PDA

View Full Version : Official demo coming soon (?!)

Frances_Penfold
20th November 2007, 11:01 PM
Announcements today about the PSP download service indicate that an official demo for Wipeout Pulse may be coming soon:

From the European press release:

Free playable demos

Want to play the hottest new PSP titles before you buy them? You need to check out the free playable demos in the Store. Try your hand at anti-terrorist espionage in Syphon Filter™: Logan’s Shadow, race adrenaline-fuelled anti-gravity tracks at 600 kmh in WipEout® Pulse and lead a batch of bouncing, rolling creatures through amazing environments in LocoRoco™. Remember – it’s all free, so download a playable demo today.

Dr. Angryman
20th November 2007, 11:49 PM
Where is this site that you can download these things from? If it's an official demo, not illegal, then I'm interested.

Frances_Penfold
21st November 2007, 02:39 AM
The new downloading option is just being put into place, and I don't think all of the details are known yet.

Gamespot has a nice summary:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183225.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;title;1

Basically, this is a PC-to-PSP downloading service that can be used by folks that don't have a PS3.

Sony is offering direct download of some older PSP games (including Wipeout Pure) as well as some new demos, which supposedly, for PAL regions, will include Wipeout Pulse. Not clear when exactly it will be available.

Here's the link to the Playstation Store-- you can browse some of the various offerings there.

http://store.playstation.com/store/index.vm

This Playstation blog has some additional info.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2007/11/20/playstation-store-for-pc-update/

Also, for folks that are mac users, like me, we may be out-of-luck here-- downloading requires a PC (though you can still browse the website to get an idea about what is there.)

Chill
21st November 2007, 06:02 AM
Again... their's no US selection... :mr-t

borell
21st November 2007, 08:00 AM
Great! Thanks $ony, how kind of you. :turd

Imagine this:
"To download the WipEout Pulse Demo, please first install Micro$oft Windows" :p

Also, for folks that are mac users, like me, we may be out-of-luck here

Sausehuhn
21st November 2007, 11:39 AM
"To download the WipEout Pulse Demo, please first install Micro$oft Windows"

Is that an official quote or are you just expecting something like that? Cause I can't find a demo anywhere and I doubt it's already out when the thread title says "coming soon" :sonar

borell
21st November 2007, 02:01 PM
Hi Max.

Sorry for the confusion, the quote was just an expression of frustration.

Frances_Penfold
21st November 2007, 04:26 PM
I gather for the time being, actual purchases (PS1 ports, PSP "legacy" UMDs) require a PC with windows. Less clear about the demos. Also, it's quite possible this stuff will be integrated into the PSP firmware per se, which means you don't have to have a computer at all!

Overall, the downloading service looks AWESOME! Let's hope Sony gets everything working smoothly soon :)

The Gracer
21st November 2007, 06:26 PM
Also, for folks that are mac users, like me, we may be out-of-luck here-- downloading requires a PC (though you can still browse the website to get an idea about what is there.)

What sort of Mac have you got? if you have a powerful enough rig, BootCamp XP - thats what ive done with me new iMac and i havent looked back. You may have to upgrade to Leopard, however, if you havent done so already.

Sausehuhn
21st November 2007, 06:35 PM
To install Windows on your Mac, all you need is an Intel based Mac. Tiger will do it. Leopard has Bootcamp integrated from the start, though.

Frances_Penfold
21st November 2007, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the pointers, guys! Unfortunately I'm on an older mac so probably won't be going dual-boot in the near-term future-- though longer term, I'm definitely thinking about it!

Of course, by that time, I may have a PS3, which might mean the PC store isn't necessary to use...

Sausehuhn
22nd November 2007, 03:31 PM
Now I should really get a new HDD to install Windows (I would have done that anyway at some point). Though, I think it's a shame that Macs aren't supported. Is it the same with Linux btw?

Medusa
22nd November 2007, 06:32 PM
The site specified Windows 2000, XP, NT or Vista - if I remember correctly. GRRR!! Sony what was that for? Not even old 98SE??? (:cry/whine...)

I will be dragged into this millenium eventually.

Rapier Racer
22nd November 2007, 07:01 PM
98SE is so out of date it can't come as a surprise that it's not supported, do they still make any hardware devices that support 98? No excuse for using it anyway lol you know how cheaply PC world sell off the last of the old operating systems when a new comes out, theres been a few since 98SE

Medusa
22nd November 2007, 10:10 PM
98SE is so out of date

Heehee, I know. I don't think anyone even bothers making viruses for it anymore!:lol But so far it's still working...so I keep it. (If it ain't borken, don't fix it. ;) )

q_dmc12
23rd November 2007, 02:54 AM
I still have a mahcine with 98 (first edition):dizzy

lunar
23rd November 2007, 07:22 AM
Whatever you do, don`t let anyone persuade you to upgrade to Vista. Then your computer will be utterly borken. It will try to guess what you want to do next, and always be wrong, half your programmes won`t work, the other half will be like the speed you`d get running Photoshop on a Spectrum.

*double clicks on programme*
"Are you sure you want to run this programme?"
"Yes I`d like to run this programme please."
"But are you really sure?"
"Yes I`m quite certain, that`s why I double clicked on it."
"Well I`m afraid I can`t let you do that."
"Please."
"I`m afraid you do not have the authorization."
"Can I copy this file, then, please."
"I`m sorry, you`re not authorized to do that."
"But you are my computer."
"I`m sorry, you do not have permission to do that. But look at my lovely semi-transparent windows, sure nothing works anymore and there is steam pouring out of your cpu, but dig the transparency and all the useless pretty crap I can do."

*downgrades back to XP, does exactly what it says on the tin and everything works*

anyway, back to Pulse demos I guess. Think I might buy the game anyway though. ;)

rdmx
23rd November 2007, 10:57 AM
Tried disabling UAC lunar?

Sausehuhn
23rd November 2007, 11:38 AM
I ask: where is the security when you just disable it cause it gets on your nerves?

Lance
23rd November 2007, 08:37 PM
I have two computers, one from 1998 with 64 MB of RAM and Win98 original, and one from 1999 with 96 MB of RAM and Win ME on it. I like them. I hate XP. I have not experienced the sheer unadulterated joy of Vista yet and I hope that I never shall. Win2000 is not too bad, but it's basically an NT copy of ME plus multi-user add-ons. I have it installed on a harddrive using FAT instead of NTFS. Works fine except it won't run my modem, which I don't have an installable driver for. I've compared internal operating speed of 98, 98SE, ME, and XP. 98 and 98SE are the fastest, followed closely by ME, and way way back is XP. I shudder to think how inefficient Vista must be.

Rapier Racer
23rd November 2007, 10:25 PM
My dad has a PC from the 98/99 era Pentium 3, 128mb of RAM running 98SE, it certainly is not faster than XP by any stretch of imagination. Do you have many programs installed on your PC and what sort of system did you test XP on Lance?

For the record I run XP and like it very much I will never install Vista onto my PC so perhaps one day I'll be in the position of possessing a very outdated OS.

Still no word on the demo. (I cheated there to keep us on topic see :g)

rdmx
24th November 2007, 01:12 AM
Vista ain't slow. Especially if you've got good hardware - then it's really fast. You can always disable the Aero interface if you wish. Me? I just use XP but the windows are skinned.

Of course a newer OS will be slower if you're running the same hardware that you used to run Windows 98.

Yes, I'm also really looking forward to the Wipeout Pulse demo.

Lion
24th November 2007, 08:09 PM
Win2000 is not too bad, but it's basically an NT copy of ME plus multi-user add-ons.win2000 predates Me, Me is 98 with the win2000 interface slapped on top :)

@Gracer I installed leopard on my Mac Mini recently, then went back to tiger less than a week later.
Until such time as Leopard a) stops feeling like a beta, and b) starts treating docked folders like in Tiger (I HATE stacks). I'm staying away from it.

The old addage is at least as true as ever.
Every OS sucks

Task
24th November 2007, 09:51 PM
Vista ain't slow. Especially if you've got good hardware - then it's really fast.... Of course a newer OS will be slower if you're running the same hardware that you used to run Windows 98.

Actually, what you're saying is that the machine is fast, and the OS can utilize that, but that the OS is slow. Which is really everyone's point.
Which is not a big surprise, newer software will almost always be less efficient than older software. It just doesn't show because the hardware is so much more advanced. This is actually one of the rules of software development. Newer development tools (typically newer languages, but also newer applications) tend towards less efficiency for the benefit of greater portability and reusability and reliability. Globalization in effect.

rdmx
24th November 2007, 11:08 PM
Newer development tools (typically newer languages, but also newer applications) tend towards less efficiency for the benefit of greater portability and reusability and reliability. Globalization in effect.

That's what I meant, but you explained it way better than i did.

Lion
25th November 2007, 09:57 AM
I read an article (http://exo-blog.blogspot.com/2007/09/what-intel-giveth-microsoft-taketh-away.html) on this recently.
Microsoft as "The Great Moores Law Compensator"

zargz
25th November 2007, 04:12 PM
never mind the demo - the game will be here the 5th dec! :D

q_dmc12
25th November 2007, 11:54 PM
...newer software will almost always be less efficient than older software.

Unless you are using special distros of linux ;)

MarcoM
26th November 2007, 07:26 AM
never mind the demo - the game will be here the 5th dec! :D

that or one week later. But a demo would be nice though :)

Lance
26th November 2007, 05:59 PM
RR, the XP systems I used had faster processors and more RAM than my old systems and yet my antique systems with 98 and ME were internally faster in their operation.

Lion, I beg to differ; it is not a matter of interface; ME and 2000 share a couple of additional features [such as restore, the ability to earlier images of the system before defective software was installed]. Except for the splash screen, the ME interface is identical to 98, but with the ability [also found in 2000] to use thumbnail view in all folders. ME is a direct development of 98 as far as I can tell. 2000 is not only based on the NTFS by default instead of FAT, the only thing available in ME and 98, but is also internally reorganised so that it's set up for multiple users. Additional organisational overhead for this purpose goes into the change to folder organisation being based on a Document and Settings folder with separate profiles for every user. This new organisation can not as far as I know be simplified back to the arrangement used by ME and 98, it is a fundamental change in interface and internals not shared by the older systems. XP is based on that new organisation, but adds a load of ''user-friendly'' assistance and processor gobbling animated special effects.

Sausehuhn
26th November 2007, 06:50 PM
I never thought I would say that to Lance, but, hey, back to topic ;)

...so: I don't think we will see a demo before the launch. The game ist just about two weeks from its release and I'm not quite sure if they will release a demo for that short period. On the other hand: I would like one :D That makes the wait a lot shorter (at least for me)!

Rapier Racer
26th November 2007, 10:43 PM
Sony sent me another mail about the new PS Store on PC, I think its got just about everything they picture except the one we really want, DAMN IT! They even list it in the message, aaaarrrgh!

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b114/Assegai/dirtyteasingbast.jpg