PDA

View Full Version : Comparing loading times?

Dogg Thang
19th December 2007, 02:34 PM
I'm sorely tempted to shell out for one of the slim PSPs for Pulse, even though it's against all logic as I have two PSPs already. The only advantage I could see for Pulse other than having a lighter console is the RAM loading. The loading times on my old PSP for Pulse are pretty hefty.

Has anyone done a comparison or is running Pulse on a slim PSP to give me an idea? It's specifically Pulse I'm looking to find out about.

Chrono
19th December 2007, 02:38 PM
You can rip you UMD and play from the .cso or.iso. That's what I've done and loading times aren't noticable

Fascia
19th December 2007, 03:28 PM
If you're playing online I think it's best you stick with official firmware, that way you know that you've got the exact same gameplay as other players, If you use Custom Firmware you could be gaining an advantage or disadvantage for... whatever reason.

Custom Firmware talk isn't allowed here either ;)

jacen
19th December 2007, 03:47 PM
If you use Custom Firmware you could be gaining an advantage or disadvantage for... whatever reason.
yeah ... "whatever reason". :)

RingoSpoon
19th December 2007, 04:18 PM
I would recommend it mate - the TV out is brilliant (but letterboxed), better battery and it is a lot lighter and more comfortable. Pulse is a dream on it - Get one for chrimbo you wont regret it :)

Dogg Thang
20th December 2007, 04:06 PM
Well today I got a PSP slim. At first I had buyers remorse because, yeah, it feels lighter but it's pretty much the same. But it turns out the screen is different. The colours are slightly richer - my Goteki looks better on this one.

The main thing though is the loading time. And, yes, it makes a good bit of difference. It is especially noticable when restarting a race. On my old PSP, it took quite a bit of loading to get back to the starting grid. On the slim, barely any time at all.

So that's nice.

infoxicated
20th December 2007, 04:13 PM
My slim has rescued quite a few games for me - World Series of Poker 2007 & Test Drive Unlimited were both transformed by the improved loading times. :)

Dogg Thang
20th December 2007, 04:18 PM
Yeah it definitely helps. One thing that's really weird and I can't imagine why it would be anything to do with the slim but, on my old PSP, the woman gets ahead of herself in Eliminator and announces that there are only three kills left when I've only actually killed two people. On the slim, she can count! She's telling me there is five kills left when there is and then three kills when, sure enough, there are three kills left.

G'Kyl
20th December 2007, 06:11 PM
I thought the incorrect count war a rare glitch... So, maybe you just haven't played long enough to hear it on your new PSP. :) Though I really don't know... Usually, I just try to get through Eliminator and move on to the real racing stuff. ;)

Frances_Penfold
20th December 2007, 06:21 PM
Can't speak for Wipeout Pulse, but for Wipeout Pure, gameplay on the PSP slim was MUCH IMPROVED... in particular if you turned off the music.

With music off, the sleep mode worked perfectly, the load times were uber-fast, there was very little use of the UMD and battery life was improved-- perfectly for gaming on the go.

Wipeout Pulse seems to use more of the UMD drive but I haven't played with it much to be certain.