PDA

View Full Version : Zone music

Sven
25th June 2002, 01:33 AM
I think it would have been really cool if they could have done something to speed up the music in zone mode as you speed up. That would have been awesome.
But ah well, it all done now...

AmishRobot
25th June 2002, 02:09 AM
I can't imagine what Tin There would be like in zone mode. It would probably give me a heart attack!

Thruster2097
4th July 2002, 10:26 PM
I dont know if anyone else here (from the UK, that is) listens to Radio 1 around about midday, Jo Whiley hosts a radio competition called "I want your text". The background music to that is a track called "WipEout", and was made exclusivley for the PSX version of WipEout. Anyway, the idea of the quiz is that you have one minute to answer a question. As the time ticks away, the music gets faster. At the end of the minute, the tempo is about 300bpm.....and it sounds soo coool!!!!!

I never listen to music when I play zone mode... too busy trying to concentrate!

lunar
4th July 2002, 10:55 PM
Zone`s more fun with music but alas music can take away your concentration for a split-second, and then you`re Mangled at Mandrashee or something. I get "blocked" in zone a lot, getting too tense and trying too hard which messes up my timing. A run with Stakker Humanoid makes me sit back. enjoy it, and get in the flow again. Zone is strong stuff, you can`t hide your gaming weaknesses from it. :-? :o

Thruster2097
4th July 2002, 11:25 PM
I reckon the ideal zone music is something like FSOL-papua new guinea, but more mellow, harmonical, (dare I say classical?) something with virtualy little-to-no beat. Just something to sit back and relax to.... just like that one small bit in stakker/humanoid.... playing zone with utah saints/sick would probably make me sick!

thats a really good task actually.....
find the ultimate track to play zone to!

lunar
4th July 2002, 11:43 PM
Papua New Guinea might be better than Humanoid, hadn`t though of that, its longer and that`s good. It needs to be something with a positive groove to make you feel good and tough, that flows along without big changes to take your attention. Ravel`s Bolero could be interesting if I could last until the end (fifteen minutes!!) If I play to zone to Funny Breaks it feels like I`m in a movie, but I don`t do very well.

Wamdue
5th July 2002, 11:41 AM
I like to listen to radiohead or maybe Fluke when Im not using the soundtrack in Zone mode..radiohead are so good..
using the xbox to run my own compiled wipeout soundtrack thru the stereo, while getting the race sounds from the TV is excellent ;)

Sven
5th July 2002, 07:09 PM
I think I would like Bolt Up for Zone.

bunkergate.7
20th February 2003, 01:55 PM
bolt up is my favourite, too

at thruster2097: "Wipeout" is really nice, but I can't concentrate while listen to it!!

Bei Adrenalinmangel wird ihnen wipeout empfohlen.

U V
7th March 2003, 09:59 PM
I dont know if anyone else here (from the UK, that is) listens to Radio 1 around about midday, Jo Whiley hosts a radio competition called "I want your text". The background music to that is a track called "WipEout", and was made exclusivley for the PSX version of WipEout. Anyway, the idea of the quiz is that you have one minute to answer a question. As the time ticks away, the music gets faster. At the end of the minute, the tempo is about 300bpm.....and it sounds soo coool!!!!!

I never listen to music when I play zone mode... too busy trying to concentrate!

the tracks name is 'P.E.T.R.O.L.' by Orbital, and can be found on there album 'In Sides'

rjsec4ever
1st May 2003, 08:43 PM
Bassheads!!! Bassheads!!!! Bassheads!!! Cut la Roc all the way, lol. :P

Hmm, a faster Xpander could've been nice. :D

Vasudeva
2nd May 2003, 09:36 AM
Bassheads??

Wow rjsec4ever, you're probably the only one here who likes that track!! :lol:

I agree on Xpander though. I think many people like it because it's not as cold as the rest of the wo3 or se soundtrack. Too much trance would have spoiled it though, on the other hand, but a trancey touch never hurts ;).

V.

rjsec4ever
2nd May 2003, 02:21 PM
:o What? I'm the only one that likes Bassheads?!? YESSSSSSS!!!!! lol.

But, when it comes to Xpander, I would like the 11'29" version, not the edit.

Here in my city, no one that I know likes trance, just myself; Everyone here likes rap. :x

Now back to subject, what I like on Fusion other than Bassheads is Big Groovy F**ker 8), but not as much as Bassheads! :D

FoxZero
2nd May 2003, 08:00 PM
there was a time, back when i played zone mode, that i experimented with different kinds of music in the background of it. the most radical of these experiments was when i turned all the sound effects in the game off and wore some isolating headphones while i played, listening to very slow ambient music (i think brian eno's ambient works 1). this was to relieve any sort of stress or anxiety that would cause me to hesitate in controlling the ship, and to allow me to focus entirely on the game with no outside sounds. i believe that after a long while of playing the game you get hypnotized a bit and start to fall asleep at the wheel and my intention was to be able to retain control in this hypnotized state. of the 4 or 5 games i played like this i did not do any better in score than i did just playing the game with sound effects and no music or headphones. i did however realize that my braking technique was what was keeping me from achieving better results, though, and i think the disconnection these tests gave helped me to see that. i also tried playing with normal music but when the song ends and begins again i seem to notice and it takes my attention away from the game (bad).

zargz
3rd May 2003, 10:14 AM
:o :o :o .. .. :roll: :roll: .. some wierd stuff .. :D .. :wink:

rjsec4ever
5th May 2003, 12:57 PM
The hint for Zone Mode is just control. Accellerate doesn't do anything here, hehe. Right from the starting line, it automatically begins at 1000 kpm, so by not holding X, you are still accellerating. All you have to do is control it, just not crash. I got to Zone level 25 like this. My brother can't even get to Level 7 :D (Well what do you expect? He's 11 and I'm 17).

I concentrate with SFX off, yes OFF, Bassheads plays in background, and I'm happy. :)

...and note that the 'I Before E' rule does NOT apply to 'weird'...

Vasudeva
6th May 2003, 03:52 PM
Age difference is really not so important when it comes down to gaming. My younger brother usually beats me in most games even though he is 2 years younger than I am, and I - in all non-arrogant honesty - am not a bad gamer at all. And I've heard stories about granddaddies beating their grandsons, and so on! ;)

V.

Lance
6th May 2003, 04:30 PM
''...and note that the 'I Before E' rule does NOT apply to 'weird'...''
and in like wise, due to my reading of fanfiction last night, i would note also that the silent 'e' dOES apply to the act of respiration, and the double 'o' rule does nOt apply to being defeated by someone else in a competition, nor to failure to keep track of one's possessions

Task
6th May 2003, 05:46 PM
You've been reading fanfic? You have my sympathies. How many people got "huged"? There must be some mad scientist who has some enlarging ray that he gives to fanfic characters... I also especially hate how there are so many people with (I would imagine) very loose clothing. These would be the "loosers" that are always mentioned. I have yet to figure out how anyone can "loose" something of value though. Still happens a lot.

... Was there some point in time where this thread concerned Fusion? 8 )

Lance
6th May 2003, 07:22 PM
oddly enough, there was no huging despite fair amounts of snogging. you'll be unpleased to know that some people forgot to breath and one held ''there breathe''. luckily there are several good writers of fanfic, almost all of the really good ones seem to be middle-aged females. one should generally be wary of authors calling themselves 'Lady Greymist', and absolUtely avoid anyone with 'Koibito' in their name ;)
the occasional 'Mecha Dude'' does okay within his limited sphere. with them, you'll get some combat action and often loving descriptions of the machinery, but other than that, probably no depth in the characters. now if i could just find an author who likes machinery, swords and sorcery, aNd human relationships, and who is of course articulate

Task
7th May 2003, 06:02 AM
Well, if you can give me a good description like that, then... (http://www.baen.com/library/0671878468/0671878468.htm)

AmishRobot
7th May 2003, 11:31 AM
you'll be unpleased to know that some people forgot to breath and one held ''there breathe''.

Even further OT, but I found this comment very humorous. A loong time ago, I was unfortunate enough to be so bored that I read the novelisation of the movie The Lost Boys. I actually read it a second time to count the number of times the line, "Michael remembered to breathe" was used. I thought it was the most ridiculous way to create suspense that I had ever read.

(for the record, it was used six times... in one book.... the worst book I've ever read.)

Lance
7th May 2003, 05:04 PM
concerning the current off-topicalnessishness in this thread: if it weren't for the off-topic being interlaced with the on-topic, i would have split off the fanfic portion into a new topic, but as it is, the transitional areas of the split sections would no longer make sense. there isn't a clean enough break between them, IMO. if there were a more complete set of editing tools for the moderators to use, i could have done it by duplication of a key post or two. hmm... i still may be able to do it. i just have to be more awake first, and take care of some real life necessities first also

task: i read a couple of chapters of the linked story last night. pretty good! i could use some slash in it, too, but perhaps i am expecting a writing too perfectly customised to my tastes?! :roll:

Task
7th May 2003, 05:37 PM
Ah, slash, of course.
That totally explains why you're reading fanfic.
I only link to quality writing, generally published stuff. I'm afraid I couldn't possibly link you to any slash. 8 )
I'm going to count that as a point in my favour rather than against, but I guess that goes back to the "customized to taste" thing.

I wouldn't worry about splitting the thread, it's pretty smoothly evolved out of any solid and unchanging context into a more dynamic beast. Happens so often here that you could be splitting threads all day long and still have more to do.

Incidentally, I hardly ever notice the music on zone mode. I know it's there, but I'd be hard pressed to tell you which song it is or anything. Too busy concentrating on the next turn and the current amount of airbrake I should be using.

Lance
7th May 2003, 10:31 PM
the only worry about not splitting being that if one were to do a search among topic titles for secondary or tertiary topics, like ''fanfic'' for example, it wouldn't show up; searches for these topics within a topic require something more time-consuming and complex

AmishRobot
7th May 2003, 11:41 PM
If I ever come to Wipeouzone and enter a search for "slash"...

....shoot me.

Lance
8th May 2003, 01:31 AM
lol

um.. it was just an example, and uh... uh... i uh... just said 'fanfic', which is uh... not the same thing? ;) er... not always?
hey, wait a second, i think my taste in [ahem] literachoor has just been dissed. i challenge you to a duel, sir! at dawn! the choice of weapons is, of course, yours, as the challengee, but may i suggest quake disruptors set on stun?

Lance
9th May 2003, 07:00 PM

Well, if you can give me a good description like that, then... (http://www.baen.com/library/0671878468/0671878468.htm)

Jay, i read the whole thing. enjoyed it very much. thank you.

i see that it has sequels. Mall Purchase Night. lol

luckily, i understood most of the computer programming references in the story. i used to invent my own sorting algorithms for a tiny little database program i wrote for a Commodore 64. that was in 1985 or '86. yes, it's been that long. most of the difficulty was compressing all of the program's code to leave as much RAM as possible available for the workspace. to maximise the usefulness of the data, i ended up using two pointer arrays for access.
heh, i even have Leo Brodie's book, Starting Forth, that was used in the story as a foundation for Wiz's new programming language for magic spells. hey, it could work! again.. it was good stuff. thanks

did you know that Charles Moore, who invented Forth, has his own website? it features a new form of Forth
http://colorforth.com/index.html

Task
10th May 2003, 05:13 PM
Sequels? Yeah, there are a couple sequels. (http://www.baen.com/library/0671698567/0671698567.htm)

A new form of Forth? I'm surprised it ain't called Fith. 8 )
I never saw "the point" of forth and I've stuck to my high-level OO programming languages. Which is to say that I'm not really a C coder, either. Even though everyone else seems to be. 8 )

Thruster2097
10th May 2003, 11:23 PM
... and I`m just plain happy that I don`t have a clue what you guys are talking about!
... is it sorta like binary? :wink: