PDA

View Full Version : packs not free?

NeXaR_QroN
4th January 2008, 06:06 PM
Sorry for the, perhaps, misleading title of the topic, but it is the words that crossed my mind when I saw this: (click to enlarge)
http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/4346/shotxk0.th.png (http://img262.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shotxk0.png)

The translation of the highlighted part says something like "On sale soon".

Were the packs not supposed to be free?

Rapier Racer
4th January 2008, 06:13 PM
English site says coming soon. Maybe they translated it wrong or were going to charge for packs originally then changed their minds and not the site.

Ash-Omen
4th January 2008, 06:21 PM
i doubt they will charge for packs overwise there will be 1 very unhappy forum.

im curiouse on how these packs r gonna work online for ppl who have the packs playing online with players without the packs

Rapier Racer
4th January 2008, 06:50 PM
They won't, if it works like Wipeout Pure anyone without the packs will be told by the game something like 'Ship not present' or 'Track not present' and won't be joining the game in question. Packs will be free anyway so there no excuse not to have them.

NeXaR_QroN
4th January 2008, 07:17 PM
Looking into the "features" section, I found out it claims to have infrastructure eliminator mode (in spanish site, again). Is this also an error, or it is being implemented later with the packs?

It's not that eliminator mode in multiplayer would rock only, it's that it would mean that more things than just "add ships and tracks" could be done with packs (such as fixing bugs).

supersocks
4th January 2008, 07:21 PM
Well, nobody official enough hasn't said either yes or no...

If so, I hope they won't get too greedy with this since, at least for me, Pulse track design in general hasn't encouraged me to expect much from the upcoming download tracks. Althought if it goes like with Pure, the add-on tracks will mostly be higher quality than the default content. I'm just little worried that Pulse might not have been fared well enough in sales to meet the expectations and they try to milk all money possible.

Charging for (possibly more capable) ships on the other hand would be just plain stupid move.

Rapier Racer
4th January 2008, 09:25 PM
I see no reason why they won't charge with HD, other games on the PS3 charge for new vehicles so why shouldn't SL? Maybe theres no market for chargeable PSP downloads or something but I don't think we can expect extra free stuff forever.

Dogg Thang
4th January 2008, 09:38 PM
I'd rather pay for packs than have them sponsored. That said, I don't think it will be happening with Pulse. The fact that the teams are all a part of the main game Pulse website as if they are standard and the tracks show up with record tables and have been there since just about launch would make a bit cheeky to charge for them now. There have already been quite a few people here wondering how to unlock those teams.

But I have no problem paying for content.

lunar
4th January 2008, 10:11 PM
Same here. No matter how much you shop around, you`re not going to be able to pay more than £24.99 for Pulse, and with a decent amount of tracks and loads of extra features it`s already great value for money. I don`t know if we`ll pay for Pulse content or not, but there`s a lot of people working at SL and all their wages have got to be paid and make a profit on top, or no more Wipeout for us. If we do have to pay I just hope it doesn`t cause any problems with online play, or for people who can`t access Playstation Store for some reason.

But if extra content turns out to be a profitable exercise for SL at some point who knows how long we could go on getting more tracks?

supersocks
4th January 2008, 10:45 PM
other games on the PS3 charge for new vehicles so why shouldn't SL

But when it comes to most beloved old teams (Harimau) it's a sacrilege! :twisted

Fascia
4th January 2008, 10:56 PM
I'd rather pay for downloadable content than have no downloadable content at all. Similarly, I'd like the option of having 'two' versions of a downloadable pack, a free one plastered with shameless advertisements, and a payed version, perhaps £5 for 4 tracks & Ships is more than reasonable in my book, considering how cheap the game is in the first place.

Edit: To be honest, I'd hand over £100 for a pack of 4 tracks if it came down to that... but then again, I can't see anyone outside of these forums doing that. (Hey, Wip3out set me back £65)

NeXaR_QroN
4th January 2008, 11:26 PM
I'm not saying I would not buy it too, but I kinda assumed we wouldn't have to.

Amaru
4th January 2008, 11:42 PM
The downloadable extra stages for Lemmings on PSP had to be bought and, combined with the title's already rather low popularity, got somewhat boycotted. :P As for WipEout Pulse's downloadable packs, if they were to cost then not all online players would have them and the online experience would eventually feel even more clustered than it is now (with no way of communicating online through the PSP you wouldn't be able to ask about everyone's downloadable content status and would end up being kicked from the room for lack of content now activated, unintentionally kicking players from the room for the same reason or simply not daring to activate any downloadable content to be on the safe side). That said, I would also buy those downloadable packs for the reasons previously mentionned: WipEout Pulse is cheap and its downloads should be worth their price.

Lance
5th January 2008, 12:15 AM
But when it comes to most beloved old teams (Harimau) it's a sacrilege! :twisted

}goes to library to check out the enormous leatherclad volume containing the centuries-long history of the ancient and honoured Harimau{

Frances_Penfold
5th January 2008, 12:24 AM
I have no problem paying for downloadable content in the form of extra tracks-- if this is the business model that is required to make Wipeout financially viable, then so be it.

Practically speaking, however, I hope they are free-- because (as pointed out by others) (1) it may be a cluster**** for Mac and Linux users (like myself) to purchase and download the tracks; and (2) purchased tracks will inevitably create conflicts and confusion in online matchmaking, since not everybody will have all of the tracks.

supersocks
5th January 2008, 12:39 AM
centuries-long history of the ancient and honoured Harimau

You may want to replace Harimau with Icar(a/u)s: You'll emphatize with me and found more text to read ;)

zargz
5th January 2008, 12:47 AM
how about feisar, ag systems, auricom and qirex?

The First Ones! http://geocities.com/zargz/leenden/old.gif

supersocks
5th January 2008, 12:57 AM
They'll release them as downloadable for next wipEout that's for sure. (Yes, even Phaisar) :nod

Lance
5th January 2008, 01:25 AM
You may want to replace Harimau with Icar(a/u)s: You'll emphatize with me and found more text to read ;)

Icarus had a very short history. Pretty good subsequent artist following, though.

--

I'm hoping that Icaras has become a permanent fixture in the WipEout Universe, whether as default or download.

Mad-Ice
5th January 2008, 09:31 AM
It's not that eliminator mode in multiplayer would rock only, it's that it would mean that more things than just "add ships and tracks" could be done with packs (such as fixing bugs).

Yes, I would be more then happy to pay for downloadable content especially if they could fix the racetime records bug when you blow up.:nod

richchestmat
5th January 2008, 11:13 AM
Regardless of the views of others here I would return Pulse to the shop where I bought it within days of any announcement of paid packs. And I mean return for refund because all the literature has given the impression of the packs being free and I would demand my money back under the Sale Of Goods act. I paid £30 for this game and I won't call that cheap and I am not prepared to pay something like £5 per pack on top.

I'm still smarting over the fact that wipEout from the Playstation store cost me £5 and not £3.99 as advertised.

Quite frankly I preferred Pure over this anyway. I've not unlocked all the tracks yet but I've actually been letting myself fall sleep on the bus rather than play this. That's just my opinion of course and I can respect the fact that many people on here love this new game.

rageagainstgeorge
5th January 2008, 11:24 AM
The PSN store is a con. Lets advertise something for £3.99 but you can only pay with a minimum of £5. I know it's only a pound but it really is ****.

I'm not as keen on Pulse as I was with Pure either. Unless the download packs are cheap (maybe £1 to £2 max) then i won't buy them.

Ash-Omen
5th January 2008, 02:59 PM
i dont think they're gonna charge for the extra content they didnt in pure so why would they in pulse, i for 1 would be pissed if they charged anyway i very much doubt they will we would of heard about it by now if they wer, they will probly jus apear under the downloads section in wipeout-game.com.

infoxicated
5th January 2008, 03:01 PM
Sorry for the, perhaps, misleading title of the topic...
That's okay, I've fixed it for you.

Seek100
5th January 2008, 04:47 PM
Yes, I would be more then happy to pay for downloadable content especially if they could fix the racetime records bug when you blow up.:nod

K, so let me get this straight, you are saying that you'd be happy to pay for the developers to fix _bugs_ that should have (in an ideal world) never been present to begin with? The day developers can charge to bugfix is the day I chuck my computer in a skip.

I remember when Bethesda started this pay-per-download thing with Oblivion, I was really p*ssed off given that the fans were already making much better stuff for free in thheir previous game Morrowind. My brother paid for the packs on his 360 version and when I saw what they actually were, they were worth pennies, not a fiver or a tenner a pop. (Some were more IIRC).

These 'microtransactions' (the buzzword for pay-per-download crap, created by people who say 'paradigm shift' a lot I imagine) are just another means of fleecing the customer, games are already very expensive (Pulse not so much, about right really). But let's say for instance that each DL pack were to cost £5, and say each contained one new track and one new team, that adds up to £20 for 4 tracks (8 if you count reverse) and 4 teams.

If we applied that to the base game, that's 8 teams, and what 24 tracks? That'd be what £80? And that's just raw content; not counting the less quantifiable value of the actual code, the physics, the flight model, the interface, the 'game' underlying the tracks and craft. Under such a model you'd be paying around a cool £100 for the base game we have now. But because companies deliver these extras in little bits'n'pieces, people don't notice a fiver here and there.</rant>

Oh and I checked the Italian version of the site, just says 'In Arrivo' - no mention of money changing hands. Hopefully the Spanish one is just a poor translation.

Rapier Racer
5th January 2008, 06:16 PM
I think it is Lance any ship from Wipeout 3 or previous should and seems to be and is present in the most recent games. It just looks like the guys at SL like to keep Icaras as a more for lack of a better word premium team? I say premium because they (the download ships) had more stat points than the regulars in Pure.

Lance
5th January 2008, 06:27 PM
Thanks, RR. Icaras is always premium for me, so I guess that's appropriate.