PDA

View Full Version : Single Race Records

guillaume
11th January 2008, 09:08 AM
I guess I've never really understood the purpose of single race records-- it's so dependent on your opposition and what items you happen to pick up from the weapon pads.(quote from this (http://wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4486) thread)

I agree there's a high 'luck factor' in single race lap/race records, but it doesn't take away the interest to me. It takes time to combine luck and skills, so it just means you'll play the game longer :)
The problem I see is that you can set records in multiplayer, because it will be easier to have better records depending on the number and skills of your opponents. I'm sure some people won't have a problem setting up a race with only one opposent, who could even not race and just park on the side, so that the other one can set a record easily.
I don't know if limiting race records to offline play would be a good thing either, just wondering. And in Pulse case, there would have to be records for each AI level, or everyone would set records with the AI set to easy.

phl0w
11th January 2008, 10:39 AM
I don't think it's mainly luck either, I do agree that there's no point in setting records in SR though. When you look at it from a RL-racing's point of view, the aim is to finish first, everything else comes second or isn't even considered. I for one never cared much about racetimes since, as mentioned, the target is to finish first. Now, with games getting easier and easier these days (Pulse definitely not being an exception), I can see why one would even try to TT in races. Still, when the category asks for a quality not quantity, i.e. place instead of racetime, I race according to that and when my lead is big enough near the end of a tournament, that the Gold medal is secured, I just explode in the last race(s). That's how motorsport works. With the risks drivers take and all, noone would go to their limits when the win is secure just to prove something to himself or anyone.

zargz
11th January 2008, 02:33 PM
good point, guillaume. imo records on line shouldn't be saved/registered/recorded.