PDA

View Full Version : Popping sound glitch

shunjalo
3rd January 2008, 10:50 AM
A minor problem really, but since there are a number of bug threads already, I thought I could contribute a little. ;)

When starting a race (any race, any track, any mode, online and off), there is a brief (very brief) but audible sound pop, just before the announcer voice. It goes *pop*Welcome to <name of track>. Does this occur to anyone else? What is interesting is that this doesn't happen always, but most of the time (8 out of 10). Also, when I restart the race, it doesn't happen. But it does on subsequent restarts. ? I am running a PSP fat, with a 3.80 firmware.

One note: if you are not using earphones, you might not notice it. It is almost inaudible on PSP speakers. But I play with earphones most of the time (Pulse's sound quality deserves it), and it tends to be irritating.

mdhay
3rd January 2008, 11:03 AM
It may be either the battery, the game or you may be pressing on the faceplate.

BARTgai
3rd January 2008, 04:24 PM
never noticed any popping, but in some cases during a race like eliminator, the sound sounds all weird for a few seconds ( most likely because there are like 300 weapons going off at the same time, and lags badly )

Rapier Racer
3rd January 2008, 05:14 PM
Yes thats the only sound bug I've noticed during eliminator and sometimes SR if a lot of weapons happen to be going off and the game is playing one of my custom music tracks, I find it totally acceptable given the amount of stuff the game is trying to do all at once on a PSP.

shunjalo
3rd January 2008, 07:23 PM
Yes, I've also noticed that sound distortion during heavy weapons action, and I also find it perfectly acceptable. In fact, I am amazed at how good this game runs.

Actually, it is not exactly a pop, more like a 'click', or 'tick', or 'tsk'. Very short and very faint... almost inaudible, if you are not wearing an earphones. Then it is noticeable. And it only happens just before the announcer says 'Welcome to...'. I've tried the game in a different PSP, and it is the same. So, it must be either a game bug, firmware issue or a UMD issue. Personally, I'd like it to be firmware, 'cause then there is a chance of it being fixed. Unfortunately, I don't know anyone near me who has WO:Pulse, so I can't try another UMD.

ZenDJiNN
4th January 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi shunjalo... :)

I play Pulse using headphones (Because i love to hear ALL the sounds) & i have also noticed that sound that you're describing. It's not very loud, and if you were not listening for it you probably wouldn't notice.

My guess is that because it's so quiet at the start of the race (Just before the count-in) it's very easy to hear even the slightest sound when using headphones, and perhaps also because the sample that's used, is not quite as smooth & clean as it could be.

I don't see it as a problem at all, but i do hear it often. It lets me know the count-in is coming! :)

swift killer
4th January 2008, 12:47 PM
When starting a race (any race, any track, any mode, online and off), there is a brief (very brief) but audible sound pop, just before the announcer voice. It goes *pop*Welcome to <name of track>. Does this occur to anyone else? What is interesting is that this doesn't happen always, but most of the time (8 out of 10).

Sounds like the pop might just me from the audio activating itself,it happens with all speakers/headfones when you activate sound or turn it on/off, what headphones are you using???

shunjalo
4th January 2008, 01:21 PM
Yes, that might be it. Good thinking. It is similar to the faint 'tsk' you hear when you turn the PSP on. Btw, I'm using Logitech PlayGear Stealth.

Anyway, this issue is not critical. I was just wondering if it is a game feature, or something else. Thanks for all the answers, really appreciate it. :)

swift killer
4th January 2008, 01:37 PM
Tip; Use iPod head phones with your PSP, sounds brilliant! and if you dj/mix, use your djing headphones.

bloseth
4th January 2008, 01:43 PM
You would actually have to rip my Koss Portapro headset from my dead, stiff fingers. Nothing beats them!

bloseth
9th January 2008, 08:14 AM
Sounds like the pop might just me from the audio activating itself,it happens with all speakers/headfones when you activate sound or turn it on/off, what headphones are you using???
By the way. Yesterday I could hear this too. Seems to be an ingame glitch, as my headphones are _perfect_ :robot