jack
4th February 2008, 01:56 PM
I think so judging from the rankings but I'll stick to my guns (assegai) :cowboy

That Piranha factors heavily into the upper rankings only indicate a popular choice based on an unconfirmed belief. If everyone started owning the tables with Feisar, for example, on the belief that nothing can overcome its ten-point handling, well, we still operate on the level of belief.

There's nothing in my own experience to unequivocably suggest Piranha has any advantage over any other ship -- not yet anyway. Whether this is the case, perhaps some authoritative input from Colin or Egg could set the record straight.

- F

Alex_Se
4th February 2008, 02:04 PM
I see many people using piranha and assegai. I never tested them myself, so i can't really say.

I trust my Feisar too much <3

Medusa
4th February 2008, 02:18 PM
Piranha most definitely rules at least venom (and flash on easier tracks) online. I can have a near perfect race in AG-SYS but a Piranha pilot having a bad day can still win by about 3/4 seconds.

As to being the supership...I don't think it can be called that quite yet. But it looked like it was well on its way. Speed is an advantage over other ships if you can manage not to hit the walls.

Rapier Racer
4th February 2008, 02:24 PM
No, Goteki is, thrust 10 a huge uber advantage. Doesn't matter where you start on the grid with Goteki you end up at the front in a hurry, (assuming you get the boost) even from 8th place. It puts you in the lead early a few back dropping weapons and you can just disappear off out of sight. it also regains its speed quicker after an attack again advantage of 10 thrust rating.

QirexAAX
4th February 2008, 02:37 PM
But if you don't get any drop weapons you get overtaken :|

lunar
4th February 2008, 02:38 PM
Yes I do like it (Goteki) because it`ll get you to the front quite well, as long as there isn`t an AGS ahead of you on the grid. It won`t really pull past an AGS very easily, if at all. The problem with Goteki (for me) is that if you don`t get those bombs and mines and drop them well you might get that lead, but you`re going to have problems staying there, with your low top speed and bad handling for technical tracks. I think AGS with thrust 9, not significantly slower off the grid, better speed, great handling that really helps on some turns, and the same shield as Goteki is possibly the online supership, with Piranha/Icaras for offline. AGS seems to have practically all the advantages of Goteki and none of the bad points, but time will tell and I`ll boost those Goteki points later on! Ash is flying Goteki very sweetly online and really making it work, but I think it really needs a top pilot to keep it infront after the start.

Flashback Jack
4th February 2008, 02:44 PM
Speed is an advantage over other ships if you can manage not to hit the walls.

Can't forget the control factor. On Phantom, I have on numerous occasions been left in the dust on the order of several ship lengths by my own AG-SYS ghost just for maneuvering around a bend five or ten degrees wider. Speed can be good, yes, but control makes for a better than fair equalizer -- especially on the higher speed classes.

- F

KANDANG
4th February 2008, 02:47 PM
hehe look here - link (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4494)

first discussion thread :p

Rapier Racer
4th February 2008, 03:56 PM
I think it really needs a top pilot to keep it infront after the start.

Just race Supersocks, you'll soon see how powerful Goteki is in the right hands. No bombs or mines? Still not a problem for it to widen the gap, why I had success with it myself during a little testing period. It can outrun Assegai on a straight so maybe the top speed stat isn't as meaningful as one might think.

Chrono
4th February 2008, 04:58 PM
I've noticed it feels harder to catch higher thrust ships on mag strips, even in Piranha.

ZenDJiNN
4th February 2008, 05:20 PM
I find it hard to catch most people online, Mag strips or not! :g

But seriously, Pirahna is a good ship (They all are) but good at everything? I doubt it.... & if there is one ship that could do it (IMHO) then it's AG-Sys. As lunar said, AG-Sys pretty much has everything, and enough of it overall to make the difference, whatever class you're in.

Having said that, i also reserve the right to be completely wrong because i still find Rapier difficult...... but not impossible, and i'm sure the AG really helps here. :)

Chrono
4th February 2008, 06:00 PM
If you consider speed lap and TT, nothing can touch Piranha. A great time with any other ship can never match a great Piranha time. It's that simple, and it'll be that way till Icarus.

Flashback Jack
4th February 2008, 06:27 PM
Neglecting the various factors that go into a fast time trial record and speed lap, the above statement is perilously absolute.

The current Basilico White (Phantom) race record and the next down the line are, as far as I can tell, very close to the fastest possible time for the track. Both were achieved using a Piranha (Mad Ice) and an AG-SYS (me), yet a mere two tenths of a second separate us over a minute and twenty-six seconds of racing, which on this track amounts to roughly two ship lengths. Not much of a disparity in my opinion, and this is the clearest example I can muster based upon tangible details.

Two things can be mused about this based upon the growing assumption that the Piranha is the most capable ship in the game; either I'm piloting the AG-SYS beyond its capabilities (assuredly not), or Mad Ice isn't pushing the Piranha hard enough (which I doubt). Hypothetically speaking.

Because I sense the Piranha's top speed is the main attribute folks here tend to single out, is there anything besides that attribute you feel gives the ship an advantage? I figure we can put this into perspective if we take a more holistic approach toward the analysis.

- F

Rapier Racer
4th February 2008, 07:58 PM
Perhaps it's just that ships with a maxed out stat stand out, at least in areas of acceleration and top speed, shield well who cares about that look how Triakis have fallen right out of favor as such they haven't even reappeared on the Team Performance table since the site reset.

Maybe we need a more definite and clear definition of the term 'Supership'. To me a Supership is the 2097 Piranha which truly outclassed every other ship by about 50 years. Icaras in Wipeout 3 would also make the list, to a lesser degree because I believe on manor top Phantom an Assegai can be faster. Triakis in Pure was an even lesser Supership in my view because its not like it was unstoppable, not at all. In fact if you look at the Pure record table here on the Zone it's not showing 5 Triakis as the top ships. Maybe Piranha in Pulse has a slight advantage? I'm not sure personally, any small advantage it might have certainly is not enough to dub it a Supership.

I still Believe the advantage lies with Goteki. For now.

lunar
4th February 2008, 08:38 PM
I agree totally with your history of "Superships", Stephen. As far as Pulse goes, I suppose it`s too early to say. I think Goteki will turn out to be a good online ship at faster classes, for a good player, and a relatively poor offline TT ship. As you mentioned Triakis, it is a terrible shame what`s happened to them, but I do sometimes race Triakis online when I`m up against Piranhas at Venom or Flash.

Frances_Penfold
5th February 2008, 12:48 AM
I think there are too many factors to identify the best ship for ONLINE play-- it depends on the track, the opposition and the speed class.

For TTs and Speed Laps at Venom/Flash/Rapier, my experience so far is that Pirrhana has a clear advantage-- as much as I hate to say it. I've practices several tracks extensively using AGS, EG-X and Pirrhana, and Pirrhana inevitably comes out on top.

Phantom could be a different situation because of the challenge of controlling the ship. On the other hand, history of Time Trialing in videogames suggests that faster (but less manueverable) ships ultimately are the faster choice-- at some point, somebody (or somebodies) will come along and be able to control the ship-- but there's no way for a maneuverable ship to go faster.

P52Smith
11th February 2008, 10:11 PM
I've only used Piranha online and I've won over 80% of my races.
OFFLINE I've maxed out Assegai loyalty and I'm bringing the others up together at about 40% each. I am often feeling that your ship's stats get boosted offline to max (10 on Pulse, 5 on Pure)! Anyone else feel the same?

Assegai and Mirage are definetly the most balanced.