PDA

View Full Version : WipEout Pulse Reviewed

infoxicated
12th October 2007, 10:11 AM
In the latest issue of HGZine:

http://www.gamerzines.com/hgzine/

9/10 - bear in mind that they wont have had access to the ship skinner tool or online multiplayer, so if you throw those into the mix we're talking about an 11/10 here! ;)

lunar
12th October 2007, 10:36 AM
lol! At least that much! Reviews.... could this mean a release is not far off the radar. :sonar :)

phl0w
12th October 2007, 11:07 AM
I don't know this magazine, and the .pdf is over 40mb! Is it worth the read, or should I just wait for Eurogamer and EDGE to review it?

could this mean a release is not far off the radar.
Infoxicated's post implies they reviewed a build far from being finished. I wouldn't hold your breath ;)

infoxicated
12th October 2007, 12:33 PM
How come all my posts on Pulse or HD imply something?! :dizzy

If my aunt had balls that would imply she was my uncle, but that isn't the case either!

tapioca
12th October 2007, 01:32 PM
Well… Does that mean that the game is gold then ? Sounds ok for a november or early december release. If the only part missing is the livery editor, we know that it's an online flash feature, not a full part of the game.
I can hardly wait, Rob…

Flashback Jack
12th October 2007, 04:28 PM
If SL's past statements are any indication, the game was probably completed a month ago. The two months leading up to their release dates are spent getting the packaging and distribution logistics together. If this is in fact the case with Pulse, we still have to wait though.

- F

0L4F
12th October 2007, 04:35 PM
"Out now", it says. If only!

Dr. Angryman
13th October 2007, 12:46 AM
At least they liked the game.... Can't wait to see what IGN thinks of it, though. That's a reveiw I'm waiting for. :)

mdhay
13th October 2007, 07:54 AM
Psm3 gave it 84%, and haven't bashed it, but they say October the 26th is the release date?

That ain't right....Isn't it:?

RJ O'Connell
13th October 2007, 03:35 PM
IGN is also listing 10/26 as the European release date.

Methinks this will end up becoming official briefly. I just have to find a good, reliable deal if I am going to import the game.

Medusa
13th October 2007, 03:42 PM
(on Importing: 34.19 GBP including shipping to Canada from HMV.com. The one site I found which specifically said it would ship overseas. :D )

Dr. Angryman
13th October 2007, 03:47 PM
Wikipedia also says October 26 release date. I guess it is not as full of sh*t after all! :g We may be looking at a November release here in the U.S. The wait may be almost over for Pulse! :hyper

0L4F
13th October 2007, 05:26 PM
Eurogamer has also been saying Oct. 26 for quite a while now, check here:

http://www.eurogamer.net/releases.php?platform=psp

\o/

Frances_Penfold
14th October 2007, 01:45 AM
DVDCrave is another option for those wanting to import to North America-- this is where I got my PAL version of Wipeout Pure.

http://www.dvdcrave.com/products/product.jsp?pid=36442

Though, my reading of the DVDCrave and HMV websites is that they are indicating a December release date. Anyway, hopefully the release date issue will be formally addressed soon :p I'm leaning towards doing the import if there is more than a one week difference between PAL and North American release dates.

This game is going to be a real kick for all Wipeout fans, I think-- "official" online play for the first time! :hyper

q_dmc12
14th October 2007, 02:54 AM
hmm...good find frank - pulse might just motivate me enough to upgrade:sonar

Rapier Racer
14th October 2007, 03:43 PM
http://uk.playstation.com/games-media/games/detail/item62324/WipEout%C2%AE-Pulse/

Lion
15th October 2007, 03:56 AM
the important parts for those that can't be bothered to click through:

Release date: November 2007
Players: 1
Ad Hoc Mode: 2-8 Players
Infrastructure Mode: 2-8 Players

MarcoM
15th October 2007, 07:19 AM
Over here in Holland it was first 7 December. And now it is set on 30 November. This is communicated on Dutch gamingsite www.psponly.nl via Sony Benelux.

Egg
22nd October 2007, 11:01 AM
Little review in the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/connected/main.jhtml?xml=/connected/2007/10/20/dlgame20.xml

Dr. Angryman
22nd October 2007, 11:04 AM
Ha ha! :lol Johnny Depp = High-speed Anti-Gravity racing!

RJ O'Connell
23rd October 2007, 02:09 AM
Interesting Analogy. What does that make Quantum Redshift? F-Zero GX? Kinetica? (But that's another issue.)

Nice to see the reviews are quite favourable...

Dogg Thang
24th October 2007, 07:31 AM
Pulse got a 7 in Edge magazine. Respectable score. I haven't read it yet so I'd be curious to see what they said about it.

Mobius
25th October 2007, 12:06 PM
Comparing that to Pure, which scored 8, I wonder why they gave it that? Is it due the fact its more of a refined game than a totally new concept?

Wont stop me anyway. :)

infoxicated
25th October 2007, 12:26 PM
Pulse got a 7 in Edge magazine. Respectable score. I haven't read it yet so I'd be curious to see what they said about it.
Nick B was saying that they marked it down because they think Wipeout is a tired franchise. It's the same reason they didn't like our F1 games and don't review the likes of FIFA - after you reach a certain number of sequels, EDGE consider the title beneath them and mark it down if they review it at all.

Dr. Angryman
25th October 2007, 01:19 PM
Tired franchise? WTF is wrong with you, EDGE?! :evil

mclarensmps
25th October 2007, 03:15 PM
Nick B was saying that they marked it down because they think Wipeout is a tired franchise. It's the same reason they didn't like our F1 games and don't review the likes of FIFA - after you reach a certain number of sequels, EDGE consider the title beneath them and mark it down if they review it at all.

I wonder what they think of Madden and Final Fantasy eh?

Chill
26th October 2007, 12:31 AM
Yeah, a great game goes a long way... if a large numeral-sequal comes along, the only thing that raters should do is pay more attention to it, not rate it down!!! :naughty

Dr. Angryman
26th October 2007, 01:21 AM
I can't believe they would rate Pulse down for such a small reason like that. I bet they wet themselves for Mario....

Frances_Penfold
26th October 2007, 04:25 AM
I wonder what they think of Madden and Final Fantasy eh?

Or some of Capcom's franchises on the Nintendo DS and GBA-- sheesh, those Megaman games are released on 6 month intervals.

I really can't understand the downgrading of a score for a franchise that releases new versions on a 2-3 year cycle, with each addition having a SIGNIFICANT increase in features. I mean, EA's whoring of Madden is one thing-- the release of Wipeout Pulse is something else entirely.

Put another way: Nintendo is frequently criticized for being too slow to update it's franchises-- most of the games only get one release per console-- but now we are criticizing a more aggressive release schedule? That's a no-win situation for a developer.

Anyway-- IMO the "real" reviews will be those done by folks at IGN and Gamespot, and even more importantly, by the folks here :)

Dr. Angryman
26th October 2007, 05:02 AM
Anyway-- IMO the "real" reviews will be those done by folks at IGN and Gamespot, and even more importantly, by the folks here :)

Amen to that! :clap I'm just a bit worried about the Gamespot reveiw. They never seemed interested in WipEout. On the other hand, IGN loves WipEout, and I'm sure they'll give it a fair score.

RJ O'Connell
26th October 2007, 10:09 PM
Both sites gave justifiably good reviews for Wipeout Pure. It's just that IGN actually recognises that Pulse is a game.

Chill
27th October 2007, 01:01 AM
Perhaps some sight tend to tie their ratings for the production outcome of the game rather than the game itself. They look to see changes in improvement of a game rather than just the outcome of the single game itself. They compare sequals with other sequals. My opinion, is that if they want a sequal to be an entirely different game, they shouldn't criticise what they don't seem to do themselves... rating a game by itself rather than having a connection...

Dogg Thang
27th October 2007, 07:02 PM
Nick B was saying that they marked it down because they think Wipeout is a tired franchise.

That's more than a little bizarre given that Pure gave the franchise a real kick up the backside and brought the game to a whole rake of new gamers. In fact, every WO game has been more different than any other racing sequels. New style, new tracks, new handling.

Not to get into a 'this game is better than that game' thing but you don't see that in most racing game sequels, especially the big hitters so it's very difficult to think of WO as a 'tired franchise'.

Medusa
27th October 2007, 07:45 PM
One could argue on the basis of improved graphics alone that Wipeout has never been a "tired" franchise. Each game as it is released has absolutely brilliant graphics compared to the last one. (Although now technology is at this point it will be hard for the studio to improve on HD resolution I suppose.) Even for a person I know who isn't in love with Pure(understatement), they'll still snail around the tracks on Vector to admire the graphics.
I own Fusion because of the graphics. Period. What does that tell you?? Or do I even want to know?...hmmm...

(It tells me that even though the game philosophy is near-absolute crap that pretty pictures still impress people...)

Dr. Angryman
27th October 2007, 09:08 PM
I'm just dissapointed that they'd rather just mark it off as something that is "tired" because it is similar to the previous game. Well, Mario games are similar to the game that came before them, as is Metroid and Halo. They are praised highly. EDGE is simply biased, looking toward what is the same instead of what is different (Mag-strips, new circuits, new team, customizable ship skins, more downloadable content, three new weapons, online gameplay, new music soundtrack, more detailed graphics, etc. I mean, seriously, how did EDGE miss all that?).

In short: Don't believe EDGE. That's my two cents. :nod

P.S. In a reason list EDGE made, they rated F-Zero higher than WipEout. :eek This means that they enjoy men in spandex suits racing than WipEout. No offense to the fans of the game, though. I just enjoy the fun and the actually cool WipEout series more....

Frances_Penfold
28th October 2007, 03:32 PM
Hah. IMO the problem with F-zero isn't the spandex, it's the piss-poor track design and the general reality that Nintendo has abandoned the franchise ;)

This probably has been a positive thing for Wipeout because it has consolidated the user base for futuristic racers into a single game-- Wipeout is the only franchise that is being aggressively developed.

We may be jumping to conclusions for the "average" showing in EDGE, but if it's really because the franchise is "tired," well, poo-ey on them. That's absurd. It's hardly the first time that magazine reviews of important game releases seem haphazardly assigned based on a reviewer's personal tastes rather than thinking about what the game's intrinsic value is. It's amusing to me how online sources have largely eclipsed paper publications in terms of actually having detailed and thoughtful reviews of software-- who woulda thunk that?

Lance
28th October 2007, 05:44 PM
Perhaps EDGE is a tired franchise?

Lion
28th October 2007, 06:46 PM
I tend to ignore most individual scores, instead looking at something like metacritic to get an overview.
sometimes the real abberations on those sites are worth reading though...

one game I was considering buying was getting high 7s, with a lot of reviews in the 8s. but one was a 2.
he listed a lot of the same positives as other reviews, but said that it didn't make up for the abysmal handling model (was a racing game) and linked to a demo
I didn't know till that point that a demo was available, but reading that review pointed me at a demo that saved me some money on a truly AWFUL game

lunar
28th October 2007, 09:56 PM
I`ve had many arguments with people who claim all Wipeout games are the same. In the first place this is ridiculous if you`ve played the games, and secondly there`s a limit to how different it can be and still be an AG racing simulator, and still be Wipeout. It has to have tracks, it has to have ships, it has to have weapons. You can`t vary it too much, just like Halo has to have futuristic looking soldiers creeping round shooting each other with guns or it won`t be Halo. Sonic has to have a blue hedgehog who runs fast. You can`t criticize it for having that in it. Their argument is irrational.

the Metacritic quote from Edge reads: "Sure, it’s another great instalment of Wipeout, but under the gloss it’s little more."

What do they expect? Do they want the pilots to start racing on hovering jetskis and pick up bananas to replenish shield energy?

Their attitude baffles me. Yet another FPS can be released and get great scores, even though, if you take that attitude, they`re all just different ways of shooting stuff, with varying setting and weapons. PGR4 will probably score marvellously, even though, when you think about it, it`s just more racing around cities trying not to crash. A game should be reviewed on its own terms, and on the basis of whether it does what it sets out to do. Anyway I know I`m preaching to the converted, but Poor Show, Edge.

Sausehuhn
28th October 2007, 10:12 PM
Hm.
For me, every WipEout plays totally different. That's it what makes the game that good; no game plays exactly like it's precursor. That is basically because every game has another handling and this is the thing the whole game is based on, thus giving another, new experience as long as it changes with every new game.
And maybe that's the point where EDGE decided to give a 7. Because - and I think nobody will deny that - Pulse has a handling very similar to Pure. It may be better and give the whole game a new level of fun, but it definetely is nothing completely new (that's a bit pity).
I'm sure I will enjoy Pulse as much as I do with Pure, most likely even more. But when we talk about the handling, the difference never will be as big as it is between 2097 and WO3 (for example).

I'm not sure if a seven is justifiable, though...

Dr. Angryman
28th October 2007, 11:41 PM
Halo 3 had similar handling to Halo 2 and Halo. You still see it sucking up terrific reveiws.

But even if Pulse handles like Pure, the way that Pulse incorporates that handling, with new track designs, ship stats, and weapons, might make it better than Pure. It's not the handling, it's the way you use it. :)

Frances_Penfold
29th October 2007, 02:13 AM
"Sure, it’s another great instalment of Wipeout, but under the gloss it’s little more."

Edge actually said THAT in their review :eek

Sheesh.

Dr. Angryman
29th October 2007, 01:44 PM
That was extremely pompous of them. :evil

mclarensmps
29th October 2007, 09:35 PM
I don't understand why a game /has/ to be groundbreaking to get a good review.

I, for one, couldn't give a toss about groundbreaking new technology, or even genre, if the games don't appeal to me.

If a great game has a great sequel, I would laud it as a massive success, as following up to something with a solid reputation is a mind numbingly tough job.

In my opinion, you boys from SL shouldn't give a f*** about what these idiots give you in numbers, as long as you got high marks on your core values!

Rapier Racer
30th October 2007, 12:07 PM
I wonder how these morons will rate GTA IV.

infoxicated
30th October 2007, 02:22 PM
Does it really matter, though?

The original Halo got marks like 10/10 and I thought it was a pile of cock (http://www.infoxicated.com/?p=680). Driver 3 got 9/10's and I had returned the piece of crap within 24 hours for a refund that the staff of GAME handed over with guilty looking faces for taking cash off of me for it in the first place.

Meanwhile, I've had plenty of enjoyment out of IndyCar Series 2005 and I'd be the first to admit it'd be lucky to scrape through the most balanced review with anything more than a 5/10.

Review scores are all fine and dandy, but they seldom relate to the experience of the individual.

mclarensmps
30th October 2007, 07:25 PM

Frankly, I couldn't give a toss as to what either IGN or Gamespot say.

I hate all reviews on anything done by anyone other than folks I know and trust personally. i.e Forum members, friends, and family. Even those, I will gauge by how I view the individual in their preferences and bias.

At the end of the day, the only thing that interests me in an anonymous review is fact and features, i.e. the talk about the content.

MarcoM
31st October 2007, 10:23 AM
Dutch review on www.insidegamer.nl

http://www.insidegamer.nl/playstationportable/wipeoutpulse/recensies/18112//?carrousel_id=2031

a 9

No negatives :)

rdmx
31st October 2007, 11:38 AM
If it's not too much work, do you mind just giving us the general gist of the review for us non dutch speaking users?

MarcoM
31st October 2007, 12:16 PM
Well actually there no info in the review that you can't find on this board. Just a very positive summing up of all the features.

The reviewer did not had the change to try the online play or the paint your ship application.

But at least the reviewer is a fan of the series. :beer

rdmx
31st October 2007, 12:50 PM
Alright thanks mate :)

Dr. Angryman
31st October 2007, 01:15 PM
That's a really positive review from Insidegamer. Great! :)

supersocks
31st October 2007, 05:41 PM
A finnish review http://pelaajalehti.com/arvostelut/pelaaja/wipeout-pulse/. Needs registration for full version, sorry. Gotta pick up paper copy tomorrow to check it out.

Mediocre score, but the free summary on that site I found particularly interesting:

"What is use for good handling and fierce speeds without fine and challenging tracks?"

To give some (odd) perspective on this review: I've seen that particular reviewer (Puha) quite many times on television and at least three times he was wearing a wip3out-T-shirt: One of them being an F-Zero GX review where he commented GX being 'best futuristic racing game since wip3out'. Later Pure was Game of the Week in the show (half of the review was fusion bashing ;) ). So I assume it's pretty safe to bet there's at least one hardcore ag-racer feeling game's too easy. :?

Rapier Racer
31st October 2007, 10:06 PM
Did someone show him where the Phantom button was yes?

Dr. Angryman
31st October 2007, 10:51 PM
That was strange review.... Did they go into detail of why they didn't like the circuits? By looking on the website, the circuits look to be the best since XL IMHO. If they're blathering idiots like EDGE, shame on them. :evil

RJ O'Connell
31st October 2007, 11:44 PM
F-Zero GX had very diverse and challenging tracks (ducks incoming tomato fire). So that point is valid.

But I would have to play the game before making a fair assessment on how challenging/unique/fun/or not the circuits are...

Chill
1st November 2007, 02:08 AM

That's more what I'd like to hear!!! Very happy!! :D

Dr. Angryman
1st November 2007, 02:10 AM
Still, the track design can't be that terrible. I mean, we've seen how the circuits look, right? They can't be so terrible that the entire game is ruined.

Dogg Thang
1st November 2007, 09:14 AM
I guess how they look and how they play are two different things but, in general, the layout in Pure was great so I can't imagine Pulse being any different.

7 in GamesTM too.

Lion
1st November 2007, 10:57 AM
I was gonna make some point about how the score was irrelevant to most people here because we're all gonna buy it anyway...

but then I realised that the problem is that taken as a whole: people are lazy.
which is why there's a number at the end of reviews, so they can skip to the end and see in a couple of digits what would otherwise be 2 pages of reading.

This is why low scores for pulse wind us up... because people with no prior exposure to wipeout will see a racing game with an average score and not bother to buy it, hurting chances for full sequels that will keep us happy.

I will say that some in this thread, though, are getting more wound up than they should. A 7 is a passing grade in game reviews... and that's the lowest we've seen :)

and who knows? maybe those reviewers are as big a fans of F-Zero as we are of wipeout?

hydroxious
2nd November 2007, 05:59 PM
One of the more reliable review sources,- sounds good:)

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=174943

Dr. Angryman
2nd November 2007, 09:56 PM
Well, that's a good review! :D

MarcoM
6th November 2007, 08:32 PM
Today for our Dutch viewers there was a review of Pulse on Gamekings. It's weekly TV show.

3 reviewers. 1 of them did not like it. He did not dig AG racing in any way. The other two were really positive. No indept info though.

*MarcoM guesses he reads too much here ;)*

Dr. Angryman
7th November 2007, 01:19 AM
If he doesn't like the concept of the game already, why did he review it in the first place? :? People who are already biased against it shouldn't be viable reviewers.

Chill
7th November 2007, 05:28 AM
Exactly... someone who wouldn't like anything about the game wouldn't pick it up in the first place, unless it was for somebody else...

It just has to have it's entertainment purpose Doctor... It's a TV show!!

MarcoM
7th November 2007, 07:09 AM
Exaclty, the guys from Gamekings also have their own magazine here in Holland. They allays try to have little arguments in order to make 'interesting' reviews for their target audiance. Not a bad thing imo.

The other two famed Pulse for it's butter smooth gameplay. One named it the best ever WO game. :rock

Piranha5p33d5
10th November 2007, 02:50 AM
Some more reading for us eager AG-heads!

PALGN Hands on w/ WipEout Pulse (http://thatsmymouse.com/ur.php?m=r&uH=13rg8u9&ur=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.palgn.com.au%2Farticle.php%3Fi d%3D9368&pId=175567&uId=16809&dKe=5b583307a4283545c48db9694513b775&lTi=0&atX=1077&atY=480&pX=1263&pY=1290&pUp=1&lAc=13&mCO=-1&uTR=16809&nCa=1194666565437)

Enjoy and ill bring you more fresh articles / stories as i find them ;)

Dj Ziggy
15th November 2007, 10:50 AM
Damn I can't wait, for the release in The Netherlands.

Rapier Racer
15th November 2007, 01:02 PM
OPM gives it an 8. This is all before the extra stuff.

Dr. Angryman
15th November 2007, 10:40 PM
http://games.kikizo.com/reviews/psp/wipeout_pulse.asp

Another 8/10. Still cant wait for the IGN review! :)

Frances_Penfold
16th November 2007, 01:02 AM
^^
I'm not familiar with "kikizo" but I found that review actually well written and useful in content :)

I too am waiting for an IGN review.

So does everybody still think that Pulse will be released in December for PAL?

stin
16th November 2007, 07:37 AM
Hopefully yes, because, my wife already ordered Pulse for me.

The only way is waiting...

Give these guys a chance.:nod

stevie:)

Sausehuhn
16th November 2007, 12:00 PM
Amazon says 12th December.
Now that there are more and more reviews out there that name December as the release month this date seems logical.
I think I'll order it there too, cause then I've the guarantee to have the game on 12th or 13th December :)
I trust Amazon more than my local games store by now...

lunar
16th November 2007, 12:55 PM
Nice review from Kikizo. I like the line "the sublime mix of smooth futuristic hover racing and shooting the crap out of your opponents holds strong to this day." How true!

They could have found it in themselves to give it a 9, but I`m being picky.

Dr. Angryman
17th November 2007, 01:23 AM
At least the gameplay was given a 9/10. That proves that the franchise is not at all tired, which our good friends at EDGE keep doubting. *starts typing more hate-mail to them* :evil

mdhay
18th November 2007, 04:01 PM
For some reason, Pulse is supposedly out now in Blackburn, but no sign of it.

Eh?

infoxicated
18th November 2007, 08:37 PM
It's not, and you can tell whoever told you that one that they're full of it.

Rapier Racer
19th November 2007, 08:28 PM
lol Blackburn only exclusive release!

Lance
19th November 2007, 11:06 PM
Goes along with the four thousand holes. Blackburn has always been singled out for special treatment. ;)

Frances_Penfold
19th November 2007, 11:14 PM
Wait, is "Blackburn" what Paul says in the song? Or am I misunderstanding the reference?

Dr. Angryman
20th November 2007, 03:29 AM
http://www.journaldugamer.com/index.php?2007/11/19/6355-wipeout-pulse-faites-pulser-la-vitesse

Another day, another review, another 8/10. This time it's in French, so can anybody who is French possibly translate this for us? PLZ?

tapioca
20th November 2007, 04:33 AM
Well, this review doesn't give any deep information about the game. The reviewer introduces himself as a wipeout fan but didn't even notice that the weapon absorb function initially came with Pure and not Pulse.
Just a few general info about the 4 speed classes, controls, weapons, electronic music, nice graphics and effects, online mode and custom music… But no word on Mag-Strips, enhanced Solo Mode, tracks, Skin Editor or even RaceBox.

Some good news from it, though:
shortened loading times
more agressive AI
no clipping

and then the reviewer's conclusion :
"no revolution, but a good evolution…" > 8/10

That's it for the non-french speaking.

Rapier Racer
20th November 2007, 10:57 AM
Wait, is "Blackburn" what Paul says in the song? Or am I misunderstanding the reference?

Blackburn is a city in England.

Frances_Penfold
20th November 2007, 02:50 PM
Right, but is the "4,000 holes" mention in Lance's post a reference to the Beattle's song, A Day in the Life?

Edit-- yes, it is!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackburn

I learn something new every day!

Asayyeah
20th November 2007, 03:18 PM
http://www.serialgamer.com/direct-486685.html
French site again and 8.5 :guitar
"one of the best psp game so far"

No real new infos tho.

DjManiac21
20th November 2007, 03:20 PM
Hey guys! Long time no see!!! :)

I'm extra happy to know Pulse is near, I'll get my a** so kicked it will be fun :P

It's good to know though that I don't need to look around anymore for an internet connection - usb dongle - software - psp combination to play online!!! :clap

Looking forward to meeting all of you guys, I'll drop some lines later to let you know a little bit about my "miss-adventures" :g

BTW, any solid word on a final release date 4 Pulse?

Laterz!

Dr. Angryman
20th November 2007, 11:55 PM
http://www.gameplanet.co.nz/mag.dyn/Previews/4356.html

A little preview of Pulse. The most important piece of information is that they say they'll review it at its launch this month. Interesting. :nod

phl0w
21st November 2007, 02:41 PM
Eurogamer reviewed Pulse today!
Read it here (http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=87923&page=1).

Unfortunately they didn't mention the custom soundtracks and how the ships handle compared to Pure, or the rest of the lot for that matter. Still a good read, although nothing new for the diligent follower of WOZ.

lunar
21st November 2007, 04:29 PM
So Halo3 gets 10 everywhere, for apparently perfecting the franchise gameplay and adding lots of extra fun features to enjoy. Wipeout games get marked down for doing the same. Well-written review, but the scoring sucks.

stin
21st November 2007, 04:52 PM
Halo3 is actually **** compare to the rest of last two halos!, My son told me that, apart the word "****" ;)

stevie:)

Dr. Angryman
21st November 2007, 06:16 PM
Yeah, game reviews are biased everywhere. If it's Mario, only sharpening the gameplay and buffening up the graphics, then WHOOPEEE! If it's WipEout, doing the exact same thing, then WHERE THE F*CK IS THE EVOLUTION?!

I'm angry now.... :brickwall

MarcoM
22nd November 2007, 12:11 PM
Why man? You know you will enjoy it. Everyone will here :)

Flashback Jack
22nd November 2007, 03:01 PM
The way I look at it, reviews may be biased if they are completely favourable or unfavourable toward a game. Balanced reviews, on the other hand, are less likely to be regarded as such. If I were reading a review, I'd be more than a bit suspicious as to what motivates and influences a person's viewpoint if it took an absolute stance on a game. Every so often, I want to see what a person dislikes so that I'm left with a more fleshed-out perspective.

- F

Dr. Angryman
22nd November 2007, 04:55 PM
Yeah, basically most of the reviews about Pulse have said something on the lines of, "It's a great game, with new features, great graphics, and an awesome soundtrack. But it doesn't do anything that will change your life, so we just have to bump the score down because Pulse dissapointed us in that department."

Chill
22nd November 2007, 08:23 PM
It'll change the lives of those new to Wipeout becoming addicted to it... ;)

tapioca
1st December 2007, 03:57 AM
I just found 2 Pulse reviews on some belgian sites. There might be a few dutch speaking people here but as i don't understand it myself, i used Babelfish to translate the page… So don't worry too much if it sounds a little weird.

Here's the first one with a 88% rating : "stronger game modes" "stunningly fluid"
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=nl_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.9lives.be%2fnode%2f102116

and then a 87% :
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=nl_en&trurl=http%3a%2f%2fwww.fragland.be%2freviews.php%3 fid%3d1161

Well, it looks like Pulse deserves to be the new Wipeout… until HD maybe but we'll discuss it later i guess.
I can't wait to see how the customize options, downloadable content and online play will rise the pleasure !

mdhay
1st December 2007, 08:12 AM
Blackburn is a city in England.

'Tis cause I live there, it's okay except from all of the drug-addicts, tax evaders and the like, especially Blackburn Rovers, they crap compared to Celtic(I'm honouring my heritage).

Scotland Rules!!!

/Tour of a complete 'hole

Dr. Angryman
2nd December 2007, 03:54 PM
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-9065051735325676493&q=wipeout+pulse&total=112&start=0&num=10&so=1&type=search&plindex=0

Spanish review of Pulse! 8/10, again.

orgy
2nd December 2007, 04:11 PM
still i don't understand why most of the reviewers play like they keep drinking coffee while piloting.

BARTgai
2nd December 2007, 04:22 PM
hmm, i like the track selection things with the little map, like on the website.

one question: Why does everyone who reviews this, know nothing of airbrakes?

zargz
2nd December 2007, 09:10 PM
I read reviews just to see the features, some pics and that's it! well nowadays even ingame vdoz.

Never trust a reviewer! :mr-t

on ign and gamespot I trust more the users/players reviews! 8)

Dr. Angryman
10th December 2007, 12:42 PM
http://www.gameplayer.com.au/Home/REVIEWS/REVIEWGAME/tabid/1486/Default.aspx?CID=63026b82-9cf8-46d4-b520-2482679c9514

An 8/10 from Gameplayer. They called it "A racing classic" and "refined and redefined". Nice news to hear. ;)

They had a strange problem with the female robot voice, however. They said it's pronounced "Kiresh" not "Qirex". Interesting.... :nod

DjManiac21
10th December 2007, 12:57 PM
Taken from the review:

"Sony has sculpted a bespoke game for the loyalest of fans. For those who’ve rocketed through two long years of Pure, Pulse is designed to reignite their racing passions."

Great :D

Can't wait!!!!

rageagainstgeorge
10th December 2007, 04:32 PM
I'm certian Halo 3 was only given perfect scores because Microsoft payed them to say it.

I'd be very happy if Pulse turns out to be a refined, sharpened version of Pure.

You know the old addage - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Pure certainly wasn't "broke", just a few areas needed a polish.

G'Kyl
10th December 2007, 06:27 PM
I'm certian Halo 3 was only given perfect scores because Microsoft payed them to say it.

I don't think so. There may be a general hype, exclusive stories and whatever, but the score was certainly up to the magazine. :)

Looking at 7s and 8s out of 10, I feel Pulse isn't getting the kind of recognition it deserves. With Pulse in mind there is surely some repetition, but in and off itself the game is awesome. It'll be interesting to see what hardcore fans will have to say in another two or three days. :)

Ben

Rapier Racer
10th December 2007, 07:27 PM
With Pulse in mind there is surely some repetition

Yeah and Halo 3/Over-hype central was really very original and nothing like the past 2 surpassing them vastly in every possible way....

infoxicated
11th December 2007, 02:03 PM
IGN Review: http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/840/840713p1.html

9/10 :+

Dr. Angryman
11th December 2007, 02:04 PM
You beat me in posting it! :p Yes, very good reveiw! ;)

Dogg Thang
11th December 2007, 02:47 PM
Great review from someone who seems to know what they're playing. That pic has zone ships competing in a non-zone track. I'm curious to see what mode that pops up in.

Hunter Gamma
11th December 2007, 03:02 PM
That pic has zone ships competing in a non-zone track. I'm curious to see what mode that pops up in.

As far as i have understood it: Every team has its own zone "skin/model". You can choose it like regular skin when you have gathered enough loaylty points for specific team.

Thing that i'm wondering is that do the AI ships get custom/bonus skins at random when starting a race if you have unlocked them. Meaning that AI pilots could have zone skin/model if that specific skin has been unlocked.
If so: :rock

Chrono
14th December 2007, 01:59 PM
I wrote a review of it for Gamefaqs, the least credible review source on the interweb. Just wrote it though, so it hasn't been accepted yet.

RJ O'Connell
14th December 2007, 06:15 PM
^ It's not entirely non-credible. Most of the reviewers actually know what they're talking about, but I know for a fact that there are exceptions.

I'm sure GameFAQs won't accept a review of, oh say, a user basically trashing (game a) because it's a (console a) game and he's a diehard (console b) fanboy. Unless it slips through the cracks...

Chrono
16th December 2007, 12:10 AM
here's my review

http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/psp/review/R120788.html

recommend it if you think it's worth anything

RJ O'Connell
16th December 2007, 04:07 PM
Brilliant stuff. If there's a sub-50K photo of a cookie floating about the internet, inform me so I may hand this gentleman one. ^^'

Hellfire_WZ
16th December 2007, 04:15 PM
http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii60/Hellfire_WZ/Untitled-1.jpg

Perfect :)

RJ O'Connell
16th December 2007, 04:36 PM
Fantastic!

Now to get one for my 18th ;) ...and we should get back on topic...

jacen
21st December 2007, 09:04 PM
my review (in german)
http://www.gamezoom.net/artikel/show/0,c3ea47d26ac5603a726eb3172b6e7a3d,1,17862.html

hf :>

Chrono
19th January 2008, 10:17 AM
The 1up show, a popular american videogame podcast, did a review of the game on their newest video. Even some of the zone players show up on the video via leaderboard. It's the last 15mins of the show.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3165514

HISHO[JP]
19th January 2008, 12:51 PM
Pulse was reviewed in....
Japanese game information site, 4Gamer.net!! (http://www.4gamer.net/games/045/G004598/20080111038/)
(need Japanese EUC-JP encoding on your browser)

But what's SCE Japan (http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/list/list_pre.html) doing....?

Frances_Penfold
13th February 2008, 02:28 AM
Pulse was reviewed by IGN (North American channel):
http://psp.ign.com/articles/851/851651p1.html

Very enthusiastic review-- hopefully this will drive some sales on our side of the pond :p

Chrono
13th February 2008, 09:59 AM
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3166172

nother review

Egg
13th February 2008, 04:20 PM
That 1up article was less a review, more an elongated sigh.

At the end, they mention 'Ryan's a Wipeout fan, and he likes this'. Well, why not get him to write the review, then?

Lance
13th February 2008, 04:37 PM
That would make far too much sense; he would be more knowledgable about the game and be able to put in historical context, describe new features relative to features of the earlier versions of the game, provide informed commentary on its relative goodness. Tsk. No, that would be fAAAAAR too logical and journalistically responsible. :)

Chrono
13th February 2008, 06:22 PM
Well if you watch the video review of the import, it's a lot better. It's a really good 10mins of conversation about the game. Should be a link on that page somewhere, it was on the 1upshow

DjManiac21
26th February 2008, 11:21 AM
And here's gamespot's review:

http://www.gamespot.com/psp/driving/wipeoutpulse/review.html?sid=6186595&om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;2

"completing everything is a daunting task." :D

"When it comes to the racing itself, Pulse is pretty much identical to Wipeout Pure and 2097 before it." -------> I see it coming :P

Rapier Racer
26th February 2008, 04:22 PM
What a load of utter horse **** :turd just validates my not visiting Gamespot since PS3s launch campaign.

Chrono
23rd March 2008, 09:31 PM
I don't think i linked the gametrailers.com review (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/31903.html) yet. Nothing earth shattering and it looks like they never race faster than flash or rapier on the video. If you're going to show wipeout footage, it has to be phantom.