PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Unlockable ship/skin

Rahvin13
9th January 2008, 10:54 AM
What is everyone's favourite Unlockable Skin or ship?

I Unlocked the Concept ship for EG.X, And it looks incredible :D So that's my current favoured ship to use

ZenDJiNN
9th January 2008, 11:07 AM
I haven't seen the EG.X concept ship yet (I'm currently getting enough points to unlock it) but i have unlocked both the Feisar & the AG Systems..... & i'm not really keen on either, although of the two i prefer the Feisar.

This is only from a "Concept" point of view though, as i really like both ships from a racing viewpoint, especially the AG-Sys, which is becoming my favourite ship to race with. I've seen the Qirex Concept ship (at least i think it was the Qirex) racing online & that looks pretty good.

Rahvin13
9th January 2008, 11:09 AM
The only concepts i have are the Pirahna which looks cool and EG.X Which looks awesome:)

Stardragon88
9th January 2008, 11:56 AM
Ah yes, the EG-X concept looks pretty incredible :rock I'm biased of couse, since it's my favourite team. I've taken to racing with the default skin lately though, it has it's own charms.

Rahvin13
9th January 2008, 12:24 PM
Its also my favourite team lol :D That is until icaras is available :P Lol. i like the default skin, You like the Alternate skin? that looks cool i think

ZenDJiNN
9th January 2008, 02:25 PM
I've just unlocked the EG.X Concept ship.... it's great, probably the best that i've seen so far, although it looks quite like the Feisar. :)

I'm also eagerly waiting for the Icaras ship though, as it was my favourite on Pure. It Just seemed to "Have it all" so i'm hoping the the new (Pulse) incarnation will be just as good. :rock

Rapier Racer
9th January 2008, 04:25 PM
I think Icaras pilots will suffer online given the paper shields it comes with (6) How can you survive combat situations with shields like that, absorbing everything you pick up you say? So now you can't fight back and possibly loose positions. It's acceleration is only 7 so no quick getting away at the start either.

ZenDJiNN
9th January 2008, 05:15 PM
You could be right there Rapier, and it's something i'm going to try as soon as they're available. :) But there are other ships with lousy shields aren't there? I'm only going by the Icaras ship in Pure btw, because of all the ships in Pure, it was the only one that worked the way that i expected/wanted. So i'm hoping that the Pulse version will be just as good, perhaps even with better shields.... that would be great! :rock

Apart from that, i don't often play online (Well, not THAT often anyway) because i have more fun playing AI "in game". Online is GREAT when you get a good bunch of racers (Zoners for instance) but there are a LOT of idiots out there that have spoiled many a race for me, so i'm really picky about when i race & who i race with/against.

And anyway, what's wrong with racing using Icaras with the "Weapons OFF" option...? :g

Rapier Racer
9th January 2008, 05:39 PM
Yes there are other ships out there with lousy shields, mine happens to be one of them but then its not as lousy as Icaras, sometimes I'm shocked at how quickly my ship can be gutted and thats with a 7 shield, course getting better at the game I now loose a lot less energy.

I await the full time arrival of aza into online Pulse the tables have turned it's now me that has the weaker shield as opposed to AG-S in Pure, all those times I tried to make an advantage out of his weaker shields are about to come back and bite me in the Assegai. :p

I am interested in seeing how Icaras fairs myself. It might be OK actually as I just remembered you get massive amounts of energy back if you absorb a Plasma, or Quake I like this in Pulse, Pure gave you much less for a Plasma which is why I would always feel cheated if I absorbed it instead of letting someone else have it.

As far as racing with weapons off goes, thats like going into a bakers, buying a lovely delicious cake then scraping off all the icing and filling.

Rahvin13
9th January 2008, 06:00 PM
The only time i start losing loads of energy and crashin alot is when i pay attention to my sheild bar and try and get perfect laps, when i dont focus on not crashing i dont crash, if that makes any sense?

ZenDJiNN
9th January 2008, 06:41 PM
Rapier - I know what you mean about the shields depleating very quickly. Even using the AG-Sys (Which on Pulse has reasonable shields) i'm constantly amazed when i'm halfway through a race & the voice says "Energy Critical"....

As for soaking up the weapons to replenish the shield, i usually find that you get a lot back from bombs, mines & Plasma, so i have a tendency to just absorb them if i don't need to use them at all, and that tends to help a lot. :)

I like the "Bakers" analogy by the way.... :) Heehee, yeah, i guess you're right, but sometimes it's quite refreshing, and i guess it all depends on who you're racing, but often i'm just sick of getting stuck in a squabble or "barged" into a side wall, rather than just having a great race..... Remember, without all the cream & icing you is a "Lean Mean Racing Machine!" :rock

Rahvin - dude, you should see me on Outpost 7 in Rapier class..... After the first lap my shields are almost gone just from hitting the walls! :)

Hellfire_WZ
9th January 2008, 06:59 PM
Glad I'm not the only one to notice the shields are thinner in Pulse. Even in Triakis I sometimes get the old Energy Critical message soon into a race

Rapier Racer
9th January 2008, 07:02 PM
Indeed, did they not make the weapons more powerful in terms of taking shield but overall they have less stopping power. I don't like racing with weapons off how am I supposed to kill anyone?

Rahvin13
9th January 2008, 07:14 PM
I Know what you mean, i've only successfully eliminated one person online :|

Lion
9th January 2008, 08:15 PM
I've only unlocked the qirex concept, but by using it in a single race or tournament you get to see all the others
EG-X is definitely my favourite of the concept designs... but it doesn't say EG-X anywhere on it, could only determine that that's what I was looking at by a process of elimination

zargz
9th January 2008, 08:24 PM
for you guys unlocking stuff, today I just found out that if you play head to head on campaign or racebox you get 450 points/race

also if you play zone you'll get lots of points coz of the amount of laps.
more points for perfect laps and zones :)

WARNING!!!

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not a big one though and good to know if you want to stick to your favorite ship

you'll get all skins for all ships on your way to 100.000 points.

/ SPOILER

Frances_Penfold
9th January 2008, 09:12 PM
I don't like racing with weapons off how am I supposed to kill anyone?

Heh, I don't like racing with weapons off because it cripples the barrel roll mechanic. Has anybody figured out the percentage of shield that is absorbed when executing a BR? Colin said that, in Wipeout Pulse, it's a percentage rather than a number, as it was in Wipeout Pure.

I figure that on a 4 or 5 lap race, you can probably barrel roll twice per lap when weapons are off-- with weapon pads on, well, you can barrel roll more if you are good at picking up the weapons and absorbing them :)

ZenDJiNN
9th January 2008, 09:50 PM
Indeed, did they not make the weapons more powerful in terms of taking shield but overall they have less stopping power.

I've found it to be the opposite (Especially online) and it's the bane of my online racing when i run into weapons fire or Mines/Bombs etc... as i often almost stop dead! Cannon fire blows the CRAP out of me as well and brings me to a halt rather quickly! :g

today I just found out that if you play head to head on campaign or racebox you get 450 points/race

I was playing H2H today, on Moa Therma White, (Racebox) and if i get 3 perfect laps then i get 480 points, for 3 laps!! Great stuff, and a great way to learn the tracks at the same time.

I also discovered that when you use the "Hard AI" setting, the other ship (Which for me was a Triakis) tries to bash into you at least once, thus discounting that lap as perfect..... so be warned! :g

Thanks for the spoiler..... it's good to know that, whatever ship i race, i'll have the choice of all concepts/skins eventually, without having to do the same for ALL of the teams. :)

BARTgai
9th January 2008, 10:08 PM
i unlocked the concept feisar a while back, and well i think it looks ugly sorry.

i'm on my way to unlocking all the other ships stuff ( currently have around 79000 loyalty )

oh well lol.

Rapier Racer
9th January 2008, 10:13 PM
To answer the original question, the Goteki concept ship looks really cool!

Frances_Penfold
9th January 2008, 10:17 PM
Yes, back to the original question, I am fond of the zone ship design that you can unlock for each team.

Wish it was possible to make a livery for them, though. (There's isn't a way, is there?)

tapioca
9th January 2008, 11:10 PM
I think i'd go for Triakis Concept…
Although i'm not a regular Triakis user, i think the unlockable ship has a fantastic design that motivates me for loyalty points. Its proportions seem strange at first compared to the regular one, but it looks like a sharp armoured blade that really fits the team identity.
As soon as the skin editor allows for unlockables, i think i'll work on a stealth ship paintjob for it: http://www.richard-seaman.com/Aircraft/AirShows/Riat2002/F117/index.html

Oh, and the Goteki one is quite cool, too. I was wandering which team it was when i saw it on the Pulse website (see Features/Online)

Talking of concepts, Eg-X looks good while unexpected, Feisar looks like Wipeout 1 renders, AG-Sys looks like Starwars with its rear cockpit, Qirex looks smoother, Assegai doesn't fit the shape you would expect from the team (more like HD's Qirex) and Piranha has a big egdy head with a great paintjob.

Rahvin13
10th January 2008, 10:32 AM
We'll be able to make skins for the Concept ships?

zargz
10th January 2008, 11:17 AM
I like most the qirex' concept skin 8)

MAMUTH
10th January 2008, 03:21 PM
I have to say that i like all ship designs and unlockables in game except for one...it´s eg-x concept. It just doesn´t seem to fit in the game, because it looks more like spaceship than proper wipeout craft. It´s easier for me to imagine this ship in star trek than in a race

Typhy
10th January 2008, 04:43 PM
The qirex ship made me laugh first time I saw it, however, the EG-X craft just looks dead fast.

Most important to me is what the ship looks like from behind though, as opposed to overall appearance. In the end it's what you feel most comfortable racing with, both from an aesthetic and statistical point of view.

Typhy

zargz
10th January 2008, 08:05 PM
yes you are right, most of the ships in pure looked crap from behind I had forgotten that ..
the wo1 ships looked really aerodynamic (from any angle 8)), in pure there like 2-3 that look ok ..
already forgot which ones

Sausehuhn
10th January 2008, 09:59 PM
Most of Pulse's ships just look so damn ugly from behind. I don't say the models are bad, no really, they're not. But You really just see the back of the ship, no other parts. Combined with the angle of the camera a lot ships look really ugly (C'mon, the EG.X concept is such a nice model but it hurts my eyes when I look at the rear of the ship).
In the end I've no problem with it at all because I'm racing with internal view anyway. But I didn't with the older games and, definitely, the ships looked much better from behind then Pure's and Pulse's did.

I know Egg spends a lot of time into the models and I think he makes a really good job with it. But maybe it's time to build models the other way around? Not starting with a whole but with the rear of the ship? Cause that's what you see 98% in a race.

lunar
10th January 2008, 10:01 PM
I race internal anyway, but I agree about the EGX back-end.

To answer the topic, I think the concept Goteki is incredibly good-looking.

Lion
10th January 2008, 10:28 PM
I mentioned liking the EG-X already, but I think the FEISAR concept needs special mention.
I've never been a huge Feisar fan, but this one is gorgeous
the Feisar designs since right back at the original wipeout have been variations on a theme, this is the first that I've thought really represented valid evolution of the Feisar form

ZenDJiNN
11th January 2008, 12:11 AM
I think the Triakis, Goteki, Assegai & Quirex look pretty much OK from behind, but the others mostly have Fat Arses! :) The AG-Systems is such a great looking ship in profile, but from behind it's horrid, especially when it's sitting on the starting line with the Brake Flaps UP!

The Feisar's the same.... Fat Arse, and although the EG.X is similar, i find that it's slightly more aesthetic from behind. Same with the Piranha, which isn't too bad from behind, but still looks terrible.

I think the Icaras (in Pure) looked OK from behind. I find that the way the ship looks from behind (& also the colour scheme) has a big effect on what ship i like to race. It probably shouldn't have, but it does. :g

BARTgai
11th January 2008, 03:12 AM
Icaras? Really? I thought it looked like a (insert some negative descriptive word here ) in Pure :p

ZenDJiNN
11th January 2008, 10:55 AM
LOL! :) I've just played Pure again after playing Pulse since it's release, and there's a massive difference in the way that the ships handle/react etc. I used to find the Icaras really great on Pure, and now i find i'm floating around all over the place like a complete Novice!

Great fun though, comparing the two, but yeah, Icaras looks really good, and so does the Feisar i think. But there are still a few "Fat Arse" ships in Pure as well. I can't comment on any of the older games because i only started Wipeout with Pure, but i've seen some of the pictures floating around on the Net & some of the ship designs were pretty good.

swift killer
11th January 2008, 11:14 AM
they should try make Icaras look more like the original sungod ship

Stardragon88
11th January 2008, 11:28 AM
Ah yeah, it's a pity EG.X doesn't look as good as, imo, Piranha from behind. I put up with it though, since I like the ship so much :rock

@ZenDJiNN - I fired up Pure for a bit and I was frankly shocked at how different the handling was ;) The tail of the ships seem to swing out much more, which ironically would make 180 turns like the ones we have in Outpost 7 now much easier. Revisiting Citta Nuova was a blast.

Off topic a bit, I started Wipeout with 2097/XL, but I don't remember much about the ships then since I figure I was about 10 back then, haha. I remember calling Valparaiso 'that jungle track'.

ZenDJiNN
11th January 2008, 02:01 PM
Stardragon88 - LOL!! You're right, that would make such a difference in Outpost 7 wouldn't it? :) I just couldn't believe how it handled after playing Pulse for such a short time. Now when i play Pure, it takes me a while to get used to the handling of the ships again before i can start to get anywhere near some decent races! :g

Task
11th January 2008, 03:02 PM
But maybe it's time to build models the other way around? Not starting with a whole but with the rear of the ship? Cause that's what you see 98% in a race.Everyone except for Arnaud. Have you watched him play? I swear he spends half his time in "look behind" mode, watching for anyone coming up behind. He's probably the only wiper in existence that sees all his opponents the way Egg wants us to see them: from the front! 8 D

Man, irony, ain't it somethin'?

Asayyeah
11th January 2008, 09:24 PM
lol Jay 8)

Seriously speaking, the rear-view pilot is looking forward ( and backward , can we say that? :D ) to meet & fight vs the fellow Toronto's flying UFO team in april or may :rock

back on topic = my fav unlocked ship skin is customed AG SyS

Dogg Thang
11th January 2008, 09:31 PM
I love the look of some of the concept ships. In a way, many of them look to me like the natural evolution from WO1. I mean, take the ships in that game, add 100 years and you have the EG.X and Feisar concept ships. They both look weird from the back but their overall shape looks great. I really like the Qirex and Assegai concepts too. Putting the two styles together would sort of make an evolution of 2097.

Medusa
12th January 2008, 02:05 PM
I like the alternate AG-SYS skin the best for unlockable skin. It just looks so icy. But of course nothing beats the custon skins that are available. Oooh!!:+

Speaking of the way ships look - EG.X just screams "crippled duck" to me. It looks like someone took away its chance in life to fully develop its wings.:twisted

Egg
12th January 2008, 02:39 PM
> Sob <

You're dead inside, the lot a'ya.

;)

Dogg Thang
12th January 2008, 03:23 PM
What are your favourites, Egg?

Medusa
12th January 2008, 08:42 PM
Don't cry, Egg. I have a soft spot for crippled things...

And besides, you have to make the ships look different somehow. They can't all be as sexy as AG-SYS.:D

Rapier Racer
12th January 2008, 09:45 PM
I can't say theres been a ship in a Wipeout game I have disliked as such until I saw EG.X. You see the Pulse box art? Well what you did not see there was 30 seconds before that shot was taken there was a Triakis on the other side of the EG.X, with some help from Qirex they each smashed into a side of the EG.X and squished it into what it is today.

eLhabib
13th January 2008, 02:03 PM
Oh you gotta be kidding me! The EG-X has the sleekest and most classic and true to wipEout ship design ever!

Sausehuhn
13th January 2008, 03:41 PM
signed!

Egg
13th January 2008, 08:49 PM
What are your favourites, Egg?
I like the Feisar concept because of its simplicity .... I did that one last of all, I was that nervous of screwing it up.

Assegai and Qirex turned out pretty well, too, I think ... like all of them, I just wanted to try something different.

The EGX turned out a bit 'Macross'-ish, perhaps. Not intentionally.

Dogg Thang
13th January 2008, 09:20 PM
Well they certainly turned out different. But you still managed to keep an overall feel rather than going all wacky racers with them (you know, Fusion!). Lovely work as always.

Au_Xtr3me
15th January 2008, 10:43 AM
All of them where unique, but similar in many ways.

Feisar and EG-X both have very similar chassis as do:

Goteki 45 and Auricom

Assegai and Qirex

AG-Sys and Piranha

Mirage and Zone

Harimau and Icaras

and last Triakis and, some... team... with a... trident...