PDA

View Full Version : oops

BARTgai
16th January 2008, 01:35 AM
well, i was trying to delete one of my old skins, but by mistake, hit 'publish'. i was like " oh crud ". i deleted the skin after that, but have no idea if will still be published. is there any way to stop it from going out to the public?

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 05:55 AM
I published my skin about a month ago and its never popped up in the Gallery... yet

infoxicated
16th January 2008, 08:50 AM
If you delete a skin then it will never make the ship skin gallery.

Dogg Thang
16th January 2008, 09:23 AM
Ah! So the publish command only brings attention to the skin that's in your five slots and, if you change that, the skin you hit published on effectively doesn't exist any more? That makes sense. Also explains why some of the really early skins I made never showed up in the gallery (although it doesn't seem to have updated since Christmas anyway).

I had thought the publish command sent them somewhere for approval and that anything new in that slot was, well, new.

infoxicated
16th January 2008, 10:37 AM
The gallery is sorting in the wrong direction anyway, showing oldest skins first. It'll be fixed later this week and, at the end of the month, there'll be a proper ship skin gallery off of the Downloads page which will be searchable by user.

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 11:41 AM
Thank goodness, I thought I'd never see my published skins

Ricanebleu
17th January 2008, 07:00 PM
Can I also hope that I’ll be able to use all 5 slots? Currently I can have only 4 slots at a time, the 5th is reading error after trying to save the skin.

GTAce
17th January 2008, 07:14 PM
http://www.wipeout-skins.co.nr/ No one needs the official site. lol
But i also think that 5 slots are way to less, i think i will use the site just to get the standard skins and to check how it looks on the ships.

Ricanebleu
17th January 2008, 08:50 PM
Well actually you DO need the official site because without it the skins are useless. The skin applier is only on the official site.
http://www.wipeout-skins.co.nr/ is only a shipskin archive.

And not being able to have all of the already too few slots is very frustrating.
I really hope something will change with the arrival of the packs, hopefully the idea of slots will be erased from the ingame and so, maybe with just one online slot we’ll be able to load dozens of skins at one time and not just 5.

GTAce
17th January 2008, 09:21 PM
Yeah like i said you need the site for the original skins and to check it on the ships directly but not for publishing it.
We should make wipeout-skins more popular to have a good archive and that many people with the game can see it. 8 )
Official sites never have the same effect like fan sites.

Ricanebleu
18th January 2008, 01:50 PM
http://www.wipeout-skins.co.nr/ No one needs the official site. lol

Well I understand what you mean now, ands I agree, but initially I thought you mean something else. It would be interesting though if the applier would be offline and allowed to be hosted by everyone (in our case CR4SH3D site).

As for fan site, CR4SH3D's idea of a skin archive was brilliant.

I got my hands on the Fusion just after the site was already missing and just recently I was able to really enjoy the thrill of the F9000 official site, after its return. So in a way I really fear that SL and Sony will decide to close the Pulse site in a year or so and then adios new skins.

BARTgai
19th January 2008, 01:19 AM
close the Pulse site? Why? The Pure site is still up after all these years.

GTAce
19th January 2008, 01:24 AM
adios new skins
Nope because you can safe the original skins and always make new skins out of them.
It would be shitty for me because i cant check if the skin looks good without the shockwave animation. lol

Ricanebleu
20th January 2008, 12:39 AM
GTAce:Meaning what that you can apply the new skin without the online program?
Yes you could make new skins but if the site is off you don’t have the means to bring them in game.
-----------------------------------------------
BARTgai: it is not a question of why. Why did they close the Fusion in the first place? The one that is now it seams to be a sort of a back up not the original. I don’t know. The thing is I love this game so much.

infoxicated
20th January 2008, 04:08 PM
Why did they close the Fusion site in the first place?

Because the idiots from the Hover Race forums essentially made a denial of service attack on the forums, rendering them useless. Good Technology had made such a **** job of setting up the forums they were hosting that they'd write protected the options/settings file, meaning that I couldn't turn on Flood Prevention to stop the attacks. Easiest way to stop it happening was to just turn the site off.

The hosting contract was then just about up with Good Technology at the time anyway, so we started the process of moving the site onto official Sony servers instead, but part way through the move the guy I was liasing with in London over the move left the company and the whole thing went into limbo. It was down for over two months before we finally got it back on line, but by then the traffic had died and as a result there was no valid business reason to keep the site going.

It costs a lot to keep a site up and running (I dread to think what this place has cost me in total over the last seven years), so when the only activity other than spam-bots was "Rachel Johnson" roleplaying and sock puppeting it wasn't a tough decision to pull the plug.

That's it, in a nut shell.

GTAce
20th January 2008, 04:18 PM
By the way, isnt the "Pulse" site with the skin editor the official wipEout site overall now?
So i cant imagine it will closed to soon anyway.

Rapier Racer
20th January 2008, 04:23 PM
It's the main Wipeout site, I believe HD will make use of it also. There is an individual game site for HD just like Pulse but it's not live yet.

infoxicated
20th January 2008, 06:03 PM
WipEout-Game.com is the "franchise site" for WipEout, while the Flash based sites are for marketing purposes, so while they might be short lived the franchise site is a long term project.

Frances_Penfold
20th January 2008, 09:44 PM
It was down for over two months before we finally got it back on line, but by then the traffic had died and as a result there was no valid business reason to keep the site going.

So is that how the Wipeout Zone was born? From the ashes of the Wipeout Fusion community?

Medusa
20th January 2008, 09:54 PM
:eek:blarg Thankfully there were greater WipEouts than Fusion looong before the Fusion site. Not that I was a member back then...but anyways...

infoxicated
20th January 2008, 11:12 PM
So is that how the Wipeout Zone was born? From the ashes of the Wipeout Fusion community?
Not at all - WipEoutZone was launched early in January 2001, taking on the membership, forum, and record tables of the Wipeout 3 Pilots Association, so it was around for a good ten or eleven months before the official Fusion site arrived.

By the time the Fusion site went offline in late 2003 we'd picked up quite a few members from the Fusion boards due to a sort of cross-pollination, but in the main the folk from the other side didn't like WipEoutZone for whatever reason.

It was odd, because they were both run by me by that point and it was quite amusing getting messages from folk on the Fusion board telling me I was a better webmaster/moderator than the guy on that WipEoutZone site. :D

So it's not as if we got an influx of refugees when the Fusion forums eventually went off line, though... by then there was nobody really left to defect.

Task
20th January 2008, 11:14 PM
So is that how the Wipeout Zone was born? From the ashes of the Wipeout Fusion community?Oh, Good Lord, no!
WipeoutZone totally pre-dates Fusion: WipeoutZone is Go! :: 2001-01-07 (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/news.php?action=display&id=1)
WO3 was it. That was the height of the franchise. Foxy put the site up way back then, I believe to host the record tables that pilots were filling.

Ancient history, now! 8 )

Most of the "Fusion community" disappeared with the site.

Ricanebleu
20th January 2008, 11:14 PM
WipEout-Game.com is the "franchise site" for WipEout, while the Flash based sites are for marketing purposes, so while they might be short lived the franchise site is a long term project.

In this case, coming from you, I won’t worry so much. It is most unfortunately what you say about the Fusion site. I suppose I should consider myself lucky to have the backup online again. Hopefully, in time, if it will receive enough attention the full potential of the site will be restored. So far, for me, the W’O’’ Fusion is the best. I don’t know, but WipEout has come so far that any bit of information lost because of bad management is a shame.:rolleyes:

Frances_Penfold
21st January 2008, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the info, Foxxy and Task! I've always wondered about the origins of the site.

Not at all - WipEoutZone was launched early in January 2001, taking on the membership, forum, and record tables of the Wipeout 3 Pilots Association, so it was around for a good ten or eleven months before the official Fusion site arrived.

So, historically, was the site officially connected or supported by Sony or Studio Liverpool in any way? Or has WOZ always been absolutely and completely a fan site that happens to be visited sometimes by folks that have a hand in making the games?

And who pays the bills nowadays to keep the site running? That must be pretty steep and getting steeper, as (hopefully) the Wipeout community expands (with Pulse out now and Wipeout HD on the horizon)

Apologies for veering off topic in this thread-- I wasn't around when lots of this stuff was happening, so I'm curious about the history :)

infoxicated
21st January 2008, 08:23 AM
Historically WipEoutZone has always been independantly run by myself - it was a year and a half after I first registered the domain name before I got the job with Sony.

I pay the bills, I'm afraid, although I lease the server with a web developer friend of mine to keep the costs down, so there are a bunch of sites running on the same server. I started using the google ads help to pay for the Cafepress store and the vBulletin forum license, but the ads raise so little cash that I have to supplement both. I dread to think what I've paid out over the years, plus the amount of time I've spent working on it, but it is a good community here so it's been worth it.

The cost doesn't really expand with the size of the community - I think the server lease includes 100Gb of traffic a month and we use but a fraction of it.

Frances_Penfold
21st January 2008, 02:12 PM
Ah, makes sense. Thanks much for filling in the back-story! And thanks also for the hard work (and monetery investment) that you (and the mods) have put into the site-- it's a great place!

Rapier Racer
21st January 2008, 03:53 PM
Its a pity theres no way to directly donate anymore. The Paypal donation thing got taken off for a reason that has escaped my mind.

infoxicated
21st January 2008, 04:35 PM
I was getting loads of spam on the address I set up for it, plus some people made mental donations that I felt guilty about.

Mark "Thruster2097" Hancock donated close to £100 at one point, for reasons that still escape me, and a few other people put in really generous donations that just made me feel like I was robbing them blind.

It's a bit of a grey area, because there are other sites on the server I pay for. There's my personal site, another forum that I run, my girfriend's site, for example. So although WipEoutZone is by far the most busy, it's merely piggybacking on a server I'd probably lease anyway.

So long as the income from the store and the ads can support the store and the vBulletin license, it's not like it needs to rake in the cash. I don't think I'd ever planed to retire on this place! ;)