PDA

View Full Version : Emulation Situation

Consortium
1st July 2002, 11:50 AM
I just scored a copy of Wipeout 3 (no SE, unfortunately) from Tradition in downtown Stockholm for about 20 bucks yesterday. The thing is, I don't have a Playstation! :-)

I have CVGS, but it doesn't run under OS X, so I have to try it in the studio today (instead of actually working) on the G4 400 Mac that runs OS 9.2. Several reviewers reported no problems with the game on equivalant Mac setups, so here's hoping!

If that doesn't work, I suppose I'll just have to snag a marked-down PS1... I want to get in on all the Mega-Mall madness - even if late!

Here's hoping!

c.

Sven
1st July 2002, 04:14 PM
couldn't you run it in classic, or reboot in to OS 9?

Consortium
1st July 2002, 07:15 PM
Ah! But you see, I have taken Classic completely off my iBook - no OS 9 at all! Actually, it turns out this wasn't too bright on my part, as I have a lot of OS X apps that are "updates" and not full versions, which means you have to have the older OS 9 full install disks to get to the latest versions. I think I have the Illustrator v.8 full install and an update to v.9, and then an update to 10. Not fun.

Now I have to format the HD *again* to make a small OS 9 partition.... I was too zealous in my enthusiasm to leap into the deep end of OS X (although I love it and it's great to use). No matter what Steve Jobs says, 9 isn't quite dead yet...

Also, my poor iBook just has a 466 G3 in it, and I think Virtual Game Station isn't going to settle for less than a G4. The G3, labouring under both Classic and X at the same time is bound to be inadequate. I'm betting the game needs that Altivec Velocity Engine to really rip through the graphics and be playable.

Hell, maybe it's time to spring for a GeForce card!

c.

Sven
1st July 2002, 08:48 PM
The G3, labouring under both Classic and X at the same time is bound to be inadequate.
You can always just reboot into OS 9 instead of running classic AND OS X. The only problem there is that you'll have to reboot again back into OS X, but that's not a huge loss.
And PS1s are only $50 now anyway. But you should probably go ahead for a PS2 for $200 (if/when you have the cash). After all, a PS2 can play PS2 AND PS1 games.

Wamdue
2nd July 2002, 01:10 PM
i agree, either buy a cheap ps1 or a ps2 for your wipeout.. I mean, surely, what else can be better than to run the game on the right system. I dunno, it might be I have bad experience from ps1 emulation.. either too slow or too fast emulation.

id let you buy mine if it wasnt so ...well, i think most of it is broken in it.. its kind of nice to keep your old consoles :)

Nathan Adams
2nd July 2002, 04:24 PM
You've got virtual game station? lucky you! - connetix have discontinued it :( (which is a pain, as I wanted something to play wip3out on when my brother takes his psx out of the house...)
You wouldn't know where any copies are floating around on ftp servers would you? 8)

Consortium
2nd July 2002, 10:16 PM
It's funny, because I noticed that in the downtown Stockholm Åhlens (Åhlens is a big, sort of mid-level department store in Sweden), in the Mac section they have a bargain bin with about 10 copies of CVGS in the boxes. I'll buy one and then mail you the software. Then everything is on the up-and-up. (I think)

Sound good?

c.

zargz
3rd July 2002, 09:11 AM
well c, I've been back in sweden (stockholm) for 3weeks now and ima gonna stay 4@least 2-3 more months
and I happen 2have 2 psx' @home And 2 TVs AND a LINK cable and a bunch of controllers
so if u feel like paying me a visit just say the word! 8)
but man, u better b good or I'll just let my kidbro kick u @$$ :D .. joking of course!
u, my bro, me and any other race-person we can get - should b a great 4-player Xperience huh? :roll:
I live in skogas 15 min from down town with pendeln!
so what u say? :D
I'll pm u my phone nr! :o

zargz
3rd July 2002, 11:10 AM
or mail me - zargzATyahoo.com :wink:

Consortium
3rd July 2002, 02:14 PM
Hey, that's a great invitation, Z! Maybe we can get together sometime soon... maybe we can corral Wamdue as well! (I live on the island of Södermalm)

**but first**.... I have to practice!!!

Must avoid humiliation.... :-)

Unfortunately, today's test of W'O" 3 using CVGS on my PowerMac 400 G4 failed. Same problem I had with the 466 G3 iBook - menus, movies, all fine... set up the first race... Porto Korda, Feisar, single race... everything fine.... start racing and hit that first glowing barrier across the track (don't know what it is yet) and BAM - graphic lockup. Music plays on, but video freezes.

I read 3 separate reviews from people online who had the game work just fine on setups llike mine, so I am assuming it's a PAL/NTSC thing....

How unfortunate... I guess it's PS2 time!

c.

Sven
3rd July 2002, 04:55 PM
glowing barrier across the track (don't know what it is yet)
it's a checkpoint marker.

zargz
4th July 2002, 03:58 AM
ha! I got the same problem with my ntsc wo3 on my pal(chiped) psx!
but it works on my psOne(pal/chped) so I thought it's the chip that is older on the psx ..
strange that u got the same problem on the computer ?
is'nt the game pal?
if so u should b able 2play it on your ps2 wthout a problem.

Thruster2097
4th July 2002, 09:25 PM
...just checking KaZaA for "Virtual Game Station"......

Thruster2097
4th July 2002, 09:31 PM
... found 16 results.
it is made by a company called Connectix, and has versions ranging from 708Kb to 3.3MB, and is available for either win95/98 or win2000.

If you want me to get a copy, let me know.

Wiseman
5th July 2002, 11:54 AM
http://www.ngemu.com/psx/vgsmac.php?page=download

That's for the Mac version.

I use ePSXe myself, but that's not available for the Mac.

Nathan Adams
5th July 2002, 04:25 PM
damn - downloaded the mac version from that website (both the 'demo' and the updater), installed, then it tells me that VGS doesn't like my cd-rom driver (despite it being an apple driver, for an apple preinstalled combo drive).... damn!!
if anyone finds out how to work around this let me know!

Thanks very much for the offer too Dave, but since this lovely download has been provided, it shan't be needed. Very kind of you though

Armoredgear7
10th July 2002, 11:43 PM
For the record, as I was late viewing this topic (so busy lately).

I have Connetix VGS for OS9 on my G4, but the machine wont read the data part of the Wipeout 3 disc, I dont know why it wont work, but every other PS1 game i have works just fine.

Mator
19th July 2002, 11:41 AM
http://www.ngemu.com/psx/flarestorm/FlareStorm[1].tar.gz
new mac emulator, but chinese. I cant try it, but i hope its good :D

Nathan Adams
19th July 2002, 12:30 PM
i tried flarestorm about a month ago, but got a bit worried when the installer froze on "optimizing system performance"....
so I force killed it and trashed it. I might give it another chance though with a fresh download.
Have you tried it out yet?