PDA

View Full Version : Sol 2 - Jack's Track Attack

Flashback Jack
26th September 2007, 03:21 PM
The Scoop

The hyperlap refers to the fastest possible lap over the distance of a given track. Your aim is to find that point of terminal velocity, lay claim to it and forever anchor your name as uber overlord atop the record listings.

With Wipeout Pure being a couple years old, you will find that the existing records are already sickeningly fast as they are. The main purpose of the attack is to rekindle firey interest in Pure and shift everyone's perspective of what it means to be ultimately fast, all before the imminent release of Wipeout: Pulse.

The Ideal Denizen of the FX300 Hyperlap Underworld

A word of warning. For a lot of people, hotlapping is seriously mundane business. If however you are open to the idea of securing the title of the fastest known racer, running lap after lap to the point of unconscious familiarity, surgeon-level precision or Matrix-calibre clarity, then you are encouraged to participate.

The Tools

The fastest ship you can pick. Invariably this amounts to the Triakis. Phantom class. Single lap only in either Free Play or Time Trial modes. Recommended is Free Play mode.

The Goal

Once again, Mad-Ice's speedy 21.20 is the target. Fire at will!

Modus Operandi

On the way to the goal, discussion of strategy is encouraged. Your immovable conviction alone that you are the fastest man in the known world assures your victory, even if you are apprehensive of revealing your s3cr3ts. Post your progress in the forum of rants, raves and laptimes. Keep 'er on topic though.

- F

Flashback Jack
26th September 2007, 03:24 PM
Decided to open another attack to give everyone a break from the insanity that is Karbonis VR. Work on this somewhat more forgiving track if any of the previous attacks have baked your brain.

The FX300 race administration, as always, encourages you to fly safely.

Have a nice day.

- F

The Gracer
26th September 2007, 09:12 PM
Haha, fly safely?! Tell me, just how safe is DONT LET YOUR FINGER OFF THE THRUST UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES? :D :D :D

ill retrieve my psp from one of my other places ( not 100% on which one its at, yet ) and ill join - sol2 is a good, fluid track, the way i like it ;)

Flashback Jack
26th September 2007, 09:32 PM
just how safe is DONT LET YOUR FINGER OFF THE THRUST UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES? :D :D :D

Heh, exactly. I knew that would elicit a chuckle or two.

- F

Medusa
26th September 2007, 10:41 PM
I join you on this one with the big fat T...starting with 23.72... actually it's now 23. 26, and I was dyslexically typing the first time...Sol 2, my favourite track of Pure. It is like the Portokora of the game, the track with the most beautiful racing flow...:D

For some disgusting reason I don't have a single PL on this challenge yet, lol. Eventually I'll get there.

q_dmc12
27th September 2007, 02:23 AM
I shall venture a few hours, Sol2 is one of my personal favs as well:bat

EDIT: 32 laps later, my thumb hurts - Zone ship: 24.47

http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/8050/sol2zonephantomlrpi2.png

rdmx
27th September 2007, 03:16 AM
Heck, even I'll join :O

EDIT:
I have an old Tigron 23.12 time that is waiting to be smashed.
I couldn't beat it with 38 laps in my Triakis (blame that on forgetting that there was a turbo :O)

stin
27th September 2007, 08:09 AM
You kidding right? on my precious track!

I will do it but I`m still too busy doing other things at the moment.

stevie:naughty

Silent
27th September 2007, 10:26 AM
I'm glad to join you on this challenge^^

After a 20-lap session, 0.22.81.

That's not very good, I think I can be behind 0.22 if I use my turbo at the good moment, and with some BRs =)

Please, Flashback Asa Mad-Ice etc, where do you use your turbo on this track ? and do you do some Brs ?

alterego
27th September 2007, 12:21 PM
Hi All.

After the first free 50 laps session of Sol2 i'm to 22.09 with Triakis. No BR.

Read You Soon
CdRom

Mad-Ice
27th September 2007, 01:24 PM
My laprecord was made with one BR after using the boost. Okay here is how I did it: Start off with previous lap boost over start/finishline, sideshift hard to the right to stay in the inside of the curve to catch the speedpad. Catch the second speedpad and sideshift left, catch the other speedpad and stay on the inside of the curve as close as possible. Sideshift right on the speedpad and here is where the trick is coming; in the right curve before going straight down, use your speedboost as soon as possible to be able to fly over the inside of that same curve, do a BR and land in the middle of the track. Catch all the speedpads you can and do a sideshift right over the speedpad into the right curve, then push hard to the left and then hard to the right with sideshift to the right on the last speedpad and on to victory. :rock

I think the lap can be a very low 21.00 but I think under 21.00 is :robot

Good luck to all!!!

Medusa
27th September 2007, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the description!!It will be hard to get even close to your lap time, you are very fast!

Flashback Jack
27th September 2007, 03:23 PM
Awesome description, Ice. Shall use it fully to my advantage.

- F

Mad-Ice
27th September 2007, 03:47 PM
Thanks Medusa, you are very fast yourself too, especially in WipEout (The first version of the greatest series of all) and you are deadly with a NeGcon!!!

Thanks Flashback Jack and good practise to you. BTW did you know Sol2 is Stin's favourite track, it's funny to see when you look at the records and tick all records for 20 pilots.

Looking forward to race you both in Pulse.

stin
27th September 2007, 04:26 PM
Here is my score atm is 21.45 after 15 laps due lack of concentration! Too much on my mind!

Hopefully more to come...

stevie:)

Medusa
27th September 2007, 05:19 PM
Heehee...thanks Mad-Ice...
I got down to 22:68 in Triakis today and managed one PL, unfortunately not that one! Have only managed the BR in a Goteki so far, that is tricky to find the right spot to fire! Robot on, robot on...:robot

Flashback Jack
27th September 2007, 05:48 PM
Yes Mad-Ice, Pulse will be fierce, especially with the scoreboard Sony plans on hosting for it. It'll be our time to shine; we have to show the world how we do it Wipeout Zone style!

Back on topic, most of you are creaming me so far (only 22.94 after a brief session last night), but as the challenge proceeds, it should get interesting.

- F

borell
27th September 2007, 10:46 PM
Nice Stevie! You seem to play well when you do not concentrate. ;)

Medusa, you seem to be as dangerous on Sol2 in TT as in SR. PLs are rare for me, too.

I played 30-40 laps, but have problems adjusting to the Triakis. On the other hand, I lowered my ooold TT record from 24.91 to 22.50. I guess it is quite some time since I played Sol2 in TT... I have yet to succeed in making a barrel roll on this track. :?

Do you ever watch Futurama? I wonder if Fry talked about Mad-Ice when he said "You mean we can never catch up to him? Not even if we rub the engine with cheetah blood?"

il_NIK
28th September 2007, 11:45 AM
Hi mates,

I managed this track only for few laps (in these days I want to find the "under 18" lap on E......), and I'm 20 cents under 22 with a great amount of scratch, and not a good line.

Are you sure Mad-Ice :robot, that a BR on this track and in that position is the best thing to do? I'm working for a turbo boost as soon as possible on that curve but not so early to fly.

But your BL is the right response, by now.

I will try

lunar
28th September 2007, 12:13 PM
Good question about the BR, Nik, sometimes low is the way to go, air-time is dead-time, and other corny lines are true. But the Mad Pad Man is the champ of Pure TT, unquestionably, so someone would have to prove him wrong. ;)

Also beware the determination of the Stin on this track. 8)

Flashback Jack
28th September 2007, 12:54 PM
Also beware the determination of the Stin on this track. 8)

The determination of a Stin versus the indefatiguability of a Flashback Jack. Unstoppable force meets immovable object? Who wins? You decide. :)

- F

Lion
28th September 2007, 04:11 PM
4 ships, 50+ laps, and 4am.. best I can manage is 24.09, set in an icaras
being that barrel rolls are not a concern, doesnt that mean that triakis is not necessarily the ideal choice?

borell
28th September 2007, 04:37 PM
I just had a session myself and I am down to 22.27 now. Still no barrel roll. I think I will be happy enough if I have the patience (and the skill) to go below 22.

Silent
28th September 2007, 06:14 PM
Back to 22.18.

I'm going faster without BR =x

Flashback Jack
28th September 2007, 06:47 PM
being that barrel rolls are not a concern, doesnt that mean that triakis is not necessarily the ideal choice?

I'd rather say barrel rolls are a concern, if you hope to get reasonably close to the current record. The gain is an extra boost, the first of which is initiated on the slowest part of the track.

But in the case of this track with its gradual sweepers, I still think the "broken" Triakis is still the best option. Remember, it doesn't slow down much, even in the tightest of turns. It's an anomalous characteristic of a craft that makes it the owner of the best lap on the most tortuous track in the game, Karbonis VR. And that's despite its anaemic acceleration properties. Boggles the mind, I know.

- F

stin
28th September 2007, 10:14 PM
The determination of a Stin versus the indefatiguability of a Flashback Jack. Unstoppable force meets immovable object? Who wins? You decide. :)

- F

You will find out in the end even when Pulse comes out! ;)

Silent
29th September 2007, 08:57 AM
Now in 21.81, always without BR.

It becomes intersting =)

Mad-Ice
29th September 2007, 05:02 PM
Do you ever watch Futurama? I wonder if Fry talked about Mad-Ice when he said "You mean we can never catch up to him? Not even if we rub the engine with cheetah blood?"

I never watch it, but I will do that! Very nice quote btw, thanks for the compliment!

At Silent 21.81 without BR, very good!! My compliments!

Silent
30th September 2007, 07:42 AM
Now in 21.67, no BR at all =]

I upload the ghost, I thought it could be an intersting target for the persons who, like me, almost never can do BRs on this track.

http://files-upload.com/files/531192/UCES00001Gc3b337ec.zip

The determination of a Stin versus the indefatiguability of a Flashback Jack. Unstoppable force meets immovable object? Who wins? You decide.

Perhaps have you forgot the youth strength of Silent :D

stin
30th September 2007, 08:51 AM
You want my ghost without BR? and it`s not 21.47;)

Silent
30th September 2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah Stin, it must be a very hard and intersting ghost =)

Since my last post (just two hours ago lol), I have done better, 21.52.
I'm wiating for your ghost impatiently =]

Flashback Jack
30th September 2007, 03:54 PM
Perhaps have you forgot the youth strength of Silent :D

You may have strength, but do you have willpower? If you cede before breaking Mad-Ice's record, you've already lost, because I ain't quitting until the record falls. :)

- F

Silent
30th September 2007, 04:31 PM
I think that the record will be break until the end of the next week (my pronostic).

I hope it would be me, I can also quit if it's another person who breaks the record =)

Flashback Jack
30th September 2007, 04:46 PM
Don't quit. If someone breaks the record, think of it as a demonstration of what's possible for you and equal or better it. That's the purpose of the hyperlap challenge.

By the way, the site you posted your ghost on crashes my browser. Repeatedly. Mind uploading it to Rapidshare?

- F

Silent
30th September 2007, 04:59 PM
Don't quit. If someone breaks the record, think of it as a demonstration of what's possible for you and equal or better it. That's the purpose of the hyperlap challenge.

No prob.

Sorry for the ghost, Stin will upload his ghost soon, which is better than mine :)

What's your time on this track, actually ?

Flashback Jack
30th September 2007, 05:09 PM
Not as fast as yours yet, but getting there.

- F

Flashback Jack
30th September 2007, 09:02 PM
Man, gotta love the power of music. Lap after lap of plateau loveliness, but within five minutes of pumpin' the choons, I cut half a second off my best time. :)

- F

stin
1st October 2007, 09:33 AM
I hope that is the right ship cos it`s all codes so here it is...http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=705

EDIT I put all Sol2`s ghosts for but you will need to tell me which is which?:redface

il_NIK
1st October 2007, 10:02 AM
WOW, a venom's record :rolleyes:

On pc You are exactly like me :nod

see you again Stevie

Asayyeah
2nd October 2007, 03:21 PM
I haven't been playing a lot those past days except Kai last night with fellow RR and Sox but passion is still here : i so much like the competition
So i missed the beginning of this interesting Sol2 lap-attack which was Stin's property for a long time before the Mad Pad Man spotted a promising 21.20.

I think the lap can be a very low 21.00 but I think under 21.00 is :robot !!
:g

check this (http://www.wipeoutzone.com/user_files.php?user_id=585)

Silent
2nd October 2007, 03:27 PM
This 20.98 ghost is your record, Arnaud ?

That's awesome O_o

Flashback Jack
2nd October 2007, 03:40 PM
Awesome indeed.

Feel free to suggest the next track to attack, Arnaud. Just don't pick Ubermall. I'm still moving between Karbonis VR and Sol 2, but I'll catch up eventually. Haven't been able to put in serious game time m'self, but we'll see.

- F

Asayyeah
2nd October 2007, 04:07 PM
Thx guys , that is not a perfect lap but my BR + boost produced by it were fantastic, it costed me a little wall during last section though.

Mike, feel free to get the track you want for the next one : i am not good at choosing one :dizzy.

I am going to work a little bit on Kharbo, i had a 16.64 sunday night when testing the component cable for slim psp : that could be improved a bit

Flashback Jack
2nd October 2007, 04:33 PM
Okay, instead of creating a new challenge, we'll go back to Karbonis VR since this Sol 2 attack was created as a sort of break from Karbonis. When we completely kill off Sol and Karbonis, then I'll open another.

- F

Mad-Ice
2nd October 2007, 04:50 PM
You are an amazing :robot!! Under 21.00 sec.:rock But stin's new records on Sol2 are too good, especially Single race time. Congrates on that one stin.:clap

C'mon Flash this time Karbonis should be yours!!! :nod

stin
2nd October 2007, 06:10 PM
Thanxs Mad-Ice but I`m still not finish on sol2 and I decided to play on US version to keep it updated;)

ASA, No talking to you! (Huumpt!)

Medusa
3rd October 2007, 03:24 AM
Whoa!! I check out the new records on the home page and what do I see??Wow. Nice!!:clap

Asayyeah
3rd October 2007, 03:56 PM
I shared with Vincent through MSN a little tip for Sol2 and BR location.

Matthijs you boost a bit too early i think, i m waiting for the limit to get the boost at the top of the right curve then BR and landing after the boostpads , you are not too much in the air and you combinate 2 boosts on a row : this is even hard to control the speed while the last chicane.

Mad-Ice
4th October 2007, 05:28 AM
Aha, I will have to try that. It will take a while though before I will find the time again. This new house is almost killing me!!!:dizzy

Asayyeah
4th October 2007, 05:15 PM
Stay focused on yer new house, don't let your mind being disturbed by such a trivial thing record tables are ;)

Btw don't forget the Wipeout-bedroom , i d like to inaugurate it soon :beer

Flashback Jack
5th October 2007, 12:56 PM
Still in this, my friends.

- F

Flashback Jack
16th October 2007, 01:06 PM
*shakes off the chirping crickets*

- F

Flashback Jack
17th October 2007, 08:02 PM
So Arnaud, here's my analysis of your 20.98 ghost thus far:

You are powerfully quick into the opening bend (almost uncatchable), across the uphill to downhill sweeper. Your line through the hard right turn just before the boost point isn't as fast as it could be; I opened up a nice lead on your ghost here even while trailing you by a few ship lengths.

Your line around the bend into the boost was quite nice.

I'm not sure if you hit wall going into the S-turns, but you slowed down noticeably there. I consistently make up a lot of time on you there.

That said, there is still a fair amount in Sol 2. I would estimate that amount to be at least 1.5 to 2 tenths for a score of roughly 20.78 to 20.84. Perhaps more.

- F

Flashback Jack
18th October 2007, 12:45 PM
Rather dead thread. Have you given up, Silent? You were on a roll.

- F

Silent
19th October 2007, 12:14 PM
Rather dead thread. Have you given up, Silent? You were on a roll.

- F

Sorry, but too much work these days. I haven't recharge the battery since 1 week :/

In one week, it will be the school holidays. I will play at this moment^^

Asayyeah
19th October 2007, 03:48 PM
Nice effort and analysis on my ghost with your new 21.23 Jack, i am not sure i will touch it again since it's Stevie's preciousss track :beer

Mad-Ice
21st October 2007, 09:27 PM
Typing with psp! I did a 20.94 I think I am a robot too Arnaud! @ Jack: a 20.7something is indeed possible.

stin
21st October 2007, 09:37 PM
Guys!, you are hurting my feelings here now! :(

I am struggling to play Sol2 cos, I have not played them for a while. :(

stevie:(

Medusa
22nd October 2007, 02:36 PM
Sheesh! Nice work robots! :robot:robot And then there were two...

Flashback Jack
22nd October 2007, 04:51 PM
There shall be three in due time; just working out some programming anomalies in one of my Sol 2 subroutines..

- F

Asayyeah
22nd October 2007, 09:49 PM
Nice effort and analysis on my ghost with your new 21.23 Jack, i am not sure i will touch it again since it's Stevie's preciousss track :beer

Nice effort and analysis on my ghost with your new 20.94 Matt' , i am not sure i will touch it again since it's Stevie's preciousss track :beer

What? cut&paste? Lazy? ooooh :p

Chill
23rd October 2007, 06:51 AM
I did a 20.94...

WHAAAA?!?! That's insane!!! :o i don't think I can break the 23 second mark myself!! :p

Silent
4th November 2007, 06:35 PM
Up =p

0.21.38... not very good, but always without BR^^

Mad-Ice
4th November 2007, 09:17 PM
You are saying not very good!! I think that's incredible without a BR, I wonder what kind of lap you will be doing with a BR?

Chill
5th November 2007, 02:25 AM
I agree, that's crazy!!! I can't even get that time with BR!!!

Silent
5th November 2007, 09:57 AM
I can manage easily a BR in Rapier or Flash but almost never in Phantom =(
And I precise that I never nose down (almost impossible with the stick)^^
An important thing on the place you do the turbo is that you must take a very inside curve or a very outside curve but no a curve in the middle of the road on the turn before the turbo ; if you do that, you won't have enough time for do the BR :D

By the way, new 1st place in Sol2 in rapier race time trial, 1.39.46 :beer
And the same in Vineta, which I did 1.32.87 and you 1.32.88 x D

Mad-Ice
5th November 2007, 10:04 AM
Congrates, you beat me with the smallest margin, but you beat me!:clap

Flashback Jack
8th November 2007, 01:49 PM
Closing in. Currently at 21.16.

- F