PDA

View Full Version : Leech Beam Glitch/Exploit

Hopewell
25th December 2007, 09:57 AM
I had a few games online last night, just before nodding off for Santa to come, the last of which being a tourney!

First race, first lap(ish) and someone gets eliminated using the leech beam. Fair play I think to myself, and carried on!

The same player next lap leech beamed me.. And eliminated me.. The thing that is annoying is that the leech beam diddnt stop.. I was around 80-90% still on the old armour, I got 3 weapon pickups (which I absorbed) and the beam just did not stop! After hitting a few corners, I was last by a long shot, still under the effect of the beam, I should have been well out of range, but it was still going!

In total, I probably lost around 150 energy points to one leech beam?!

I had been playing the same player beforehand, and I thought that it was a bit dodgy in single races as he was running circles around me in a Feisar (quite literally!) The player was getting boosts from nowhere that would put him well into the lead! Once I got past him, again.. boost! I did notice that when going past him, his ship was always pointing nose up, could be an indication of 3rd party software?

rdmx
25th December 2007, 10:30 AM
The person you are probably referring to is god_of_lord.
Though most opponent craft online for me have the 'nose up' thing, probably something to do with lag compensation.

Rapier Racer
25th December 2007, 10:36 AM
Fantastic now the cheating little shits moved on from turbo only to magical never ending leech beam, I suppose he had to do something with people from here kicking his ass more and more. Why can't he just be chucked off or something.

ZenDJiNN
25th December 2007, 11:53 AM
I did notice that when going past him, his ship was always pointing nose up, could be an indication of 3rd party software?

Aaahhh, i recognise that one. I raced someone the other day (Just one race) and it was really strange because his ship was both moving erratically and very fast, but also pointing (either down or up, i can't remember). I beat him, but it was tough going as he just kept catching up again & again. I don't think it was god_of_lord either, it was some other name that escapes me now.

Fascia
25th December 2007, 12:17 PM
God_of_Lord is a sad, sad player who uses some exploit that clearly allows him to choose what he picks up at pads, however, as always, cheating is no replacement for real skill, take him to Outpost 7, I beat him by a healthy 11 seconds there myself.

Hopewell
25th December 2007, 01:09 PM
Aaahhh, i recognise that one. I raced someone the other day (Just one race) and it was really strange because his ship was both moving erratically and very fast, but also pointing (either down or up, i can't remember)...

Glad to see its not just me then :)

It wasn't God_of_Lord, I think it was something along the lines of biscuetta!

Shame that some people do this, but alas, I still beat him once :D

Hyper Shadow
25th December 2007, 03:28 PM
I don't think the nose up thing is an indication of cheating as when I played Zargz, Rageagainstgeorge, TomatoJoe and Stin online, they all had there noses pointing skywards.

Frances_Penfold
25th December 2007, 03:33 PM
Well, I guess on the *positive* side, the cheaters create a challenge to WOZ's top pilots. Probably the cheaters will soon tire of Wipeout and move on to greener pastures-- what is a real worry, however, is that they will post their nefarious ways to an online forum, and release their tomfoolery to the masses :(

Ah well, we can always rely on our knowledge of each other via WOZ to set up tournaments with talented, non-cheating players :)

Sausehuhn
25th December 2007, 06:16 PM
God_of_Lord is a sad, sad player who uses some exploit that clearly allows him to choose what he picks up at pads

You're sure about that?

Asayyeah
25th December 2007, 07:04 PM
No exploit from WTF-of-Lord or biscuetta, imo, that is easier than that unfortunately.

Rapier Racer
25th December 2007, 07:05 PM
Your not defending the guy are you max?? Or are you just questioning his system of cheating

CR4SH3D
25th December 2007, 08:04 PM
how would you go about hacking the game online like that anyway :S
seems unlikely if its only just been released

Sausehuhn
25th December 2007, 08:48 PM
Yes that is what makes me wondering. I can't imagine there's a way to hack the game. And if it's not possible, then the guy just knows the game very well and we should not call him a cheater or something like that.
If it is possible, then I'm at least interested in how he's doing it (no, I don't want to cheat!)

zargz
25th December 2007, 08:57 PM
there was a talk about lower fw that makes the game laggy/slower?? I don't know ..
but I raced him today and his movements were really erratic and laggy
1. Amazing start (too good to be true :eek) and 2. he would freez then boost away again and again
:|?

Flashback Jack
25th December 2007, 09:07 PM
And if it's not possible, then the guy just knows the game very well and we should not call him a cheater or something like that.

The logic reveals itself. Compare his best times with those of some of the best players in the game and it'll all become clear. We speak of quite sizeable chasms of two seconds minimum here.

- F

Frances_Penfold
25th December 2007, 09:34 PM
I agree that accusations of cheating should be taken cautiously and seriously, and definitely shouldn't be based only on the presence of lag, which can have multiple origins. In this case, however, the person in question appears to employ infinite turbo boosts in multiplayer games AND is sitting on top of time trial rankings for multiple tracks. That's pretty suspicious.

I can't imagine there's a way to hack the game

I can-- lots of other handheld games on the Nintendo DS and PSP are hacked, so why not Wipeout Pulse? Unfortunately, the PSP is ending up as one of the most hacked console systems ever, thanks to custom firmware :( If anything, I would fear the situation would be more widespread than it is.

I am greatly amused that, even with (accused) hacking, the (purported) cheater is still beat-able by the WOZ top pilots :guitar

rageagainstgeorge
25th December 2007, 10:08 PM
I've never seen the Leech Beem glitch before. Its not a weapon i use often though so maybe that's why.

Off topic, i've raced god_of_lord and am certain that he cheating. There is a difference between the way his ship moves and the way laggy ships move. I don't buy it for one second that he is just really good as i've seen him try and take a few corners and fail badly everytime.

Also off topic, Fascia, are you technicolour on irc? I remember you racing and beating god_of_lord a number of times. You're really good.

WindyMan
26th December 2007, 12:38 AM
I raced biscuetta and noticed that he seemed to get an awful lot of shield pick ups. It seemed that every time I had a lock-on with a homing weapon, I'd lose the lock very quickly. Every time he passed me, he activated a shield. Now that I think about it, he shouldn't have even been able to pass me in a straight line, given that he was in a Feisar and I in an Assegai (erm, WMHS). I understand that there's going to be random bursts of speed from time to time because of lag catching up, but there's got to be something else going on here.

Speaking of that, in the middle of the tournament I was racing in against him, my PSP freeze crashed. So much for that!

mdhay
26th December 2007, 12:44 AM
Hey, if you want vengance he is online now! He killed me with 6 plasmabolts without picking em up!

Help me take im down! find mdhay_wz, thats me!

Frances_Penfold
26th December 2007, 01:55 AM
Speaking of that, in the middle of the tournament I was racing in against him, my PSP freeze crashed. So much for that!

I really hope that was just a coincidence. Other people hacking is a little annoying but not a big deal. Other people's hacking leading to my PSP crashing and having to reboot from scratch-- now THAT would piss me off.

WindyMan
26th December 2007, 06:09 AM
I really hope that was just a coincidence. Other people hacking is a little annoying but not a big deal. Other people's hacking leading to my PSP crashing and having to reboot from scratch-- now THAT would piss me off.

Probably just a coincidence. A game would freeze crash like mine did because it probably tried to write to a place in memory that was either system-critical or important for the game engine. I was a game tester for a few years, so I would know what would cause things like that. I doubt there's anything someone else can do to cause other systems to crash over the Internet, since all the game is doing on your end is tracking the positions and actions of other people in the race.

Still, I'd like to hear something assuring from the dev team that there is indeed something fishy going on!

Frances_Penfold
26th December 2007, 06:23 AM
^^ Glad to hear that! It will indeed be interesting to hear Foxxy's and Colin's diagnosis about what is or isn't going on with some of these crazy wipers ;)

Asayyeah
26th December 2007, 03:10 PM
No exploit from WTF-of-Lord or biscuetta, imo, that is easier than that unfortunately.

I ve talked about my theory to few wz friends through msn, i just want to test that tonight online that could explain what is happening with those guys.