PDA

View Full Version : Little shield icon thingy on the results page...

Chris OTR
4th January 2008, 11:37 AM
Hi,

Thanks in advance for any help... Sorry if I'm being an idiot about this but couldn't find the answer in the manual...

On the results page after a race, the right-hand column is a little shield thingy, one for each lap. What does it mean??! Can't figure it out.

Oh and as I'm here, if you upload a ghost, where does it go on the website? It says you should be able to download people's ghosts, but I couldn't see that feature anywhere.

Chris

mdhay
4th January 2008, 12:11 PM
The icon is how many speed pads you hit on that lap.

Chris OTR
4th January 2008, 12:21 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh. That makes sense, thanks! Don't think it's in the manual anywhere.

Just went top of the leaderboard for:

De Konstruct White/Speed Lap/Best Lap/Flash :D

mdhay
4th January 2008, 01:39 PM
I dont know about the ghost downloading, but I'll look around for you.

phl0w
5th January 2008, 01:05 PM
I don't think it's working yet. Tried to upload a Ghost too but it gave me a Network Error or something.

Rahvin13
5th January 2008, 01:09 PM
Is it a little Silver shield, next to the lap time with PL, Written in it?
If so then it means perfect lap

qirex
5th January 2008, 02:15 PM
you can upload ghosts same way you upload your profile. just the button next to it. problem is you have to upload it one by one. i also sometimes get network error but it works.
you can download them from the records table on the official site (if the person who set the record uploaded it seperatly from profile upload).
thats how it worked for me at least while I still had my psp recharging thingy :(

btw would be nice if more top ten peeps like KANDANG would upload their ghosts! :)

phl0w
5th January 2008, 03:18 PM
Well, although I have couple of top10 times, and then some no.1 either, I refrain from uploading, seeing that those times (and most probably 99.9% of top10 times) are nowhere near the limit of the tracks and change on a regular basis (most top10 times are the times achieved on the grid, they are worthless ). Heck, if it's not for a challenge I don't even save Ghosts, because times improve with every time I play Pulse. I only have Ghosts of my Moa Therma, Tech de Ra and Metropia runs. And I'm by no means good at the game. However, I guess most people have that sort of thinking at this early stage of knowledge about the game.

Rapier Racer
5th January 2008, 06:27 PM
So the point of telling me how many speed pads I hit per lap is? Why not how many weapons I fired? Or some other such apparently pointless figure..:?

Typhy
5th January 2008, 06:38 PM
Well, despite speaking as a relativel new pilot, I believe that if you're going for 'best lap' times knowing how many pads you've hit is very important; I recently gave de Konstruct White a go on Flash [Speed Lap, Best Lap] and got a time of 0:26.40, missing ONE speed pad.

Sigh, so close to the top time, however, this raises interesting questions such as, 'how much faster would I have been had I hit that extra pad?', and 'could I have made up an extra 0.1 seconds by using Piranah instead of my favoured EG-X?' for example.
Opinions, please.

Tyhpy

infoxicated
5th January 2008, 07:55 PM
Maybe "Ultimate Lap" should be attainable if you hit the maximum number of speed pads in a perfect lap. :)

Colin Berry
6th January 2008, 12:27 PM
you've read the the Super Perfect Lap post it note on my desk, havent you ?

QirexAAX
6th January 2008, 12:34 PM
Colin Berry? Don't you read the news on BBC Radio 2?

Task
6th January 2008, 12:39 PM
8 )
I was thinking a while back that it would be cool if there were 3 things tracked per lap:
1) Clean lap w/ no track-out, wallbang -> Perfect Lap!
2) All speed pads hit -> Speed Lap!
3) All weapon pads hit -> Lap Of Destruction!

So you could theoretically have a really interesting lap and it would give you:
Perfect Speed Lap Of Destruction!

But that's probably too much text on the screen, and few tracks even allow for the possibility of hitting all pads of one type never mind both, so not much point implementing something that isn't achievable.

But I thought it was a pretty funny idea... Of Destruction!

Typhy
6th January 2008, 02:44 PM
Haha, yeah that is a good idea - and, seeing that WO tracks so many of your stats anyway, surely they can add a few more (including weapon accuracy, average speed, etc.).

Only problem would be that many of the pads are right next to each other, so unless you did an extreme sideshift I doubt you could hit them all. But you could try :D

Typhy

phl0w
6th January 2008, 03:09 PM
This dichotomy in WO's track design has always been a healthy part of the g. It balances things pretty well that there's a "speed" line and a "utility" line. Very often the latter coincides with the former. I know this was just hypothetical, but still: A perfect lap is a perfect lap, regardless of the line taken. Another division in WO, i.e. different types of PLs, would just mean another valuation of how people are playing the game, since- you know- now that there's approval. It's already way too much with statistics and useless "achievements" anybody with one left and right hand is able to complete in a couple hours. We're in Europe, for God's sake, not in the statistics-crazy U.S. :dizzy

Asayyeah
7th January 2008, 02:23 PM
Related to what you were saying about various possible perfect lap, last time with Vic while in a tournament flying back to France , ive heard 'perfect race' at the end of one of the track = did i dreamt?

NeXaR_QroN
7th January 2008, 09:17 PM
Maybe it was "first place"? It's the more similar message I've heard, phonetic-wise, or so I think.

Or... maybe it says that if you do all the laps "perfect"? I've never done that (...), so...

Typhy
7th January 2008, 10:16 PM
I set out very purposefully to get a supposed "perfect race", but to my disappointment there is no such thing (to the game, at least). No extra special 8x point multiplyer, as I was hoping for, and the [PL] icon doesn't even appear next to your overall race time, as it does for individual laps. :frown:

I feel the same as if someone's just boosted ahead of me inches before the finish line...

Typhy