PDA

View Full Version : Please Explain this for me..

cigator
6th January 2008, 03:07 PM
I race with Assegai. I try to race on line at the Venom speed because I am relatively new to this. I don't understand how I can race on Talons White, have a clean race (hit most speed pads, dont hit walls), and I have a time around 2 minutes. But, racers are beating me badly, with times of 1:50. How do you get these times. I didnt think you could barrel roll on tracks that dont put air under the ship. I think I am racing pretty well, but Im hardly ever competitive. Is there a trick to going that much faster than me in the Venom class? I would like to be more competitive. Thanks for you input.

phl0w
6th January 2008, 03:21 PM
First of all: There's many topics that cover techniques and strategies for fast laps.
Still, especially on lower classes, a clean lap (PL) is not a clean lap, if you know what I mean. There can be seconds between two Perfect Laps, just because the direct line is that important. See on faster classes you don't have much choice but to stick to a direct line, otherwise you'd bump around the track like a bouncing ball. On Venom and Flash on the other hand there are unlimited lines to take a bend, resulting in big differences accumulated over the course of, say, 10 bends in 3 or 4 laps.
Long story short: Try to race as close to the inner walls as possible, and try to find the apex of every corner so you don't have to airbrake much.
As for your "hit most speed pads". Most of them is not enough, you'd want to hit EVERY Boost Pad every lap to clock an even remotely competitive time.
You wouldn't believe the difference a good line can make in your achieved time!
Hope that helped a bit. Just don't let yourself discourage by times posted or other Wipers online. It's really all a matter of practice.

Edit: I just saw you use Assegai. On Venom handling really isn't important, so maybe you try a faster craft to see how it fits? You can always go back to Assegai, if that's the team of your choice, when you know the game's mechanics better. Especially the good handling of Assegai makes it easy to steer more than neede thus losing way too much velocity. Just a recommendation.

Sausehuhn
6th January 2008, 03:59 PM
And then there are also a few cheaters (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4422) out there, ruining the game.

Typhy
7th January 2008, 10:39 PM
Not that I consider myself expert by any means, but despite people saying there are fewer barrel roll opportunities in Pulse I think that you can do so on nearly every track, at least once.

All you need is a slight ramp or upwards incline to boost off from, pulling back to get your nose in the air. This should give you enough height to barrel roll - just make sure you control the landing!
Also, nose down and side shift for small boosts.

That being said, I still fail to see how it's possible to get a time in the 31s for said track. That would mean shaving 3 seconds off my time!! I'm sure there's a trick to it I haven't found...

Typhy

Asayyeah
9th January 2008, 12:49 PM
That being said, I still fail to see how it's possible to get a time in the 31s for said track. That would mean shaving 3 seconds off my time!! I'm sure there's a trick to it I haven't found...

Not sure i wellcome you into the board in your previous thread so i do it now : Enjoy the forum Typhy :)

are you talking about Talon's junction white venom? if yes , here's what i can tell you about a doable BR after the mag strip section : after the end of mag strip you get turbo just before the parallel boost pad , up your nose while on the small bump : you got enough high to make a Barrel roll and enter the chicanes at high speed. Hope that can help you a bit

Typhy
11th January 2008, 02:45 PM
Cheers Asayyeah,

I've applied the double barrel roll tactic to de Konstruct White, on the final mag strip section, but using three boosts in a row seems kinda like I'm breaking a taboo!! :p
I used to use the directional buttons, but found it nearly impossible to get the right angle for a turn and nose-up at the same time. That's why I now use the analogue stick. Anyone else have the same experience?

Hope to see you online soon,

Typhy

KANDANG
11th January 2008, 03:40 PM
I used to use the directional buttons, but found it nearly impossible to get the right angle for a turn and nose-up at the same time.

if you have a psp slim, it'd be easier to turn + nose up at the same time
:coffee

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 12:39 PM
Actually, I think if you put sticky tape or some easy to remove tape over the up directional button and steer with the analogue nub you could get a better time. Making sure that you press the button down quite hard. I had a few problems with it staying down.

Yes it sounds stupid or funny or like I'm being an "asshat" BUT I have good reason to believe it may make you faster in most tracks except Outpost 7 :cold and anything faster than the speeds you find boring.

Boring being: Venom, Flash, and Rapier

Phantom and Zen ftw :rock

phl0w
16th January 2008, 01:55 PM
No, it would not, because first of all: for a fast time you have to BR, and that on many occasions is only possible if you raise your nose to gain enough height ;) and second of all, there are many jumps in Pulse, which result in a severe loss of speed when taken with your ship pointing towards the ground.
Both of which result in loss of speed, that's much more than the slight advantage (~15-20kph) from lowering your ship's nose.

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 10:20 PM
But every little bit helps :nod

I'll expand on my requirements - This technique does not work on outpost 7 and any other track with jumps or air time, and does not work on speeds you are not 100% in control of.

Even without that, there are several legitimate ways to speed ahead of people, such as abusing every barrel roll opportunity and getting very lucky with pick ups

phl0w
17th January 2008, 08:33 AM
and any other track with jumps or air time
so... none?

But every little bit helps
Of course it makes you faster, however the drawbacks are so big, you'll end up chasing your own times- for nothing.

Au_Xtr3me
17th January 2008, 10:08 AM
Talon's Junction, Moa Therma, and De Contruct (black and white) if piloted correctly have no jumps or air time :nod

But I see your point, essentially 6 out of 24 tracks on 3 of 4 speed classes, thus 18 of 94 tracks...

Sweet, I'll give it a shot. :g

Stardragon88
17th January 2008, 10:58 AM
Well, I suppose that depends on how you define 'correctly' :) It's possible to get airbourne after the loop in Talon's Junction, and at the bend near the end of Moa Therma White.

Apart from those, doesn't De Konstruct White have a very obvious drop before the end? And the skillcut in Black has BR opportunities before landing on it, and as you leave it - although I personally feel the former is pretty suicidal :dizzy

Au_Xtr3me
17th January 2008, 11:15 AM
Yes, in these cases, however my calculation included specifically not using areas in which you would get air, as well as that, angling the nose down helps prevent gaining too much air. In those 3 tracks the amount of air gained is minimal on the 3 slow classes. My calculation excluded Phantom.

Gee, my justification for this helpful tip of taping down the Up D button with sticky tape is getting excessively long, and this really is straying off the topic of somebody being beaten by 10 seconds at venom.

I have no Idea how you can get some air at venom on Talon's Junction or Moa therma (black or white). Yes you can get air in De Konstruct, but there IS a mag lock to prevent you from doing so at no cost to speed. :nod Yes that other bit at De Konstruct does seem just a little bit suicidal :blarg

Asayyeah
17th January 2008, 11:33 AM
Au_Xtr3me : you can have 'air' enough to BR at venom speed on talon's white : at the end of mag strip section and right before the parallel boost pads , throw your turbo boost while you press down directionnal button : on the minimalistic bump you ll be enough high to make a quick BR to enter with extra speed the chicanes.
This is certainly what meant Stardragon88

infoxicated
17th January 2008, 11:45 AM
Yeah, just did it myself, but the 35.01 lap time seems to suggest that I'm missing out everywhere else on the track. :|

Au_Xtr3me
17th January 2008, 10:30 PM
Okay I did Talon's Junction white with the special sticky tape method AND I cut my record time of 34.62 by 2 SECONDS WOOT!!!

On talon's junction black I cut my record by about 1.5 seconds.... See It works :nod

@ Asayeah: Oh... So that's how people get ridiculous times on Venom. I tried that but whenever I completed the BR I didn't get any boost out of it. (Yes it was a clean full rotation, but no boost :?)

PS How the F&$% has Biscotteala got 24.24 seconds ON VENOM!? You can't even get that on Rapier and by a small margin on Phantom! :mad:

PPS What's wrong with the team allegiance scores? Harimau hasn't been released yet, and I seriously doub't that Assegai is clean sweeping the competition.

Medusa
18th January 2008, 01:50 AM
I wonder whether a lot of "noobs" don't use Assegai simply because it's the first ship to select. A friend of mine uses that method to choose which ship. Anyways, there are a few cheaters using hacks to get those ridiculous venom times.

Au_Xtr3me
18th January 2008, 12:00 PM
LOL picking Assegai because it's first on the list... reminds me of how some people vote. :)

Flashback Jack
18th January 2008, 02:47 PM
Talon's Junction, Moa Therma, and De Contruct (black and white) if piloted correctly have no jumps or air time :nod

All three of those tracks present barrel roll opportunities, and in all cases, the barrel roll pretty much needs to be executed to secure the best possible times.

- F