PDA

View Full Version : The ambient sound problems

Dogg Thang
31st December 2007, 12:30 PM
Other people have mentioned that the crowd noise seems to be missing, as it seems to be on mine. Someone mentioned that their Fort Gale definitely has crowd noises, but I just checked mine and there seems to be none. More than that, I turned off the music and there don't seem to be any ambient sounds.

The ship sounds and weapons etc are all intact but nothing else.

Anyone know what's up with the sound or if there is a way to fix it? I've tried a few more track since and can't hear anything. Now it's possible aside from crowd noises that there aren't any more trackside sounds - is that the case?

Flashback Jack
31st December 2007, 12:49 PM
There are plenty of ambient sounds apart from crowd noises. There are the sounds of pistons firing aplenty on Talon's Junction, the sound of rain and thunder on Fort Gale, etc. Surprised you don't hear any of it.

There's a sound setting in your PSP's configuration that has an effect on the overall volume in the game. The exact name of the setting escapes me, but make sure it's disabled.

- F

mdhay
31st December 2007, 01:43 PM
Try turning off the Dynamic Normalizer or AVLS. Or change that equaliser thing to 'off' (The button next to 'select')

Hope it helps.

Dogg Thang
31st December 2007, 02:52 PM
Where do I find the dynamic normaliser? I'll give that a go. Outpost 7 still definitely has wind noise so it's weird Fort Gale currently seems to be missing it.

mdhay
31st December 2007, 03:21 PM
In the Music/Sound menu. The avls is in the power save menu.

Flashback Jack
31st December 2007, 04:04 PM
Yeah, that's what I meant.

- F

Dogg Thang
31st December 2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks, I got those now although they were both already set to 'off'. I've done a few tests now and there's definitely something really off with my sound. Not that I'd wish problems on you guys but I'm hoping I'm not the only one and I'm hoping there's a way to fix it.

If I'm on a tournament and put my psp into sleep mode then start it up again, every race in that tournament will have no ambient sounds at all as far as I can tell. Completely gone. However, starting from the main menu (for example the first race of a tournament or a single race), I'll have sounds. But, strangely, not always all of them. For example, starting a sinle race on Fort Gale, I had no crowd sounds at all. But I did have rain, thunder and the noise of that round tunnel during the opening sequence. When the ships start up, however, the levels are so low on the ambient sounds that they're very hard to hear.

Doing a complete restart of the system and selecting Fort Gale again, I had crowd sounds back but the sound of that tunnel was completely gone. Overall the ambient sounds seemed louder. Playing a few more races (without going into sleep) my PSP seemed to drop more and more sounds until I was back to silence.

When you turn the music off, the voice vanishes from the race intros so it's easy to hear what's missing and what's not.

It's a shame because someone must have put a lot of work into the sounds and I used to love racing Pure with no music to hear the sounds.

mdhay
31st December 2007, 05:54 PM
Try removing the disc, turning off the system, removing the battery, then charging with it without it being switched on. After All, I'm sure there's a lonely, upset copy of WipEout 3 somewhere ;)

Medusa
31st December 2007, 10:34 PM
Oh it's not lonely. It's at my house.8)

Lance
1st January 2008, 12:58 AM
I played mine yesterday. Attempted to, anyway. I seem to have forgotten how.

Dogg Thang
1st January 2008, 09:24 AM
I'm so confused - how did WO3 get into this?

mdhay
1st January 2008, 09:39 AM
I mean that there may be a copy of wo3 at your house that you havent played because of the almighty Pulse. Read my previous post.

Dogg Thang
1st January 2008, 10:52 AM
I guess I'm just missing slightly what that might have to do with the Pulse sound issues.

BARTgai
1st January 2008, 06:23 PM
um, yeah.....back on topic. i figured out the only way to get the crowd sounds, is to quit the game to the home menu, start up the game (and make sure you dont go into sleep mode. thats what makes the crowd sounds go away )

zargz
1st January 2008, 06:48 PM
they (the crowd) fall asleep?

http://geocities.com/zargz/leenden/lol.gif

I never turn off my psp unless the battery runs out or I need to change game
which hasn't happen often since I got Pulse!

8)

Ash-Omen
1st January 2008, 08:19 PM
sounds like a ram problem cos u said its get worse the more u play maybe the ram is filling up alittle too much and therefor not enough room for more sounds too run, does ur game ever crash?

could jus be a dodgy copy of the game see if u can test in another psp

G'Kyl
1st January 2008, 08:22 PM
they (the crowd) fall asleep?

LOL, wonderful! :-) It's not a bug, it's a feature. :)

BARTgai
1st January 2008, 08:39 PM
a RAM problem? Well, if it runs on the PSP phat, then it shouldnt have any problems with the slims 64mb RAM

Dogg Thang
1st January 2008, 09:09 PM
Actually, who is on a slim? I'm on a slim and have the problem. Do people with the original model have this problem?

Ash-Omen
1st January 2008, 11:56 PM
Actually, who is on a slim? I'm on a slim and have the problem. Do people with the original model have this problem?

im on phat, lol thats wat u get for having a better model than us phats :lol

G'Kyl
2nd January 2008, 05:47 AM
I'm on the old model as well. Disappearing sound problems so far only after returning from sleep mode while in the middle of a race (any race mode). I get no engine sounds then, which is kind of cool, because 1.) you get a chance to listen to many sounds that otherwise you recognize only on a subconscious level as you are usually hardly aware of them and 2.) all sounds return in the next race. :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
2nd January 2008, 03:23 PM
Thats really quite strange, I didn't loose my sounds on Fort Gale when I stuck my PSP in sleep mode, twice in a row in fact. I have the slim PSP though.

Dogg Thang
3rd January 2008, 08:07 AM
I've been doing some more tests. I thought it might be a cache problem so I turned off the RAM caching but that didn't seem to help. I also thought it might be a save file problem as I noticed that, even with RAM caching off, the game accesses the memory stick after coming back from sleep but even switching memory stick and running a new profile didn't seem to help.

So it seems really weird to me that people like Rapier Racer aren't having the same problem but others are to different degrees. I'm really at a loss now to figure out what's happening. I can't imagine it's a faulty UMD or anything - I would have thought the chances of that would be slim to none.

Anyone else have any more ideas? Is there anyone else here with similar problems who have noticed any connections with any features or anything?

mdhay
3rd January 2008, 09:23 AM
I would just keep re-starting the race. it might just be taking a long time to clear up.Chances are I'm incorrect, but there's always that chance.

Rapier Racer
3rd January 2008, 05:18 PM
What about firmware versions did we compare those? I'm not running the latest update yet I believe its 3.80? I'm still on 3.71.

Dogg Thang
3rd January 2008, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I'm on that too. I should probably upgrade to see if it helps.

Dogg Thang
8th January 2008, 01:40 PM
Just an update with the current end of story. End because I'm at a loss, not because I fixed it.

I upgraded to firmware 3.8 but no change unfortunately. So here's just about everything I tried:

Both firmware 3.71 (loaded straight from Pulse UMD) and 3.8 (downloaded through network update).
Tested without memory stick and with different memory stick.
Tested with RAM chaching turned off.
Tested with the ALVS (or whatever it is) turned off and on.
Tested with Dynamic Normaliser turned off and on.
Tested on both an old fat PSP and my new slim & lite.

The only thing I haven't been able to test is another copy of Pulse as I don't have one. I can't imagine it's a bad UMD though, could it be?

So what I'm left with is crowd sounds that vanish completely after one instance of sleep and the other ambient sounds disappearing in what seems to be a pretty inconsistant way. I can't keep track of what is triggering the disappearances. Sometimes Fort Gale has no sounds at all. Sometimes I have rain sounds. I only heard sirens on Metropia (or was it Arc Prime?) for the very first time while doing these tests. They were always gone by the time I got to that track before.

I have to say, it's really frustrating and disappointing because the sounds that are there, and the sounds that I can hear on the first race after a complete game restart, are really good and someone obviously put effort into them but, for the most part, I'm not able to hear them. I find it odd more people aren't commenting on it, making me wonder if my copy is indeed dodgy.

I'm guessing this won't be the sort of thing fixable in a download?

Frances_Penfold
8th January 2008, 04:03 PM
It's not just you, Dogg-- I use sleep mode A LOT and usually race with the soundtrack off, and I am definitely noticing this as well. (Probably lots of folks tend to pump out the tunes when playing Wipeout so don't notice the loss of ambient noises-- hence lack of response to the thread.)

Haven't done nearly as much experimenting as you-- but I definitely notice loss of the crowd and also bird noises (the gulls at Metropia and the songbirds and Red Tail Hawk on Vertica) after use of sleep mode. As you say, the loss of some sounds is inconsistent-- sometimes I hear course noises in parts of the track and then everything goes silent.

This is the sort of things that many (or most) users probably won't notice or care about-- but I personally agree with you, I am pretty disappointed to loose the ambient sounds. I love the brilliant design and small touches that make Wipeout tracks feel so "alive," and it's a shame to loose part of this.

=> FOR FOLKS that aren't noticing the loss of ambient sounds... try this: (1) turn off the soundtrack; (2) go to racebox and select a Vertica black speedlap event; (3) go through the track, and notice the locations where you can hear the crowd; (4) notice that at the top of the hill, before the vertical drop, you can hear songbirds and the redtail hawk; (5) pause the game, and put it into sleep mode; (6) proceed to race again. You should loose both the crowd noises and the birds, with inconsistent play-back of other track noises.

ZenDJiNN
8th January 2008, 09:01 PM
You're right. Never noticed it before but i've just tried that & it happened exactly as you said. Amazing how i never noticed it before but then i usually have the Music on pretty much most of the time. :)

swift killer
9th January 2008, 02:44 AM
Has anyone experienced the sound from the game on surround sound? You should try it, the only thing that makes it aukward is that your holding the PSP in you hand and 9 times out of 10 looking down at the screen as opposed to looking at a big screen.

Dogg Thang
9th January 2008, 10:02 AM
Well it's nice to know it's not just my copy I guess. Still... very frustrating. I'd love to know if it can be fixed at all. Or if SL is even aware of it. I would have thought it's something that would have been fairly obvious in bug testing.

If they know about it, maybe it will be fixed in the US release. On the one hand, I'd love to get a bug-free version. On the other, I guess I'd feel resentful that I bought a version that wasn't properly tested or that didn't have the time given to fixing it. But then I bought three copies of Pure so two copies of Pulse wouldn't be the end of the world.

BARTgai
10th January 2008, 03:02 AM
yeah, i feel the same way. My parents imported Pulse as a gift for me, but I am worried that what i got was unfinished and full of bugs. That wasn't cheap either. I still have some cash, so i may hve to buy a US copy after all. a shame, because my parents spent a lot of money making sure i got pulse for christmas.

:|