PDA

View Full Version : Track analysis.

Mad-Ice
13th January 2008, 09:27 PM
Now that I have finished the game and that I have around 20 hours of online experience, I thought it is about time for me to discuss the tracks that are in Pulse.

I will talk about all the tracks in phantom speed.

Talon's Junction White and Black:

They both work for me just fine. I think they are great tracks to begin the game with and they keep on being interesting. They are very simple but challenging to find the perfect racingline.

Moa Therma White:

This track layout is superb except for the curve after the mag-strip section. I think it is almost random for your ship to go up in the air. You loose a lot of time and this curve is getting the speed and flow out of the track. I think it doesn't suite the physics of the game.

Moa Therma Black:

In this direction this curve is working very well, so here I think this track is superb. Fast turns, long straights, and challenging chicanes.

Metropia White:

This track is fun except for the first jump where your ship is uncertain to go up or not. I think this jump shouldn't be there, it is getting the flow out of this track.

Metropia Black:

This track is beautifully designed up onto the last jump. This track can also not handle the speed of the ship. Especially if you do a BR and another. I think if we are able to BR, the track should allow us to keep our speed in a nice flow and not that the track is able to flip us on the side or throws us up into the air.

Arc Prime White and Black:

I am just in love with these tracks. Eventhough there are many many BR's, these tracks can handle the speed and they are able to keep the flow alive. It is a thrill to fly them. It has got a rhythem that reminds me of Burgertown and boy do I love that track.

The Konstruct White:

I am not fond of this track. It has got it's really nice parts. Especially, the section after the magstrip. Very nice chicanes and then you can choose between the mag-strip or not. But the turn after the starting grid onto the mag-strip is just too floathy.

The Konstruct Black:

A skillcut which you are not allowed to enter at full speed because you will gain too much height. The mag-strip itself doesn't really lock you on very well. Furthermore, the track hasn't really got a lot to offer.

Tech Da Ra White and Black:

These tracks are very fast with open sections, which are very tricky and fun. These tracks got a nice flow and rhythem. Long curves and tricky narrow chicanes and open turns.

The Amphiseum White:

The track with one of the longest straights for big fights and overtaking, combined with challenging turns. The last jump before the finish should have been a magstrip down, because the speed you will have coming down with or without a BR is too high to go into the next turn to the left. So I think this track section is not built for the speed we can gain to keep our flow.

The Amphiseum Black:

Here is where we see the mag-strip down, problem solved. This version is just awesome for all the things I mentioned in White and more.

Fort Gale White and Black:

Eventhough there are some other sections between them I mention them together. For they are great. Chicanes to worry about how to take them the fastest and long straights to worry about not getting shot. Both got one turn which is too floathy for my taste. Chenghou like but far less manageble. I would have like to see a more smooth banked curve which is able to be taken with full speed.

Basilico White:

Very small, tricky but fast track. This one got rhythem is challenging all the time and every inch should be taken with precaution.

Basilico Black:

A little longer then the White version. I have to get used to the mag-strip section but it is a very nice and dark, fast track.

Platinum Rush White and Black:

Eventhough these tracks look amazing, they are not amazing to fly. Just too floathy for my taste. More airtime then tracktime. If these tracks were just far more bigger with longer curves, these tracks would be able to handle the speed.

Vertica White and Black:

Wauw, these are so fast and cool to fly.

Outpost 7 White and Black:

Again a skillcut which is not really a skillcut. It is just a brigde blocking the way. It is not giving you the reward it should be given. It is not faster!!! Anyhow, these tracks are challenging especially with the two V-turns. It really takes awhile to get the rhythem of these tracks. You have to concentrate every millisecond. There are so many different turns to master and they are really pushing you to fly it perfectly. The most challenging tracks upto now.

lunar
13th January 2008, 09:54 PM
It has got a rhythem that reminds me of Burgertown and boy do I love that track.

Amazing, I posted the same comparison a while ago in another thread. It`s so true, except that Arc Prime doesn`t have jumping sausages so can never be quite as good ;)

I think I like the floaty stuff more than you do - I love Platinum Rush for the reasons you don`t, I think.

great post, I`ll do the same when I get to the end of the road. :D

phl0w
14th January 2008, 09:37 AM
Good analysis, especially pointing out the many flaws the track suffer from on Phantom. There are way too many bumps/ camber in some of the longer curves, so your ship is sent off flying (you mentioned them: Platinum, Amphi White, Metropia, Moa White). I don't know how you guys wipeout, but I only play on Phantom. Throughout the series I always thought of the lower classes as "practice" or duty one has to go through to get authorization of some sort to play the game the way it is meant to be played, i.e. on Phantom. I miss that in Pulse. Many of the tracks work very good on Flash and Rapier but lose their flow on Phantom. So, is it just me or did Wipeout lose that "yeah, the slower classes are there, but you know, you're actually supposed to play the whole thing on Phantom" - approach?

Mad-Ice
14th January 2008, 09:57 AM
Hi Lunar,

that really is amazing!! Where did you posted about this comparison with Burgertown? Indeed we are the fanclub. Burgertown for life!:hyper

About Platinum Rush. Did you already flew it on phantom? The white one is better, in terms of handling of the ships. The black one really give you too much height I think. I am able to BR in turns because of this height. I will do this because of better race times but I don't think it suits this track. Can you explain to me how you are flying this track and why you really like this floathyness?!

At phl0w: So, is it just me or did Wipeout lose that "yeah, the slower classes are there, but you know, you're actually supposed to play the whole thing on Phantom" - approach? This is what I meant with tracks not able to handle the speed we are gaining and wanting to be able to keep the flow! I totally agree with what you say on this one.

Dogg Thang
14th January 2008, 09:59 AM
While they go hand in hand, I wouldn't so much lay the Phantom blame on the tracks so much as on the physics. While in real life things go a bit crazy at higher speeds, in the early WO games, the higher speed classes worked pretty much like the lower speed classes only faster. In complicating the physics of the more modern WO games, it has allowed things to break a bit on the higher classes.

I do feel this is less of a problem in Pulse than it was in Pure. Pure felt to me like it was designed for Flash and I didn't really enjoy racing on Phantom, even thought I loved the speed. Pulse feels better in Phantom, though it's still a bit crazy.

Edit: Just to clarify on that, I mean I'd far rather see the physics sorted than see the tracks go all smooth and rollercoastery.

Mad-Ice
14th January 2008, 10:21 AM
Indeed they go hand in hand and therefore, physics and track design combined should allow us to keep our speed and flow in phantom.

What you said here Dogg:
In the early WO games, the higher speed classes worked pretty much like the lower speed classes only faster. In complicating the physics of the more modern WO games, it has allowed things to break a bit on the higher classes.

I totally agree on this one, but I think it unfortunate that this has happend!

What you said here Dogg:
Pulse feels better in Phantom, though it's still a bit crazy.

I also agree on this one. Phantom is okay to be crazy, but in terms of speed and use of airbrakes to be able to handle your ship in really difficult turns and chicanes, on topspeed. So that you will be able to keep the speed in your flow and not going up into the air and loose speed or flip on your side!

Dogg Thang
14th January 2008, 10:32 AM
The part I guess I'd disagree with is that you should be able to do a track at top speed. The brakes are there for a reason and you can let go of the accelerator. I have no problem with tracks that require care as well as speed. It then becomes about strategy - how fast can I risk taking this corner at?

phl0w
14th January 2008, 10:52 AM
But that's not what WO is about. It was always about finding a line on Phantom where your speed didn't drop too much from airbraking, and not thinking about whether a corner requires 50%, 75% or 98.9% throttle, but keep your concentration up to actually clear bends at the highest speed possible. You have to find a racing line that enables you to do so, and it's not as if good times come easy, because you don't have to let go of the accelerator, right? That was true for Pure too, contrary to your statement, I think Pure's tracks worked best on Phantom. Pulse, though, features quite a few corners that don't have such a line, thus require you to release the accelerator. And that, I will not take :naughty So I'm spending quite some time on finding ways to take bends like the one on Outpost7 or Fort Gale at full pelt, to no avail so far but who knows what lines people come up with in the future.

Dogg Thang
14th January 2008, 11:25 AM
Well I'd argue WO isn't about smooth tracks either. That's pretty much what happened in Fusion and I found it dull. I don't know if you were able to take Rapier Silverstream at full speed throughout (I couldn't) but I'd be pretty sure, if you could, that it took you a long time.

Ultimately, I think this is a physics issue. Smoothing off all the tracks is fixing what's not broken to cover up what just might be.

Mad-Ice
14th January 2008, 11:42 AM
Mmmm, I guess I wasn't really clear with this; Phantom is okay to be crazy, but in terms of speed and use of airbrakes to be able to handle your ship in really difficult turns and chicanes, on topspeed. (Edit: With the aid of airbrakes) So that your ship isn't going into the air nose-up or flips on the side.

The main reason why I started this thread is because; I want to know from you all which tracks you like and which you don't like with arguments.

Looking forward to read all your opinions.

Chrono
14th January 2008, 12:07 PM
I think the tracks are a tad to crazy in Phantom, considering how differnt on slower levels.

As far as Platinum Rush White, I think is one of the best laid out tracks in the game. However, as the whole game was built around mag strips (as all tracks have them), Plat Rush does not. If I'm not mistaken (and I may), I don't think there is a single mag strip on the whole track. That's why it gets a little nuts.

I think Plat Rush Black is rubbish.

Oh yea, Vertica White is my favorite track in the game

Purp]=]
14th January 2008, 12:19 PM
outpost 7 Is Awsome So Tricky But Fun When You Are Using Feisar

Flashback Jack
14th January 2008, 01:38 PM
Guh.

Adding to the thread, however, while Basilico may be the shortest run of the lot, I quite think it flows well for a track of its (lack of) size.

- F

Stardragon88
14th January 2008, 01:51 PM
I quite like Basilico as well, but I've still yet to get those last few turns after the drop in Basilico Black. The lighting there is oddly dark and, especially if you choose to BR before, makes it hard finding the correct line through without smashing into one of the walls.

Also in Basilico Black, the apex of the inner curve at the turn leading into the twisty mag strip section. It seems to blend in pretty well with the track, like camouflage of sorts. Many a time I've turned left too early, only to scrape it and lose time.

I also agree that Platinum Rush Black is kind of odd at Phantom. I find myself often fighting to get the craft back on the ground. On another note, both Metropias and Vertica White are my personal favourites.

ZenDJiNN
14th January 2008, 05:25 PM
As a relative newcomer to WipeOut (Having only started with Pure) i feel that the tracks are fine for the lower classes, even up to say Rapier (Which i can just about cope with on most tracks) but could do with perhaps "Extending" (ie: making some sections longer perhaps and maybe even making some of the bends & turns "Flow" better) for the Phantom class. Outpost 7 is hard enough (for me anyway) on flash, but forget it on Phantom. :)

On the whole, at the moment i find the Phantom class a bit bonkers anyway, and too fast to do anything but "Hang on until the end" and hope for a placing. But maybe as i get better i'll see things in a more "Phantomesque" way! :g

Great thread though..... i love to read other people's experiences about Wipeout, especially the "Long Time" players that have been through many different incarnations of WIpeout.

phl0w
15th January 2008, 08:24 AM
@DoggThang and Mad-Ice: let's not confuse topspeed and full throttle! What Mad-Ice and I are argumenting about is, that WO tracks should be built to be taken at full throttle. Of course it gets crazy on Phantom and requires perfect usage of airbraking and sideshifting, and I don't care if it takes endless hours of practicing, but it should at least be possible physics-wise. And there are quite some bends in Pulse that don't allow for that. That's all I was saying.
I think that's what Mad-Ice was saying, too, but he referred to it by using the term "topspeed".

And btw: Arc Prime doesn't feature Mag-Strips either and both runs are most probably the best tracks in Pulse. They have that old WO feeling, let you BR on obvious places not were it shouldn't be possible like on Platinum, Tech de Ra et cet., and flow very well on Phantom. Very technical and lots of different lines on Phantom without interrupting your flow make this the best designed tracks imo.
Basilico White, Vertica White and Metropia White are my favourite "speed runs". It's just thrusting through the tracks, leaving the steering alone most of the time to clock a low time.
Platinum Rush lost it somehow, I really liked the track but on Phantom it just doesn't "click" and ships' behaviour gets very weird.

And DoggThang, you're right: I can't race Rapier Silverstream full throttle, at least not on my PSP. Can't remember though, what it was like with the neggie on my PSX. :o

Lion
15th January 2008, 09:14 AM
What Mad-Ice and I are argumenting about is, that WO tracks should be built to be taken at full throttle.No racetrack should be entirely able to be run with the throttle held wide open. it's great for some of the faster tracks in the wipeout series, but the fact that some corners require backing off the accellerator is a good thing to me. there's only 3 bends (6 if you take black/white into account) I can think of in the whole of pulse that need it - and one of those only in certain ships - but they add to the whole game by being there.

G'Kyl
15th January 2008, 09:36 AM
Yep, I too like the fact that lifting your finger off the throttle is needed in a few instances. However great the full-throttle experience is (awesome! :) ), having to slow down gives the game a more believable touch. After all, controlling your speed is at the core of ANY racing series, even NASCAR, so yes, I'd like to see more of that in future WipEouts!

Ben

Au_Xtr3me
15th January 2008, 10:32 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Outpost 7. It is unfortunately torture at phantom with the ramming and smashing into walls. However, the best joy is nailing the "double V" turns, quickly and precisely. :nod

with the full throttle part; if you had a speed class way faster than Phantom, like Zen, you would force players to slow down at sharper turns because of reflexes, handling, speed, etc.

Dogg Thang
15th January 2008, 10:36 AM
What I love about the extreme turns in Outpost 7 is that the turn process gives you a glimpse around the corner you just came through. There's nothing better than being first, making that turn and seeing nobody behind you.

Stardragon88
15th January 2008, 10:49 AM
Aye, it's a little like the satisfaction of dropping a bomb and seeing that telltale 'flash' around your HUD ;)

That said, the different sections of Outpost 7 don't seem to meld very well, imo. Often I'd leave the V sections and find myself on a completely inefficient approach line for that twisty section before the bridge (after, on Black).

In such cases there's not much to do but practice till you get it 'right'.

Mad-Ice
15th January 2008, 01:53 PM
I totally agree with your last post phl0w. I think we are on the same wave here!!! Also thanks for giving good arguments why you like or dislike tracks!!

This is exactly what I think is interesting to read from all of you. So thanks for your opinions about the tracks: Au_Xtr3me, Dogg Thang, Stardragon88

Looking forward to read more.

lunar
15th January 2008, 02:34 PM
the fact that some corners require backing off the accellerator is a good thing to me.....they add to the whole game by being there.

I agree totally, and with what Gkyl says.

About Platinum Rush. Can you explain to me how you are flying this track and why you really like this floathyness?!

I`m not sure if I can, but after giving it some thought I`ll try. Make yourself a strong cup of coffee and pull up a chair. :D

Possibly my favourite aspect of Pure was the wobbling, floating, rolling and general unpredictability you would get on certain sections of track due to the little altitude changes and cambers. These track contours were so subtle you couldn`t be completely confident that you always knew what the ship would do. Once you got to Rapier class it made the game exciting and it felt on the edge - I`m thinking of the main straight of Vineta K, the long downhill of Sebenco Climb, some parts of Staten Park, Iridia and other places. It just made me go wow the first few times I raced Sebenco Climb on Phantom. Constant little control inputs were required due to these track features - you were reacting to new sensations and possible disasters all the time, and you could fly a hundred laps of some of these tracks and not do the same one twice. It kept you on the seat of your pants all the time – the ship is dipping to the left – do something. Now it wants to take off – do something! It was partly due to the irregular contours of the track surface and was great fun. I think Platinum Rush really captures this and just gets better and better the higher the speed class. First time I flew the White Run I thought - this is a Pure track. The way it is designed really makes you really feel the gravity, and feel the weight of your ship. I never really liked 123Klan very much, because it was too flat, steady, smooth and predictable for my taste. It didn`t feel floaty at all and so felt a bit boring to me.

While Pulse ships are floatier, the old wobble and float experience of Pure has been taken out somewhat due to track design, but we have tracks for all tastes and that`s a great thing. Corners and dips like we see on Platinum Rush, the floaty one on Fort Gale and the end of Moa Therma could annoy people, but are so satisfying when you nail them. I think it`s great that we can still end up heading for the scenery or even be over on our roofs if we get it wrong or react too slowly. First time I tipped upside down in Pulse I thought “this game rocks.” I think if you took out the floaty, unpredictable nature completely you would end up with Fusion. Moments like this really make us feel that we are in flying machines and not cars. Wipeout 1 is all about being on the edge of disaster in an almost uncontrollable flying machine - try Qirex on Firestar and you`ll see what I mean. If we don`t have moments like Platinum Rush gives us, and floaty moments like we have throughout the game, then we risk turning it into just another driving game.

The black run of Platinum Rush is a lot nastier of course, but it`s really just an extreme version of the white. You can think of the white as Karbonis (the real Karbonis) and the black as Silverstream. Like Silverstream it uses the summits to trick you into going off course. Changing height and turning at the same time is a classic part of WipEout and it lives on in Pulse. Citta Nuova took that and the whole uneven track thing way too far for a game that didn`t support negcons, though, and I`m glad we don`t have one like that.

Sort of changing subject, Vertica is just a flat out speed run with no floating or wobbling at all, and is the absolute opposite of Platinum Rush, but is also just so amazing and has the greatest speed pad placement – all those split up triples – woohoo. It`s like Fusion done well ;)

I really think that SL and Colin are great at taking a balanced approach to designing these games - there`s something for everyone and all tastes. Now, for me, they only have to remove barrel rolls and give us a few more old school tracks like Platinum Rush.

phl0w
15th January 2008, 08:03 PM
I second that, especially that last sentence of removing BR altogether. Platinum Rush does feel "oldschool" (even if it reminds of Pure ;) ). Same as Arc Prime for me.
I liked the way Pure's camber effected the ships constantly either, probably the best of its physics, and guess what, I was really disappointed, when I played Pulse on Rapier and Phantom for the first time and didn't have to constantly correct my line because the straight was dipping or a bend threw a massive camber at you (Modesto, anyone?). Now you have to worry your ship doesn't flip over in bends because the physics can't handle the velocity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far it doesn't seem a "feature" to me, but simply some unfortunate results in calculations on Phantom that lead to that kind of behaviour. Like the mentioned first bend on Amphi White when BR-ing down the ledge (and who wouldn't?), or the last curve on Platinum Rush, Fort Gale, and Moa Therma.

On a different note: Did you notice that there are some places on tracks where you are stopped dead when hitting a wall in an unfortunate angle but a split second later will race on just as fast as you were when you rammed that wall, nasty clipping occurs too at such situations.

Flashback Jack
15th January 2008, 08:33 PM
Did you notice that there are some places on tracks where you are stopped dead when hitting a wall in an unfortunate angle but a split second later will race on just as fast as you were when you rammed that wall, nasty clipping occurs too at such situations.

There's a certain track whereby the above is necessary to secure the fastest possible time, mostly due to the transitional oddity at a certain section of it. One of my Rapier records utilized this to the utmost degree. Part o' de game I say, but I'm betting you have the same track in mind when you say the above.

- F

zargz
15th January 2008, 09:20 PM
The Secrecy!!! http://geocities.com/zargz/leenden/ninja2.gif

KANDANG
15th January 2008, 09:32 PM
One of my Rapier records utilized this to the utmost degree.

haha think i know which one! :naughty

moa therma white?

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 06:29 AM
Ha ha:D KANDANG I beat your record on Vertica Black... I feel special :blarg

What makes it more special is I'm not as superhumanly good as you :nod

Dogg Thang
16th January 2008, 07:38 AM
These little gameplay 'quirks' can take away from an otherwise great track. I'll try not to derail it this time and and will bring it back to the tracks themselves but having to exploit what is effectively a bug (okay you can call it part of the game or a 'feature' if you like but it doesn't seem deliberate or have reason to it) to reach Jack's time could frustrate and seem wrong.

Platinum Rush is a really good example of how it can be perceived differently and have game features work against the track. For me, how the craft react to that track on Phantom make it a slightly chaotic track. Especially given the amount of (for me) slightly unexpected barrel roll opportunities. Every now and again, I can just seemingly bounce off the track and get a barrel roll (sometimes without me actually wanting to).

For me, that little bit of chaos takes away from the track a little bit. I'm no fantastic Wiper by a long shot but I think, if I were, that would bug me. Because you could just get lucky and hit a certain number of bounces, barrel roll to the edge of your shields and get a great time. But one slight hiccup in that (and the physics being what they are, I can see it being almost random chance sometimes even if the skill level is fantastic), and you won't reach that time again.

But, as Lunar and Pl0w say, Platinum Rush White has a great old school feel. I absolutely adore the layout of the track - it's initially really challenging and seems so tough but can be learned, tamed and mastered with practise. I also love the look by the way. It reminds me a little of Phenetia Park. So, for me, someone who is looking to just race the track well and come first and not nessesarily have to compete with the Kandangs of this world, it's a great track.

But I can't help feeling, if barrel rolls were removed (I think it's safe to say that most people really wouldn't miss them and some people really want them gone) and the physics were nailed down just that bit more at higher classes, that Platinum Rush would be a fantastic track for everyone and a great competitive track. It could easily sit with the WO greats.

KANDANG
16th January 2008, 07:56 AM
Ha ha:D KANDANG I beat your record on Vertica Black... I feel special :blarg

What makes it more special is I'm not as superhumanly good as you :nod

good job! however i'm not competing on speed lap, only TT :dizzy

but then again i'll just come back and beat you to it. :D

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 11:47 AM
Oh I heard a public service announcement just recently on the message boards:

"Could all WipEout Pulse players with a profile name starting in K and ending in G and the letters A, N, and D in between, please discontinue use of their or anyone else's Playstation Portable and their copy of WipEout Pulse until further notice. Thank you for cooperating."

Gee y'know that sounds preeetty important... :lol

phl0w
16th January 2008, 11:52 AM
Exactly, DoggThang. That's what I complain so much about. The randomness of how ships behave sometimes. One lap you're glued to the track and the other you bounce off it. Now without the BR mechanic that wouldn't be half as bad as it is now. Sometimes I feel a top time is not earned because I was lucky enough to get some airtime- BR in the process AND somehow managed to clear the following turn to clock a low time (not even a PL), beating my old clean, well raced time by more than half a second.
Alos, often enough those "bumps" are not even over the whole width of a track but just a small spot, that, if hit, sends you high enough to do a BR.

@Au_Xtr3me: As much as I understand your enthusiasm, I'd like to remind you that 99% of ranked times as of now were achieved by giving a track a shot, say 50 laps, without any thought-out strategy whatsoever. The really good times are usually the ones posted in a Challenge thread and much better are to come when "some" people here start trying ;)

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 12:07 PM
Now that is the smartest thing I've heard this year.:beer

Though I must add, when someone consistently sets ridiculously fast records AND Zones in particularly then you know that:

a. someone thoroughly knows their tracks

b. can maneuver those tracks quickly

c. plays a lot of WipEout Pulse :hyper or pure, fusion, Wip3out, 64, XL/2097, and/or wipeout

P.S. which section can I find challenges? (don't flame me for not looking at the obvious)

Edit: oh riiiight its in the Arena section :brickwall

Flashback Jack
16th January 2008, 01:41 PM
haha think i know which one! :naughty

moa therma white?

No sir, not that one. :)

- F

KANDANG
16th January 2008, 02:16 PM
oh then which map? cos that's the only one on rapier which was hard to beat your time.

:banzai

zargz
16th January 2008, 02:33 PM
map?!

not track? :eek

Flashback Jack
16th January 2008, 03:02 PM
oh then which map? cos that's the only one on rapier which was hard to beat your time.

If I told you how I set my Moa time, well, you'll just head back and smoke that one too. Just know that I didn't exploit any bugs or use any underhanded tactics to achieve it. The reigning fastest lap set by Inasor (speed lap) is possible, even though it's at least a tenth faster than my own. :)

- F

KANDANG
16th January 2008, 03:42 PM
haha it's ok, it's only rapier..but i'll get it soon when I try again! only got it to 0.20 behind you for speedlap

i got your fave arc prime white tho heehee :D

but back to the question first commented by phl0w, where does that clipping thing happen for you to get the "One of my Rapier records utilized this to the utmost degree." haven't really seen that around.

Asayyeah
16th January 2008, 08:01 PM
Interesting...

Seems minding/mentalities have recently changed , not sharing tips & techniques for Pulse.

Matter of ego(s) answered the echo...
nvm

By giving a hand to MadIce and others who wants to take part of it, we gonna help those who wants to know how to master pulse. Like we did years ago for the other wipeouts.

Flashback Jack
16th January 2008, 09:55 PM
Wow, but okay.

Fact is, I highly respect Kandang for his unrelenting effort at continually answering my attack on the record tables.

The above characterization is rather hasty, in my opinion. I've said it countless times before in my Hyperlap Attack threads -- whoever goes fastest goes fastest, and that going fastest boils down to simple conviction. Sheer and unrelenting willpower (with a dash of luck) wins battles virtually every time, much less technique, as varying as they tend to be among racers. That thought has been the primary reason date that I've been so forthcoming with details, and let me assure you this has not changed.

Regardless of anyone's approach, I remain undaunted knowing that what's achievable by one set of human hands is achievable by mine. I never defeat myself -- ever. I create no gods. Genius to me is a matter of effort -- no more and no less.

If you all want to know my techniques, I have zero reluctance in sharing them, but allow me for my own reasons to analyze my competition's approaches before I hand out my findings. I'm in it to learn as much about your approach as you are mine.

- F

Asayyeah
16th January 2008, 10:18 PM
I have zero reluctance in sharing them- F
This is simply what i wanted to hear. :)
Thx Mike

phl0w
17th January 2008, 08:24 AM
KANDANG: There's so many places on different tracks, I can't by any stretch of imagination remember which and where, and what specific track Jack meant.

Like Asa, I am not too fond of WO's becoming some sort of esotericism either, especially when a killer laptime was achieved by "exploiting" some glitch or leak in the game's physics, sportsmanship demands to explain the "special" circumstances under which that laptime can be achieved by others. Progress can only take place if people share their individual findings and as much as it's satisfying to see ones own name on top of the tables, however, the much greater fulfilment lies in beating the tracks and approaching that magic theoretic lowest time possible inherent to each of them. At the end of the day you're competing against noone but the track and yourself. That way there's no winner- ever, unless you stop trying one day (it won't be you, then). I think that's what Jack meant. He's reluctant with sharing his techniues when he feels that someone just "abuses" them just to be on top of the tables, while anyone is able to be on top knowing the required techniques and willing to put enough effort into it, instead of beating the real opponents:the track and physics.

which section can I find challenges?
In the Arena section of the boards. As of now only the "official" Challenge is held. It's called "Sweet Weekly Pulse Challenge", features a new track every week (Sun-Sun), strategies shared, points scored, WO "deconstructed".

Mad-Ice
17th January 2008, 11:14 AM
A big thanks to Lunar for sharing his thoughts of the tracks. Especially Platinum Rush, the way that you are describing it is so good. I really have to think about all what you said some more.

The irregular tracks in Pure with bumpy sections and cambers and all the other stuff that makes it hard to get the same lap twice is what makes Pure so good. I agree totally on this one. This reminds me of some few laps I did on Pulse; it is so easy compared to Pure to make the same lap two or even three times. I feel it is far easier to master Pulse then Pure. Not saying that I have the feeling I already mastered Pulse, but with only two and a half hours of practise on a track and coming up with a very fast first lap and all the other 4 laps around the same time with a difference of only less then 0.2 seconds is strange. I mean races like these with those times were only possible with a lot and I mean a lot of practise on Pure.

I hope this thread will be used for analysis and not telling the others how good they are and that they have beaten the previous records.

il_NIK
17th January 2008, 11:49 AM
Thanks to all mates and especially thanks to Mad-Ice for give us this thread.

I will post here my minds about the tracks just when my abilities grow up from zero to 7 in a 10 scale. (I think I'm at 3 by now :( )

I want also remember to all users our disclaimer "let's be friends", and our way of play with several "gentleman agreement" like the honour of the stronger and faster racer to explain HOW he raced that track.

Asa was the first MASTER of a lot of us (yes, the mine for sure, thanks); without his help we don't race so fast like now.

sakerbax
17th January 2008, 12:07 PM
dude iknow i shouldn't but i can't stop laughing..

your speech reminds me of bad guys in van damme movies.

il_NIK
17th January 2008, 12:47 PM
I hope of being understood, and to improve my english ;)

infoxicated
17th January 2008, 12:50 PM
Don't you worry about it il_NIK - at least you capitalise your sentences and have always shown respect for other members here. Something sakerbax could well learn from.

Asayyeah
17th January 2008, 01:00 PM
seconded :nod

Azeris
17th January 2008, 06:29 PM
The tracks in pulse are quite well done (compared to pure which I didn't just quite like most except the download packs). As mentioned by someone else earlier, my only gripe is the "floaty" random parts in some of the tracks.

Fort Gale Black (the part after the drop, using the float to BR)
Moa Therma white/black last/first turns,
Platinum rush white is okay (despite the 2 BR opportunities given by the float), Black just takes the floating too far.

On Phantom, some of the tracks can do nasty things such as ship overturning or somehow flipping on the side for a few seconds before repositoning. (Ampheisum / Fort Gale / Basilico black / Platinum rush). Really weird somehow, and very random.

rdmx
18th January 2008, 12:49 AM
Heck, I've flipped my ship on De Konstruct White while online :dizzy
I think thats more of me playing crap though, I was going for a BR on the split mag strip and something went wrong such that my AG-Sys was on its roof.

Hyper Shadow
18th January 2008, 08:22 PM
I've done exactly the same thing, AG-SYS but on Platinum Rush, messed my line up completely, ended up boosting with my nose pointing downwards before slowly falling onto its roof.

Chrono
21st January 2008, 12:09 AM
The worst "floatly" zone is one the very beginning and end of Fort Gale Black. However, they are almost tolerable because they are difficult to abuse with a BR. The "floatly" areas, where you just might if you really practice it rightbe able to BR, are abusing a broken mechanic like the BR.

Au_Xtr3me
21st January 2008, 01:57 AM
The second last turn of Fort Gale Black and the second turn of white REALLY needs a mag lock, as well as the twisty end on Moa Therma Black. :blarg

Mad-Ice
21st January 2008, 10:22 AM
Outpost 7 Black

The most challenging and tricky track of Pulse. After some practise I found a rhythem and a flow. At the starting grid just steer with the D-pad through the small sections with the two speedpads, then keep pressing right and tap your right airbrake a little so you will hit the next speedpad. Sideshift right when you hit the speedpad. After this be sure to take the left side next to the bridge. Keep pressing left until you see a straight line all over to the next left side of the bridge. Hit your turbo here and BR when you get enough height on the bump next to the end of the bridge. Now you have to press right very hard together with right airbrake, keep pressing these together until you will find your line straight open for the next little straight before the chicanes. Here you will have to press left and airbrake left to find your line straight through the chicane. If you find the perfect line you will be able to hit all the speedpads on your way through the chicane. Also when you fly through this chicane you will have to tap very shortly in a rhythem on your airbrakes; right, left, right. The last right airbrake should be somewhat longer to be able to enter the sweeping curve to the left up into the V-turn. Be sure to press a little bit on the left airbrake so you will be on the left side when releasing the accelerator and pressing hard to the right and the right airbrake. Try to cut this V-turn as close as possible. Hit accelerator again and speedpad, sideshift to the right and tap to the right, do not hit speedpad here, release accelerator again press left hard together with left airbrake, hit accelerator and sideshift to the left. Now the final turns. After coming out of the V-turns press hard to the right, sideshift on the speedpad together with long airbrake to the right untill you are able to see the most tricky end section in Pulse. (that reminds me of Odessa Keys 2097) You will see the speedpad that you will have to hit together with a sideshift to the left and steer to the left, then press right and airbrake long and hard to the right, sideshift to the right and on to the finish with the last speedpad on the right.

In Pulse it is much more important to use airbrakes instead of sidshifts in Pure.

Good luck in finding this rhythem. With practise you will know exactly how long to press the d-pad together with the airbrakes to find the next straight racing line or to set yourself up for the next set of turns.

phl0w
21st January 2008, 10:43 AM
It's pretty much the line I take. But I'd add- to an otherwise very good analysis- that ships like the Piranha need another technique to meet that line. For example, a Piranha on Phantom can't "just steer with the D-pad through the small section". There you'd want to apply some airbrakes or approach the S from the left, align your ship in a way that it points to the right and do a very quick sideshift to the left, while countersteering to the right, because of Pulse's improved sideshift distance (a Piranha sideshifts the whole width of a track on Phantom, which makes the sideshift, as you mentioned, not as effective as in Pure).

REALLY needs a mag lock, as well as the twisty end on Moa Therma Black.
Would you care to elaborate, why that rather easy and flat section needs a mag lock?

Chrono
21st January 2008, 12:24 PM
The first turn in Moa Therma Black could use some magnitism, but now we're just getting nit pickey =P. When an entire game is built around a system, like mag strips, I assume it's difficult to balance every turn. If any of these tracks do make it into HD, I'm sure they'll be fixed

lunar
21st January 2008, 01:03 PM
sorry, but if they start sticking mag strips everywhere the ship starts floating then it becomes F-Zero, or, even worse, Wipeout Fusion. The problem is the Barrel Roll and the effect this has on gameplay, not the floating that allows the BR opportunity. Floating, flying, and dealing with those matters is Wipeout and has been since Korodera. That last turn of Fort Gale Black is a challenge, a test of control and nerve in multiplayer. Without that sort of thing we might as well have wheels, imo.

release accelerator

:eek I didn`t think I would ever hear those words from the mouth of the mad bad pad man, the one who doesn`t even release x on Citta Nuova! ;) Anyway, great track guide, Matthijs. I can`t comment as my profile tells me I`ve only done 12 laps of this one.

Mad-Ice
21st January 2008, 01:37 PM
LMAO!! Yeah you are right!! Pulse is a different story though! Even Fort Gale and Platinum Rush are tracks where I release the accelerator!!

Stardragon88
21st January 2008, 02:16 PM
Haha, that's true. I find releasing the accelerator more helpful than not in sections of Platinum Rush Black and, of course, Outpost 7. Almost feels like an autopilot when you nail those tricky turns ;)

infoxicated
21st January 2008, 03:06 PM
It's interesting that folk have suggested places where Mag-Lock should have been used. I had a few races on de Konstruct Black at the weekend where I took the high road (naturally, as a Scotsman) only to bounce upon landing then slide off track to the right due to the open sided curve.

I kept thinking "man, that corner should have a mag-strip.", but on reflection that kind of safety net has never been part of WipEout. What I loved about the floatyness of WipEout 3 was having to deal with severe altitude change - pitching the nose down to prevent the ship from gaining too much air or up to prevent a harsh landing.

Since many of the track sections in WipEout Pulse where those skills would be required are mag-stripped, it has stifled the development of my reactions with regard to when my ship is way out of shape.

I really noticed this last week when I went back to playing W3SE for a few hours to find myself pinballing around the track, even at modest speeds, because I had become sloppy at controlling the pitch of my craft.

Although I think that mag-lock has added much more to track design than it has taken from the challenge, the knock on effect of being held to the track is quite apparent for me.

Dogg Thang
21st January 2008, 03:13 PM
I'd totally agree with that. I do like where the mag-locks are used to create something extra, something fun, like the loop on Moa Therma or a couple of the vertical drops. They wouldn't have been possible without the mag-strips. But I wouldn't like to think they'd be used as a plaster where the tracks become difficult or physics go awry.

Mag-strip sections do feel very different and I'm glad. Considering what they do, they should feel different.

I adore how they are used in Vertica. I love that track and, while I could see Moa Therma being just as fun with that loop section replaced, I think Vertica owes its fun to those mag-strips. While I'm on about Vertica, I also love the look there although, in my opinion, it suffers from something that affected Pure too - it is full of beautifully modelled scenery but the track is arranged in such a way that you really don't get to see it. It's only by crawling through the track bit by bit that I can actually appreciate just how much work went into these.

A lovely track. But I'd love if the track layout went hand in hand with the visual design to really show off those landmarks.

Chrono
21st January 2008, 03:15 PM
The way I see it, this is a practice for what's to come in the world of Wipeout. The game feels like a beta test for HD to me, but in the future, I believe the mag strip mechanic will be much more refined and balanced, cause it's here to stay. It just feels broken in this game when you go flying all around and no magstrip is there to pull you back. I believe the physics were built around the idea of mag strips. It interesting to see players realize that mag strips actually lower their top speeds, and it makes TT interesting cause of boost location (with yet another factor to take into account). I was going somewhere with this but I forgot.

Au_Xtr3me
21st January 2008, 10:21 PM
@ Phl0w: Oh right, then I must mean Moa Therma White not black (Greyscale madness :blarg); The other twisty bit where on faster classes you half flip, that's been a problem for me, and decelerating only brings a slower time.

Colin Berry
21st January 2008, 11:46 PM
When we built the Pure tracks we were very careful to try and help the player as much as possible - if a corner took the player naturally up and off track, we adjusted it, the amount of refinements made was immense, changing banking by 1 degree here or there or the start point of a curve by 1metre etc. We really were deliberately VERY meticulous in this, and tried to do it as all speeds.

When it came to Pulse and doing the tracks, Right at the start we decided to take the safety net off a little, we knew the new cage system would prevent things such as flying for miles and coming down through scenery (something WO3 for example gets away with that just isnt acceptable in games these days for various reason - fly through a cliff ! its a bug, fix it ! ). So because of the catch all cage system, we decided to be a bit looser with the design, meaning we werent going to hold the hand of the player through every bend, at times we added a mag strip or lengthened one or considered adding one, but when you do that too much, its bad. So we constantly wrestled over each decision that arose.

The 'classic' is the moa therma bend - we could have 'fixed' it so it was 'smoother' we could have magged it to make it safer, but we decided to leave it and make it something for the player to deal with - thats not to say we couldnt be bothered, but it was a conscious choice to take the guiding hand away for this section.

I think in Pure we held the hand a little too much on the track design across the speed classes, with Pulse we maybe left it off a little more than some would like, but I am glad we did. People have said to me - hey this bend doesnt work well at Phantom its really hard and my ship just flies right off, and the only real response is good, its meant to be testing at times.

That is not to say each track is pefect without flaws, there are details I'd change, there always are and always should be, but there is thought that goes into such things. I wouldnt change the corner on moa therma, I would however smooth the skillcut on DK a little.

bed time

lunar
22nd January 2008, 08:09 AM
I`m glad you left that Moa Therma corner as it is - it`s one of the most exciting bits of the game as you struggle to keep the ship balanced. The DK skill cut is nice, because you have to keep the nose down and the option of Barrel Rolling onto it is not for the faint-hearted. The other night, online, I decided to BR onto it with the help of an AP to keep me on (chicken, I know), but forgot to keep the nose down and finally did my BR several miles above the skill cut, then let the AP bring me back down to earth. It was all very unexpected and exciting, so I think letting the reins off just makes it all a lot of fun.

Dogg, I agree with your view of mag-strips. Some of them just make you go "woooh" and as far as I know that`s just what they`re for - to give the track makers new ways to make it exciting. Basilico and Vertica have great mag-strips that really work. I have to mention the three split speed pads at the end of Vertica white, they are arranged so beautifully that you just flow through that corner whooshing over them. :rock

zargz
22nd January 2008, 12:04 PM
yeh I like that moa corner - hard but exiting! 8)

omega329
26th January 2008, 08:22 PM
When we built the Pure tracks we were very careful to try and help the player as much as possible - if a corner took the player naturally up and off track, we adjusted it, the amount of refinements made was immense, changing banking by 1 degree here or there or the start point of a curve by 1metre etc. We really were deliberately VERY meticulous in this, and tried to do it as all speeds.
*cough*cittia nuova*cough*phantom*cough*
Its very annoying getting a great line through the chicane only to get a triakis billboard in your face, but great work everywhere else. I've taken corners with a freind watching and astonished him, he thought it was my piloting, it was just the design of the tracks that made me look (and feel) good:rock

Mad-Ice
14th March 2008, 10:24 AM
I just received a PM from a new member and gave him a tip for a track. I thought of copying it into this thread, because it hasn't been used for a while.

In the low speedclasses on De Konstruct almost at the end of the track you can take the left side of the track and not the right side where there is the magstrip. You have to do a Barrelroll to get extra speed. If you land your speed will give you enough height to do another BR and then superspeed towards the finishline. Serious rush there.

Oh and when you are into Phantom you have to try to get a BR in between the two magstrips. Come from the first magstrip slowly to the inside rightside of the chicane before the second magstrip on the right. When you do it correct you will get enough height to do a BR. With this boost hit the magstrip and just before the top of the magstrip hit your turbo, then do a BR in the last turn and straight to the finish with an UBER speed.

At the moment I have 100 hours of playing Pulse. My opinion about Pulse has changed, for the better, luckely!! This game is growing on me. Slowly by slowly I am beginning the understand the tracks and its' flow.

For some tracks I think it is still difficult for me to find the flow.

Nothing really has changed for me on these tracks. These are classic starter tracks with nice and easy corners.

Moa Therma White:

Now I understand more how I should take the last corner in order not to flip upside down. I try to be in the middle of the corner all the time and only steer and use airbrakes a little but especially no sideshifts, because they are deadly in this curve.

Moa Therma Black:

In this direction this curve is working very well, so here I think this track is superb. Fast turns, long straights, and challenging chicanes.

Metropia White:

First I had problems after the first jump. This has changed. Now I think the speed you gain after a BR at the second jump is too height to stay into the right flow of this track. The straight tracksection after the second jump should have been longer.

Metropia Black:

This track is beautifully designed up onto the last jump. This track can also not handle the speed of the ship. Especially if you do a BR and another. I think if we are able to BR, the track should allow us to keep our speed in a nice flow and not that the track is able to flip us on the side or throws us up into the air. This hasn't changed for me, it is still the same and I hope for HD on PS3 it will be different.

I am still in love with these tracks, one of the best designed tracks for the Pulse physics. Burgertown madness!!:+(hopes for HD version)

The Konstruct White:

I wasn't too fond of this track but now I kind of begin to like it. It isn't the most exciting track in Pulse, but it asks for an enormous skill to get all the BR's done in the chicane between the magstrips and the last BR in the curve onto the finishline.

The Konstruct Black:

A skillcut which you are not allowed to enter at full speed because you will gain too much height. The mag-strip itself doesn't really lock you on very well. Furthermore, the track hasn't really got a lot to offer. I still am not fond of this one.

These tracks are very fast with open sections, which are very tricky and fun. These tracks got a nice flow and rhythem. Long curves and tricky narrow chicanes and open turns. I still love them!

The Amphiseum White:

I still think the last jump should have been a magstrip down or the jump should give extra speed to be able to land into the turn just after the finishline, like we do in TT to get another BR and to keep our flow. Maybe a special speedpad that gives you the speed you need to land there?!

The Amphiseum Black:

Here is where we see the mag-strip down, problem solved. This version is just awesome for all the things I mentioned in White and more. Very nice, now I found another BR in the first turn to left going up, you gain enough height to be able to BR there. Most of you already know, but newcomers maybe not!

Fort Gale White and Black:

For the White version I am able to manage the first floathy turn to the right and I am able to BR there two times and keep my flow. This track is superb now. The Black version is still too floathy for my taste. I am able to do two BR in that last turn but I gain too much height even pressing down.

Basilico White:

Still the same superb track as I wrote down on page 1 of this thread.

Basilico Black:

I am used to the magstrip now and I even like this track more then I did!! Mighty rush.

My opinion changed drastically about these tracks. Now I am able to get the floathy turns with pressing the nose down of the ship and making a smooth line and keeping my speed. Now I am in love with these tracks. However I prefer the White Run over the Black run. Also the enviroment is very different from all the others.

Vertica White and Black:

Wauw, these are so fast and cool to fly.

Really cool and challenging tracks like I said before, but this bridge: what is it doing there?

After the European Wipeout Convention 2008 next weekend I will write something about the downloadable tracks. For now I think these tracks are maybe even of higher standard then the original tracks.

I am in love with Geminni Dam, these are classics with Manor Top turns in it.

Orcus has Koltiwa curves in it and they are so difficult to master, yihaa!

Edgewinter tracks are the tracks I like least of them all, at this moment.

Vostok Reef tracks are challenging with a lot of floathy Platinum Rush curves. Very nice.

This is it for now.

PS: Silverstream, Platinum Rush, next maybe Titanium Flow?

lunar
14th March 2008, 01:31 PM
Hi Mad-Ice, I`ll respond to some of your track comments in a moment, for the ones where I have something to say.

First of all I think the tracks in Pulse are very clever, but maybe lack variety when compared to Pure. There`s also nothing to really compare with the Delta tracks. These were wide and quite a nice relaxing break from the narrow stuff, but still very challenging to maintain full speed. They were perfect for multiplayer, and it`s a shame there`s not much like this.

Maybe I`m imagining it, but there seems to me to be a new track design feature in Pulse which I can only call a “half-corner.” Maybe there`s a technical driving term for this. I mean corners which don`t quite complete the turn to where you think they`re going, and at what seems to be half way round the corner you suddenly have to go back the other way or it suddenly straightens out There are quite a few of these: going into the middle chicane on Outpost White, and also on the black run to a lesser extent. There`s one at the end of Vostok Reef Black and Edgewinter White, I think there`s one on Gemini Black in the tricky section after the big drop. There are others, I think, and I also think they`re really quite a nice feature, when you have to sideshift back the other way, and I don`t really remember any corners like this in Pure.

I am just starting to acclimatize myself to Phantom, so my impressions of the tracks are changing.

I think these are really boring tracks, sorry! The middle chicane is almost fun, but that`s the best bit. Moa Therma would have been much better for the starter track. There is almost some tradition of the first track in a Wipeout game being a seaside romp (PK and VK) or there would have been if MT was first.

Moa Therma White:

I love that last corner in Phantom. I can`t do it the same way twice, but wow it`s so mad.

Metropia

Both Metropias suffer from the problem you say, that the track can`t handle Phantom in parts. Black is the worse case of this. White is the better of these imo, with some really exciting parts.

De Konstruct White:

Great track concept, but a little too fiddly on the mag strip, and slightly boring, with ugly BR chaining too. The very end of this track has the Metropia Black disease.

De Konstruct Black:

I really like this one. The corners are much more fun this way round, and the skillcut is an interesting problem, though not a classic like Anulpha. Without the skillcut I guess it would probably be a bit boring though.

I think TDR white is dull. Despite this my profile says it`s my favourite. Somehow I end up playing it a lot, but I can`t enjoy it much. The open bridge section doesn`t suit Pulse`s over-sensitive handling. TDR Black feels much better, imo.

The Amphiseum White:

I certainly wouldn`t take out the spectacular jump, but it would have been nice to enjoy the speed off the jump for a little longer without facing a nasty bend straight away. Then it would have been a real Gare d`Europa moment. Nice original track idea and great multiplayer tracks.

I think these are the hardest tracks in the game to really master. They demand total frame by frame control of the ship, you have to feel what is happening all the time. I can`t do it on Phantom yet, but great stuff.

I think we must be missing the point somewhere about this “Memorial Bridge.” If not, what is it doing there indeed? Maybe it`s just a red herring.

The black run is a great track. You start off as seeing just a messy sequence of wall hits and nasty chicanes and seemingly impossible corners, then you suddenly start to see the racing line and it becomes a joy, especially the chicane before the V-turns when the ship just flies across the pads. The last right turn is really quite simple once you find the line. I find this track surprisingly easy at Phantom, I think because I always have the ship on tight control. But on other tracks where you really have to open up and just make smaller adjustments I suffer at Phantom. Give me a Pure Goteki on these fast tracks and I`d be a lot happier.

Gemini Dam

I love these, they`re like extended Verticas with bits of Manor Top. Lovely stuff, though the black version, in particular, seems to suffer from awful framerate, which is a shame.

Orcus

So insanely floaty on the white version, wow. And then those narrow, rolly corners – so tough to get right. They demand to be taken at full speed, but there is no margin for error. Very tricky stuff. Funny you mention Koltiwa, I thought of this track as an “extreme” Delta track myself.

Edgewinter

I really like these at Phantom, and you start to fly with some Arc Prime/Burgertown instinctive swoosh swoosh movement. At slower speeds the Edgewinters are a bit uninteresting. On the black version I think the camber on the last bends isn`t good, you have to lose too much speed to go through. But maybe I`m just a wimp there.

Vostok Reef

I agree these are very Platinum Rush. The Black version is fun to race, but a very tough track to master. I think the White flows much better though and has a nice rhythm to combine with the floaty feeling.

anyway, still early days with Pulse yet. ;)

blixabargeld
23rd March 2008, 06:59 PM
i agree with you, mad ice, except for platinum rush w & B, which reminded me of the previous wipeout games, and amphiseum, most boring wipeout track ever imho..
but you've got far more experience than me, so i'll keep racing and maybe they will "grow on me"
cheers:)

NightArh
8th July 2009, 01:08 PM
I was going to create new thread called "Newbie questions" but then changed my mind and found this topic and ressurected it with this post... I have some questions about few moments during racing the best tracks all over the world :lol Let's see...

Metropia Black:

This track is beautifully designed up onto the last jump.

So how to do BR there? I cant understand. My ship falls down from the cliff as a tin and then jumps over all the speed pads located further...

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/2371/wo20090708153501.th.jpg (http://img248.imageshack.us/i/wo20090708153501.jpg/)

ACE-FLO
8th July 2009, 02:35 PM
that jump, come in tight on the left and as you jump off - you can BR, then on the landing you can get enough air to do a second BR, its really cool when it goes smoothly. Practice.

However, I find that if you don't BR the jump, and BR the bounce from the jumps landing - you can get round quicker... I've been told this by Smad and Arch too I think!!!

Asayyeah
8th July 2009, 02:55 PM
Good analysis Flo :)

I wanted to share my point of view concerning Outpost 7 black.
MadIce explained it very well, but my lines are a bit different : at the bridge i am going to the right route where there's a speedpad, after hitting it i sideshift left and immediately throw my turbo+BR ( i noticed choosing the left route leads me to throw my turbos a bit too late resulting in 95% of cases to hit the wall entering the chicane after the boost from BR : that chicane with 3 speedpads on a row is one of the 2 major keypoints with the following two 180° : you need to enter it at almost full speed.) You really have to avoid hitting that wall in front of you to sideshift right entering the mini straight-line before the chicane and finding the right way to get those 3 speedpads on a row, if you miss the 1st one you ll loose all your speed momentum ( there's also a mini hard part to not turn too much on right while hitting one of the 2 speedpads in parallel : if you oversteer too much you ll loose everything there).
Then the 180° lines are similar to MadIce ones, i only differe on the last part : i am avoiding the 2nd last speedpad located too much on the right : actually i am staying as much possible to the right part of the track and when i see a 'mini' straightline possible leading to the last speedpad i am using it ( i found turning too much on the right then on the left and then again on the right to hit that last SP was loosing me some speed)

ACE-FLO
8th July 2009, 03:05 PM
I hate the 07's but once I open all tracks again, I will be practicing it. Especially now I see this thread! Asa - You make it sound do-able... I actually want to have a go on OP7 Black now!!! thanks for the tips! Any more?

Asayyeah
8th July 2009, 03:09 PM
about O7B , not really, only depending if i found something different from the other strategies the top guys mentionned already in this thread.

archman
8th July 2009, 03:30 PM
IMO, it's better to not BR the Metropia Black bitchy drop. BR the bump which is next, like Ace said.

ACE-FLO
8th July 2009, 04:04 PM
Yes Arch - you did tell me about not BRing the jump and BRing after the jump then...

leungbok
8th July 2009, 05:11 PM
you can perform 5 brs on metro black pulse (psp & ps2 versions). the same brs i did on a metropia fwd video on hd and 2 others at the jump and the small bump after the jump ;)

ACE-FLO
8th July 2009, 05:39 PM
5? really? whoa - that sounds crazy... can you paste the link to the video?

leungbok
8th July 2009, 05:49 PM
I'll try to do better than that and make a video of it on one lap ;)

NightArh
8th July 2009, 06:13 PM
What can you tell about last turn on Platinum Rush White? What better to do: to make BR or to land the ship to the ground near left border and use Speed Pad?

leungbok
8th July 2009, 06:15 PM
br gives faster boosts in pulse than in HD, so br here !! ;)

5? really? whoa - that sounds crazy... can you paste the link to the video?

Here a video with an awfull lap :lol, but you can count 5 brs ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxHLWYEhTi4

I made the attempt on pulse ps2, but it's even easier on psp ;)

ACE-FLO
9th July 2009, 09:44 AM
I'll be watching this video today, when I get a bit of spare time. Actually, I can't wait!

Thanks for the link.

---

Edit: I just see it!!! bloody hell, you were not joking!!! 5 BR's? WOW, I'm gonna try them but they don't look easy dude!! They look bloody frustrating!!! Thanks for the link, that lap was just hectic!!! Good Going man!

NightArh
9th July 2009, 12:32 PM
Here a video with an awfull lap :lol, but you can count 5 brs ;)

I couldn't repeat that... You have too high skill ;)

ACE-FLO
9th July 2009, 12:41 PM
Night, I bet we could... we just need to practice, build the muscle memory up until pulling off consecutive BR's go from unfamiliar and alien, into automatic!

Seriously, I can do 3 out of the 5 BR's, nailing the other two, is a matter of persistent practice!

I'll not defeat myself! I'll get the 5 BR's down! and so will you!

NightArh
9th July 2009, 12:49 PM
I did 3... somehow... cant get enough speed to fly into the air after MagStrip with my broken AG-Sys ship and make br....

ACE as always is full of optimism! :D

ACE-FLO
9th July 2009, 01:05 PM
We'll get there buddy, we'll get there.

like FBJ says, if a pair of hands can do it, so can mine!

Yeah, even wrong hands like ours! hehe

leungbok
9th July 2009, 01:24 PM
Lol, mates :) It's not that hard, just nose up (like said on the vid ^^) and the speed of the br off the magstrip helps for the others ;)

And Ace, i never joke about br, lol. :beer

NightArh
11th July 2009, 02:32 PM
Everyone of you guys know the sector on Tech de Ra where ECS cage is absent, track with cutted borders... Thus who use that borders to make an extra BR?

ACE-FLO
11th July 2009, 03:33 PM
I've tried that, but be careful of respawns! They suck! You're a brave one Night! Respect!

leungbok
12th July 2009, 12:22 AM
You probably know this video ;): http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=AU&hl=en-GB&v=bAxXICBRzN8

NightArh
12th July 2009, 07:05 AM
Now I know this video :hyper Yeah KANDANG is an elite pilot. Is he playing still?