PDA

View Full Version : Liverpool?

Bablos
11th February 2002, 06:34 PM
Is it just me, or does Liverpool stand out as the city which currently holds the most posters to WipeoutZone? I know it's not important, but it just stands out to me - I know of 3 posters from the city thus far. Could be more...

Lance
12th February 2002, 05:39 AM
there are about 3 or 4 members from Sydney, Aus. who posted on the EZ-board.

i seem to be the only wipEout fan from orlando who is sufficiently fanatic to be here.

there are at least 2 from Toronto.

Spaceboy Gajo
12th February 2002, 06:11 AM
Just wanted to shout out all my peeps in Toronto! Reprezenting the 'Sauga.

UncleZeiv
12th February 2002, 05:51 PM
Tokai lives in Pisa as I do, and even if he tends to lurk rather than read the forum... well, I guess I can say Pisa has two wipeoutters. :grin:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: UncleZeiv on 2002-02-12 19:04 ]</font>

Zebula77
13th February 2002, 12:24 PM
Any Norwegians here? That would be cool. If you're here, let me know.

xEik
13th February 2002, 10:25 PM
I'm still waiting for some Spanish pilot to say that I'm an idiot for telling that my country is Catalonia :lol:

Lance
14th February 2002, 04:02 AM
but Catalonia is so distinct from .. ahem.. the rest of um... Spain, that it's practically another country. you have your own language, yes?

xEik
14th February 2002, 03:03 PM
We have indeed. However, it's still spoken as well in the south of France, in an Italian city called l'Alguer in 'Sardenya' (Don't know the English name for the island) and some other regions of Spain (those don't really like to be considered part of the Catalan culture and I respect that, it's just an historical thing. I understand their not liking those who were once conquerors although that was a long time ago, 13th century or so)

Woah that was a long and maybe boring explanation :lol:

infoxicated
14th February 2002, 03:21 PM
One thing that always impresses me about our non-english speaking members is their grasp of the language.

I mean, I can just about ask "How much?" something is in French, and book a hotel room or have basic conversation in German... but most of the non-english dudes here really are decent at it.

I know that Master... erm.. BurnHead sometimes loses the plot because he cant find the right words (I blame Rammstein for that!) but on the whole I think you all do very well. :smile:

Lance
14th February 2002, 04:36 PM
so right, Foxxy. i wish that i could speak another language well. we speakers of e/English are spoiled by its having become so international that we expect everyone else to speak it, but don't feel it's mandatory for us to speak something else ourselves. [my apologies, for generalising, to individuals of the minority who do feel obligated to do so.]

xEik, no problem at all. i love that knowledge stuff!

the english name of the island is practically the same thing, Sardinia. i haven't heard of that city, though. till now. :smile:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lance on 2002-02-14 17:38 ]</font>

Hyper Shadow
14th February 2002, 08:55 PM
Die ist der heltzer stern von allen, her kompt der sonne.
Du Hasst Mich gerfracht
Mutter
Zwitter :wink:

Thats about as much German as I can remember (Thanks Till), I did do Spanish and French but I couldn't hack it, thats why I'm studying Maths at degree level

Zebula77
15th February 2002, 08:15 AM
Du hast mich gefragt, und ich habt nichts gesagt.

Rammstein rules.

Hyper Shadow
17th February 2002, 05:18 PM
I'm sure its Du Hasst (I hate) rather than Du Hast (I have) :wink:

AmishRobot
17th February 2002, 05:45 PM
What little German I know, I learned from Laibach. :grin:

You're right, Lance. Americans are spoiled by the ubiquity of english. Our schools do teach foreign (to us) languages, but the big problem with that is that they wait until kids are in their teens. By that age, it's much more difficult to learn. As for me, I can offend people in about five different languages, but I couldn't even order a meal in any of them. :lol:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: AmishRobot on 2002-02-17 18:59 ]</font>

Zebula77
18th February 2002, 10:17 AM
Ja, Hyper du bist richtig. It's "Hasst", alright. Thanx for clarifying that.:smile:

Mator
18th February 2002, 11:00 AM
I think we can make a list of all the members and their countries.I'm sure %50 or more are from UK, USA or any other english-speaking country.Is that a good idea??
And :in the old forums there was spellChecker(i dont think i wrote that wright)that helped a lot.

PS:Do you know where Bulgaria is?!?!

Zebula77
18th February 2002, 12:15 PM
Tom, from Norway here.

Lance
18th February 2002, 12:42 PM
um, east of Greece and south of Slovakia?

infoxicated
18th February 2002, 12:52 PM
I've been to bulgaria, you know. It was for a skiing holiday about 15 years ago now.

It had nice snow :smile:! And on top of the mountain we were skiing on there was this huge round tower with a restaurant and a radio mast on top. It was well cool - literally, there were loads of mad ice formations everywhere.

Mator
18th February 2002, 01:53 PM
I'm very happy someone knows about "the round tower":) Actially its called "Snejanka"(Snow-white).

Lance:U're almost wright.Bulgaria is north from Greece.

infoxicated
18th February 2002, 02:05 PM
Hey, is there a website where I could see this tower again? I thought it was amazing when I was there and I took lots of photos of it - like end on end so I could get the whole thing in! :smile:

Lance
18th February 2002, 09:59 PM
oops. i forgot. greece at bottom of balkan peninsula, bulgaria toward top. [slaps self] [tries to remember which countries used to be ancient makedonia and thessaly] [says to hell with it, i'm hungry][but first reads rest of new forum entries]

Mator
20th February 2002, 08:04 AM
sorry for maiking u wait, but , u know Its rarher difficilt to find good pictures of snejanka.The only link i found is http://www.boiana-mg.com/en/winter.htm and the picture is very small:(All the other information is for hotehs and ect.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mator on 2002-02-20 09:06 ]</font>

infoxicated
20th February 2002, 10:55 AM
Nice one - that brought back memories!

I actually have a few pics of it myself - I'll need to dig them out :smile:

Lance
20th February 2002, 06:03 PM
this shows a diagram pic of the ski trails coming down from the tower peak:
http://bgmountains.hit.bg/pamporovo_res_uk.htm
happy nostalgia to you.

xEik
20th February 2002, 10:06 PM
Of course I know where Bulgaria is. Hristo Stoichkov rules. (I don't know if that name should be written that way)(By the way, you may have have noticed I'm a F.C. Barcelona supporter :grin: )