PDA

View Full Version : Online Website. Skin Editor discussion.

Fascia
11th December 2007, 06:48 PM
https://www.wipeout-game.com

Not much else to say, contains information on teams, online rankings (there are already a few up) as well as.... YUP THE SKIN EDITOR (you have to sign in to access it)

Roz
11th December 2007, 06:57 PM
Been checking that site for the past hours. There are scores already! Can't wait to start competing :D

tapioca
11th December 2007, 07:01 PM
I can login to eu.playstation.com, but my password isn't recognized on wipeout-game…
Any advice ?

(I finally got it. I was confused because there is no mention which PS login i have to enter (i have 1 for fr.playstation.com, and 1 for the PS store). I had a look at the page adress and deduced that it's part of the PS Store. But i think that could be more obvious…)

Sausehuhn
11th December 2007, 07:02 PM
The skin editor looks nice from what I've seen so far... but I miss simple things like adding lines, some pre-defined logos and other bitmaps. And I don't understand why you can't zoom in when you selected the 2D-bitmap mode instead of the 3D mode... strange...
And I would like to be able to download those bitmaps to your PC and re-import them into the editor again. That would make things way easier if you have an graphic program and you wanna go a bit more professional. That could be realizable, couldn't it?

Dogg Thang
11th December 2007, 07:08 PM
Interesting that you seem to be able to create skins for ships that aren't in it yet, like Mirage.

Fascia
11th December 2007, 07:12 PM
I seem to remember something about the first downloadable packs being available at launch, I guess we'll find out tommorow.

Dogg Thang
11th December 2007, 07:20 PM
Actually, I think I'm finding the editor a little too tricky to use. The lack of a zoom on the 2D makes things really difficult and, while the tools are great for what it is, being able to take the template and work on it in other programmes like Photoshop would have been ideal. I may practise a little more with this but, man, it's tough to use.

Roz
11th December 2007, 07:25 PM
Very true. I hope we can import and modify in high resolution.

RingoSpoon
11th December 2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the info I have been waiting to get a hold of this! :)

I agree - 20 seconds into it and I was looking for the 2D Zoom button - They must have done the default textures using some other tool.

After modifying it - I cant save it!! Can anyone get it saved out, modified then imported back in? :) cheers

Tomahawk
11th December 2007, 07:46 PM
I've just had one look at the editor and went like "Ok, this looks like something to do for a whole cold winters' weekend." No way I'd be able to do some decent looking skin in less than one day! I've always had an E or an F at drawing lessons when I was attending to school... :rolleyes:

Sausehuhn
11th December 2007, 08:36 PM
I just added a few details, like a WipEout Zone logo and some stripes etc.
But a whole skin? No, sorry.
But I like it anyway. This way you can fix the small things you may don't like about the original skin. :)
I can't download it though. Some unknown plugin is missing (and I'm not the only one with that problem).

Dogg Thang
11th December 2007, 08:37 PM
I edited and downloaded one without a problem. For some reason, since then it is hanging when I try to save it. I've lost two now!

Edit: Oh, when I said I downloaded one without a problem, seems I was wrong. It said it all went fine but now in-game, I can't find it. No idea why.

Jenze
11th December 2007, 08:45 PM
Wow, this site looks awesome!:rock:guitar Can't wait to play it. Is anyone editing skins already?

Egg
11th December 2007, 08:53 PM
Re: importing bitmaps

If I remember correctly, you can Copy any picture to the Windows Clipboard, then there's a button in the 2D editor to paste it in. It'll resize the original and reduce it to the right number of colours for you.

Try right-clicking on an image in your internet browser, hit Copy, then find the Paste button in the 2D editor.

Dogg Thang
11th December 2007, 09:03 PM
That would be great, Egg. A Paste button is listed but I can't find it on the page. Funnily, clicking the ? gives you a page that says 'Here goes the ship customisation page help. It may well develop I guess. Definitely looks interesting though - I'm already getting slightly better results playing with the brush options though my computer doesn't like saving them - I suspect that's my computer though more than the actual page.

Edit: Ah! Just found it, Egg. It's actually in the colour editor. I shall have a good play around with that tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

infoxicated
11th December 2007, 09:05 PM
Oooh. That's a fair point. The help was originally meant to open in a pop-up, but I loathe pop-ups and ended up putting the legend underneath the skinner because I figured it'd be a handy reference. I'll need to get that help button fixed so that it doesn't open a pop-up.

RingoSpoon
11th December 2007, 09:14 PM
Finally managed to get the skin downloaded onto my psp (needed to install JDK to get it to work) but unfortunately it is in a format you cannot edit :(

I wonder if it is a bug the Zoom button is greyed out in 2d mode.

supersocks
11th December 2007, 09:20 PM
Save seems to work fine when you create ship for the first time but when you re-edit it and save, it won't overwrite the old design.

Fix it. :naughty

http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/g45.jpg

I'm not gonna redo that the second time :bomb

Otherwise it's working fine. Seems it's missing the copy-paste -feature since there's instructions for said buttons but can't find them anywhere. :?

Sausehuhn
11th December 2007, 09:21 PM
Do it the difficult way:
make a screenshot of the 2D-image, import into photoshop, edit the whole bitmap (now that is the problematic part because you don't see the model with the bitmaps on it) and finally re-import the image. That's the way to do it.

That's sad, cause the editor has potential. But it's not enough to do something really nice out of it - at least in my eyes.

RingoSpoon
11th December 2007, 09:26 PM
Finally Re-import the image? How can you do that without cut and paste?

Supersocks - how do you 'create image for first time' ? I can only select a ship then go in and edit it then try and save it

Sausehuhn
11th December 2007, 09:30 PM
Just read post no. 15 in this thread ;)

supersocks
11th December 2007, 09:49 PM
That copy-past-button placement makes no sense :p

RingoSpoon
11th December 2007, 09:54 PM
Sorry I missed the bit on post 15, thanks for pointing that out :)

Has anyone actually got a skin appearing in-game?

infoxicated
No, it doesn't, supersocks - we can probably get this ratified.

Keep in mind that this the first attempt at this kind of thing for WipEout - in fact, the official WipEout site is the first site in the world to use PLAYSTATION Network login to tie everything together. So bear with us while we sort out the teething troubles - the site will be around for a long time to come and will only get better. :)

Hellfire_WZ
http://img503.imageshack.us/img503/3069/triakisjs2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

How's this one? I've always wanted a personalised jet-black craft :)

infoxicated
11th December 2007, 09:55 PM
That's quite cool, Charlie - very stealthy! :+

rageagainstgeorge
11th December 2007, 10:03 PM
Had a go on it. Very good editor. I made a very simple Brabham BT24 (google it) inspired Piranha with the English flag on it.

Are we going to have a Wipeout zone flag? To identify us when racing online.

Hellfire - cool Triakis. Love the colours.

swift killer
11th December 2007, 10:03 PM
I just realised I can't sign up because my PSPs registered under my older brother.... and he's forgotten the username and password. 0_o

rageagainstgeorge
11th December 2007, 10:08 PM
I just registered now and it didn't ask me for my PSP details - you should be okay.

Egg
11th December 2007, 10:37 PM
Nice one, Hellfire! See, it's do-able, given a bit of time ...

The Copy Internet Image / Paste thing works well if you want to do, say, a quick tigerskin patterned ship with no logos (as our producer Paul demonstrated).

Copying the layout into Photoshop, editing it, pasting & testing it, back and forth into Photoshop etc - I'd suggest that's a good way, if you want to add details in 2D. Remember too, you only have 16 colours to play with.

RingoSpoon
11th December 2007, 11:03 PM
Cheers for the info mate, finally got it working :)

Once the skin is downloaded to the PSP do you need to activate it in any way in order to see it in-game?

Rapier Racer
11th December 2007, 11:09 PM
Try pressing some directional buttons at the ship select screen to see if changes?

Egg
11th December 2007, 11:11 PM
That sounds right. It should appear as an alternative skin on the Ship Select.

CR4SH3D
11th December 2007, 11:23 PM
well heres my wipeoutzone skin :)
(i stuck to black too to avoid pallette issues and having to choose nice colors lol) came up with a simple WOZ flag type thing on one of the sides too

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/5230/leftnq5.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=leftnq5.jpg)http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2303/rightzo1.th.jpg (http://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=rightzo1.jpg)

oh and you have to crop the 2d view when you print screen so it should leave 3 areas, some skins have a blank color thats the same as one in the actual skin which makes it hard to tell where the edge is :(

what you all think?

edit:// very usefull note!

create a skin on the site but just leave everything default
save
go to your account
click on the image NOT any of the buttons
you get the cropped, png 2d skin file ;) should be very helpfull

RingoSpoon
12th December 2007, 12:19 AM
Nice tip - although I tested editting the 2d skin file and pasting back but it corrupted the colour pallette.

Best bet is to use the copy button within the editor, then paste into editting software :)

supersocks
12th December 2007, 12:28 AM
Corcerning my problem of not being able to save over existing skin, I noticed it loads previous skin from browsers cache. So before editing any old skins, one have to clear cache so it can reload a newer one from server.

I'm using Opera, don't know how this affects other browsers.

...but, finally, after three hours, it's ready! My F7200 era classic G45!

This is going to turn into a ship screenshot thread :p (http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/goteki45_f7200_skin.jpg)

rdmx
12th December 2007, 12:30 AM
Looks like I'm gonna stick with the normal skins. I'm pants at this sort of design guff. :|
Unless someone makes a WipeoutZone livery for us to copy and paste in? :p

Dr. Angryman
12th December 2007, 12:33 AM
I hope no one makes me out to be stupid but, where exactly is the skin creator? I can't find it anywhere on the American site. :?

CR4SH3D
12th December 2007, 01:04 AM
Nice tip - although I tested editting the 2d skin file and pasting back but it corrupted the colour pallette.

Best bet is to use the copy button within the editor, then paste into editting software :)

ah another tip then :P save as a 16bit bmp file, then open it and copy from there

Corcerning my problem of not being able to save over existing skin, I noticed it loads previous skin from browsers cache. So before editing any old skins, one have to clear cache so it can reload a newer one from server.

I'm using Opera, don't know how this affects other browsers.

...but, finally, after three hours, it's ready! My F7200 era classic G45!

This is going to turn into a ship screenshot thread :p (http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/goteki45_f7200_skin.jpg)

nice one dude! :)

yeah i noticed problems like i had 2 ships done, tried saving another and it didnt appear there till i editted an older one, which consequently didnt save the edits :P its a little funny atm

also if you have it open in another tab on FF the painter brush follows your cursor on other pages, i can see it as i type this, wtf lol

Frances_Penfold
12th December 2007, 01:41 AM
I wonder if skins will end up being a useful "defense"-- in that by coloring your ship in a particular way, you may be harder to target from a distance, if the skin naturally blends you into the background.

If I was playing online and one ship had a bright color (white or solid red) and another was darkly colored with a design that broke up the outline of the ship-- well, it might be natural to target the white colored ship, you know?

BARTgai
12th December 2007, 02:06 AM
arg, whenever i try to save, it goes to the thing that shows your ship spinning around, but it is really slow, then my internets crashes.

what the heck is going on?

aykay
12th December 2007, 05:43 AM
I take it back. figured it out.

editing in photoshop is great. recoloring is no sweat, and magic wand + custom shape tool is cheap and easy. just downloaded the png, fooled with it, uploaded it to photobucket, copied and pasted. nice.

putting copy and paste into the color palette box is stupid, however. haha.

Lion
12th December 2007, 09:10 AM
you can skip the upload to photobucket step. copy and paste straight from photoshop (if it's one layer only) works fine

I've begun the laborious process of finding out exactly where the edges of the various bits of the qirex can be found. Should be useful to people who (like me) prefer working on flat textures in photoshop or similar. I have this much done so far:
http://helix.net.nz/~lion/Pictures/WipEoutZone/qirextop.png
Only 2 parts of the skin, (6 surfaces effectively) mapped with any certainty so far. goddamn it's slow going :P
Texture so far available here (http://helix.net.nz/~lion/Pictures/WipEoutZone/qirexskin.png)

The texture seems to shift around a fair bit when rotating the ships, so I am not completely sure I'm getting it bang on. but it's a hell of a lot closer than going by only what is there.

also, for those interested: yes, those other parts at the bottom right of the texture correspond to bits you can't alter in the editor.
no, modifying them in photoshop and pasting back to the editor does not allow you to alter those portions of the texture.

Dogg Thang
12th December 2007, 11:32 AM
Here are my first two efforts, admittedly a bit rubbish. The first is a Feisar going for an usual scheme based on the children's show Fluffy Gardens. The second, which I'm happier with, steals Egg's work on Goteki, slightly modifying it and adding Dogg X to show it's me. More later if I can do them while nobody is looking at work!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Ships01.jpg

RingoSpoon
12th December 2007, 01:26 PM
Nice work bro :)

I like the first one especially - if you could make the writing bigger on the nose side and incorparated a dark grey/blue in there as well I think it would rock :)

Egg
12th December 2007, 01:39 PM
Did you let the Skin Editor reduce the colours on your Goteki?

I've found it does a fairly rough job if it. You might be better reducing them in Photoshop first (using Mode / Index Colour / 16 colours ), then pasting it into the Editor. You get more options (like Dithering) and it might give better results.

Oh and first, draw a big single-coloured square over the engine details (the bottom right bit), using one of your chosen 16 colours. That way it won't waste any of your precious 16 during the reduction.

I ought to write up some of these tips sometime.

eLhabib
12th December 2007, 01:45 PM
Hi all, long time no see. Since Pulse is out and it feels like this game was made to be loved by all the little designers out there, I sure feel like coming back to playing more often - let's see if that works out.
For now, I start the fire on custom ship designs - I've seen some cool ones already in another thread, so I felt it's time to give this one a home.

Here's my first attempt: yeah, I totally stole the existing Assegai livery and changed the colors, but hey, Egg's design is so great already! Put the name and logo of my website there instead of the Assegai logo - so this is my official eLhabib-AG-craft.

http://www.elhabib.at/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/el-assegai.jpg

Eager to see everyone's efforts!

CR4SH3D
12th December 2007, 01:46 PM
Did you let the Skin Editor reduce the colours on your Goteki?

I've found it does a fairly rough job if it. You might be better reducing them in Photoshop first (using Mode / Index Colour / 16 colours ), then pasting it into the Editor. You get more options (like Dithering) and it might give better results.

Oh and first, draw a big single-coloured square over the engine details (the bottom right bit), using one of your chosen 16 colours. That way it won't waste any of your precious 16 during the reduction.

I ought to write up some of these tips sometime.

yeah a good tutorial site would be nice :) maybe with a gallery too?
i might have a bash at making one tbh if someones up for writing a few tutorials

Dogg Thang
12th December 2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks for those tips, Egg. Yeah the Skin Editor reduced the Goteki colours. I'll try doing it from Photoshop next time. Cheers!

Edit: And here's my new one using those tips from Egg, though I really think I need to spend some time getting used to the 16 colours thing - I only realised when I indexed it that I was using a bunch of colours that were almost the same, but not, meaning I was wasting slots. Anyway, here's the Mighnight EG.X, based of course on Egg's work:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Ships03b.jpg

Nadia Elenova
12th December 2007, 03:16 PM
YEEEHAAAA!
Greetings eLhabib! Your name on the side looks so fine that it looks like it was in the original game! I'm sure this thread is going to be a great one!

I'm proud to present the upcoming Laughing Man Craft, based on the logo from this character we all could see on the anime series Ghost in the Shell - Stand Alone Complex. I chose Harimau for its large plain surface where I could make the logo big enough. I'm planning to put the text in the white band as in the original logo but in this case around the entire craft.

See you on the race!

RingoSpoon
12th December 2007, 03:45 PM
Man that is well cool :clap respect

Nadia Elenova
12th December 2007, 03:47 PM
AT LAST! I FOUND THE PASTE BUTTON!

I've been a whole hour making my eyes bleed when doing the Laughing Man Logo on Harimau skin. Then I found this GOD BLESSED thread!

This was my creation by now, tomorrow I'll make it properly with photoshop!
http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc261/hostiaputa/lmc.gif
THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!

(awesome crafts, I'll have to buy a 4GB ms to download them all!)

Sausehuhn
12th December 2007, 04:24 PM
I'll try an old-school-EG.r skin for my beloved EG.X within the next days :)

CR4SH3D
12th December 2007, 04:56 PM
//dogg
that is sweet! :D very pro looking

//nadia
that looks cool too :) the laughing man kicks ass

anyone else done anymore?

Dogg Thang
12th December 2007, 06:24 PM
Thanks CR4SH3D (man, that's not easy to type!) but I can't really take credit for how they look - I just went over the templates that were already there in the skin editor. When I got home, I loaded them into Pulse and I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Here's a shot of the EG.X in action - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/MidnightEGX.jpg
And here is a modified version of the Goteki with my own 'Dogg' logo - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/DoggX.jpg

zargz
12th December 2007, 06:29 PM
nadia: hey that's awesome! welcome to the wipeoutzone btw!! 8)

supersocks
12th December 2007, 06:55 PM
Auricom model seems to be missing few triangles.

http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/auricom_model_missing_triangles.jpg

CR4SH3D
12th December 2007, 06:57 PM
//dogg
they look even better in game :P im going to try some more after ive finished this website im doing, its damn lucky someone found the c+p in that though, its impossible to do much other than recolor in the editor

Rapier Racer
12th December 2007, 07:34 PM
I went for a more subtle approach, I tired skinning the ship entirely with pasted images and while it looked cool I want to somewhat maintain the ships identity so here is what took me hours to make using the skin editor alone, square by square changes here people! lol

Always wanted a touch of red and black on my ship, touch of the dark side (ooohh no thats sounds too Star Warsy) replaced the white and gold. I need to make my number stand out more, DOUBLE ZERO :D

Edit: Number change to 07, cos it looks OK and represents the year the skin was made.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Assegai/newnumber.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Assegai/CustomAssegaifinal2.jpg

mclarensmps
12th December 2007, 08:15 PM
Here's my current WiP lol:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/9935/qirex1lb1.jpg

http://img125.imageshack.us/img125/7123/qirex2fu6.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/8070/qirex3io4.jpg

Since I'm at work, I'm confined to using the web based app lol.

Medusa
12th December 2007, 09:26 PM
Sigh. Great skins all! I'm afraid my computer graphics skills will limit my skin to a F7200-esque quality paint scheme...at least at this point! I've got lots of time to work on it before my pretty Pulse UMD crosses the pond, though.

One question: what happens when you click "Publish"? Does this just allow others to view your skin, or can they use it themselves once it's been published?

xEik
12th December 2007, 09:32 PM
I accidentally found a couple of shortcuts that might be useful for those who edit the 2D bitmap. :D

Keyboard arrows rotate the 3D model, letters a, s, d and w move the model and on my Spanish keyboard the keys to the left of the backspace key ' and ¡ (this is an inverted exclamation mark) zoom in and out.

I know nothing about skinning but I wolud have never thought that the lettering in Qirex's "High speed revolution" would need that kind of deformation to look good in 3D

CR4SH3D
12th December 2007, 09:32 PM
yeah im interested in the publish thing too, you can only set one ship to it :S so will it allow others to use your skins?

infoxicated
12th December 2007, 09:35 PM
One question: what happens when you click "Publish"? Does this just allow others to view your skin, or can they use it themselves once it's been published?
When you click publish it puts the skin in a moderation queue. Once it has been moderated (i.e. checked for obscenity, profanity, etc.) and it has been approved it will appear in the Ship Skin Gallery so that other players can download it. So by publishing it you're agreeing to share it with the community.

Of course, you could always keep it to yourself... ;)

Medusa
12th December 2007, 09:36 PM
Great! Thanks foxy! You can be sure I will keep my ugly little skin all to myself when I'm done it.8)

Roz
12th December 2007, 09:42 PM
Woah. How the hell do you guys do such detailed skins with just the online editor? Damn!

Rapier Racer
12th December 2007, 09:47 PM
Ah shite I clicked the publish button during an early stage of using the editor, the skin isn't much of a skin at all it was just one area of the ship I changed at that point, you guys might want to bin it tis a waste of space.

rageagainstgeorge
12th December 2007, 09:53 PM
You guys are amazing. Mine looks terrible in comparision. I'm not going to show anyone till it's half-way decent!

I'll post back in about 6 months....

Stew2000
12th December 2007, 09:57 PM
I just tried the skin editor, and once you get the hang of it, it can be very simple.
just a shame it's not an 'offline' editor. it would of made skin making a whole lot quicker to have an app on your pc so you can test them ingame without having to save them on the site first :/

so while i wait for my game to be delivered at least I can make skins and see what they look like on the ships ;)

Mobius
12th December 2007, 10:05 PM
Ooh, pressing F5 reveals some secrets on this site, therefore I can tell you that some of the extra circuits have these names:

Vostok Reef
Orcus
Edgewinter
Gemini Dam:sonar

zargz
12th December 2007, 10:08 PM
I just went over the templates that were already there in the skin editor. When I got home, I loaded them into Pulse and I'm really happy with how they turned out.

Here's a shot of the EG.X in action - hold your horses man!
can we have a step by step??!
exactly how did you transfere the skin from the editor to the actual game?
please? :?

Sausehuhn
12th December 2007, 10:13 PM
The easiest way:
Save the skin (in the editor).
Load WO:Pulse, goto "WIPEOUT-GAME.COM" in the menu, log in and hit the download button. The skin is directly saved to your memorystick and available in the game :)

zargz
12th December 2007, 11:56 PM
thanx! I got it. Awesome! :)

rdmx
13th December 2007, 12:30 AM
Am i the only one who can't find the copy/paste button?

RingoSpoon
13th December 2007, 12:32 AM
click the small picture of the pallette on the colour picker - then you will see it on the menu bar mate :)

rdmx
13th December 2007, 12:35 AM
Thanks mate! ;) Didn't see it before.

Chrono
13th December 2007, 12:53 AM
gah, it's a pain in the ass to get it working for mac. Bummer

Lion
13th December 2007, 01:28 AM
all my experimenting so far has been on OSX
does it give a security warning every time you paste into the editor on windows?

The Gracer
13th December 2007, 05:00 AM
Lion - i cant get this editor to work with Firefox on my Intel Mac - it seems a plugin is missing and i cant find where to download it. any hints? :( i want skin editor goodness

rdmx
13th December 2007, 05:04 AM
I assume you have shockwave installed?

Sausehuhn
13th December 2007, 05:05 AM
Run your browser in rosetta mode (rightclick on the application, chose information and activate "run program in rosetta").
Then it will work.
I don't understand why the shockwave player does not work natively on Intel Macs though...

Nadia Elenova
13th December 2007, 05:19 AM
Hey guys, how about sharing the modified "png" file itself in this thread?

The Gracer
13th December 2007, 05:38 AM
Cheers Max - it works now.

I suppose Adobe just havent updated it yet to work with Intel based Macs. a bit useless really, i expect more :p

aykay
13th December 2007, 06:47 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Automaticka/wo_20061213_020129.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/Automaticka/wo_20061213_020208.jpg

my custom EG-X in action. did a color swap. made minor edits in making the weird cat-face thing into a skull/crossbones, throwing "AK" on the nose and side, and adding some small details.

looking forward to making a Qirex livery...what with all that wide, flat real estate. haha.

Dogg Thang
13th December 2007, 07:52 AM
Love your colour scheme on that EG-X. Nice work.

Here's this morning's work (before I actually do what I'm supposed to be doing). It's yet another Goteki, because the Goteki is very easy to plot the joins. One of the difficulties I had with the EG-X I did was that one of my main design bits crossed a break in the texture so it took a good while trying to find the matching points (Qirex seems even more difficult). Anyway, here's my Sunset Goteki -

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Sunset-1.jpg

eLhabib
13th December 2007, 07:59 AM
Now that is SWEET! Wow. It's gonna be awesome to see all of these crafts on track in an online race!

Dogg Thang
13th December 2007, 09:47 AM
I'm having trouble with the 16-colour reduction in the editor. Even if I reduce them in photoshop with indexed colours, when I copy them in, the editor seems to be doubling up on some and completely missing others.

For example, I had a good bit of red in the indexed version of a ship I'm working on. Even indexing to 8 colours in Photoshop, I couldn't get the editor to keep the red. No idea why. If anyone figures it out, let me know!

Here it is sans-red - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Universe.jpg

ZenDJiNN
13th December 2007, 09:53 AM
"DOG" - I don't know how to answer your Photoshop related question (Because i haven't got anywhere mear that far myself) but just had to say... "Great design, love the colours". It's going to look great! :)

Egg
13th December 2007, 09:54 AM
In the colour palette of the Ship Editor, has it given you a load of duplicate blues? If so, you could go into the palette and change them to red manually. (A little awkward.)

Alternatively, try reducing to Web colours in Photoshop. It might be that your red is an illegal Web Colour?

vdoo
13th December 2007, 10:28 AM
My first try on a carbon fiber Piranha :

http://nlb.game-host.org/vdu/piranha_vdu_carbon1.png
http://nlb.game-host.org/vdu/piranha_vdu_carbon2.png

Hope to get it a bit better once I'm at home :)

Dogg Thang
13th December 2007, 10:37 AM
Thanks Egg, I'll play around with that although a quick test of converting to web colours and then to 16 colour index still seems to result in me losing some when bringing into the editor. And what's happening is that it is reducing the colours and dividing them up seemingly at random - so while the red bits may go a blue that is already used, that blue is now also corresponding to bits that were blue to begin with. Meaning if I change that blue, it changes in other places. I'm a little confused but I may well figure it out.

vdoo
13th December 2007, 10:46 AM
Wow Dogg Thang ... that Goteki is really nice

infoxicated
13th December 2007, 10:50 AM
Can you post your ship skins here:

http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?p=74416

and discuss the editor in this thread, please?

There's been some good advice given by Egg in this thread and it seems a shame to lose that in the noise of lots of image posting.

Thanks... :)

supersocks
13th December 2007, 02:37 PM
Alternatively, try reducing to Web colours in Photoshop. It might be that your red is an illegal Web Colour?

So theres some specific restricted palette from which to choose 16 simultaneous colours?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_colors didn't enlighten me much...

Neverdown
13th December 2007, 02:56 PM
I think it's annoying to exactly PhotoShop the letters onto the exact spot. Is it me or is the site a lower quality than the final product ingame?

rageagainstgeorge
13th December 2007, 04:54 PM
Does anyone know of any good freeware image editors? I haven't Photoshop and MS Paint is shite for stuff like this.

Any help much appreciated.

orgy
13th December 2007, 05:02 PM
you could give Gimp (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/) a try.
i like it so far, although the gui sometimes seems a bit strange for image editing newbies like me.

jtc42
13th December 2007, 05:45 PM
I still cant make any sense of the editor. How are you guys getting really nicely drawn logos and stuff on your ships? I can only vaguely get the hang on the basic paint tools on it. I REALLY wanna make some design so can someone post a small tutorial or something? :(

rageagainstgeorge
13th December 2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks mate. Loaded it up - looks sweet.

Is there a problem with the website? No matter what i click on it tries to load the editor and fails. I tried to delete a skin and it started loading the editor. Every link is down as /html/ship/paint (even delete, clone etc).

Dogg Thang
13th December 2007, 05:57 PM
There seems to be a few issues with it for me too. May just be going through an update.

rageagainstgeorge
13th December 2007, 06:06 PM
That's what i was thinking. Dogg Thang, how did you get so good at doing stuff like this? Some of your skins are amazing.

Do you do requests? ;)

zargz
13th December 2007, 06:13 PM
No matter what i click on it tries to load the editor and fails. I wanted to update my skin but same here. must be 'under construction' or something :?

already can use it in the game but online it won't show :(

Egg
13th December 2007, 06:17 PM
I've got a feeling the online guys might be fixing a few issues. Normal service will resume shortly...

Chrono
13th December 2007, 06:23 PM
Even in Rosetta emulation mode, the textures never load on the skin editor (on Firefox, Mac). I dunno, maybe it's the wireless here. I was gonna make a "happy panda" ship

Dogg Thang
13th December 2007, 06:37 PM
Dogg Thang, how did you get so good at doing stuff like this? Some of your skins are amazing.

Heh, thanks. I sometimes do colouring-in as part of my job (when I'm not busy doing 'join the dots'). Not open for requests just yet though!

Mad-Ice
13th December 2007, 07:50 PM
Works very easy but I couldn't save it and lost it. Darn.

zargz
13th December 2007, 08:51 PM
anybody used their skin online yet? :eek

ZenDJiNN
13th December 2007, 09:59 PM
anybody used their skin online yet? :eek

Yep, looks awful but it works fine. (I'm not a great artist) :)

Rush25
13th December 2007, 10:24 PM
hey guys, is it just my browser or is the server down right now? the past hour i've tried creating a new skin the flash window gets stuck at the 'loading textures' screen... this didn't happen when i created my first one!

i really hope this ain't my browser, i've got 1 skin running but a bunch of ideas i'd like to do... right now! :dizzy

thanks!

BARTgai
13th December 2007, 10:31 PM
hmm, i have the same 'Loading textures' issue. :? It is most likely being updated like a few have stated before

Perhaps they are fixing some of the ships with the missing polys?

Rush25
13th December 2007, 10:35 PM
true dat... i guess now is an important time to get things tweaked, and it probably will happen a little more frequently as these are some of the first few days of the launch...

but dammit this editor is WAY too addicting.:coffee

zerojay
13th December 2007, 11:41 PM
Appears that everything having to do with uploading/downloading from the site is broken. Attempting to download skins with my PSP just brings me to the editor instead. The skin I had stopped being selectable online. Can't upload or download ghost saves. The ranking system makes zero sense. What's going on here?

All the buttons on the skins now take me to the editor. I just lost a race by 12 milliseconds but in the results it showed that I won the race. Same thing just happened again on Deconstruct White racing the same person. I lost by 7 milliseconds but it showed me as first place.

The Gracer
13th December 2007, 11:59 PM
Egg has already said there are some issues that the techies are sorting out, so sit tight! We know its down, so before you get too flustered, just chill out and let them fix whatever is wrong.

BARTgai
14th December 2007, 12:05 AM
As I was looking at a few skins made by others, i noticed that on the 2D image of their skin, the bottom right corner which is blank in the editor, had the inside deatails and such. How do you go about making that show up?

Turbovec
14th December 2007, 02:56 AM
I hope they fix it soon. I got a wicked Triakis skin idea. :D

Vincent_VII
14th December 2007, 03:15 AM
Has anyone gotten copy/paste to work on a mac? I can copy from the editor but I cannot paste back into the editor from any photo editing software on my mac.

Rush25
14th December 2007, 04:06 AM
As I was looking at a few skins made by others, i noticed that on the 2D image of their skin, the bottom right corner which is blank in the editor, had the inside deatails and such. How do you go about making that show up?

bartgai the details automatically show up on the online editor as soon as you've pasted back into it :)

Hunter Gamma
14th December 2007, 06:11 AM
Got da Pulse yesterday and loving it so far. Damn it seems to be much faster than pure. Rapier feels like Pure's phantom on some tracks. Nice work SL :clap.

And to the question: Do we have any info when are the download packs going to start appear? There was talkin' that they should be available soon after release.

Not that i'm in hurry, I still have some tracks locked and learning good racing lines on some harder tracks. Tech de ra (or track, don't remember it excatly) is especially tricky with its bridge section. When racing with enemies guns blazing on yer back, that is!

I still must get to the the Outpost 7! It's in my home country afterall.

Eichhorn
14th December 2007, 10:49 AM
Hi to all of you!
Just registered on the forum.
Just wanted to let you know how pissed I am that the Editor still doesn´t work.
I really want to to designs right now, but I guess I´ll have to wait.
I hope they fix whatever is wrong sooner than later.
BTW:mr-t is really nice.

cybrpnk
14th December 2007, 10:56 AM
anyone seem to know why when i try to log in...it keeps saying my session has expired and keeps asking me to log back in??? it's frustrating...i wanna be part of WipEout but its not letting me...:(

Egg
14th December 2007, 12:48 PM
For those who are stuck for colour ideas (and are getting fed up with doing black ships, heh), I've just been sent this by a colleague ..

http://www.colourlovers.com/

Just a handy site full of colour combinations.

Vincent_VII
14th December 2007, 01:58 PM
Lion - i cant get this editor to work with Firefox on my Intel Mac - it seems a plugin is missing and i cant find where to download it. any hints? :( i want skin editor goodness

Sorry, I was a bit slow in finding this one. In order to get it working on your mac you need to go into your applications folder. Find Firefox and right click on it. Choose "get info" from the drop down. It will take you into the information window about Firefox. There should be a listing for "open using rosetta" with a checkable box next to it. Put a check in the box and close the information window. Re-open Firefox. You should now be able to view the editor.

Eichhorn
14th December 2007, 02:10 PM
Editor is still down for me. Any1 having more luck with it atm?

Rapier Racer
14th December 2007, 02:12 PM
Nah I tried to download my skin but its not having it lol

zargz
14th December 2007, 02:28 PM
me too. just hang tight bwoys! :mr-t

Dogg Thang
14th December 2007, 02:34 PM
I've been working on two new ones today - another EG.X and a Goteki as they're the only ones I've had the basics for. It's actually interesting doing it without being able to test it while I go along. The Goteki is easy enough but I suspect my EG.X is going to look awful when the texture goes in place.

Can't wait for the editor to get back up though. I love it. And need more slots.

Eichhorn
14th December 2007, 03:02 PM
The 5(?) slots are fine you can always just save the .pngs on your comp and upload them if you get tired of the old ones. I find it much more important that they get the editor up and running again.

Sausehuhn
14th December 2007, 03:13 PM
But there are no reasons - except for the space on the server maybe - for not allowing more than 5 skins.
Not for the website and not for in-game. I just don't see the point as I would love to make more skins in future than just 5. And re-importing that all over again to the website and then again to the game isn't what I call comfortable.

Dogg Thang
14th December 2007, 03:15 PM
I guess given the amount of players worldwide, server space is probably a legitimite concern.

Sausehuhn
14th December 2007, 03:18 PM
But not for the number of skins in-game.
Well... there's the chance to patch that with a dowloadable pack. But why do I have that feeling that will never happen? :(

Neverdown
14th December 2007, 03:19 PM
I've been working on two new ones today - another EG.X and a Goteki as they're the only ones I've had the basics for. It's actually interesting doing it without being able to test it while I go along. The Goteki is easy enough but I suspect my EG.X is going to look awful when the texture goes in place.

So, how do you know what part of the 2D-image is what part of the 3D-image?

Dogg Thang
14th December 2007, 03:23 PM
Because I did a Goteki and EG.X yesterday and still have the files. That's why I've only tried those two today. And because the EG.X texture splits in the middle of the craft, I suspect something horrific is going to happen when I put it together. Also there is one section I can't remember which bit it corresponds to.

The Goteki is a very easy one. The template is all straight across so, once you've got one done, you know where you're going. What I did was, when the editor was open, I used the print screen key to capture the 2D image first and that became my template.

CR4SH3D
14th December 2007, 03:24 PM
you cant really know, thats why the 3d view is there, i guess if you have a screenshot of the ship you might be able to work it out

Sausehuhn
14th December 2007, 03:27 PM
If you make a screenshot of the texture, it's NOT the texture used for the ship! It's not 1:1, there are a few pixels difference!
So copy the texture out of the editor with the editor's copy-button and paste it into your program of choice. That will give you the right bitmap with the exact number of pixels.

zargz
14th December 2007, 05:13 PM
just working on the 3d model, you get what you see. I don't have any editing program anyway! 8)

Sausehuhn
14th December 2007, 05:33 PM
It works again :)

Rapier Racer
14th December 2007, 05:48 PM
Yes! I've got my skin on ;)

Dogg Thang
14th December 2007, 06:07 PM
Now that it's back up I can confirm that the skin I did today for EG.X is indeed rubbish. And my Goteki needs work. And an AG-Sys I did yesterday doesn't look right because I missed two splits in the texture. Nads.

Still, I can get my Sunset Goteki onto my PSP now which is nice.

infoxicated
14th December 2007, 06:19 PM
^ who says you cant teach an old dog new tricks? ;)

Dogg Thang
14th December 2007, 07:05 PM
Heh, I'm feeling like a very old dog these days too...

Neverdown
14th December 2007, 07:22 PM
So, can somebody give some tips on how to use the editor best?

Egg
14th December 2007, 07:28 PM
I'll write up some basic stuff soon, but to be honest it's a while since I used it and I've forgotten where everything is! Dogg Thang is miles ahead of me anyway.

The best thing is to read through this thread for pointers, tinker with both the 3D and 2D editors, and see which technique suits you best.

Dogg Thang
14th December 2007, 07:28 PM
Whoops! Seems I've got a problem with the transfers to PSP. I filled my slots and have since created new ones so saved over them. Problem is, the PSP has kept the ship information from all the original transfers so my textures are on the wrong ships. I wonder, should I delete them manually from the memory stick?

Edit: Oh you flatter me, Egg. I'm totally cheating and just making sure I don't veer too far from the templates you made.

Another Edit: Crisis over. When I switched off my PSP and rebooted, it sorted out all the skins to the correct ships. On a side note, is anyone having trouble with the Home button from Pulse? It's hanging for me.

Lion
15th December 2007, 03:26 AM
So, how do you know what part of the 2D-image is what part of the 3D-image?

you cant really know, thats why the 3d view is there, i guess if you have a screenshot of the ship you might be able to work it out
that's why I was working on the qirex template texture. I haven't had time to make any more headway on it, but it should be useful once I have it done

uk_resistant
15th December 2007, 07:19 PM
would be great if you did wireframe templates of the textures, as well as the way you are doing them.

Its a shame SCEE didnt release them..

Dogg Thang
16th December 2007, 06:16 PM
Some people are doing some great skins so, in the spirit of sharing and hoping to improve my methods, I thought I'd let you know how I've been doing. Looking forward to Egg's tips and I really hope Supersocks does a little guide for his methods because I reckon I could learn something - it's so precise.

So I'm going to use my Christmas Assegai as an example because it was one of the easiest but all of mine have used the same basics so far.

First thing is to copy the texture map from the skin editor. The copy button is on the colour selection screen. Then I paste the map into Photoshop. These maps are fantastic and, for me, always have remained the template - I find the closer I stick to Egg's maps, the better the craft look. From there, I keep the skin editor window open so I can figure out what part of the map corresponds to what on the ship. So I end up with this - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg01.jpg

The weird thing about the Assegai is that some of the textures work in reverse - you can see the name 'Assegai' is backwards. As I needed to write 'Merry Christmas' and it turned out that the texture was split into two parts to go across the fins, I needed to be sure of the matching. On one side, the 'Assegai' text would give me the guide I needed. On the other, I didn't have that so I just copied and pasted the parts with the text over the sides without text. I just had to flip them. Here's what I mean - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg02.jpg

Bear in mind, that was only for matching purposes.

Now here's the important part and this step varies depending on what I am doing. I need to colour the map the way I want it. With the Assegai, I knew I wanted to keep the basic colour pattern (so keeping the strips on the fins for example), so the easiest thing for me to do was use Hue/Saturation to just change the ship from blue to red. But there was a third colour on the Assegai that I didn't want - the goldy colour (I have no idea what that is). So I just went in and used the paint bucket to paint all of those bits to red (using the exact red tones of the rest of the ship). I also painted over a few of the detail sections I didn't want. Just used the pencil tool for that.

So here's what I ended up with - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg03.jpg

It was all done with simple tools. For craft that had patterns I didn't want to keep, things were trickier. For example, on the Goteki, I wanted to keep Egg's shading but not all the colour patterns. So what I did was recolour the entire thing using the colour palette of just one colour - trying to retain the tones but not the colour patterns. Almost like I did for the browny bits in the Assegai.

So from here, I drew the details. On this, these were simple pixel drawings. Here's my holly - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg04.jpg

I also did little bells and at the end I added some sparkles - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg05.jpg

For the text, I always had those initial stages as reference and always went back to them. I just used a font so that was easy but splitting it was tricky, even with the guide. Turns out one side of the Assegai is in reverse, but not the other! But having the guide meant I could match it once I realised the reversal thing. http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg06.jpg

Lastly I finished off my sparkles and pasted red all over the bottom right. Like so - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/Asseg07.jpg

The only thing left was to get it into the editor. On this, I was working in RGB so I could use layers and have a bit of freedom (although in this one the layers were more a safetly precaution - it could have been done without them). So I coverted it to Index colour, 16 colours. Then copied it and pasted it into the editor. That was it! My Christmas Assegai.

For some more adventurous craft (some that worked, others didn't), I did that recolour step to retain the shape and shading but not the colour. For example, here's my white AG-Sys template - http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y26/DoggThang/AGTemplate.jpg It took quite a while to recolour this while not losing the shading but the first thing I realised was that Egg's templates are fantastic and my ships will look best sticking as close to his as possible.

So from here, if I accept I'm going to go over my colours and try to bring it back in the Indexing process though dithering or whatever I'll try to colour it on another layer, whether a multiply layer or whatever.

And I often do a lot of touch-up back in the skin editor because sometimes I end up wth holes or colour overspill. Also some of the editor brushes are excellent for details.

So that's how I'm doing things right now. I'd love to hear what other people are doing as my craft seem to be getting worse, not better. Definitely want to hear from Egg (of course!) and Supersocks.

rageagainstgeorge
16th December 2007, 08:14 PM
Great guide Dogg Thang. Very helpful.

I tried sticking to the original template as much as possible for the Pirahna but couldn't get it to work. I am using the attached as my current Piranha template.

supersocks
19th December 2007, 11:51 PM
I really hope Supersocks does a little guide for his methods because I reckon I could learn something

Um... what exactly are you after? I can't come up with anything you didn't already cover in your article. :rolleyes:

kowareta|vojeet
20th December 2007, 10:43 AM
For those who are stuck for colour ideas (and are getting fed up with doing black ships, heh), I've just been sent this by a colleague ..

http://www.colourlovers.com/

Just a handy site full of colour combinations.

Yes, this is a good site, thanks!

Dogg Thang
20th December 2007, 04:39 PM
I was thinking of making a WO3 style Assegai but can't seem to find good enough reference. So I'm wondering, outside of the Zone galleries, is there are WO reference place that would have pics or anything that might be useful from the old games?

rdmx
20th December 2007, 11:07 PM
http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/2645/assegaifl1.th.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/my.php?image=assegaifl1.jpg)
Hope this helps Dogg.

Dogg Thang
21st December 2007, 07:06 AM
Definitely! Much appreciated.

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2007, 01:41 PM
Jon, do you know how I can make more than just one layer in Photoshop when I'm working with a custom, 16-color palette? Cause I can't oO

CR4SH3D
22nd December 2007, 04:10 PM
might be because your opening a bitmap and trying?
if i load a gif i cant add layers

Egg
22nd December 2007, 06:08 PM
In Photoshop, go to Image Adjustments>Mode>RGB.

You can now add layers and do Layer>Flatten Image when you're done.

If in the process you've added more colours, you can reduce it back to 16 colours with Image Adjustments>Mode>Indexed Colour.

[Edit] - PS, did anyone solve the problem Dogg was having? That is, the editor would bollocks-up the pallette, even if your Photoshop image was exactly 16 colours?

Neverdown
22nd December 2007, 06:32 PM
Okay guys, I don't get this.
I made my FEISAR white and now I want to put "WOZ" on the airbreakes. So I located the airbrakes by painting them yellow in the editor and then importing that into photoshop. There I put the text in that space and removed the yellow squares. But when I try to put copy it back into the editor it shows up blueish, like this: http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/8608/wtfyj3.th.jpg (http://img227.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wtfyj3.jpg)

Turns out that when I go to photoshop when it's still normal, the blue pixels turn out to be the color "808080" mostly. Sometimes it's "707070" or "404040". How can I make the editor to show my text in normal black / grey, without the blue stuff in it?

Egg
22nd December 2007, 07:56 PM
That sounds like the problem I mentioned - it selects weird colours when it pastes, sometimes on a small scale (like that), sometimes ignoring massive colour blocks and replacing them with others from the palette.

Must be a way of preventing it - maybe save as a .png first, then Copy and Paste? PNG format might have some unique way of handling colours ... or something.

Sausehuhn
22nd December 2007, 08:04 PM
I had that problem, too. And why? Because I had three (or something) colors too much. Only when I compared pixels on 700% zoom or more I could see the difference cause they were almost the same colors. So maybe you have more than 16 colors and the editor replaces them with wtf-colors. If that's not the case, then... well... I don't know where the problem lies...

Dogg Thang
22nd December 2007, 08:35 PM
Well with Photoshop you can actually see the colours you're using by looking at the index. I definitely had less than 16. Even cutting it down to 10 or less didn't help. It's happened a couple of times since but never on anything important so I haven't tried to find other ways around it since. It only really made a diffrence on that one where it just wouldn't retain the red at all.

Mad-Ice
22nd December 2007, 08:48 PM
So strange, somebody called eleven_gg_xx stole my goteki skin and put it on his feisar even with my name on it!!!:naughty

infoxicated
22nd December 2007, 09:00 PM
heh! Bizarre!

I think I beat that guy online earlier tonight, so you owe me one. ;)

Neverdown
23rd December 2007, 09:51 AM
So strange, somebody called eleven_gg_xx stole my goteki skin and put it on his feisar even with my name on it!!!:naughty

This is a bug I guess. I often see Hellfire's Triakis with my Goteki skin on it.

Sausehuhn
23rd December 2007, 09:56 AM
Same here.

Mad-Ice
23rd December 2007, 11:53 AM
Yes I think it is a bug too. Yesterday I had a tourney with Flashback Jack, Hellfire, Rapier Racer, Stin, Supersox. Wich was great btw, superb flying and intense weapon fights, very close finishes. Yihaaa cowboys!!

But to come back to this bug: every single player who is having their own homemade skins are getting my skin on it in the multiplayer lobby. The ones that don't have their skin on, you just see their own chosen skin from the game itself. When we enter the race itself I am seeing the right skins again. So strange.

Rush25
24th December 2007, 07:03 AM
quick question, i haven't tried it yet but can you have more than 1 custom skin for a ship? like if i have 2 custom designs for feisar, do i just press left or right upon selection?

ooh and another question, how do you delete skins from the game? is there any way i can just delete one custom skin? thanks!:D

thanks and merry christmas everyone!!!:xtree

Dogg Thang
24th December 2007, 07:51 AM
Yep, I have three Goteki custom skins. It's no problem. I'm not sur if you can delete them but you can save over them. Unfortunately, you can see which ones you're saving over.

miufs
25th December 2007, 09:17 PM
Friends how can i use this skins in my ships? Is it possible? Thanks!:)

QirexAAX
25th December 2007, 10:53 PM
Well, since the skin gallery at wipeout-game.com seems to be totally terrible, you could try messaging the artists and asking them to send you their skins. You'd then just have to copy them and paste them into the skin editor application at www.wipeout-game.com and then download them from there to your psp.

BARTgai
26th December 2007, 04:11 AM
hey, working on my feisar skin, copied it to photoshop to do my thing, then put it back in and saved. everything looked fine except when i click the tumbnail of my craft, it shows the texture with the inside parts all messed up

http://img411.imageshack.us/img411/2735/tex12bj4.png

what is going on here? it looks fine ingame, but when i start to zoom out, the details turn yellow like they are in the pic

help?

Egg
26th December 2007, 09:43 AM
The big 256x256 you actually draw on - that's exclusive to the editor, because the website version of the ship is restricted to one texture per object.

The secret is this: when the new skin goes into the game, it gets split into four 128x128 pieces.

In the process, the bottom right piece is ignored (however messed-up it looks in the editor) and replaced with the engine texture.

Stew2000
27th December 2007, 03:42 PM
Here's something a few of you might find useful for AG Systems.
(It's a .gif btw) you can still right click it and say copy, then paste into the online editor. ;)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/151/agwire1cm3.th.gif (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=agwire1cm3.gif)

http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/5485/agwirecu0.gif (http://imageshack.us)

CR4SH3D
27th December 2007, 04:59 PM
thats awesome stew!
you able to do the rest at all? ;)
also can i add that to the http://grekir.freehostia.com/wipeoutskins site?

Stew2000
27th December 2007, 05:06 PM
I only made it to help me with highlights on the ship.
You can add it to the site if you want ;)

BARTgai
27th December 2007, 08:46 PM
In the process, the bottom right piece is ignored (however messed-up it looks in the editor) and replaced with the engine texture.

The problem is, is that in the editor, it looks fine until i save it, then the bottom right section gets all messed up :brickwall

propsp
24th January 2008, 06:19 PM
bartgai the details automatically show up on the online editor as soon as you've pasted back into it :)

Stupid question: How do you do this.
I have been having problems getting created skins to show up in the editor so I can save them to my game. I got it up in photoshop but cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to copy/paste it into the editor for some reason. What am I missing? Can anyone help?

swift412
24th January 2008, 06:21 PM
Click on the colours in the palette to open the colour picker, copy & paste buttons will appear slightly below the colour picker.

Stew2000
24th January 2008, 06:23 PM
Save as bmp.
open in Paint (windows own).
'Edit' -> 'Select All'.
'Copy'.
go to skin editor and paste.

Hope that helps ;)

propsp
24th January 2008, 06:40 PM
GREAT!!! It worked!! You're a lifesaver!!:lol

NOW! Where might I find those AWESOME Star Wars (Tie fighter and X Wing) templates????

EDIT: How come this last skin I tried applying came out black? Is there a way around this or am I just S.O.L.?

x3pwnage
31st January 2008, 12:10 AM
GREAT!!! It worked!! You're a lifesaver!!

NOW! Where might I find those AWESOME Star Wars (Tie fighter and X Wing) templates????

I know the tie fighter skin was on the wipeout-game.com front page a few hours ago

BARTgai
31st January 2008, 12:25 AM
they are both on wipeout-skins.co.nr

:)

q_dmc12
31st January 2008, 12:40 AM
Here's something a few of you might find useful for AG Systems.
(It's a .gif btw) you can still right click it and say copy, then paste into the online editor. ;)

http://img177.imageshack.us/img177/151/agwire1cm3.th.gif (http://img177.imageshack.us/my.php?image=agwire1cm3.gif)

Awh, you beat me to it.... sort-of...

...the bottom right piece is ignored (however messed-up it looks in the editor) and replaced with the engine texture.
Too bad we couldn't edit that as well..:(

Lion
31st January 2008, 04:33 AM
it may be "ignored" but if it's left on the skin it steals some of your 16 colours, I'd suggest blanking it out with a colour that is used elsewhere

BravePotato7
6th February 2008, 11:16 PM
Hi everyone! WipEout fan since 3 here. Every time I log in pick my team (Assegai) and click create I get a blank grey work space with non-functional icon at the bottom? Anyone know why? Help? I'm using a PC with Firefox v5.0 I haven't tried Explorer cause it scares me and I think I may have deleted it past functionality, lol. Thanks for any help and I look forward to playing with you all!

Also, I'm super new at anything past playing the actual game, but I can't seem to find instructions or a tutorial on how to make a skin, like say in Photoshop? Would someone mind pointing me in the right direction?

BARTgai
6th February 2008, 11:47 PM
well first off, welcome to the zone! :)

now, have you the most up to date shockwave/flash player? that could be your problem although i have never used the editor on firefox so i have no idea

also, you can look at the past posts in both this topic and the custom skins topic for some help with getting started. you can also PM anyone if you require more help :)

BravePotato7
6th February 2008, 11:52 PM
Hey thanks Bartgai, yep I've been reading quite a bit, both here and other sources, but people talk about issues they have but I'm missing the vital begging step. Like after you bring up Photoshop, what next? Do I need a template? I don't undertand how the flat 2D pieces become the awesome 3D ship? See what I mean? Lol.

I thought about that, not having the most updated flash plugins, but you know, I suddenly can't find where to actaully get it if its not coming from a pop up prompt, lol.

Anyway, thanks for having patience with me and being nice! :)

EDIT: ACK!!! It works!!! Sorry, I decided to check out shockwave, not thinking that was it, and of course it was! Here's the link for future reference for whoever: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/ And it works for Firefox even though its not listed :)

Asayyeah
7th February 2008, 10:11 PM
Wellcome to the zone BravePotato7 :)
Feel free to present yourself into the pilots loundge forum if you want to say more to people

BravePotato7
8th February 2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks man! :)

Task
8th February 2008, 01:41 AM
Indeed! But, uh, also read the guidelines and don't quote unless absolutely necessary. 8 )

Lance
8th February 2008, 06:48 PM
Anyone know why? Help? I'm using a PC with Firefox v5.0 I haven't tried Explorer cause it scares me and I think I may have deleted it past functionality, lol.

I think that FireFox 5.0 is such an advanced experimental release that it won't work reliably with anything yet. ;)

BTW, good choice on 'Explorer'; I usually delete everything in the IE directory that the OS will allow. Which is damned near everything, even if not quite.

Nadia Elenova
13th February 2008, 01:34 PM
I can't save a fifth skin, no matter what slot is, if I already have four of them full I'm always given an error when I try to save in the remaining slot. Any ideas?

Yagya
30th July 2008, 04:10 AM
Dogg Thang. thank you so much for taht white base AG-sys. hope you don't mind i use it when i eventually give skinning a serious try. i'll give you cred where i can because just now messing with the 2d stuff in photoshop i realized how hard it is to retain the awesome shading Egg has done. Thank you a million times! must've been a headache to get it like that.:+:+:+

Xavier
24th August 2008, 10:59 PM
Embarrassing question about the wipeout-game.com site:

How do you submit your times!?

I have an ID and was able to log in just fine, and can see the top ten times (with my unsubmitted name listed on the bottom as "-/2560"). How do I actually enter my own times? I tried connecting my PSP to the computer in USB mode in the hopes that the data would magically be read, but that didn't work either. ^^;

When I click on "My Account", the only thing I can see is space for five custom skins. Shouldn't there be a way to enter your own times? This is getting frustrating!

Darkdrium777
25th August 2008, 03:15 AM
In the game, when you select the "WipEout-Game.com" option, you access the site, and if you wish you are able to log in. Afterwards, you will be on the skins download page. Don't go anywhere, there is some text between the blue tabs and the gray window. One of these links is "Upload Profile". Make sure you allow all the plugins to run, and it will upload. Records will take some time before being updated though.

Xavier
25th August 2008, 09:48 AM
The only two items in that white-on-aqua strip are "Wipeout Pulse Skin Editor" and "Log-out".

This is hiw it looks whether I use Firefox or Safari, and I made the text smaller so that it's not overshadowing any other buttons or menus.

Have they stopped accepting profiles, or something?

leungbok
25th August 2008, 10:31 AM
Hi Xavier, all that Darkdrium told you is exact, but you have to go to wipeoutgame from your psp wifi. You can't transfer your profile from a pc (or mac);)

INFAXSU
25th August 2008, 04:31 PM
My skin editor won't run, I click on it and the page just refreshes.

Xavier
25th August 2008, 04:35 PM
Ah ha! Never considered visiting the site through the PSP!

Thanks Darkdrium, Leungbok, everybody -- soon my times will be uploaded, so whoever's in 2400th place, look out!

leungbok
25th August 2008, 04:40 PM
Infaxsu, you must insist, it don't works very well. Me too, i have to click several times on the button to really save my skins (kind of bug:brickwall on the site).
Very tenses races with you online, hope to see you soon on the start grid ;)

Primal-Convoy
28th August 2008, 03:36 AM
I made a thread about this but I was told tocome here. I havent found what Im looking for yet so here I go!

The skin creator will NOT load up. It says Session Expired. I also REALLY want someone to download the actual software and make it available to use offline and so we can upload ships via our pc/mac etc and not via the horrid official site.

It would be ok if their software and ship skins that were created were easy to navigate or upload but they are not!

Anyone out there with the techie skills to pull this off please?

Also, could there be an idiots guide to the skin creator. perhaps a tutorial with a step by step way for us to import a skin:

ie:

"...now we are going to import a texture. Go to this site: www.example.com and doanload any texture and then....blah blah blah"

If that were so, we could all learn how to do the basics

then in the second tutorial:

importing fonts/text etc

Sorry but some of us here have ideas bigger than their abilities!

Please help!

love this site though!

mdhay
28th August 2008, 09:02 AM
Downloading the ship skinner would actually be illegal.

INFAXSU
28th August 2008, 10:02 AM
My skin editor won't run, I click on it and the page just refreshes.

Still won't run via psp... even after clicking on it a record setting 25 times the other day... what A waste of my life. could it have something to do with my javascript?

mdhay
28th August 2008, 02:33 PM
It can't run on psp.

Primal-Convoy
31st August 2008, 12:48 PM
Downloading the ship skinner would actually be illegal.

Interesting posint. Im not sure if it would, though. Normally, if something "works" via the internet, then technically part or all of whatever it is is actually, for a short while, "downloaded" onto a pc, isnt it?

anyway, I was really after a home-made application that would do the same as the wipeout skin generator online. I think it would be great! anyone else?

ACE-FLO
13th August 2009, 12:01 PM
Online Skin Editor works fine. I've created lots of skins and downloaded them to my psp. And taken them online. Awesome...

If anyone has problems with using the skin editor, I don't mind helping... PM me.

Aeroracer
13th August 2009, 06:43 PM
skin editor wont work for me.I make my ship and when i save or preview it crashes..:(..maybe cos im on vista.maybe its xp compatiable

NightArh
13th August 2009, 06:53 PM
try to install proper fresh video drivers, latest shockwave and mozilla firefox 3.5 if you have pc. it works well for me even in1 buggy windows 7 rc1

Aeroracer
14th August 2009, 02:10 PM
thx for the help, ill try it out:nod

ACE-FLO
14th August 2009, 03:51 PM
Yes, I had better luck with Mozilla firefox. And Adobe Flash works fine on it too... :)

Siru Drawoh
2nd June 2010, 03:32 AM
Hi, I'm having major issues with the skin editor (and the website in general). When I try to log in to the website, I get a session expired notice every time. I used a proxy and logged in successfully, get the the editor, get all excited, and... nothing. I waited for two hours and all it did was stay at the loading screen. I tried different proxies (thinking some may not have supported flash or something) made sure my flash was updated to the latest version, tried for hours and hours, and then finally gave up. Has anyone else had this problem and does anyone know of a way to fix this? I don't really want to be using someone else's ship skin forever, especially since I plan to play online soon.

Additional details (which I originally forgot to add); ISP: HughesNet Satellite Internet (I absolutely hate it!:D). Browser: Firefox 3.(latest). OS: Windows Vista Home Premium.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me resolve this rather annoying problem!

jesse9705
14th September 2010, 01:59 AM
http://www.wipeout-game.com/html/ship/Tex3

thats my Skin design for mirage i made i call it Crystal mantis

Albino Ace
14th September 2010, 11:33 PM
That's your account, so we're unable to see it.

You would have to screencap it (Prnt Scrn key), save it as an image, and then upload to a service like Imageshack or Photobucket, or attach it as an image in the post.

Or you could take a photo of the craft ingame, use a USB cable (or wireless connection, never used that for images myself but I imagine its possible) to transfer it to a computer, and then attach it as an image.

FilmerFlo
25th October 2010, 03:18 PM
Hey,
I´m trying to edit a skin in Photoshop but I don´t know how to get it there.I cann see the skin on my clipboard but can´t copy it from there and only save as a .CLP clip which my Photoshop cannot read.Anybody an idea?

Darkdrium777
25th October 2010, 06:30 PM
To copy the skin from the editor on the website to Photoshop or another editing program:

Select a color in the color palette on the right.
Click on the painting palette icon on the right of the color palette.
Click on the Copy icon that now appears in the toolbar at the bottom of the editor (There is a list of all the icons below the editor window, look in there to identify the Copy icon.)
Paste in your image editing program.

To copy the skin from Photoshop back to the editor:

Copy the skin inside Photoshop (All of it) to your clipboard.
Follow steps 1 and 2 from the previous instruction set on the editor window of the website.
Click on the Paste icon that appears in the toolbar at the bottom of the editor.
Exit the color picker by pressing the X icon in the color picker window.
Press the save button to save your skin.

leungbok
26th October 2010, 06:48 AM
also if you don't want to lose too much quality while passing from photoshop to the editing program. Convert on photoshop your skin at 16 colors (the maximum available of the editing program) using the indexed color's mode.
Quality is much better than letting the editing program compress itself your photoshop file to a 16 color's one ;)

FilmerFlo
26th October 2010, 02:43 PM
problem solved, thanks:)

F.E.I.S.A.R
29th October 2010, 08:06 AM
Say...how do you actually work on the skin?(I'm not clear on how it works.Plus,every time I log into WipEout-Game,I get a session expired message)Some external application or within the editor itself?

F.E.I.S.A.R
31st October 2010, 01:24 PM
Seems that I could access the skin editor...via my phone's internet connection/tethering. I guess it acted somewhat like a proxy.

icarasDragon
5th June 2011, 10:03 AM
I just can't seem to sign in at all, all I get is

500>> Network Error

Timeout bug?

jesse9705
5th June 2011, 11:59 AM
Perhaps it is caused by This (https://store.playstation.com/login) Problem on Sony's side, As you see the service is down which means it is impossible too fully carry over all encrypted data too the Wipeout Game site, So therefore once it is up it should be able too load again, For those of you who can access the link i posted without getting a matienence message, The PSN is 100% restored in your region allowing the login system too retrieve your encrypted account data

Juissi
1st February 2012, 01:18 PM
2012.. and the Wipeout website is still down..
I want to customize mah Feisar ship! :brickwall
But does anyone know, if the website is on again after the release of Wipeout 2048? Wipeout Pulse ain't anything without the ship skin creator.. :(

Darkdrium777
1st February 2012, 10:59 PM
I doubt wipeout-game will come back.