PDA

View Full Version : 3d or 2d hud?

alnuva
17th December 2007, 06:56 AM
Which type of hud do you preffer in pulse?

3d or 2d?

G'Kyl
17th December 2007, 09:21 AM
Nobody using 2D so far. ;)

rdmx
17th December 2007, 10:02 AM
Do you mean concave or flat?
Because I use the flat HUD :paperbag

Roz
17th December 2007, 10:25 AM
Flat HUD for me. As much as I think the concave one is cool, I just can't live with skewed numbers and aliased graphics.

MarcoM
17th December 2007, 10:26 AM
3D. Concave that is. I like it more that way. Together with the Close view.

Internal view is un-do-able for me on most tracks.

stin
17th December 2007, 11:06 AM
I`m using Close view.

stevie:)

Stew2000
17th December 2007, 02:37 PM
I can't decide. both look just as good :D

mdhay
17th December 2007, 03:01 PM
I will be using the flat one, it looks metroidy when 3d.

Flashback Jack
17th December 2007, 09:06 PM
3D/concave/sunken -- and far view. On most racing games I opt for first person view, but barrel rolling and watching the world spiral before my eyes gives me vertigo.

- F

Lion
17th December 2007, 09:12 PM
close view here, and a concave hud.
I imagine I'll switch huds when the novelty wears off, but close is definitely the view for me

Hail Seizure
17th December 2007, 09:49 PM
Flat in single races, off in everything else. I find the HUD incredibly distracting, especially in zone mode (which is what I play the most), so I just turn it off unless I'm in an event with weapons (and I only do those when the grids force me to do them in order to progress).
As for viewpoint, I use the first person view in zone mode and the far view in everything else because I'm a freak. :p

borell
18th December 2007, 09:26 AM
I use flat HUD and close view. All music off. :beer

Rapier Racer
18th December 2007, 11:45 AM
All music off, blerg :- Nothing like some fast paced Oblivion tracks to send me into a speed/killing frenzy :robot

Hyper Shadow
18th December 2007, 02:26 PM
I play with the 3-D curved HUD on. I actually quite like the music, some quite catchy choons on there.

phl0w
18th December 2007, 02:56 PM
Voted for 2D. I thought the concave version was quite nice at first but after I misread letters and figures a couple of times, I switched and it actually looks more natural.
On another note: I don't like the music this time around either. Very disappointing tracks, more a chill-out than thriving pulse, if you ask me, many of which are too short anyway. Nothing puts me more off than a changing of tracks in the middle of Time Trial.

jacen
18th December 2007, 04:02 PM
hud: 3d
cam distance: far

played since far cam settings sind wipeout 2097 ^^

G'Kyl
18th December 2007, 06:49 PM
About everybody playing close or far view? What about the increased sense in cockpit view? :) Smudo, a German Hip Hop musician once called everything else but cockpit view the "Nintendo camera". Cheers to that! ;-) Also, I prefer the new HUD. It really translates the action on the track into the display indicators. Love it.

Roz
18th December 2007, 07:13 PM
I use the cockpit camera for real cars, like Gran Turismo. I usually hate behind cameras, but in WipEout I'm just acustomed like this. Odd.

jacen
19th December 2007, 08:29 AM
What about the increased sense in cockpit view? :)
for that to work i would have to feel g-forces. whenever i get tilted without feeling any forces, i get sick after a while because i am trained that way. (used to soar when i was younger).
so i prefer to actually see when i am about to hit the wall :)

Hail Seizure
19th December 2007, 09:00 PM
Have you tried tilting the PSP in the opposite direction when you turn? :D

Amaru
19th December 2007, 09:48 PM
I use the Concave HUD for its more realistic cockpit feel but usually stick to the Close View. :P My goal is to use the Cockpit view as I find it more immersive. :3 However, I really regret it doesn't show parts of your ship and/or the inner cockpit hardware in the Cockpit view. =^.^;= That is usually the main reason as to why I would only play the inner view in a racing game. :P

MarcoM
19th December 2007, 09:56 PM
I am trying the cockpit view with Concave Hud. Actually it really immersive. I like it that way.

Let's see how long it takes for me switching back to close view again.

BARTgai
19th December 2007, 11:13 PM
even though i dont have the game yet, seeing from pics and whatnot, i prefer the 2D hud. Les complex and easier to read than the curvy one. dont get me wrong, i think the 3D hud looks very nice, but i just dont think i could use it :p

Amaru
20th December 2007, 01:01 AM
This is somehow how I'd want the inner cockpit view to look like: http://pspforum.cedacia.com/egx_fullcockpit.jpg
So I really wouldn't say I'm after useability but rather "realism". XD

The problem with most inner views such as the one in WipEout Pulse is that they are more front views just above the ground, which doesn't really reproduce a cockpit feeling but does give more of a speed feeling. :3

jacen
20th December 2007, 01:24 AM
do you guys really read the hud that often?
i use the 3d hud because i have additional reference to when i hit a wall. but i must admit, that sometimes the blurring effects blur out entire quarters of the hud or more for at least a second. thats kinda annoying.

BARTgai
20th December 2007, 03:21 AM
lol, i think i know how you got the cockpit view :p

1: took a photo ingame (duh)
2: imported to photoshop
3: took a screen looking forward inside the cockpit in the ship skin editor
4: put them together and added a blur effect to cockpit

Am i right? :)

Very cool though :+, that would be awesome if thats what the internal view was like :)

Amaru
20th December 2007, 08:45 AM
Exactly, BARTgai. ;P

The inner cokcpit hardware in my "prototype" is basically just a 2D pasted on a layer right behind the HUD. Ideally though I'd prefer it to be 3D so you could see the lighting/reflections of the race on the hull (and see every weapon you fire at your opponents right in the middle of your screen, which could be "realistically" disturbing when loading a Plasma XD). :3 Playing with this picture however also made me realize that even if I prefer the concave HUD for its more immersive feel it still doesn't really fit right with the way my EG.X's cockpit glass is designed. :P

HuwLangridge
20th December 2007, 02:46 PM
I'm new to Wipeout since getting a PSP and Pure in late 2005. I played Pure completely (well, to about 220 golds) in cockpit/internal view as I thought it was such an immersive experience to really FEEL all those banking turns as you take them. Now I'm playing Pulse the same way, as I find it very difficult to control the ship in third-person view. It is possible to do well in cockpit/internal view as I just managed to rank 3rd place with it on the Pulse rankings for Metropia Black / Venom / Time Trial.

As for the HUD. I'm a 2D convert as the PSP can't anti-aliase the text properly and it's not as easy to read.

Huw

Stew2000
20th December 2007, 02:49 PM
I will always use interior view. seem to get alot better times with it. the only downside is that it's too low to the ground.

shunjalo
20th December 2007, 04:43 PM
Flat HUD, internal view for me, thank you. Been using internal view ever since 2097, and can't imagine playing any other way.

MarcoM
21st December 2007, 08:37 AM
Hmzzz... after a short period of internal view, I switched to close view again. Together with the concave hud it is really good.

Egg
21st December 2007, 09:00 AM
However, I really regret it doesn't show parts of your ship and/or the inner cockpit hardware in the Cockpit view.
Me too! It was something I wanted to do, right at the start of the project. I even did some demo videos, using Pure playbacks with a cockpit model superimposed. The idea was that 'you', the ship and the track would all move independently - think of the way your head moves when you're on a rollercoaster, as it tilts and dips.

And it looked great! You got a brilliant sense of motion and speed. But again, it would've been a strain on the schedule because it also involved an extra layer of programming. In addition, I was determined that the HUD should be built-into the cockpit console (not floating in front of it), which meant I couldn't really build anything until the HUD was finalised. In the end, other things took priority.

Shame, though. Next time, definitely.

Dogg Thang
21st December 2007, 09:12 AM
Sounds like you got really ambitious this time, Egg! I'd love to see some of those ideas implimented. Having unique inner cockpits would be stunning. It would really make you feel like you're there. Great idea.

bloseth
21st December 2007, 10:27 AM
Didn't WO3 have some this kind of view? I found it totally unplayable. Especially because so much of the screen was filled with (imo) useless graphics. Hard to see properly when cornering, etc.

Stew2000
21st December 2007, 10:29 AM
I hope Wipeout HD has a real cockpit view. just be silly if it doesn't. :P

Egg
21st December 2007, 10:32 AM
It (WO3) did ... and they cheated like mad, because the front of the ship beyond the cockpit wasn't visible. Obviously some of the ship designs would restrict your view to the extent where this cheat was a necessity - the Auricom or Assegai prongs, for example, would block your peripheral vision.

I didn't want to cheat, which was another reason the cockpit view never came to be. The ships themselves would have to be redesigned for consistency ...

Stew2000
21st December 2007, 10:35 AM
If parts of the ship obstructed your view, the devs should of thought about that when they made the ships :dizzy

Egg
21st December 2007, 10:37 AM
The ships are pretty, not practical, heh.

bloseth
21st December 2007, 10:40 AM
I think the whole cockpit-view is uninteresting until true VR-consoles hit the market :robot

Stew2000
21st December 2007, 10:42 AM
When HD comes out i'm sure some crazy person with alot of money will make a real cockpit to sit in :D

Lance
21st December 2007, 04:50 PM
You can use any ship configuration as long as you've got vidcams up front and a really big viewscreen in the cockpit. Who needs windows?

Perhaps if the whole windscreen is a transparent viewscreen.

Egg
22nd December 2007, 10:14 AM
You could also have the HUD floating in front of the console, and pretend it's being projected into your visor, like Metroid.

zargz
22nd December 2007, 11:50 AM
Which type of hud do you preffer in pulse?

3d or 2d?I prefere the 1st.
'whichever is default' option shud be 'default' or '1st'. that's what I voted anyway ;)

Asayyeah
22nd December 2007, 02:14 PM
i am using concave / internal view : i want the best real sense of speed possible.

About zone i raced without any hud