PDA

View Full Version : I have a dream...

Vasudeva
27th June 2002, 08:44 PM
Greetings.

You know what would be wonderful?

A wipeout world championship! Imagine someone coming to this forum one day, a very rich eccentric person with too much money. And this person hosts a wipeout tournament. That would be a totally different experience from just playing at home and then update your times.

Imagine Zargz and Zoolander go for a neck-on-neck race at Mandrashee. Or a victorious Thruster on say Porto Kora. Or that my brother and I can finally test our metal against one another on Altima VII, like the Tetsuo twins of the future past.

Ah, well... never quit dreaming I suppose.

Peace,
V.

Spaceboy Gajo
29th June 2002, 01:36 AM
If that happen Vasudeva, a lot of people would be gunning for Zoolander. It would seem a lot worse than the Tigron team's tactics. Poor Al wouldn't stand a chance. Neither would I in my FEISAR :D A real league would be something.

Maybe, one day.

Vasudeva
29th June 2002, 09:45 PM
I realised that. Perhaps weapons should be disallowed then?

V.

Task
2nd July 2002, 04:19 AM
What?!? Christ, no!
Even in WO1, the pilot of the craft was important! It's been nice to see the pilot emphasized in Fusion. More to the point, if there's a certain pilot that you know you'll have trouble beating, of course you'll aim for them, but that's a part of the game.
It would be just like in a league game, the current leader becomes the primary target..
Weapons make the game, it wouldn't be as much fun without the weapons.

FoxZero
2nd July 2002, 09:35 PM
disabling weapons in a wipeout competition would be like prohibiting tackling in professional football.

JABBERJAW
2nd July 2002, 10:54 PM
I'm not so sure I would want a neck on neck race with zargz. Maybe just a regular race :D

Wamdue
3rd July 2002, 10:28 PM
well, there arent as much skills involved with weapons that theres with pure racing.sure, rockets, plasmabolts, it requires aim.. but some hunter missile racing the track on its own and catching up to its target.. cĀ“mon..

FoxZero
4th July 2002, 12:57 AM
wuss :wink:

weapons are necessary. dont cry if you lose 8)

Lance
4th July 2002, 02:34 AM
i think it takes even more skill with weapons. the dodging of rockets and other ships while still getting cleanly through the corners. the calculated use of shields. the avoidance of a crashing ship you just rocketed while still catching the boost pads. oh yeah!

satriani
4th July 2002, 12:27 PM
Woah, this thread is going back to the old EZboard days when we used to argue about this over WO3SE.

jmoid
4th July 2002, 08:34 PM
i always envisaged it (and i've envisaged it a lot :) ) as being a sort of two-tier thing, one league for weapon users, one without.

Thruster2097
4th July 2002, 09:22 PM
To put it mildly, racing with weapons involves some skill and some luck. Racing without weapons is all down to skill.

I guess thats why I always have the weapons on.... c`mon, there is the thrill of victory after a 4 lap slog around gare d`europa, that is an emotion that is earned. But the sheer pleasure and excitement of following in another crafts slipstream for ages, eventually picking up a plasma bolt, and waiting for that "just-so" moment,.... the tension..... the execution..... the sound..... "KERRRCHUUURRRRGGGHHHHHH----PHZOUUUUUGH" "CONTENDER ELIMINATED"
That is my wipEout.
That is what makes me come back for more. Technically, I may not be the best at the game, but its that pick-up-and-play style that makes me love the game so much.

.....and no matter who it is, they are going to have to fly really hard to beat me around porto kora.!!!....

Vasudeva
5th July 2002, 09:26 AM
I thought about removing weapons, because suppose that there are 12 human players on track, this means that 12 people can use quakes. If this were true, no one would pick Assegai anymore. Furthermore, the least skilled racer could win the game simply because the rest ahead of him or her would be eliminated in close or distant combat.

I will agree that firing a plasma bolt requires some skill, as does placing a drain at the right moment, but it takes absolutely no skill to fire a quake.

Peace,
V.