23rd November 2007, 11:51 AM
Except for the missing snow on Sebenco... virtual orgasm :eek

Can't wait to see it in action.

And welcome to the zone... btw ;)

Asayyeah
23rd November 2007, 12:54 PM
wellcome to the zone yayamaya :)
Thx for the link.

the far higher resolution textures and big screen presentation really ups the immersion levels.
How right he is ! HD displayed on a massive sony lcd into SL conference room + internal view phantom = no words can explain the pleasure you get

supersocks
23rd November 2007, 01:26 PM
Welcome. You just made a bunch of friends with your entry. :)

Is it just me or does the track surface look at times a bit too much like fabric or leather?

Frances_Penfold
23rd November 2007, 02:36 PM
Wow, this has me excited! Looks like a total hoot.

I'm a bit worried about the North American release of Wipeout HD being much later from the PAL release-- I'm more than willing to import Wipeout Pulse from PAL territories to play on a region-free PSP but I'm unlikely to import a region-locked PS3 to play Wipeout.... (I'm assuming the PS3 is region locked....)

Sausehuhn
23rd November 2007, 02:49 PM
It will be a downloadable game. And if it's not in the American store... weeell... no I don't want you to make a 2nd account for the European Store because that's probably not approved ;)

Dr. Angryman
23rd November 2007, 03:27 PM
Graphics! :g

G'Kyl
23rd November 2007, 03:35 PM
I wonder why they'd preview the Games Convention demo three months after the world's already played or read about it. Waiting for real news here! ;)

Ben

Sausehuhn
23rd November 2007, 03:40 PM
At least the screens are new ;)

Task
23rd November 2007, 04:34 PM
Is it just me or does the track surface look at times a bit too much like fabric or leather?Every time I see that first picture (or any picture on that track), all I can think is "racing down the bowling lane".
It looks the same wooden strip flooring used in bowling alleys.

I'm hoping it'll generate a better impression on my HD TV. 8 )

Ready? Race!
http://www.fotosearch.com/comp/dgv/dgv064/bowling-ball-at-end-of-lane-in-bowling-alley-~-200114082-001.jpg

yayamaya
23rd November 2007, 05:22 PM
I wonder why they'd preview the Games Convention demo three months after the world's already played or read about it

Maybe because they're down unda? ;)
Was it really the same demo they previewed?
I'm kind of diappointed with the soundtrax so far. Dunno if kraftwerk is groovy with wipeout. I was hoping for more underworld and instumental prodigy again.

Chill
23rd November 2007, 05:42 PM
I'm not into Kraftwerk that much either, but their are some good ones within the bunch... and, like always, you can always upload your own music onto it... ;)

supersocks
23rd November 2007, 08:21 PM
Sorry if I offend someone. I had to. ;)

SL texture sources revealed!

http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/wipeout_hd_track_surface_comparison_small.jpg (http://www.omamoka.com/stuff/wipeout_hd_track_surface_comparison_large.jpg)
Click image for bigger version

Somebody else may insert here the bowling shoe since I'm bordering the 50kb limit.

Medusa
23rd November 2007, 10:21 PM
LOL! Task and Sox have found you out, Sony!

BARTgai
24th November 2007, 12:28 AM
God.....

...This has just convinced me to get a job and save up for a PS3 :o

rdmx
24th November 2007, 01:03 AM
The shiny bowling alley look of the track surface is an effect called 'specular'.
Most decent new games render specular on surfaces.

EDIT: Also, I think the snow on Sebenco Climb might have been dropped because when in Pure, the snow caused mega frame rate problems. For me at least. Also, you can see the work they put into the architecture much better.

G'Kyl
24th November 2007, 09:25 AM
Maybe because they're down unda? ;)
Was it really the same demo they previewed?

LOL and yep. :) Sony sent around the GC demo as preview code.

I'm kind of diappointed with the soundtrax so far. Dunno if kraftwerk is groovy with wipeout. I was hoping for more underworld and instumental prodigy again.

Hell, yes, the Kraftwerk track is among the best of the (Pulse, and therefore probably HD) soundtrack! It flows so seemingly simple and unimpressive at first, but as it gets going develops a lot of power and tension. One of my favorites - second only to Seven Stitches from Noisia. :) To me, the music has a more "cluby" feel to it than the previous ones - it's more technical (like the tracks) and less "trancy". Love it. :)

Ben

rdmx
24th November 2007, 12:43 PM
I think the word G'Kyl is looking for is: Breakbeat. (To describe the music)

And from what I've heard, the soundtrack sounds fantastic.
By the way, the Kraftwerk song is a remix of the real Aero Dynamik. The remix sounds so much better,

Asayyeah
24th November 2007, 01:09 PM
Ready? Race!

New version of Monkey Ball, Jay ?
:)

Egg
24th November 2007, 01:45 PM
Re: Sebenco

That looks like an old shot. I'm pretty sure there's drifting snow now.

Sausehuhn
24th November 2007, 05:29 PM
The snow is moving? O__O
Niiice.

*Imagines snow dinamically raising dust when crafts pass over*

Lion
24th November 2007, 07:57 PM
to me the track surface that you describe as being like a bowling alley (the first shot in that article) looks like it has grooves cut in the surface, I've seen something similar on the freeways around los angeles (when I was there 14 years ago)
I can't remember their purpose, but I think it was either for drainage or heat expansion

rdmx
24th November 2007, 11:14 PM
Imagines snow dynamically raising dust when crafts pass over

While my suggestion is probably impossible, what I'd like to see is that the entire track has snow atop of it at the start. However, when craft pass over the snow along the track, the snow melts from the heat generated by the craft. A motorstorm style track deformation - with snow.

DaWorFizm
24th November 2007, 11:33 PM
Melting snow! deformable terrains! Brilliant! :beer

I doubt this would be any good for HD as I hear that's more of a remake of old wipeout, but for the next WipEout PS3 version I would like to see a couple of 'shootable shortcuts', something along the lines of, if ur in the right place at the right time with the right weapon, you could fire on distant barricade/wall which would then open up revealing an optional route which could then be accessed by all ships.

Sausehuhn
25th November 2007, 12:28 AM
WipEout Fusion alike you mean?

rdmx
25th November 2007, 05:06 AM
I think the track staff over at Cubiss Float do not appreciate you blowing up sections of the track every time you race. Gets expensive to replace.

Plus, while deformable scenery would be mega awesome - I don't think city councils particularly enjoy you blowing up chunks out of downtown Citta Nuova.

After all, Wipeout is a spectator sport, not a post-apocalyptic wasteland, where it makes sense to blow chunks out of buildings.

G'Kyl
25th November 2007, 07:15 AM
I agree, thematically and in terms of how WipEout plays, "shootable shortcuts" don't make any sense. I like the few shortcuts the series had since WO3, but they should always be obvious and not distract from the perfecting-your-line-on-what's-there feel. Don't know how else to describe it.

As for weather effects: They are definitely possible in future incarnations and I like the snow idea insertcoin posted a lot. I'm almost certain we'll see something like that in the next PS3 WO.

DaWorFizm: Yes, HD is a HighDef collection of six Pure and two Pulse tracks - using the better part of the engine, career system and soundtrack from Pulse.

Ben

stin
25th November 2007, 07:49 AM
If you that worried about HD?, so don`t worry about that;)

Here is the link which keeps your mind at ease----->http://www.wipeoutzone.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4258

stevie:)

Au_Xtr3me
16th January 2008, 06:40 AM
@ Lion, the purpose for the grooves on roads (correct me if I'm wrong) is to allow a. water to go into grooves thus reduce slipping. b. something to do with preventing Ice from forming AND c. Those are actually cracks and potholes in the road.

As for the purpose in wipeout, where ships are not making contact, maybe it makes racers feel Groovy... eh? eh? ... never mind.

Fascia
16th January 2008, 03:29 PM
It's probably for draining, Wipeout tracks could easly flood without drainage.