PDA

View Full Version : EG-X Underpowered compared to competition?

Au_Xtr3me
14th January 2008, 11:51 PM
Is it just me or does EG-X feel as though it lacks something special?

Stardragon88
15th January 2008, 01:12 AM
While it does have less total stat points (31) compared to most other ships, imo it's pretty rare for a ship to excel in both speed and acceleration. The price it pays for this is 7 in both handling and shields, which isn't all that bad.

Look at Piranha, while it has superb speed and shields, it pays for this with a 6 in both acceleration and handling. I suppose 7 is really the bare minimum for me, low enough to warrant high stats in other areas, and not as noticable as a 6.

The handing doesn't pose all that much of a problem outside of Outpost 7 Phantom, and conversely I feel it makes the ship less 'twitchy' on the straights. As for shields, I've honestly not found them lacking as of yet, even with weapons off and on BR crazy tracks like Tech De Ra White/Black.

I might add that I personally don't value all stat points equally. For me, points in speed and acceleration are more valuable than points in handling, with the shield stat coming in last behind all three. I'm guessing that's how the developers view it too, since ships with immense speed tend to have lower total stat points. For example, Piranha (10/6/6/9, total 31) and Icaras (10/7/7/6, total 30) as opposed to average of 32. :beer

Au_Xtr3me
15th January 2008, 01:21 AM
I remember seeing somewhere that the reason for the stat allocation was because of the ships weight category.

Light Ships: High Thrust and handling; poor shield and speed

Medium Ships: balanced

Heavy ships: high shield and speed. poor thust and handling.

But EG-X was especially disappointing because Assegai and AG-Systems offer similar thrust and speed, with better handling or shield.

Frances_Penfold
15th January 2008, 03:47 AM
I'm afraid I don't have enough experience to evaluate EG-X but am looking forward to hearing other folks chyme in on this issue.

But I wanted to follow up on another issue that is referenced above...

Do you think the ships respond to physical contact (bumping into each other) in a manner that reflects their supposed weight?

It seems like I get bumped around more than I bump other people with I race with my AGS...

Lion
15th January 2008, 05:05 AM
I never thought about that till now, but I think their relative weight does make a difference. ag vs ag seems we bounce off each other. but when I've been either piranha or eg-x I've essentially steamrolled ag-sys or assegai players that I've collided with

Frances_Penfold
15th January 2008, 05:26 AM
Yes, exactly-- I race almost exclusively as AGS, and when I get into a pack racing situation, perhaps going into a corner, Triakis in particular just punches me out of the way-- or so it feels.

I don't really mind, it probably makes sense that heavier ships would have the advantage in close-quarters, but I have wondered if I am just crazy or imagining things ;)

Au_Xtr3me
15th January 2008, 10:12 AM
Weight was a concept I saw on the internet somewhere, but as for ships ramming into you, I think that the AI's get a special advantage over you. Just like in single player, your ship can reach it's top speed whilst AI appear to be limited.

After doing a little bit more of EG-X testing, I found, that racing EG-X in speed lap and time trial at Rapier and Phantom, will IMPROVE your ability to fly with AG-Sys :eek ... at least for me that is.

Typhy
15th January 2008, 04:46 PM
Shielding is only of concern if you are frequently finding yourself with very low energy levels at the end of every race, and if that's the case it's probably down to you ramming the side walls too often or attempting too many barrel rolls. Being hit by an unlucky weapons combo in a short space of time is an unlikely event, but would cause serious damage to any ship, no matter the shield levels.

My point is that if you learn to race at the faster classes without doing yourself a load of crash damage, the odds of you getting eliminated are pretty minimal and nothing a few absorbs can't fix (providing they don't cost you the race!).

As an EG-X racer myself, and semi-proficient pilot, I have only really found the need for frantic absorbing in the phantom speed class and on challenging circuits. Otherwise, I enjoy the face that EG-X does have the joint highest combined stats for speed/acceleration (together with icaras). Besides, is the old saying not that once you've mastered the air brakes the handling stat becomes almost negligable?

Typhy

KIGO1987
22nd June 2008, 09:39 AM
Im a Goteki pilot in most faster classes. My next best ship is EG-X. I use this ship as an alternative to Goteki cause it one faster and two dosent have over sensative steering. Its not a underclassed ship at all. My race record at De Konstruct White phantom speakes for itself.

Rapier Racer
24th June 2008, 04:48 PM
There has to be a weight thing in there somewhere, I consistently come off worse in a collision situation, same in Pure, playing Arnaud last week there was a lot of him bashing into my Assegai with the Goteki particularly at the start of the race killing my momentum instantly or sending me into the wall if it happened during a corner in the race.

But hey this is one small flaw in an otherwise perfect ship :g

RJ O'Connell
28th June 2008, 05:47 PM
The EG-X ship actually has the most comfortable handling of any of the ships in game, IMHO. Sure, the AG Systems is more agile and accelerates out of corners just as fast, but it can feel TOO twitchy on occasion, like all the other ships with a high handling rating.

Karelmanz
7th July 2008, 08:12 AM
I always race with EG-X, maybe I should try another one for now :)

Vincent_VII
10th July 2008, 05:55 PM
I don't care for the EG-X. It feels "too" balanced for my racing style. I find myself gravitating toward the AG-Systems or Qirex - from one extreme to the other.

JABBERJAW
10th July 2008, 07:16 PM
EGX plays very well, just as good as ag on my tests on vertica, well .05 behind. But that was my first test ship, and it was not a perfect run.

Rapier Racer
10th July 2008, 09:16 PM
I did not like it when I tried it. Feels like it is missing something, it also looks like it got squashed between a couple of Triakis.

RJ O'Connell
10th July 2008, 10:20 PM
How can that be when there's only one ship per team on the grid? ;) I always thought it looked like a much more aggressive FEISAR...

Rapier Racer
11th July 2008, 06:17 PM
Triakis were cheating, just like they did last time :p Old habits die hard and all that.

KIGO1987
11th July 2008, 07:27 PM
I always thought it looked like a much more aggressive FEISAR...

It does look like FEISAR (European Union) ship alot. Maybe EGX (Finland/China) ship shares the same chassis as the FEISAR ships. Saw some Chinese cars in a mag an i could clearly sees it was a borrowed platform of the Mercedes-Benz range i think it was a CL, well this chinese car had the same chassis, shape, engine except it was badged differently. Same applies here with the EGX/FEISAR ship... except in real life the european variant would have to abide Euro emmisions while the chinese variant wouldnt give a fly fk. Look at the skies in Beijing.

The EGX is a good ship. You just have to pilot is properly.

JABBERJAW
11th July 2008, 07:35 PM
check the vertica times choose all records time trial race time, and you will see what I mean by .05 behind