PDA

View Full Version : Musical education! (2nd part)

xEik
24th June 2002, 11:58 AM
First of all, I hope AmishRobot doesn't mind me stealing his topic tittle.

This is quite a similar topic but it's focused in another way. Usually Wipeout fans like us tend to talk about music that can give you that feeling of speed while playing the game. What I was wondering the other day is: which kind of music do you usually listen when you just want to relax and forget all those fast beats.
In fact, I've always thought 'Tin there' in WO2097 soundtrack was more a chill out track than a racing one.

Well, my choice has to be Chicane. While still quite electronic sound, it's quiet enough for those moments when you're just fed up of 160 bpm. Besides, whenever I hear 'Saltwater' (great song) I think of 'Xpander' because in a Ministry of Sound album I have that is called 'Clubbers Guide to... Trance' Xpander end is mixed with Saltwater beginning.

Waiting for fellow wipers opinions.

AmishRobot
24th June 2002, 01:05 PM
I don't mind at all. What I do mind, however, is that since I moved out to the Chicago burbs, I can't get online any faster than 28k, and the nearest record store (Tower, not even a real record store) is over 15 miles away. As a result, I can't check out any of the suggestions people are making anymore. :evil:

As for relaxing music, lately I've been focused on the Cranes, Flaming Lips, and DJ Shadow. Lemon Jelly is quite nice, as well.

Lance
24th June 2002, 10:10 PM
james, you're just spoiled by broadband. i've never had it, but i dl lots of stuff through the telephone line.

what i don't understand is how people with cable or dsl can overload their systems so much that they often give out only like .47kBps! yes, pOint four seven! and can't take it any faster either. cmon, do fewer at a time so that the download will finish before you go offline! i let people have stuff at 3.75 which is apparently the maximum the modem allows, because i only allow one upload at a time unless someone is trudging along taking 5 hours to upload some dinky file when i've 3 other people queued up, then i start transferring to another person, even occasionally 3 when the second one is also taking data slowly

other music, eh? lately i've started listening to music that was made long before i was even born. [yes! it iS possible!] it actually makes me feel good instead of nervous or angry. yes, i still love NIN and radiohead, but i just don't listen to them much anymore. i do listen to newer groups sometimes, too. system of a down, goldfrapp, etc

AmishRobot
25th June 2002, 12:40 AM
You're damn right I'm spoiled by broadband. Spoiled for life! :lol:

Oooh! I forgot about Goldfrapp! Oh, yeah. Did you ever hear her version of Olivia Newton-John's "(Let's get) Physical"? Somehow, she actually made it good... and damn sexy.

I can't believe I said that, but it's true.

Vasudeva
25th June 2002, 09:31 AM
When I want to relax or to relieve my sadness, I listen to deep house (you know, club music from the mid '90s without the urge to be ultra fast). Or I play some tracks from Photek's "Form and Function". Especially "Rings around Saturn" is suitable for chilling out. And of course the lagest chunk of FSOL's "Lifeforms" CD which is still one of the best records I own.

Peace,
V.

Lance
25th June 2002, 09:40 PM
james, i've not heard that one, i'll have to check it out. thanks for the tip

AmishRobot
25th June 2002, 11:41 PM
It's a B-side on the single for Utopia. UK import only, I'm afraid. The actual title on the single is "U.K. Girls (Physical)", so if you want to risk the copyright gods and download it, that's likely what you'll find it under. Good luck.

Lance
26th June 2002, 12:16 AM
somehow the copyright gods favour the record companies, who screw all the artists except the ones who are already rich. you notice that the people who are bringing lawsuits against the
sharers are the Recording INDUSTRY Association of America. sigh. when do the artists get a piece of the profits? the RIAA wants to make money even off artists who are dead. sigh

AmishRobot
26th June 2002, 02:55 AM
I could go on for hours about copyright law and the current state of the music industry (and have been known to on several occasions), but I won't clog up the board with my peculiar brand of political nonsense. I'll just say this:

Copyright law (American in particular, but America has a nasty habit of shoving it's laws down the throats of all democratic nations) has mutated from a set of laws designed to balance the rights of creators against the rights of users, into a tool for corporations to increase their profits to ridiculous extremes. With today's technology, no amount of revisions will fix it. It must be destroyed and rebuilt from scratch.

Now back to the topic at hand, try Royksöpp... more space-lounge goodness, along the lines of Air.