PDA

View Full Version : w'o"2097 on Mac OS (9 or X)

Kal Solar
2nd January 2008, 05:15 AM
Hi all!

I've been playing on the PS1 version for a long time, but now I don't have PS anymore (snif), so I play on the OSX version of the game.

Is there anyone else doing that here? If yes, then...

What are the differences between PC/MAC and PS1 versions?

Lion
8th January 2008, 09:28 AM
Hi!
I have 2097 installed on my mac too, the biggest differences are:
on mac it's a higher res :)
you can only use a negcon on ps :(
on mac you can choose the framerate it runs at, which changes the game speed relative to the default (30fps)

other than that it's pretty much the same. you might not have the same music either, but they are just mp3s and can be swapped out for whatever you like (I use the ps version soundtrack)

most of this does not apply to the windows version, as that needs hacked binaries to work at all. and even then it's iffy

JABBERJAW
11th January 2008, 01:45 PM
So you are saying that XL can run the correct speed on the MAC? Multiplayer? how many?
Maybe the Mac is good for something after all. I'll have to install it at the school and test it out. What do you need to run it? Are there any steering wheels for the Mac that might work with the game?

Lion
11th January 2008, 07:45 PM
multiplayer is available for windows as well and works at the correct speed.
though on the mac it's actually supported :P

you don't need a powerful machine, I use a first gen mac mini, runs fine.

Most joysticks designed for windows work on the mac, I haven't tried in a while, but I think I have played OK using an xbox360 controller

JABBERJAW
13th January 2008, 03:13 AM
LIon, how many can play at the same time?
Does the game run too fast, or correct?

Someone get the negcon working on this!!

Lion
13th January 2008, 10:26 AM
as long as it's set to 30fps mode, it runs fine. it asks on the startup dialogue what speed you want to use.
This is the dialogue box, click to see the fps options.
http://helix.net.nz/~lion/Pictures/WipEoutZone/2097startup1.png (http://helix.net.nz/~lion/Pictures/WipEoutZone/2097startup2.png)
As to multiplayer, I've never had the opportunity to use it.
Anyone keen/able to try?

I might be imagining things, but it seems like the steering from my xbox360 controller is analogue too :)

JABBERJAW
14th January 2008, 02:35 AM
What frame rate do you like to play on? this looks awesome if I can find the right controller. Curious as to if 15 players at once? Nice high resolutions. does it go to 1080p?

Lion
15th January 2008, 05:00 AM
I don't know if it's limited to 1024*768 or if it's detected that my graphics hardware sucks, but that's as high as the res options go on my mac.
I play with it set to 30fps. that's the default speed anyway. seconds count down correctly etc.
The XBox360 controller gets my recommendation
and I'd be amazed if it did more than 8 players to be honest. but yes. 15 would rock.

JABBERJAW
15th January 2008, 11:59 PM
Hey, can you tell me your configuration for your mac, or the specifications I guess(cpu speed, operating system), so if I get one, I get the right one for the game. This sounds promising for multiplayer online.

What should I expect to pay for one of these older models?

Vincent_VII
29th March 2008, 10:51 PM
Has anyone tried a usb playstation controller adapter + neGcon with this?

Mano
30th March 2008, 06:30 AM
...you can only use a negcon on ps :(...

you can use it with PC too, via a PS to PC adaptor, printer port as well as USB ones work well, however game detection of the controller is another issue.

ṪḞỤ
24th June 2008, 11:32 AM
I expect my PSX2USB Adapter to arrive this week. As soon as possible I'll try
and post the results.

phl0w
27th June 2008, 10:49 AM
I only own the PC and PSX versions of the game, but my laptop is a MacBook and I'd love to have WO "to go". Is WO2097 available as a free, legal download by now for MAC too, like on PC? If so, where?

Lance
27th June 2008, 08:19 PM
Is there actually a free, legal download of 2097/XL available for the PC? I have my doubts.

RJ O'Connell
27th June 2008, 10:47 PM
I'd imagine by now the game has become abandonware.

The question is, is your system too new for the game to run on? I know anything with XP doesn't run WipEout without the DOSbox.

Lance
27th June 2008, 11:05 PM
It is not abandonware; if they are using or contemplating the use of the basic game design on any platform whatever and/or are a still extant and functioning company, the game has not been abandoned or entered some sort of Limbo.

Frances_Penfold
28th June 2008, 04:47 AM
I *think* you can purchase an electronic (i.e., digital download) version of the game here:

http://www.deliver2mac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=231

I have been considering this for a while-- though the fact that I now have an intel-based macbook gives me pause, it's not clear whether (or how well) the game would actually run. Anybody know?

Edit-- also listed here:

http://www.vpltd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=181

The requirements are vague about compatibility with new macs, and specify OSX versions below 10.5, for what that's worth...

JABBERJAW
5th January 2009, 04:05 PM
Ok, can one of you guys who owns a mac help me a little here. I have my mac mini set up, but have no idea how to get 2097 to run, it just shows mac2097, and 2097 on the screen as icons, and clicking on either does not the game, one tries to go to itunes. could someone walk me through getting this thing to work?

Also, how would I go about getting my ps3 usb controller to work with it?

If you can walk me through the process, like you are telling it to someone who has no idea what the heck they are doing. :)

Darkdrium777
5th January 2009, 05:02 PM
I've no idea how to make it work on MAC, but:

Google Search (http://www.google.ca/search?q=MAC+OS+PS3+controller+USB+driver&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:fr:official&client=firefox-a)
First search result (http://www.ps3forums.com/showthread.php?t=74280)
Website (http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Ps3Controller)

Good luck, maybe someone else can help you :)

JABBERJAW
5th January 2009, 05:17 PM
the controller I use is only usb, no bluetooth. Also I fixed my last post, neither icons run the game.

Darkdrium777
5th January 2009, 05:21 PM
Is it a PS3 official controller? (SIXAXIS, DUALSHOCK) I have the driver for Windows (http://www.clubic.com/telecharger-fiche72766-driver-pour-manette-ps3-sixaxis.html) and it works, but I don't know of any for MAC.

JABBERJAW
5th January 2009, 06:16 PM
no, thrustmaster wired controller

AG-wolf
5th January 2009, 06:45 PM
al, take a screenshot (Command-shift-3) and lemme see what it looks like. I have 2097 for mac and I had it half-running on my 6500 a while back. I think my friend had it up and running on his Mac Mini at one point... you may just need to drag one of the folders to your hard drive and launch it from there

JABBERJAW
6th January 2009, 01:24 AM
I need to get a disk (which I do not have) of mac os9 or 10 and launch the classic environment. I think I can get one from the school. thanks guys

AG-wolf
6th January 2009, 03:54 AM
to run "classic" you need to have a PowerPC based mac, and it has to run behind OS X.... but I thnik the newer version of OS X no longer even supports classic.

If you have 10.4 or earlier, you have to try to launch classic, then I believe it asks you for an os9 cd if you don't have 9 installed already. Best to update to 9.2 to make sure you have the most up to date system software and stuff. I've got a plethora of classic mac stuff if you need anything, al.

JABBERJAW
6th January 2009, 04:02 PM
check you pm eric, thanks

JABBERJAW
13th January 2009, 12:05 AM
Ok got the classic working, but when I select "play game" The intro loads up, then after the intro is done, it goes back to the main blue mac screen. Any ideas why this is happening?

designer_79
20th February 2009, 04:50 AM
Wow, until reading through the forum, I didn't even know 2097 for MAC exists ... the higher resolution over the PC-version was a given, because the standard resolution for Mac's is 100 dpi ... Anyway, downloading from deliver2mac.com ( why the hell is 2097 more expensive than WOHD from the PSN-store ;-) ) ... I also downloaded the PS3-controller driver for MAC , Thank you so much for the find Darkdrium :beer

After getting home from work I'll try to get it running, to sort out all questions related to the OS, and let you guys know ... I still use a 5-year old Powerbook G4 (no Intel machine) running on OSX 10.4.11 (latest and last update of OSX 'Tiger'). So I will also install the Classic environment and check every possible setting.

Back in teen-years memories :) WipEout nostalgia , Hail to the fat cat *pure excitement*

designer_79
20th February 2009, 08:37 AM
OK guys, I can give you an update (couldn't wait until getting home , so my work suffered badly today :redface:)

Step by step - guide as follows:

1. Open the downloaded *.dmg file by doubleklick , normally right after download a .dmg file activates automatically.

2. There should be 2 folders within the dmg , one contains the manual in pdf. format and a readme file in rtf format. The other one is the actual game-folder containing all the data

3. Drag the folders anywhere you want on your harddrive (usually you want to place the game-folder in the applications folder of your mac)

4. Start the game by doubleclicking the 'wipeOut 2097' icon in the copied game-folder

5. A startup-screen will appear where you can choose Resolution and frame rate (and aaaaw i still like that sweet Psygnosis-Logo they delivered awesome games for the PS1 , anyone played G-Police???)

- Hit play game and there we go ...

My game is starting and running flawlessly under MAC OSX 10.4 (Tiger) on a PowerBook G4 , no need to install or run the Classic environment ... I am using the latest update 10.4.11 , but the specs say it will run under OS9 too
... The site i purchased from (deliver2mac.com) though remark, that it was designed for PPC's and might not run on a Intel-driven Mac ...

Updates on the use of a PS3 controller together with the PB will follow.

Hope this info helps, attached are screenshots of the installation process.

designer_79
22nd February 2009, 06:20 AM
OK ond so for everyone who ever wondered how to use the original PS3 controller together with your Mac , it works ... :) ... Therefor no need to buy new hardware for the gaming experience off PS3.

Actually you need 2 little programs (one is free , the other one unfortunately not).

Start with installing this little tool developed by a guy who wants to run every kind of Controller on a Mac ... (it's the one you get for free)

- http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Ps3Controller
( Darkdrium found this one, so all credits to him :beer )

Unfortunately the guy somehow stuck with the early version and it only makes the controller just recognizable by your Mac. To make it fully operational (and customizable) you'll need a second tool , that you can find here

- http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/utilities/gamepadcompanion.html (Demo version works 40 days afterwards u need to register for 15$ so in total the legal way of WO nostalgia will sum up to 30$)

This program will add an entry to your preference pane, recognize the PS3 controller connected via USB cable, (no bluetooth suport yet) and make every button customizable to every desired key or key-combination.
I tried the WO2097 in-game option for the settings of the joystick and it only works if you installed this gamepadcompanion thingy before. But it works very well, even the sticks work smoothly ...

Hope this answers all your questions related to play the MAC version of Wipeout 2097.

There's one letdown though, although it seems not very hard to make a port to the MAC, the guys of VP somehow messed up the textures, everything seems faded out with some greyish tone. The 'F-Keys' let you turn on/off the sky, the engine trails of the ship, so experiment a little with these settings, but the textures always look the same kind of faded :( ... The game itself runs very very smooth though. And it's really an alternative for everyone who for some reason cannot play the PS1 original anymore or wants a WO2097 on a laptop to play this piece of nostalgia everywhere.

designer_79
10th March 2009, 02:43 AM
Another small update , just read that only the latest Version (1.3) of Wipeout for Mac will run under OSX. The earlier versions haven't been 'carbonized' and need the classic environment to run. So for everybody, try to download the latest update and give it another run under OSX.

JABBERJAW
25th November 2009, 03:44 PM
OK, XL is now up and running, it runs and looks excellent, plays like ps1 xl, only smoother. It didn't seem to matter where I set the FPS, it ran the same on all settings, and it was faster than 30.

How do it get to controller config on my mac mini ? there doesn't seem to be a controller config option there.

Koleax
26th November 2009, 12:33 AM
Press down arrow until "options," hit enter, and then press the down arrow again to highlight "controller setup" and hit enter.

I just use the keyboard. Were you referring to setting up something else, like a Playstation controller?

JABBERJAW
26th November 2009, 05:43 AM
No, the controller needs to be set up on the computer before entering the game.

AG-wolf
26th November 2009, 01:19 PM
OS X should have a controller setup-option in the control panel...in OS 9 it was something called "InputSprocket" but I don't know how OS X handles stuff like that.