PDA

View Full Version : Assegai Bandwagon

Kansas
24th January 2008, 08:06 PM
My goodness, where did all these Assegai pilots come from?

I thought we were only a handful...at least we were a few years ago. Suddenly, everybody and their granny is hitting the tracks with Assegai. I feel...kind of...dirty. Uh...

Flashback Jack
24th January 2008, 08:50 PM
No dirtier than I feel as an AG-SYS pilot these days. :)

- F

Quakka
25th January 2008, 06:37 AM
Count me in on the bandwagon. I'm completely new to the Wipeout series and racing games in general, so I guess my choice reaffirms the Assegai's status as the noob ship in Pulse. Sorry guys!

I actually thought I'd avoid picking the popular beginners craft by wanting at least 8 speed and not minding low shields... probably exactly what every other newbie out there thought :p.

I might have to rethink the bit about the shields after trying a couple of rapier class races, though. I'm spending more time racing on the railings than in between them :dizzy.

Ash-Omen
25th January 2008, 06:50 AM
Agrees with Quakka, Asseqai is like the official noob ship lol im yet too see some really skilled Asseqai pilots apart from rapier racer , sorry zargz if i offended u :g lol

Rapier Racer
25th January 2008, 09:27 AM
Yeah right and the fact thats it's the first ship you see on the ship select screen has nothing to do with all these casual gaming noobs picking it right? It's also not the reason why there have been quite a few game-play videos published on gaming sites using Assegai, because those people always thoroughly scrutinize every ships stats before they start their rantings right??

If Assegai is the noob ship of Pulse then I feel sorry for Feisar, now it has nothing to claim. Maybe they can clean the tracks after races lol. I've yet to see anyone kick serious ass in a Feisar.

lunar
25th January 2008, 10:27 AM
Exactly Stephen, it`s all because Assegai is the first ship on the list. It`s actually one of the faster ships, and with shield 7 isn`t suitable for rookies at all. I`m considering promoting it from my third ship to my first. ;) I`ll do anything to avoid flying AGS, which I suspect might be the best online ship.

Stardragon88
25th January 2008, 12:00 PM
Ah AG-SYS. Despite EG-X being my ship of choice, I get the sneaking feeling that AG-SYS feels better for me everytime I try it. I have yet to cave in though. :naughty

realityhole
25th January 2008, 03:27 PM
lol, i usually use assegai, didn't know it was regarded as a noob ship, although I have been looking through the stats, and when Icarus comes out i'll probably go to that, or maybe the other one that's yet to be released, i forget what it's called...
my other two faves are qirex and egx, but i cant decide between them

Rapier Racer
25th January 2008, 04:04 PM
This is the first time I'm aware of it being referred to as a noob ship.

Flashback Jack
25th January 2008, 04:28 PM
I have been looking through the stats, and when Icarus comes out i'll probably go to that

Why Icaras in particular? Because I've yet to see any Pulse ship that can't make it into the top three of the fastest times, including Feisar.

While we're here, the Piranha is a very deceving ship in the sense that it might seem incomparably fast, and I was almost convinced we had another sort of Pure Triakis on our hands by all the Piranhas dominating the leadboards, but based on my own experience I am firmly back to believing the fabled balance is actually there, odd as it seems when you consider the apparent "difference" between a Feisar and, say, a Piranha.

I'd be very interested in hearing about Egg's approach to balancing the ships, really.

- F

Kansas
25th January 2008, 05:24 PM
This is the first time I'm aware of it being referred to as a noob ship.

same here.

I'm insulted.

Frances_Penfold
25th January 2008, 09:53 PM
... but based on my own experience I am firmly back to believing the fabled balance is actually there, odd as it seems when you consider the apparent "difference" between a Feisar and, say, a Piranha.

I agree that this is remarkable.

But once folks get serious about time trialing, do you really think that more than one ship will be viable at the highest level of competition? I find that hard to believe-- though I could imagine that different ships will be tops on different courses.

Hope I'm wrong about this, though ;) It'd be great to see 2 or 3 ships jockying for the top positions.

Rapier Racer
25th January 2008, 09:54 PM
As long as there balanced for proper online play thats all that matters in my opinion.

KANDANG
25th January 2008, 11:22 PM
ello, are you basing the number of assegai pilots on the team performance on wipeout-game.com ?:sonar

if ya did, it's probably wrong considering that auricom,icaras and harimau are also on the list.

realityhole
26th January 2008, 09:37 AM
i thought that icarus looked good because of its control balance, the handling isn't too bad, neither is the acceleration. What i'd love to see though is the ability to upgrade your ship like in Fusion, but only to a certain extent so everybody doesn't have superships... u know, make it so their has to be a certain ratio between the stats, or only give a certain number of points to use... sadly the game's already been made so we wont see this, unless they introduce it in a pack, which i'm not sure is possible

Dogg Thang
26th January 2008, 09:49 AM
Or desirable. There are more than enough teams to choose from and I'd say the work in balancing those was immense. I imagine if you don't see a particular combination of stats you want, it's because it wouldn't be balanced.

Relequestual
28th January 2008, 09:47 AM
Ive been using Assegai since Wip3out!
Ive been convinced all this time it was icaras, but after playing it again the other day, i realised it was of course assegai! how could it be anything else!

The Gracer
30th January 2008, 06:33 PM
i used assegai back in pure, so i cant be classified as a 'noob' or a 'bandwagoner'!!

To be honest, i flew all the ships and had a good think about the stats before settling with Assegai. remembering that im not the most awesome of pilots, the handling needed to be high and i didnt really want to sacrifice too much speed or thrust to obtain the good stat.

Im seriously thinking of a swap to FEISAR. does this make me stupid?

QirexAAX
30th January 2008, 06:37 PM
I honestly don't think Feisar is as much of a 'noob' ship as everyone seems to think it is. I can never decide whether I want to pilot Feisar or Qirex, so I keep switching. The other night I decided to see which I performed better in on repeated Speed Lap events on Moa Therma white Rapier, and I found I was constantly able to edge down my fastest time little by little, regardless of what ship I was using, and with no clear advantage to either.

x3pwnage
30th January 2008, 08:10 PM
Ive been using assegai since wip3out, Im think of switching to a different team though just because of the mass number of assegai pilots, Im gonna switch to one of the new download teams, maybe mirage, good stats and the ship looks wicked

Asayyeah
30th January 2008, 11:52 PM
my Assegai stats for Pulse : 0 pt of loyaltie :paperbag

Kansas
31st January 2008, 04:55 AM
change that, son

stay loyal to Assegai

Asayyeah
31st January 2008, 12:19 PM
Amen, padre.
;)