PDA

View Full Version : The small Things

Sausehuhn
29th December 2007, 06:20 PM
That's what this thread is about. Because Pulse and HD will most likely have a lot in common it's probably easier to say which things annoy you or which things should stay.
And I'm just talking about small things like menu options, design specific aspects and the like here. Stuff that's still changable in the already very late stage of the game. No "I wanna get rid off the magstrips" or "get this and that track in".

I'll try to keep it clean here, so please give just a simple headline for your feature and explain it with a few words or sentences.
Headlines in capital letters and bold.

THE HUD
WOPulse did really well here, maybe it's even the best HUD ever. Please stay with the possibility to turn it into flat or concave or off. Maybe it's even possible to personalize the HUD? Turn certain info off or on? Nice for Time Trial or Zone where you just need very little information. Maybe even save these configs to different slots and assign them to the different modes?
Ah, and this (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showpost.php?p=76669&postcount=153).

SPEEDPAD EFFECT
Very nice in Pulse. I like the glow when passing a speedpad or activating a turbo. The additional thrusters is the icing on the cake. Stay with that!

DEFAULT SETTING
That's already done here and there in Pulse, but not continiuous. If you select menu item XY it should stay as default till you change it so you don't have to scroll through the whole selection screen again and again.

PHOTO MODE
If in WOHD again, please make it possible whenever you're in the game; in menus, after races, in races, simply everytime. How? There are enough buttons on the PS3 controller. For example SELECT. SELECT won't be used for anything anyway because it's triangle for change view and L1 to look back. A combination of where to set the camera would be nice, too. Zoom in/out and rotate the camera. Also for this there are enough buttons to do so.

RESCUE CRAFT
Was there in WOF then never seen again. AG-racing must be a very dangerous sport if the pilot explodes with the craft. I can understand it for WOPure and WOPulse due to the limitations of the system, but if the PS2 had enough power to rescue a pilot, then the PS3 should have it even more.

LOADING SCREEN
I do understand that new players like tips while loading, but after a while they just get on your nerves. If I still don't know what a quake does in Phantom then I'm playing the wrong game. So let's just go back to 2097's screen where you got a few info about the tracks and the ships and alike. Or simply go back to Pure's.

THE MENU
Sure, that's a matter of taste. In comparison with Pure Pulse's menus look very un-WipEouty. I though WO was all about minimalism and nice graphic design. Maybe I'm wrong but I would like to see that again. And from what I've seen at the official page and the vids from the G|C in Leipzig, SL is just on the right way!

CUSTOM SOUNDTRACK
Needless to say that a come-back is appreciated. It was nice if all MP3 will work and their names/tags aren't limited to a predefined number of characters.

VISUAL DAMAGE
Hah! Anybody remembers this? That was dropped for Pulse. Is it there for HD again? Maybe that goes too much into the "big things" direction, so I won't gonna get into it.

FORCE WALL
First seen in WOPulse and a really nice addition. I like the effect when something's hitting the wall very much. Can't wait to see that in high-def with an even more animated and stunning effect. But: you ship should take damage from the force wall, too. In the end some turns in Pulse are easier when you fly over the side panels because of that.

FIXED CAMERA
Far camera should be bug-free for Magstrip sections.

MUSIC VOLUME
Should be adjustable in 10%-steps rarther than 25% steps.

FINISH LINE
Yes that's a very small thing and goes down to taste as well. But from what I've seen of WOHD the finsih line laser looks like everything but a laser. Give it a bright glowing blue (or red if you want to stay with that). But for now (and I know the game changes pretty much every week) the laser is barely visible.

BARREL ROLL
It's a small thing because it's just a matter of getting rid of code or not. If you really want to stay with it (I don't want to start a discussion whether they are good in general or not) just implement them if you can guarantee that they really work in every game mode and every time you want to make one. Then you can start discussion. If you can't guarantee it get rid of them as fast as I can say "rid of".

That's it for now. I'll update my post when I found more. Maybe everybody should do that with his post and add a small note when you've updated your list :)

RingoSpoon
29th December 2007, 07:10 PM
Stuff that's still changable in the already very late stage of the game.

I would imagine that nothing would be changeable at this late stage. Oh, and BR's are going to be in im sure ;) yay!!

stin
29th December 2007, 07:29 PM
I would like the race records as defaults,so the records don`t get wasted.

stevie:)

Frances_Penfold
29th December 2007, 07:53 PM
I'd REALLY like to see the return of Free-Play mode for Wipeout HD, please :)

I miss it in Wipeout Pulse...

cybrpnk
29th December 2007, 08:10 PM
Sorry SL but I'd have to agree on the point about Pulse's loading screens being too much like something out of Need for Speed rather than WipEout. I understand taht you were probably trying to cater for newcomers to the series, but WipEout's loading screens have always been about just pure style...like in 2097 and especially Pure which I really liked...can't remember what Wip3out was like...

mdhay
29th December 2007, 09:19 PM
Wip3out's loading screen just said "loading_".

supersocks
29th December 2007, 11:14 PM
You forgot to mention that the underline character was blinking. And important detail. ;)

Speaking of blinking... what's up with those elements in pure, pulse and hd websites who appear and then blink quickly few times? That doesn't make sense to me, can't seem to get what they're emulating with it. More importantly, they're annoying.

swift killer
30th December 2007, 05:20 PM
Animated rudders/fins as well as the airbrakes and make it possible to dodge missiles and rockets at the last moment.

Chill
30th December 2007, 06:42 PM
I think I've brought this up before, but, uhh, oh well... instead of pilot pictures within the game, we could have our very own pilot pics of us on their... and when playing online, people could see you??

So far, I agree with the rescue pilot, but if you think about it, the lazer finish line doesn't necessarely need to be THAT visible, I mean, doesn't the computer within it sense when you've passed it anyway?? So their should be no doubt that it's wrong, right??

supersocks
31st December 2007, 10:28 AM
Just came to mind... I hope they do something to the ion trails since in current shots they still look a bit too 'layered' and sharp. Like few transparent tubes inside each other (isn't that what they are?). And turn the colour to more blueish. And make them longer. :)

G'Kyl
1st January 2008, 02:01 PM
One more small thing I noticed still being there in Pulse: Contrary to what WipEout games tell you, falling off the track DOES ruin a perfect lap. Is there a sensible reason that you can fall off and still get a PL?

Ben

Chill
4th January 2008, 11:40 AM
I would think falling off the track would be just as bad, actually worse than hitting into a wall...

Sausehuhn
28th May 2008, 04:58 AM
There should be an option to turn motion blur on and off.

eLhabib
28th May 2008, 10:19 AM
Honestly, I don't see how people can complain about the motion blur who haven't yet actively experienced it (means played the game). I think it is a very good addition to the overall speed feeling, and, as I mentioned before in another thread, what's really cool is when you are going over multiple pads in succession, the blur makes your adrenaline go up since you get some kind of tunnel vision and feel like you're losing control. But I could be imagining things... ;)

Sausehuhn
28th May 2008, 11:54 AM
I didn't say I don't like it. Infact I like it very much for NFSU for example. But I know I race much better without it.
And I see no problem in adding an option so more players are satisfied :)

mdhay
28th May 2008, 12:58 PM
Would a Wip3out - esque cockpit view where if flying a ship like Goteki you can see the hulls look good? 8)

infoxicated
28th May 2008, 02:18 PM
Not really, 'cos you couldn't see most of the track.

In fact, with the Mirage/Mantis you wouldn't be able to see anything at all!

Egg
28th May 2008, 02:19 PM
Wipeout 3 got round it though. They just omitted the prongs and nosecones.

eLhabib
28th May 2008, 02:25 PM
well in wipEout 3 it's basically just the nosecam with an object stuck in front of it, isn't it? It's not the view from the actual position of the cockpit, so I guess this wouldn't be suitable as an approach nowadays...

Xavier
30th May 2008, 05:15 PM
This may run some traditionalists the wrong way, but I can't stand the proportionally-spaced fonts they use for displaying times, speeds, etc.

I don't mean the actual forms of the letters; the problem is that not all the numbers are the same width. It looks really unbalanced. Check out the sample run of Zone on Youtube and pay attention to the score at the top center part of the screen -- when yuo get past 20,000, and all the numbers are "full-width" (i. e., no "1"s), the score edges out of the right side of the window.

It's entirely possible to design a futuristic, stylish font where all the numbers are the same width. Do it.

Darkdrium777
1st June 2008, 02:13 AM
This thread is titled "The small things" so I thought it would be appropriate to place this here.

Here is something I just noticed while watching the newer WipEout HD trailer.

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/9322/wohdfx400od0.th.jpg (http://img71.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wohdfx400od0.jpg)

I thought WipEout HD was FX-350... Is it? Was this just a placeholder because the real texture was not made yet? I hope it is, because it's a bit out of context, the FX-400 isn't supposed to exist yet according to the story.

infoxicated
2nd June 2008, 12:09 PM
They exist concurrently, although that shouldn't be there it looks like footage from quite an old build. Mind you, with the kind of attention to detail that left a WipEout Pure logo on the WipEout Pulse UMD, it wouldn't entirely shock me if it was there in the final release.

Linchpin
2nd June 2008, 01:48 PM
Haha look at those awnings above the crowd , they look nice and lambert-ish untextured to me :D
Guessing that footage was from a really old build , I'm surprised they put old build untextured stuff in the trailer .

Darkdrium777
2nd June 2008, 05:20 PM
Well this is the trailer with the "Gravity ends in 2008" at the end, and it's a few months old so hopefully everything in this shot was corrected...

rdmx
3rd June 2008, 07:02 AM
*SL Graphic Designer is currently reading the wipeoutzone forum, stumbles upon this thread
*SL Graphic Designer frenzedly checks game assets
*SL Graphic Designer shireks "aieeeeee!!!", and hurries off to correct it. :)

Also, I think the colour of the FX300 logo on the Pulse UMD is slightly different to the Pure UMD. More of the greenish colour used in Pulse.

RJ O'Connell
2nd July 2008, 03:37 AM
(regarding a Wipeout 3 cockpit view mode for Wipeout HD) Not really, 'cos (sic) you couldn't see most of the track. In fact, with the Mirage/Mantis you wouldn't be able to see anything at all!
Then how do those Mirage pilots get around the track? O_o

rdmx
2nd July 2008, 06:57 AM
I will echo the thoughts of Hollywood directors.
"Hollywood? Hollywood doesn't have to make sense! Let's make guns have infinite ammo, lipstick not come off in water and when it's night, it isn't really dark, just bluish!" :dizzy

Wipeout graphics designer: "It doesn't have to make sense, coz it looks *beep* sweet!" :g

omega329
2nd July 2008, 08:41 PM
Then how do those Mirage pilots get around the track? O_o
Maybe the forks have LCD panels on them, live feeds of the track?

mdhay
4th July 2008, 04:42 PM
A coffin system?

omega329
4th July 2008, 08:13 PM
yeah, I guess it would be similar to that...
Ace X strikes again!

Yagya
29th July 2008, 06:08 AM
i agree with the trails needing some more touch ups. perhaps let the trails warp; even warp as someone passes in front of another racer, making a wind-tunnel effect onto the other car. longer trails is a nice call as well.

i want a cockpit view. for cone shaped ships it could work, but for the fork shaped ones, i don't know. maybe transparency/opacity.

i kind of want damage shown, but at the same time i like how they always look together. i liked in F-zero GX how the pilots would actually turn the steering wheel. also have to agree with showing panel movement like airbrakes and turning and such.

when i was watching the 8+ min video that showed Zone mode. my brain melted with the music visualizations all over the ground and walls. i want MOAR! i want different visualizations; maybe like line graph-esque, spectrum type ones.

i was blown away seeing the equalizer bars on the Zone track. amazing AMAZING touch. thank you for that team!