i enjoy

big groovy funker
switchback
down the river
synthesia (sp)

and i hate bassheads!! argh!

infoxicated
25th June 2002, 09:40 AM
Big groovy funker sums up Wipeout Fusion for me in the same way that Avenue and Control sum up Wipeout 3. :)

Wamdue
25th June 2002, 12:06 PM
I like ..forgot the name..uhm.. Amethyst? or something.. and Funny breaks or something.. amethyst is like going pretty fast in the beginning, but when you reach the climax of your race, the music gets like.. very calm and atmospheric.. i love that

Sven
25th June 2002, 02:55 PM
I don't even know their names.....

Sparta(Assegai)
25th June 2002, 05:24 PM
yeah i agree with the amethyst song.. that exact part is cool.. during zone with that song.. one of the best experiences ever :D

Armoredgear7
27th June 2002, 02:55 AM
amethyst is pretty good, dont have it on my playlist. ive listened to it to death on my audio cd of the game music that i burned

my personal favs are FSOL & Timo Maas... i love the speaker pounding bass of "Old School Vibes"

Bob Todd
27th June 2002, 07:53 AM
Definitely Bob Brazil's Big 10, and Utah Saints' Sick. I like FSOL's Papua New Guinea too; I bought the single with that track on it but it turned out to be a radio edit version with all the best bits cut out. I used to love Bassheads as well, but I bought the full album and it's the only really decent track on there (there are a couple that come close, though). It doesn't really have the same effect listening to it when you're not WipEing.

viper
30th August 2002, 10:09 AM
I really like Bolt Up by Luke Slater, it's hard, cool and modern, jut like Wipeout.

AmishRobot
30th August 2002, 02:28 PM
Amethyst's Blue Funk is my favorite track for the reasons Wamdue mentioned, but I agree with foxxy that Big Groovy Fu(n)ker feels most like the 'theme' to WOF.

Of course, you can't go wrong with Papua New Guinea. Has anyone picked up the 10th anniversary of Accelerator, with all the remixes on it? I want to get it, but I'm too broke/lazy.

Sven
30th August 2002, 09:57 PM
I'm a bit partial to Bolt Up

Vasudeva
31st August 2002, 09:08 AM
For me it has to be "Krushyn" by Elite Force I believe, with limited but ok vocal sample and a ripping intro. Gives a tremendous sense of power to actually crush your opponents with that music!

Peace,
V.

jmoid
15th September 2002, 03:18 PM
the BT track is my favourite, can't remeber the name...

if you like big groovy funker and the fusion soundtrack in general i'd definitely recommend checking some nu-skool breaks - "plump night out" by the plump DJs", "soul trader" by ils, anything on tcr http://www.tcr.uk.com or marine parade http://www.marineparade.net , also go to http://www.breaksworld.com and download the free mp3 "jfk" by stisch because it rocks :) and have a look at http://www.nubreaks.com and http://www.soundofhabib.com

AmishRobot
15th September 2002, 06:43 PM
You know, I still have trouble identifying different sub-genres of electronic music.

I mean, what exactly is the difference between House and Deep House? Breakbeat and Nu-Skool Breaks? Progressive House and Goa Trance?

Maybe I'm an idiot. Yeah, I can definitely tell a difference between basic styles. New York-style diva House from the early 90's is the very reason I stopped listening to electronic music for several years, until I finally heard some Orbital (thanks to Wipeout :)). But when it comes down to listening to a track and being able to identify what technical aspects put it into what genre, outside of the difference between a 4/4 House beat and a breakbeat, I'm lost.

This came to my mind because this morning I dug up an old cassette I had of a Messiah track (spurred by watching the Running Man). While I was listening to it I thought, "This is awful, but at least I know what I'm listening to: bad rave music."

Synthetic Consciousness
16th September 2002, 12:22 AM
It can be rather difficult to discern the myriad sub-genres of electronica. This site should help: http://phobos.plato.nl/e-primer/ :)

Lance
16th September 2002, 07:50 PM
i don't feel any need to classify music to such a extreme degree. even defining a category on tiny little differences is not going to tell you whether you like an individual piece or not. is it the conformance to a rigidly defined, multi-part list of style elements that makes so many of us like Sasha's Xpander? i can't tell from a classification whether i will like a piece or not; nor will describing a piece's exact place in the system to a friend tell that friend if they will like it or not. i just say to someone who shares my general tastes ''i like it, maybe you'll like it too.'' but they have to listen to it to tell. so i'm wondering what purpose is served by the classification system. i welcome everyone's explanation of what benefits it confers because i really am curious as to whether there are any benefits. there must be some if so many people are so keen on defining differences.

___lance

Synthetic Consciousness
16th September 2002, 08:55 PM
Well concerning what I posted earlier, I agree with you, Lance, and also with what Tim said on his forum, that it's better to judge a song by content than by bpm. Not to mention easier. :wink:

AmishRobot
17th September 2002, 02:11 AM
I think classification by genre has it's merits, as long as there's an understanding that it's based on generalities. I mean, if you asked someone what kind of music they listen to and all they say is "good music", that would get really annoying really fast. Classification helps us avoid some of the subjectivity when dealing with art. As long as you don't let it promote a closed mind, it's beneficial.

But then, what do I know? All I listen to is Norwegian Black Metal. ;)

BTW SC, thanks for the link. Some interesting history in there, and a reminder that I really need to go buy some Daft Punk! Good site.

Lance
17th September 2002, 03:20 AM
''Classification helps us avoid some of the subjectivity when dealing with art.''

imo, art is totally subjective. why avoid subjectivity when that is the whole substance and point of art? art is the perception by one mind of the expressed thoughts/feelings/sensations of another mind.

anyone who answered the question of 'what kind of music do you listen to?' with 'good music' doesn't understand the question or is deliberately ignoring it. good or bad is likewise subjective opinion. in any case, a better question would be 'what music do you listen to?' and an even better one is 'whose music do you listen to?' it gets to the point of the original question a lot faster than the original question does, doesn't it? :D

sorry i'm being so argumentative. [i'm trying to be ''lively serious'' ;) ][yes, i just quoted myself]

poll: do i think too damn much?

Synthetic Consciousness
17th September 2002, 09:06 AM
[Amish:Robot]

No problem. You're welcome. :)

[Lan:ce]

Yes, you do. Get yourself some Xios implants. :P

jmoid
17th September 2002, 08:32 PM
i think some classification does have purpose because it gives you a signpost as to what the music is going to be like. so nu-skool breaks means a bit faster than big beat and a bit techno-ey. labels just make it easier to get a handle on what soemthing's like.

most of the time when i'm trying to describe music to someone i wouldn't use a label like that, i'll make comparisons to other music, or i'll just end up saying "it's really good, come and listen to it," and i absolutely agree that music shouldn't be defined by it's label but i find it helpful to have some pointers.

jmoid
17th September 2002, 08:34 PM
actually scratch what i just said, nu-skool breakz r00lz and all you sukcaz can kiss my devisive genre sub-divisions ;)

Lance
18th September 2002, 05:57 PM
mmm.... yeah. but that only works when you're talking to someone who's a fan of a particular genre. if you're talking to someone who just likes music in general or who is a fan of another genre or sub-genre like electronica or house, they're not going to know the jargon. for instance, i have no idea what nu-skool beats are even after hearing your description of it relative to 'big beat' because i don't know what 'big beat' is in this context even though big beat obviously has some meaning in music in a general way. i just recently got interested in big band jazz and swing in a major way if i were to talk about late 20's post-dixieland proto-swing, people who weren't fans of big band music would have no idea what i'm talking about unless i explained it to them. if i have to do that, then using the labels was a waste of time. the extremely finely nuanced labels that have been common in electronica mean something only to the fans of electronica, so they're only useful within that group of people. maybe this is why i object to labels, because they're exclusionary. a way to create an in-group and an out-group. or not. :)

~

''actually scratch what i just said, nu-skool breakz r00lz and all you sukcaz can kiss my devisive genre sub-divisions ''

lol

jmoid
18th September 2002, 07:03 PM
yep i agree, they're only useful if you know what they mean in the first place so i take your point that a label can be exclusionary.

i guess it depends on how you use it really, i certainly wouldn't want to sound like i'm trying to be mr dance music expert :)

the kind of music i mean when i say nu-skool breaks is like the track icaras on the w3 soundtrack, so ther's quite a machine like electronic feel to it, and the tempo is quite fast but the rythm isn't too rigid.

i'd be one of the people who doesn't know what post-dixieland proto swing means but it sounds cool! :)

Lance
19th September 2002, 03:52 AM
''the tempo is quite fast but the rythm isn't too rigid''

i hear that Squirrel Nut Zippers are like that sometimes, but without the machine sound. ;)

AmishRobot
19th September 2002, 04:18 AM
Now that was just unnecessary...
:lol:

zaarock
19th September 2002, 02:22 PM
i like stakker humanoid 2001 and sick.When i got the game i thinked there would be good music like wipeout3's music :(

jmoid
21st September 2002, 02:15 PM
i hear that Squirrel Nut Zippers are like that sometimes, but without the machine sound. ;)
hehehe :)

Piranha Advancements
26th September 2002, 06:22 AM
Make mine Sick,Wav Seeker and Bassheads.I can't get into the rest though.

Vasudeva
26th September 2002, 01:49 PM
Sub-genres are sometimes very obscure and the line that divides them, certainly in electronica (and also in modern rock), is often very vague. Often it's hard to differentiate between house and techno in the early '90s, or between some forms of jungle and drum&bass.

Also, the site mentioned gave a good overview but I think it was too technical when it came down to making a "family tree" of genres. I wouldn't link trance to techno, for example. Techno is much more experimental and certainly not always uses 1234-type beats (early techno perhaps did - that's why most of it is rather annoying now 8)) whereas trance has a wholly different soundscape. I would rather say that trance is a mixture of house and ambient (as such, slow melodies and fast beats). Then of course there's hard-trance, and I could rant on for hours about how bad most trance is these days... :x

I find myself listening to old house lately, and early club music. Man. I was born too late.

V.

Lance
26th September 2002, 07:00 PM
Jeroen said:
''I find myself listening to old house lately, and early club music. Man. I was born too late''

i was there for late 70s disco; it was a hell of a lot of fun. completely different sound and style and feel from anything ever before. dunno if you'd have liked it, but i sure did.

i kinda wish i'd been around during the swing era, except for all that World War II thing putting a damper on the fun after the first few years ;)

DJ Techno
30th September 2002, 09:29 PM
Swing Kids and Harlem Nights both were funny movies and really showed out Swing dancing.

But my favorite track on Fusion?
Elite Force
Krushyn

every time I had a lock on target and the words krush him were said out came the missles, rockets, grenades, and orbital lazer because nothing was going to stop me from winning. I would do exactly what the song says Krush them.

And I want to throw in Luke Slatars song too
I can't remember it, but his new album I bought was worth it

bunkergate.7
18th February 2003, 06:37 AM
my fav tracks are bolt up and stakker humanoid, because they're both perfectly for zone.

Thruster2097
23rd February 2003, 02:02 AM
thrusty`s topical top three (sorry, just had to alliterate that one!!! :lol: )

*hong kong trash - down the river* was supposed to be in wip3out....but never made it. So, due to the fact that it is the tune in most of the promotional videos and probably destined for fusion before fusion was made, I guess that this is the theme tune.
Great track to launch yourself off the huge jump on florian 3.

*bt - smartbomb (plump dj`s remix)* even though it has been associated with ssx tricky, it still maintains a certain something out there on the track. A good track for calm, strategical racing, or zone mode.

*utah saints - sick (instrumental)* fast paced, aggressive and arguably melodic. A hallmark wipeout track, perfect for unleashing hell with the super weapons like feisars` super missiles or auricoms` orbital laser, also good for general "scrapping".
I think this is from the album "two". If I could get a copy, I`d buy it just for this!

Vasudeva
23rd February 2003, 10:48 AM
Well as I said before I still think "Krushyn" is the best.

By the way, does anyone here listen to EBM? Lately a friend of mine has been pushing his EBM cd's down my throat, and I really like it. A totally new experience for me despite the fact that the genre has been around for more than a decade.

Peace,
V.

bunkergate.7
24th February 2003, 08:51 AM
I just associate Apoptygma Berzerk with ebm... but do you even listen to some industrial sounds? (like :wumpscut:?)
I hope the next wipeout will have a darker sound than fusion!

Bei Adrenalinmangel wird ihnen wipeout empfohlen.

lunar
24th February 2003, 04:09 PM
Am I the only person who thinks Fusion has the best music of any Wipeout game? Perhaps if people liked the game more they`d think more fondly of the music, and there`s also the fact that unless you`re playing zone mode you only ever hear the first half of a lot of the tracks - which is a big downer compared to how the music worked in Wip3out.

The only one I don`t like is Bolt Up, which elbows its way to the front of my consciousness and makes me crash into things. I think its a love or hate piece of music that one.

I do like "Bassheads", but not as much as when I first got the game and thought it was "Spaceheads" :oops:

Can`t choose the best track on Fusion - as Thruster suggested, different tunes work for different moments.

Vasudeva
2nd March 2003, 03:48 PM
@ Bunkergate

I don't really like Apoptygma Berzerk... for one reason or another their vocals remind me of power metal. And I don't immensely like power metal either ;).

I like BlutEngel, Hocico, Feindflug and VNV Nation, but I'm still discovering the genre since I just recently got to know it (a few months back). Oh, and Razed in Black was also good, although that one was more industrial than EBM.

Peace,
V.

bunkergate.7
2nd March 2003, 06:19 PM
yeah, feindflug=good music (even if I just know 3 tracks...), but you've got to listen to :wumpscut:!! Look at www.betondisco.de
I think wo1 has got the worst soundtrack. (except "wipeout")

Bei Adrenalinmangel wird ihnen wipeout empfohlen.

Lance
2nd March 2003, 10:32 PM
gasP... splutter splutter. i loVe the music from the first wipEout

ooh... the unfair enormity of your assertion! ;)

xEik
2nd March 2003, 11:07 PM
The truth is that WipEout soundtrack didn't have as much diversity as its sequels (that is PSX versions). Maybe CoLD SToRAGE isn't the kind of artist that appeals to bg7.

PRACTICE LEADS TO PERFECTION !

Lance
2nd March 2003, 11:11 PM
''isn't the kind of artist that appeals to bg7''
of course. note the joking tone of my reply :D

U V
7th March 2003, 06:58 PM
as the first Wipeout game introduced me to Orbital meny moons ago with there song; 'P.E.T.R.O.L.' [a classic now] they are now my fave band, so enything by them in eny wipeout game is good! 8)

i still love 'Big Groovie F*cker' though... and yes thats spelt right!