PDA

View Full Version : Cloak = Shield?

Vasudeva
25th June 2002, 09:25 AM
While recently playing WO3, I noticed that having a cloak makes your ship invulnerable for wall damage. I'm not sure if you don't lose shield energy from weapon hits either, but I thought the first fact sufficiently odd to mention it here.

Does it exist on all PAL versions (and NTSC too) or is it just my copy which is bugged?

Peace,
V.

infoxicated
25th June 2002, 09:53 AM
Not something I've noticed before... but then, I never hit the wall... yeah, right! ;)

Might fire it up today and check on that :)

Sven
25th June 2002, 02:51 PM
I don't think I have ever taken damage at all with a cloak.

FoxZero
25th June 2002, 04:45 PM
fly over mines with a cloak.. youll take some damage for sure :)

xEik
25th June 2002, 06:41 PM
I'm almost sure mines make no damage with a cloak on. Can't check it now, though.

Lance
25th June 2002, 08:37 PM
the cloak is not a protection from mines, but it will protect you from the auto-tracking missiles. and it seems to make it nearly impossible to get hit by unguided rockets, but i did take a hit from a rocket about 2 weeks ago while i was cloaked. i was very surprised. '' WTF?'' i said to myself! i do seem to remember feeling like the cloak softens the blow a bit when hitting a wall, but usually i'm too busy trying to get control of the ship at that point to look at what happened to the shield-strength gauge!

Task
26th June 2002, 09:44 PM
I hadn't ever noticed that, but it does make sense.
The most important virtue of cloak is that it's the only defense from Quake, and Quake damage is really just "being smacked by walls" damage.

Phoenix
1st August 2002, 07:30 AM
i find that cloaks act like sheilds (i'm using PAL version). although i haven't tested it on mines or rockets, i find that smacking into other players and walls doesn't seem to affect your sheilds when it is activated

zargz
13th August 2002, 02:48 AM
cloak does NOT protect from quake, mines, wall hits or ROCKETS
lance the AI probably had allready shot when u tunr on the cloak so the rockets
just continued and hit u :wink:
missiles cant lock u

imo the feature shold have been included in the multiplayer mode Only!

Vasudeva
13th August 2002, 03:41 PM
cloak does NOT protect from (...) wall hits

Yes it does. You don't lose shield energy.

V.

zargz
15th August 2002, 12:59 AM
AAAAAAAAAAAARGH! u r right!
.. I'm right too .. but in w3se!!! I checked it there :D

so does cloak protect from wall hits?

wo3 - yes

wo3se - NO! :wink:

Vasudeva
15th August 2002, 09:08 AM
But this is the W3 message board... WAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Sorry. :D

Peace,
V.

zargz
15th August 2002, 01:10 PM
so I noticed .. :roll:

Eins2001
2nd October 2002, 11:21 PM
Hmm... I dun think the cloak works like a shield, but I hardly pay attention to things like that! :)

Viso
19th November 2002, 01:26 PM
I've been using the NSTC version of Wipeout 3 a bit too much lately, and I have seen cloak protect me from those slams against the wall I've been trying to avoid. I even thought I saw it protect my shield energy, but not speed, when hitting a mine. I was trying to win a race, though, so I might have seen it wrong about the mine. I'm not wrong about hitting the wall because I try to take those turns a little too fast. But then, I managed to finish Stanza Inter in under 2:22 at Rapier level with Fiesar without using air breaks.

DJ Techno
19th November 2002, 02:55 PM
The Cloak weapon was first introduced in Wipeout 64, it was Pirhana's Special weapon.
When the weapon was activated, the ship was invunerable, to attacks of any kind. It even had its own kind of attack, but only on the 64 version. When you hit a ship while cloaked, you can do a whole lot of damage to it. If you want, you could completely destroy an enemy, with one or three hits (swipes).

I was surprised to see a weapon, so impressive, and powerful not used in Wipeout 3 like that. Of course, instead its a defensive weapon now, and like Wipeout 64, it can't be hurt. Cloak protects you from everything, except the Plasma bolt, shields block that.