PDA

View Full Version : POLL tt lap best time or tt full race time--- explain

JABBERJAW
24th June 2002, 09:37 PM
both are time trials but one involves the same number of laps as arcade race while the other is just a one lap best. Wipeout fusion and wipeout 64 had one lap bests and wipeout, wipeout xl, and wipeout 3 had full time trial races

JABBERJAW
24th June 2002, 09:41 PM
I prefer full time trial race records(and lap records counted as secondary). the reason being that it takes much more skill to perform on a full 3 lap race perfectly as opposed to a one lap race. Anyone can get a good one lap time. Both records would be preferrable though(kinda like xl). I liked wipeout 64 but the one lap thing sucked. It would have been much better to be just like xl in regards to records at that time.

infoxicated
24th June 2002, 10:27 PM
Sadly, Al, I cant stand time trials either way - I find them pretty boring and the only real notice I've taken of them was to highlight the game design mistake in Wipeout Fusion.

As in - you open zone before time trial, when you'd be better off having time trial so you can practice the tracks!

I'd rather be racing than doing time trials, which is why you wont find many times by me on the tables for TT. I do think it's cool to have both lap and race records, though - both times show different things... it is much harder to do three or whatever consecutive top times, rather than have one banzai effort.

Lance
24th June 2002, 10:30 PM
i much prefer having both full racetime and individual laptime as WO3 does. i want savable records for everything

Wamdue
24th June 2002, 10:48 PM
i prefer timetrail races..most of my wip3out gameplay has been timetrials.. as ppl use sick respawns and weird jumps at the official boards, i dont bother playing wipeout fusion anymore.. I remember days I could sit 6 hours straight racing Manor Top over and over again, im pretty good at that track even now when I havent played wip3out for a while. The one thing that bugs me, is the ghost ship.. it screws my concentration up.

Lance
25th June 2002, 09:35 PM
yeah, the ghost does obscure the view on a dark track sometimes if you're just a little behind it. can we turn that thing off? i don't remember seeing that option anywhere.

Sven
25th June 2002, 11:23 PM
heheh, and in this game, it actually looks like a ghost too! =)

as for me, I prefer unlimited laps for time trials because when it makes me stop racing like that it interrupts my flow =P

Task
26th June 2002, 10:37 PM
Definitely full race time.
While it's important to know the best lap time (helps to compute a best theoretical race time), I can't see any real importance behind the concept of a best lap time. Everything to me is race time, because of the difference between laps.
Lap 1 is your acceleration lap, you start out slow and hit your max speed and maintain it.
Lap 2 is your full speed lap, you try to maintain the flow.
Lap 3 is your final lap, you make sure to burn all your hyperthrust.
Each lap is different, only a part of the whole. Focusing on Lap 2 and trying to get the best time for just that lap... It seems silly, doesn't it?
Hence, lap times are for suckas! :D

science
27th June 2002, 08:47 AM
i prefer both, but racetime is definately more important. going balls to the wall for one lap is important too, but as you said, it takes more skill to race consistently instead of perhaps a single lap fluke